Help with creating (and proofreading) transcripts of SOTT Talk Radio shows

trendsetter37 said:
Hi all,

I would like to join the team and help with transcription/ proofreading.

Hi trendsetter37,

The translation/transcriber team will be happy to welcome you. :clap:

So, an invitation to join the group has just been sent to you.

Please post a little intro as soon as you have joined the group.

And as you know, please remember the following note which is very important for all translators/transcribers :

"Notice to all those interested in volunteering to do translations/transcriptions: We would also like to strongly suggest that you participate regularly in the forum. As you can imagine, translating SOTT/QFS/FOTCM/Cass material also requires a desire to work on the self. This project, believe it or not, is a very useful tool for us all, as we learn a lot about ourselves, networking and the material itself while doing it. But most of the networking and work on the self needs to be done in the forum. The more you participate, the more you learn and the more other members learn with you! "

Just a quick update on show 16. I've received the first hour from Stoneboss, and I did the remaining 1.30 a few days ago. I've been very busy, however, so still need some time to put it all together. I'll most likely finish it off after work tomorrow and upload to transOp :)

Re: Help with creating (and proofreadind) transcripts of SOTT Talk Radio shows

Okay, so it's been quite a learning experience this week. Just uploaded the IT of SOTT Talk Radio show #17 on transop.

I thought it'd be easy enough to transcribe a radio show session, and I was so very wrong. I had a lot of trouble initially, in trying to figure out Niall and Joe's Irish accent and even differentiating among the two of them. But the whole learning process kinda sped up exponentially. The first day, I could barely transcribe 4 mins of the show in 4 hours, and even then, the transcript was filled with errors. But I could cover 10 mins the next day and then 25 mins, and then yesterday, I was able to transcribe around 45 mins of audio in 8-10 hours. Overall it might have taken me upto 20-25 hours of consistent work to do the job I had taken up. I am still very slow (currently transcribing 5-6 mins of audio/hr), but I can definitely make out what it's being said a lot more clearly now. And then by the time I reached the end of the transcript, I could go back to the earlier part of the IT and correct the errors much more easily. They all seemed "obvious" now. I still do get confused between Niall and Joe's accent sometimes though. :P

It was also funny how sometimes my unconscious brain would rephrase the sentence and shift a couple of words here and there, or, after having gotten primed to an idea, it would start interpreting many phrases in that context even if something else was being said.

And basically, how just really ashamed I feel now, of having taken for granted all the awesome material that's available here on the forum and SOTT, without having given much thought as to how this huge pile of work that gets completed so smoothly, is humanly possible. This network kicks ass.

So, I'd like to share a few suggestions and also what I've learnt so far:

Firstly, this software, Express Scribe, as herondancer rightly says, was of immense help:

herondancer said:
Hi all,

I've uploaded the Climate change show #5 for proofreading. You'll see a couple of names in yellow highlight, because the spelling still needs to be confirmed. I've also found a nifty free transcribing program called Express Scribe here:

http://download.cnet.com/Express-Scribe/3000-2079_4-10060252.html

they'll bug you a bit to buy the full version, but for purposes here it works great!

I would like to start on show #15 (DOCTOR Wood's show :evil:). It's going to take a while, as it ran a full three hours, so I figured by the time it's done, the other shows will be ready. Or would it be better to fill in the early ones?

The ability to slow down the audio and control the software using system-wide hotkeys is really great when you are typing in MS Word. It takes away a lot of pain that you'll otherwise have to undergo. But even then, I still don't know how herondancer finished transcribing three shows in such a short time, because frankly, I'm whooped!

There is also a speech detection feature in it that allows the software to take dictation. For the dictation to be accurate though, you first have to set up a user profile where you train the computer to recognize your voice as explained here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/voice-text-dictation-express-scribe/

So if somehow, we could hook up Niall, Joe, Jason and the show's guests' mic to separate computers (which have been trained to recognize the individual voices), the software will be able to transcribe the show automatically. I'm just putting the idea out there in case somebody in the team wants to take it up.

Secondly, it'll be good to post all the links to the various sources that are cited/talked about during the show, on the show's thread here on the forum. Like, for STR_17, there were like four or five external resources that were talked about, Abu Nusaybah's interview, Mark Walsh's interview, a couple of news articles and an excerpt from "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion". I found most of the stuff out by googling the terms but I think, in general, it'll be useful for the listeners of the show to be able to get direct links to the sources as well. They can be posted separately after the show has aired.

Thirdly, we can chop up the work of jotting down the initial transcript, of the new STR shows, into smaller, 20 minute long parts, which can then be dealt with much more quickly. The final IT can be assembled together using the various parts as people bring them in. We'll then be effectively doing the work in parallel and this will reduce the weekly load on everyone, as well as speed up the process of getting the transcripts up on the SOTT page for the readers.

Lastly, I must say, I have developed a deep gratitude just for the Cassiopaean session transcripts that are available on the website, when I think about how many hours of effort that must have been put into getting it all done and the fact that the transcripts for new sessions are posted almost on the same day as the sessions themselves. Not to mention the magnitude of the work that's otherwise managed by the SOTT/Cassiopaean group.
You guys have my respect. Kudos. :)

Re: Help with creating (and proofreadind) transcripts of SOTT Talk Radio shows

chrismcdude said:
Okay, so it's been quite a learning experience this week. Just uploaded the IT of SOTT Talk Radio show #17 on transop.

I thought it'd be easy enough to transcribe a radio show session, and I was so very wrong. I had a lot of trouble initially, in trying to figure out Niall and Joe's Irish accent and even differentiating among the two of them. But the whole learning process kinda sped up exponentially. The first day, I could barely transcribe 4 mins of the show in 4 hours, and even then, the transcript was filled with errors. But I could cover 10 mins the next day and then 25 mins, and then yesterday, I was able to transcribe around 45 mins of audio in 8-10 hours. Overall it might have taken me upto 20-25 hours of consistent work to do the job I had taken up. I am still very slow (currently transcribing 5-6 mins of audio/hr), but I can definitely make out what it's being said a lot more clearly now. And then by the time I reached the end of the transcript, I could go back to the earlier part of the IT and correct the errors much more easily. They all seemed "obvious" now. I still do get confused between Niall and Joe's accent sometimes though. :P

It was also funny how sometimes my unconscious brain would rephrase the sentence and shift a couple of words here and there, or, after having gotten primed to an idea, it would start interpreting many phrases in that context even if something else was being said.

And basically, how just really ashamed I feel now, of having taken for granted all the awesome material that's available here on the forum and SOTT, without having given much thought as to how this huge pile of work that gets completed so smoothly, is humanly possible. This network kicks ass.

So, I'd like to share a few suggestions and also what I've learnt so far:

Firstly, this software, Express Scribe, as herondancer rightly says, was of immense help:

herondancer said:
Hi all,

I've uploaded the Climate change show #5 for proofreading. You'll see a couple of names in yellow highlight, because the spelling still needs to be confirmed. I've also found a nifty free transcribing program called Express Scribe here:

http://download.cnet.com/Express-Scribe/3000-2079_4-10060252.html

they'll bug you a bit to buy the full version, but for purposes here it works great!

I would like to start on show #15 (DOCTOR Wood's show :evil:). It's going to take a while, as it ran a full three hours, so I figured by the time it's done, the other shows will be ready. Or would it be better to fill in the early ones?

The ability to slow down the audio and control the software using system-wide hotkeys is really great when you are typing in MS Word. It takes away a lot of pain that you'll otherwise have to undergo. But even then, I still don't know how herondancer finished transcribing three shows in such a short time, because frankly, I'm whooped!

There is also a speech detection feature in it that allows the software to take dictation. For the dictation to be accurate though, you first have to set up a user profile where you train the computer to recognize your voice as explained here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/voice-text-dictation-express-scribe/

So if somehow, we could hook up Niall, Joe, Jason and the show's guests' mic to separate computers (which have been trained to recognize the individual voices), the software will be able to transcribe the show automatically. I'm just putting the idea out there in case somebody in the team wants to take it up.

Secondly, it'll be good to post all the links to the various sources that are cited/talked about during the show, on the show's thread here on the forum. Like, for STR_17, there were like four or five external resources that were talked about, Abu Nusaybah's interview, Mark Walsh's interview, a couple of news articles and an excerpt from "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion". I found most of the stuff out by googling the terms but I think, in general, it'll be useful for the listeners of the show to be able to get direct links to the sources as well. They can be posted separately after the show has aired.

Thirdly, we can chop up the work of jotting down the initial transcript, of the new STR shows, into smaller, 20 minute long parts, which can then be dealt with much more quickly. The final IT can be assembled together using the various parts as people bring them in. We'll then be effectively doing the work in parallel and this will reduce the weekly load on everyone, as well as speed up the process of getting the transcripts up on the SOTT page for the readers.

Lastly, I must say, I have developed a deep gratitude just for the Cassiopaean session transcripts that are available on the website, when I think about how many hours of effort that must have been put into getting it all done and the fact that the transcripts for new sessions are posted almost on the same day as the sessions themselves. Not to mention the magnitude of the work that's otherwise managed by the SOTT/Cassiopaean group.
You guys have my respect. Kudos. :)

Thanks so much chrismcdude. :clap:

Please don't hesitate to share it also on the yahoo group if it is not already done.

Also please write a post on the yahoo group telling that you have finished transcribing it and that it is ready for the proofreading.

Table updated.

Here is Show #8, up for proofreading/editing. Sorry for the delay.

Attachments

• Show_8_Transcript.docx
    83.4 KB · Views: 6
Show #16 is ready for proofreading. Am I correct that this is the database to which we upload it?

http://cassiopaea.org/transop/

Have we been given access to this, or do we need to request a username and password?

Carlise said:
Show #16 is ready for proofreading. Am I correct that this is the database to which we upload it?

Have we been given access to this, or do we need to request a username and password?

Yep, that's the database where all translations are stored. You would need to join the Sott Translate Group on yahoo first. Send Gandalf a PM for an invite to the same.

After you have joined the yahoo translate group, post a new message, a brief introduction, to the group. Gandalf will then create a new transop account for you and send you the login details as well as a tutorial doc on using transop.

Hope that helps. :)

chrismcdude said:
Carlise said:

Yep, that's the database where all translations are stored. You would need to join the Sott Translate Group on yahoo first. Send Gandalf a PM for an invite to the same.

After you have joined the yahoo translate group, post a new message, a brief introduction, to the group. Gandalf will then create a new transop account for you and send you the login details as well as a tutorial doc on using transop.

Hope that helps. :)

Thank you :)

Carlise said:

Hi Carlise,

I am always waiting for the intro post before giving access to the database.

I have just seen that you have done that so I have just welcomed you officially and sent you an username and password for the database.

Gandalf said:
Carlise said:

Hi Carlise,

I am always waiting for the intro post before giving access to the database.

I have just seen that you have done that so I have just welcomed you officially and sent you an username and password for the database.

Thank you Gandalf . I've made a newbie error :-[ and wanted to proof read a file (show 7) with a red X (I assume it's already being proofread already). Then I uploaded a new file (same file) as per the instructions, called ""
If someone could please delete this file, that would be great. I swear my IQ has halved since beginning the mercury detox :rolleyes: .

Hey Carlise did it have the same exact filename with #7 in the title? I did a quick search and couldn't find it on transop.

Carlise said:
Thank you Gandalf . I've made a newbie error :-[ and wanted to proof read a file (show 7) with a red X (I assume it's already being proofread already). Then I uploaded a new file (same file) as per the instructions, called ""
If someone could please delete this file, that would be great. I swear my IQ has halved since beginning the mercury detox :rolleyes: .

Please give me the number of the file to delete.

By the way, have you taken the time to read the Guide?

Moreover let continue that discussion in the yahoo group.

Menrva said:
mimimari said:
Gandalf said:
What do you think Menrva and mimimari of splitting the Sott Talk radio#4 in two. First half for one of you and the second half for the other?

Sharing sounds good to me. We could split the show in two at 1:06:12, where Joe starts talking. Menrva would you prefer to do the first or second half?

Sharing sounds great to me. I'll take the 2nd half starting at 1:06:12.

I have finished the transcription. I was going to go through it one more time in an attempt to decipher what is said in some places. That will be done today.

I would love to help with the proof reading, too. Can I get an invite to the group?

Back
Top Bottom