Help with creating (and proofreading) transcripts of SOTT Talk Radio shows

Re: Help with creating (and proofreadind) transcripts of SOTT Talk Radio shows

Gandalf said:
Carlise said:
Also if anyone, particularly those doing the longer shows, would like to split the transcribing work, then I'd be happy to offer help.

I think webglider would appreciate very much your help.

Carlise said:
I would like an invitation to this group, though I'm not sure exactly how to go about it?

Thank you for your offer Carlise. Give us a couple of days and we should be able to send the invitations to those who were interested.

Actually I could use some help as well. I'm working on show #16 and have spent about 4 hours on it so far, and I'm only into 16 minutes of the show! I am starting to speed up though, (found a foot pedal on craigslist, which really helps), but with a two and a half hour show, it could take me quite a bit more time than I originally thought. Help would be greatly appreciated!

If anyone is using Express Scribe, the F keys work like a foot pedal

F4= Stop
F7= Back up a little (you can set how far in Options)
F9=Play - at whatever speed you set on the bar slider

There's a few more, but those are the ones I use the most. It's really nice to be able to incorporate the controllers with your keystrokes.

I just uploaded the transcription of the show # 11: Good Science, Bad Science – Psychology and Psychiatry into transop database. It's ready for proofreading. As herondancer wrote here,

herondancer said:
I don't change the person's words at all, even when the grammar alarms are ringing, except for the extra 'you knows', and even then I will leave some in. Sometimes I'll leave in some of the filler phrases too, if it shows where a thought might have been going. A transcript is about what the person actually said, not an interpretation of it. It's not a college lecture, and giving it that live feeling is important, at least to me.

I also think that is important to leave everything as it was, although I maybe overdid it a bit. :) It adds much more liveliness and flow, which is important, especially for the hearing impaired people, osit. I included everything that could possibly describe the atmosphere in the studio during the show (I only wish, I could do it better). And that was wonderful! Warm and caring. Normal interaction between the human beings.

It took me 2 weeks working daily for many hours, but I'm glad I did it by hand (well, by hand and by ears :) ), not using the transcribing program. I did this way on purpose to check how well I listen, understand and remember. And I listen this show twice before, but while transcribing I was shocked how much I missed previously. So, yes, it was very useful exercise, especially for me, being non-English speaker...and listener:). Moreover, I had to read a lot of materials related to the subjects discussed during the show. That was very useful as well.

Stoneboss said:
Gandalf said:
Carlise said:
Also if anyone, particularly those doing the longer shows, would like to split the transcribing work, then I'd be happy to offer help.

Carlise said:
I would like an invitation to this group, though I'm not sure exactly how to go about it?

Thank you for your offer Carlise. Give us a couple of days and we should be able to send the invitations to those who were interested.

Actually I could use some help as well. I'm working on show #16 and have spent about 4 hours on it so far, and I'm only into 16 minutes of the show! I am starting to speed up though, (found a foot pedal on craigslist, which really helps), but with a two and a half hour show, it could take me quite a bit more time than I originally thought. Help would be greatly appreciated!

Whitecoast has still not responded to my offer so I have no idea where he currently is. I understand he's dealing with health issues, though.
In the meantime, I can help with show #16. Will start at the 1 hour mark.

Carlise said:
Stoneboss said:
Gandalf said:
Carlise said:

Carlise said:

Whitecoast has still not responded to my offer so I have no idea where he currently is. I understand he's dealing with health issues, though.
In the meantime, I can help with show #16. Will start at the 1 hour mark.

Ok, thanks Carlise.

chrismcdude said:
Hi,

I'd like to help with proof reading/transcription if possible. I see all of the slots for initial transcribing have already been filled out. Do message me if you can use an extra pair of hands (and ears) for this job.. ;)

Hi chrismcdude,

The translation/transcriber team will be happy to welcome you. :clap:

So, an invitation to join the group has just been sent to you.

Please post a little intro as soon as you have joined the group.

And as you know, please remember the following note which is very important for all translators/transcribers :

"Notice to all those interested in volunteering to do translations/transcriptions: We would also like to strongly suggest that you participate regularly in the forum. As you can imagine, translating SOTT/QFS/FOTCM/Cass material also requires a desire to work on the self. This project, believe it or not, is a very useful tool for us all, as we learn a lot about ourselves, networking and the material itself while doing it. But most of the networking and work on the self needs to be done in the forum. The more you participate, the more you learn and the more other members learn with you! "

Gandalf said:
Carlise said:

Hi Carlise,

And as you know, please remember the following note which is very important for all translators/transcribers :

"Notice to all those interested in volunteering to do translations/transcriptions: We would also like to strongly suggest that you participate regularly in the forum. As you can imagine, translating SOTT/QFS/FOTCM/Cass material also requires a desire to work on the self. This project, believe it or not, is a very useful tool for us all, as we learn a lot about ourselves, networking and the material itself while doing it. But most of the networking and work on the self needs to be done in the forum. The more you participate, the more you learn and the more other members learn with you! "

Samuel said:
I would be glad to proofread. I am hard of hearing, so transcripts would be great. ;D

Hi Samuel,

Rick3 said:
Hi All. I would love to help with proofreading if you still need people for this.

Hi Rick3,

The table has been updated.

https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,31252.msg413444.html#msg413444

If something is missing or wrong, let me know.

Thanks to all for your great contribution.

Gandalf said:
chrismcdude said:
Hi,

I'd like to help with proof reading/transcription if possible. I see all of the slots for initial transcribing have already been filled out. Do message me if you can use an extra pair of hands (and ears) for this job.. ;)

Hi chrismcdude,

Hi Gandalf,

I updated my email address on 24th June, 2013 because the one I had mentioned in my profile earlier is being used by someone else. I couldn't find the invitation in my current mailbox. Please resend it to (erased) . Really sorry for the confusion. Really looking forward to joining the translation group!

Mod's note: Email erased for privacy.

Olesya said:
I also think that is important to leave everything as it was, although I maybe overdid it a bit. :)

FWIW, the only thing I've been omitting are the 'under-the breath' comments, usually affirmations, of the other hosts while one is clearly talking. However, if it is a full blown "Yeah" or "Exactly" by another speaker that creates a stop in the discourse, that's obviously an important part of the conversation.

But agreed, transcribing is quite an eye (ear) opening exercise.

One of many thing I noticed in the C transcripts is the writing of "full-spectrum
recording" which is very hard to do. By "full-spectrum recording", I mean to
say, transcribing the cues, voice, sounds, visual, body-language, body-feeling,
environmental changes, people moving in/out of a scene, ..., to faithfully record
the full-script of the scenes into text.

And I would to thank all of the transcribers (scribes) for doing this great
work, as it is very much appreciated!

Kudos!

Hi,

I'll like to take up the work of transcribing Sott Talk Radio Show #17: 'It's all a hoax!' The madness of conspiracy theorists. Will add a new blank document to transop for the same.

Back
Top Bottom