Help with creating (and proofreading) transcripts of SOTT Talk Radio shows

Re: Help with creating (and proofreadind) transcripts of SOTT Talk Radio shows

mimimari said:
Gandalf said:
What do you think Menrva and mimimari of splitting the Sott Talk radio#4 in two. First half for one of you and the second half for the other?

Sharing sounds good to me. We could split the show in two at 1:06:12, where Joe starts talking. Menrva would you prefer to do the first or second half?

Sharing sounds great to me. I'll take the 2nd half starting at 1:06:12.

Menrva said:
mimimari said:
Gandalf said:
What do you think Menrva and mimimari of splitting the Sott Talk radio#4 in two. First half for one of you and the second half for the other?

Sharing sounds good to me. We could split the show in two at 1:06:12, where Joe starts talking. Menrva would you prefer to do the first or second half?

Sharing sounds great to me. I'll take the 2nd half starting at 1:06:12.

Carlise said:
momo said:
Gandalf said:
Carlise said:
If nobody is doing it yet, I can start on show 10 (one of my favourites :) ), got a little more free time recently.

Hi Carlise,

Go ahead with #10. I will put your name on the list.

Edited: Table updated

Hello!

I've been working on show #10 based on signing up for it here: https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,12953.msg413515.html#msg413515
Seems like it's my mistake, partly, because of the scrambled communication...

Sorry for that.

Shall we share the show, Carlise?
I could take the first hour, you the second, since I'm gone through part of it...?

Greetings,
Momo

Hi Momo,

Yeah that's okay, it's my mistake also because I should have checked the Show 10 thread to see if anyone was doing it. I've done the first 20 minutes, it took a really long time but it was a fun learning experience because you listen intently to every word! I'll start again at the one hour mark and we can merge them together for proofreading.

Also now that the table has been updated to include proofreading, the lines are scrambled. The best option for viewing it in full, as mentioned, is to zoom out (CTRL + scroll back with mouse wheel).

Also, listening to everyone talking slowed down to 50% you all sound incredibly drunk :lol:

Atuya said:
Bear said:
I'm doing Show #13: Baghdad to Boston - Terrorism Strikes the American Homeland. It is 154 min long, so you could take from the 77th min on.

Will do. Thanks.

Table updated

Show #7 The Paleo diet is up for proofreading in Transop. :)

I would be glad to proofread. I am hard of hearing, so transcripts would be great. ;D

The second hour and 17 minutes is now done and ready for proof reading :)

Attachments

• Sott show 10 transcript - Part 2.docx
    34.3 KB · Views: 6

Hi Carlisle,

Thanks for the work. If you ask for an invitation to the translation group, you will be able to post your doc in the database, called transop. Then someone else will go through it to crosscheck it against the audio. Let's face it, transcription is really hard! Stuff get missed, no matter how careful one tries to be. So this is an extra sort of 'quality control" step. You'll see a few I've put up that need another set of ears/eyes to do that.

herondancer said:
Hi Carlisle,

Thanks for the work. If you ask for an invitation to the translation group, you will be able to post your doc in the database, called transop. Then someone else will go through it to crosscheck it against the audio. Let's face it, transcription is really hard! Stuff get missed, no matter how careful one tries to be. So this is an extra sort of 'quality control" step. You'll see a few I've put up that need another set of ears/eyes to do that.

Yeah I know, you tend to miss your own mistakes, especially when you've been staring at the document for hours! There were a few bits of speech that I couldn't pick up, especially the last caller (paul). I also paraphrased some sentences which were poorly constructed (due to it being a radio show), to help with readability, but tried to still keep the informal style of the audio version.

I would like an invitation to this group, though I'm not sure exactly how to go about it?

Also if anyone, particularly those doing the longer shows, would like to split the transcribing work, then I'd be happy to offer help.

Carlise said:
Yeah I know, you tend to miss your own mistakes, especially when you've been staring at the document for hours! There were a few bits of speech that I couldn't pick up, especially the last caller (paul). I also paraphrased some sentences which were poorly constructed (due to it being a radio show), to help with readability, but tried to still keep the informal style of the audio version.
I would like an invitation to this group, though I'm not sure exactly how to go about it?

Also if anyone, particularly those doing the longer shows, would like to split the transcribing work, then I'd be happy to offer help.

So I have a question about the above bold. I'm transcribing exactly what I can determine was said without changing anything around. I try to break up thoughts with ... and commas if they are incomplete or change direction without completion. I find this is what takes the most time with a lot of replay, etc. I thought I read that we want to be as close to what was said when transcribing?

Bear said:
Carlise said:

So I have a question about the above bold. I'm transcribing exactly what I can determine was said without changing anything around. I try to break up thoughts with ... and commas if they are incomplete or change direction without completion. I find this is what takes the most time with a lot of replay, etc. I thought I read that we want to be as close to what was said when transcribing?

I tried not to change any of the actual words used. However I didn't think it would be necessary to keep in all the filler phrases, like when a person starts a sentence, then changes it a bit and repeats themselves.

Carlise said:

I think webglider would appreciate very much your help.

Carlise said:

Thank you for your offer Carlise. Give us a couple of days and we should be able to send the invitations to those who were interested.

Carlise said:
Bear said:
Carlise said:

I tried not to change any of the actual words used. However I didn't think it would be necessary to keep in all the filler phrases, like when a person starts a sentence, then changes it a bit and repeats themselves.

I do this too, though with the Judy Wood show, I put everything in with her, because I thought it helped give a sense of her in person. I don't change the person's words at all, even when the grammar alarms are ringing, except for the extra 'you knows', and even then I will leave some in. Sometimes I'll leave in some of the filler phrases too, if it shows where a thought might have been going. A transcript is about what the person actually said, not an interpretation of it. It's not a college lecture, and giving it that live feeling is important, at least to me.

edit: added stuff

herondancer said:
Carlise said:
Bear said:
Carlise said:

I do this too, though with the Judy Wood show, I put everything in with her, because I thought it helped give a sense of her in person. I don't change the person's words at all, even when the grammar alarms are ringing, except for the extra 'you knows', and even then I will leave some in. A transcript is about what the person actually said, not an interpretation of it. It's not a college lecture, and giving it that live feeling is important, at least to me.

Yeah, there were loads of times where my fingers just typed things in my own wording, and I had to stop, like "hang on a minute, that's not what they said!" and go back. There's a fine balance between subtle editing for clarity, and injecting my own personal take. Certainly a useful self observation exercise :)

Carlise said:
herondancer said:
I do this too, though with the Judy Wood show, I put everything in with her, because I thought it helped give a sense of her in person. I don't change the person's words at all, even when the grammar alarms are ringing, except for the extra 'you knows', and even then I will leave some in. A transcript is about what the person actually said, not an interpretation of it. It's not a college lecture, and giving it that live feeling is important, at least to me.

Yeah, there were loads of times where my fingers just typed things in my own wording, and I had to stop, like "hang on a minute, that's not what they said!" and go back. There's a fine balance between subtle editing for clarity, and injecting my own personal take. Certainly a useful self observation exercise :)

:thup: Everything can be Work. Good job!

Hi,

I'd like to help with proof reading/transcription if possible. I see all of the slots for initial transcribing have already been filled out. Do message me if you can use an extra pair of hands (and ears) for this job.. ;)

You can apply to Gandalf join the translation group where the docs will be posted. Then you can choose a doc and re-listen to its show while reading along to make sure nothing was missed and make corrections. When you get the invitation from the translation group (it might take a couple of days) you'll get a guide to how it all works. Thanks for the offer!

Back
Top Bottom