The Ice Age Cometh! Forget Global Warming!

Apart from Mallorca being hit by snow (also reported on SOTT), Barcelona is also covered with snow:

BARCELONA UNDER SNOW, RED ALERT ISSUED IN MALLORCA

Descending Arctic air into Central and Western Europe has delivered snow to the likes of Barcelona:

Aemet has also issued an incredibly rare red alert for Mallorca, Spain’s largest Balearic Island in the Mediterranean, with heavy snow–as much as 50 cm (1.64 ft), and freezing lows–below -2C (28.4F) hitting the Tramuntana Mountains — with the snow line falling to a historic 100 m (328 ft).

The snow has led to many road closures across Spain.

And across central and western Europe, temperatures are holding well-below the norm which has been the case throughout February. I can attest here in central Portugal, where I’ve taken to heating my polytunnel with tea light heaters in order to protect my tender starts.

Following Fridays record-breaking surface mass balance (SMB) gains, the Greenland ice sheet has been at it again.

Monday, February 27 saw the sheet gain another 9 gigatons:

[DMI]

ANTARCTICA COOLS

Antarctica is cooling — the data is clear and undeniable.

Any ice loss at the ‘bottom of the world’ is due to circulation patterns (i.e. winds) within the Antarctic vortex–which is particularly strong (and cold) this year. These winds are driving sea ice offshore and into the oceans — the ice is not melting due to human prosperity (i.e. CO2 emissions) as the establishment would have us believe.

–It can’t be: Antarctica has been exceptionally cold in recent years, posting its coldest-ever coreless winter (April-Sept) last year, and routinely holding below monthly averages and busting a string of low temperature records ever since.

As recently as Monday, February 27, Dome Fuji, a Japanese Base station in Antarctica, dropped to -58.1C (-72.6F). This is now the lowest global temperature in February 2023, usurping the historically frigid -57.9C (-72.2F) logged at Oymyakon, Siberia earlier in the month.

Winter storms continue to dump humongous amounts of snow in California with still more in the forecast. Report for the last few days of February -

Residents of Soda Springs, California, are dealing with an estimated 36 feet of snowfall this winter, with more predicted on the way.
Residents of Soda Springs, California, are dealing with an estimated 36 feet of snowfall this winter, with more predicted on the way.

A string of back-to-back winter storms have lashed the West this week, delivering blizzard conditions and heavy snowfall to many areas in California.

The days long brutal conditions left many stranded, shut down highways, knocked out power to thousands of homes and buried roads in snow as communities ran low on supplies.

Last week, the National Weather Service in Los Angeles issued its first blizzard warning since 1989. Over the weekend, the weather service's local office in San Diego issued its first-ever blizzard warning for the San Bernardino County mountains

Blizzard warnings remain in effect Wednesday across the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range, where up to 2 feet of additional snowfall are possible through Wednesday morning.

The San Bernadino Mountain Range could see between 1 and 3 feet of additional snowfall, with gusts up to 75 mph.

Here are some of the highest snow totals over the past day

Palisades Tahoe, California: 38 inches

Soda Springs, California: 36 inches

Central Sierra Snow Lab, California: 36 inches

Homewood Mountain, California: 36 inches

Kirkwood Meadows, California: 30 inches

Twin Bridges, California: 28 inches

Northstar, California: 27 inches

Tahoma, California: 27 inches

Mt. Rose Ski Base, Nevada: 20 inches

Mammoth Mountain, California: 20 inches

Washougal, Oregon: 18 inches

West Cape Horn, Oregon: 17 inches

Portland Airport, Oregon: 7.5 inches

Here are some of the highest snow totals over the past 2 days

Soda Springs, California: 52 inches

Kirkwood Meadows, California: 43 inches

Twin Bridges, California: 39 inches

Kingvale, California: 36 inches

Donner Peak, California: 36 inches

Brighton Crest, Utah: 33 inches

Teton Village, Wyoming: 28 inches

Winter storms continue to dump humongous amounts of snow in California with still more in the forecast. Report for the last few days of February -

Yes sir. We're only at about 2400ft elevation and received upwards of 2 feet yesterday. Up to our knees. Certainly a record which will likely go unreported. 🙄 Have never seen so much in 24 hours in the 10+ years we've been here.

It made the morning walk with the "where'd she go?" mini Aussie quite humorous.

Last edited:

BARCELONA UNDER SNOW, RED ALERT ISSUED IN MALLORCA

Descending Arctic air into Central and Western Europe has delivered snow to the likes of Barcelona:

Snow | Barcelona / Balearic Islands

Here you can see the satellite chart (1) from yesterday 28 Feb 2023, which marks the snow showers which got pulled down over East Spain and the Baleares due to a cyclone near by.

Today (2) this system has moved to Italy, and shows - in my opinion - shows a light signature that of a sub-tropical storm (eye) which often is called "Medicane".

SAT_1_2023022811_44.jpg

SAT_1_2023030118_44.jpg

Yosemite National Park breaks decades-old snowfall record, closing national park indefinitely - snow 15 FEET deep after recent storms

nnnnnnnnnn
Cabin roofs at Yosemite National Park are almost completely covered with snow. At the park's Badger Pass ski area, snow is up to the second floor of the lodge. In the Yosemite Valley, snow accumulation broke a 54-year-old daily record — by multiple inches.

The historic snowfall in the Sierra Nevada from back-to-back winter storms has closed the world-famous park indefinitely while rangers and park staffers work to respond to the epic snowpack.

"In all of my years here, this is the most snow that I've ever seen at one time," said Scott Gediman, a spokesperson for Yosemite and ranger for 27 years. "This is the most any of us have ever seen."

The park known for its impressive granite formations and stunning waterfalls initially announced Saturday it would close because of severe winter weather, with plans to reopen by Thursday. But after additional snowfall though early Wednesday, officials for the national park announced it would remain closed, without a specific date to reopen.

As of late Tuesday, officials measured 40 inches of snow in the Yosemite Valley — among the park's lowest elevations — setting a record for the date, Gediman said. The previous record on the valley floor had been set at 36 inches on Feb. 28, 1969.

Park officials said up to 15 feet of snow had fallen in some higher-elevation areas in recent days, making travel extremely dangerous, if not impossible.

"Over the past week or so, here in Yosemite National Park, along with the Sierra Nevada, [we have] been receiving record amounts of snowfall," Gediman said.

Images shared from across the park show snow almost completely blocking a doorway, covering park buildings with several feet of snow and evidence of a likely avalanche.

"There's just a huge amount of snow everywhere," Gediman said.

The park's ski area hasn't had decent snowpack for the last five years or so because of the drought, he said, but as of Wednesday, snow is up to some of the chair lifts and the second floor of the lodge.

Experts say this year could bring record snowfall for parts of California.

A blizzard warning for the entire Sierra Nevada remains in effect through 4 p.m. Wednesday, following days of such extreme conditions. Up to 6 additional feet of snow were possible from this week's winter storm, as well as wind gusts up to 75 mph, the warning said.

That new snowfall comes on top of the significant accumulation from the last storm, which dumped fresh powder on the park Friday and Saturday. It's hard to say which band brought in more snow because there was little time between the two systems, Gediman said, but both were significant.

Clearing the roadways and keeping staffers safe are the park's main priorities right now, as well as clearing the snow load off roofs, getting in additional supplies and restoring power, Gediman said. Yosemite has reported no injuries from the storms.

"What we're doing is literally taking it one day at a time," Gediman said, unable to give an estimate for reopening.

"We're just digging out and doing the best we can to remove the snow and get the park ready for visitors in a safe manner."

With all these record snowfall in California and Nevada, to mention just those two states, it's hard not to imagine the mayhem when all that snow eventually melts...
If they get a big soaker along with the snowmelt, it could trigger huge floods. The amount of water soil can hold if it’s properly managed with things like regenerative ranching is vast, otherwise the water runs overland causing enormous destruction. As an example in Africa from Allan Savory, they had roughly the same amount of rain fall on both his land and some neighboring land, the river on his property rose 2-3 feet, on the neighboring land it was somewhere around 12 feet.

The conditions largely determine the destruction and we’ve been creating conditions conducive to destruction for some time.

You could look at the destruction from Hurricane Katrina in the same framework. Years of cutting channels through the Mississippi River delta essentially eroded lots of barrier islands and reduced the ability to absorb the storm surge, so there was massive destruction. Lots of it can be chalked up to ignorance of how Nature works…. Might tie that into the recent comment of the C’s about psychic health and overpopulation. Can you ever be psychically healthy and be ignorant of Nature’s cycles?

With all these record snowfall in California and Nevada, to mention just those two states, it's hard not to imagine the mayhem when all that snow eventually melts...
Traditionally the snow melts slowly over the course of spring and into summer, keeping the streams and rivers full (and salmon/trout happy). The rain, at least until April, is at lower elevations. The mountains will still be getting snow. Ideally.

Reality is there have been so many wildfires that many areas (think many thousands of acres) are no longer forests and like Ben's Delta analogy, abosorbtion has changed. The tree roots are no longer there to hold the hill/mountain side stable either. Good chance of lots of mudslides, I would guess.

The upside is, the long-lasting drought may soon be over. And I'd wager the skiing is top-notch. 😎

Last edited:
Due to the copious amounts of precipitation across California of late a once large lake seems set to reappear.

Return of Tulare Lake: Farmland impacted as lake basin fills in Kings County, California

Tulare Lake, drained decades ago, may return after California’s record-breaking storms

Tulare Lake, drained decades ago, may return after California’s record-breaking storms.

In Kings County, floodwater is now covering a large area of agricultural land in the Tulare Lake Basin.

The water levels are something we haven't seen in nearly four decades.

The winter of 1982-83 was the last time we saw water going into the Tulare Lake basin.

That's because that water is diverted to the San Joaquin River.

However, an increased flow in all waterways leading to the basin has caused Tulare Lake to begin to reemerge.

The lake was known in the late 1800s as the largest fresh water lake in the western United States.

mmmmmmmm
"This isn't a one time this isn't a two-day this isn't a two week event. This will last through the summer most likely around September," explained Kings County Sheriff David Robinson.

In response to huge snowfall amounts within the Kings River watershed, the U-S Army Corps of Engineers began a flood release into the old Tulare lakebed to create room in the Pine Flat Reservoir.

"We have a lot of farmers that farm in the lake bottom and they understand that we get an event like this perhaps a 100 year event some of their land will flood again," Robinson said.

"So, there's a pretty good start on the on the lake's reconfiguration this year, how much will be there," said Randy McFarland with the Kings River Water Association. "Well, time will tell as it goes on. Kind of depends on how how hot the weather is early on."

McFarland says the 1,000 square mile lake hasn't filled since the winter of 1867 and 68.

mmmmmmm
That's when water levels reached 207 feet above sea level.

"There is a high point of land in the northwest corner of the lake, it was able to go over and flood into the eventually into the San Joaquin River," McFarland explained.

It would dry up for the first time in 1898 as canals were dug from various rivers to irrigate farm land.

A home video from 1942 shows the lake's return after it was revived by heavy runoff from the mountains.

The lake remained at a quarter of its size for three years.

"Caused a a lot of grief in Kings County and Western Tulare County. Then again in 1968-69, when we had a huge water year, and in 1982-83," said McFarland.

An 1876 map of Tulare County shows Corcoran would be underwater.

Kettleman City and Lemoore would be lake front, and Alpaugh would be an island.

"The Alpaugh area, actually Alpaugh, was an area known as Atwells Island. It was a little bit higher," McFarland said.

As for the latest re-emergence of the Tulare Lake and how long we'll see it, McFarland says there is no natural outflow for the water.

"After it gets there, then it. The only way it's going to be eliminated is through evaporation, or what irrigation can take place," McFarland said.

The Kings County Sheriff is reminding everyone the Tulare Lake Basin is private farm land and trespassing rules will be enforced.
Video also on SoTT page.

Last edited:
Heavy May snow in parts of North America and Europe:

18 inches of snow wallops Michiganders in May: 'Feels like the never-ending winter'

Vehicles buried in more than foot of snow in Ishpeming, Michigan on May 1, 2023.
© Mandy Carlson Moebius
Vehicles buried in more than foot of snow in Ishpeming, Michigan on May 1, 2023.

Winter just won't go away in parts of Michigan as some people are getting walloped on May 1st, more than a month after spring officially arrived. We're talking a foot and a half of snow in the Upper Peninsula with even more on the way.

Long-time Yooper, Mandy Carlson Moebius, says she can't believe the amount of snow they've gotten in her Marquette County home of Ishpeming. She says the snow started falling around midnight and it was still coming down as of 7:00 p.m. with no end in sight.

"This feels like the never-ending winter," Moebius frustratingly told MLive. "The snow was almost gone only to come back with a vengeance. We are so ready for spring to arrive."

Moebius says it looks like about 15 inches has fallen so far and it's expected to keep falling throughout the night with around two feet accumulating when it's all said and done.

"I was glad it wasn't as cold this winter but I am so sick of snow," Moebius added. "Usually around this time of year, we have some snow on the ground still melting because we get so much in the winter, but I don't remember getting snow like this in May."

The Upper Peninsula isn't the only area of Michigan seeing snow on May 1st. According to MLive Meteorologist Mark Torregrossa, parts of Northern Michigan's Lower Peninsula are seeing up to six inches in the Traverse City and Cadillac Areas. Some areas in Southern Lower Michigan could also get an inch.

Big May snowfall in the Alps

mmmmmmmm
There have been some big snowfalls on high slopes in the Alps on the first day of May.

Most ski areas are already closed for the season but several dozen remain open in the Alps, and the latest snowfall continues a trend of regular snowfall through spring, after an often dry winter.

Tignes and Val d'Isere (pictured this morning), which are still open until next weekend, reported 20cm of fresh snowfall above 2,000m this morning, and it has continued to snow heavily through the day.

Val Thorens is also open for another week and Les 2 Alpes re-opens after a 10 day closure on Tuesday, May 2nd, for late-spring/early summer skiing on its glacier through May and June.

The snow is wet and heavy at 2,000m but in more powdery shape up on glaciers above 3,000m. However many slopes are closed today due to white out conditions and moderate-high avalanche danger levels.

Skies are expected to clear tomorrow for what looks like being a great final few days of the winter season in France.

Last edited:
More evidence of upper atmosphere cooling. This was seen in Key West!
Key West, Florida, residents were treated to a rare and complex display of ice halos and other atmospheric phenomena on of May 2, 2023. The local National Weather Service office posted on Twitter: "Who else has been admiring the incredible halo/arc/sun dog display this evening?"

In addition to a 22-degree halo adorned with sundogs (parhelia), a more rare 46-degree halo was also present, as was an upper tangent arc, a Parry arc, and a circumzenithal arc. Such complex displays are most commonly seen in winter at high latitudes, but can be spotted anywhere on Earth at any time of year. Conditions only require widespread cirrostratus clouds made of ice crystals to be present high in the sky.

ice age.jpg

I thought the following article written by a British BBC meteorologist was interesting in how it potentially points to a shift to a period of cooling; in short: he believes in global warming but admits that the past winter was 1.3C colder than average, wetter than average - twice the usual - and this spring there's been less sunlight hours - half the average in the south - and spring has been 0.1C cooler than average. Bearing in mind that some of these weather stations - i.e. UK and Spain - are situated near/at airports, it may be that average temps were even cooler. He says that's how the weather used to be decades ago.

Altogether, this may go towards supporting the theory that the brief period of warming - that began in the 1990s/2000's (?) - that tends to precede significant cooling, is over; and we're back to the cooler temps of the 1970s, and potentially it'll get colder than that.

As an aside, the UK has a few water bans in force, and is threatening more, despite winter and spring being wetter than average...but more on that here: Potential Food and Energy Shortage Across the World

BBC's TOMASZ SCHAFERNAKER reveals what is going on with our weather

When will Spring finally arrive? BBC meteorologist TOMASZ SCHAFERNAKER reveals what on earth is going on with our weather​

Published: 21:38 BST, 14 May 2023 | Updated: 21:44 BST, 14 May 2023

May is normally when my garden starts to come into its own. I dust off the outdoor furniture, sit out and enjoy my collection of sub-tropical plants, from palm trees to yuccas.

This year, however, I'm feeling as deflated as my enfeebled plants. My BBC weather colleagues and I often exchange stories about how our gardens are doing. Like mine, theirs have been nipped by all the sharp frosts we've had this spring.

Meanwhile, people are stopping me in the street, asking when spring will finally arrive. And what have we done to deserve such cold, gloomy weather dragging on so long?

It's true, this year has been wet and cool. Last week, thundery showers brought torrential rain. We may have had a reprieve over the weekend, but I'm afraid it will be cool again over the next five to ten days at least.

Why? I would say the answer lies in the past. This is the kind of spring weather no one would have batted an eyelid about in the 1970s and 1980s.

BBC meteorologist Tomasz Schafernaker says no one would have been surprised about our current cold, gloomy weather in the 1970s and 1980s

Since then, however, thanks largely to climate change, temperatures have been creeping up — snow has become less frequent and spring has occasionally brought very warm weather, too. And we have grown used to it.

Every so often we will get a reversion to past weather habits and that's what we're experiencing this year.

Some years, we reach January and feel that winter hasn't really got going yet. But last December was below average temperatures by as much as 1.3c for the UK as a whole. In December, it plunged as low as minus 17 in parts of Scotland.

This continued in January, when I escaped to beautiful Bali for three weeks. On my return to London, I was amazed to see everything was frozen solid.

March only added insult to injury. Not only did we have a lot of snow — the Peak District was cut off — but the rain was relentless. Much of England and Wales had twice the normal level for that month. On top of that, we had far less sunshine than average — in the South, sunlight was slashed by half.

We longed for April to turn the tide, but it was actually very mundane. The UK temperature was just 0.1 below the climatological average — around 12c.

Comment:
Bearing in mind how some of these weather stations are situated near airports, it may be that average temps were even cooler.

And now we find ourselves mid-May. A point when, last year, we had temperatures as high as 28c. And who can forget the epic spring of 2020, when we took our one lockdown walk a day in spectacular sunshine.

This May has barely scraped 20c, meaning we've endured nearly half a year without any sustained period of warmth. Tomasz says people often ask if the jet stream — a core of strong winds around five to seven miles above the Earth's surface, blowing from west to east — is to blame

But there is a glimmer of (sun)light on the horizon. The Seasonal Forecast from the Met Office indicates an increased likelihood of hot spells over the summer. I cannot absolutely guarantee this, of course — long-range forecasts are based on probability.

But we are already seeing signs of that heat in parts of Europe. Southern Spain has already experienced temperatures of up to 39c. Gradually, this will extend to parts of northern Europe too.

Prepare yourself for a shock as we go from cold and gloomy to suddenly very warm.

However, very warm weather doesn't necessarily mean super-sunny. It can mean downpours and thunderstorms, and there's actually some indication that the weather might be somewhat wetter than usual.

People often ask if the jet stream — a core of strong winds around five to seven miles above the Earth's surface, blowing from west to east — is to blame.

It's true that the jet stream has been very close to the UK lately, and has brought with it a 'conveyor belt' of low pressure weather systems. But the reason for cold weather outbreaks can be more complicated.

We look at weather patterns all around the globe which may be affecting what's going on here. Changes in the wind patterns of the stratosphere can lead to particularly harsh cold weather during the winter. He may be hopeful for a balmy summer, but Tomasz says don't pack away the brolly just yet

That in turn can be exacerbated by other phenomena. For example, weather in the tropics — rainfall patterns across the Indian Ocean and Indonesia — have been having a knock-on effect on our seasonal weather too.

Last summer's blistering heat was astonishing. While it's not likely to happen again any time soon, as it was a freak occurrence, global warming will make mid to high 30s and low rainfall commonplace here soon enough.

I don't think anyone would welcome a return to that period of drought, but this year Mother Nature is teasing us with brief flashes of sunshine among the gloom and doom.

When people ask me for the forecast, I can't go wrong with 'changeable'. I am hopeful we'll get a balmy summer, but don't pack away the brolly just yet!

Last edited:
Here is an article, which pleasingly shows that not all scientists are biased by global ‘warming’ narrative.

Global warming: myth or reality?
The Scientific Council of the Russian Academy of Sciences on complex problems of Eurasian economic integration, modernization, competitiveness and sustainable development concluded that the human factor may not be so significant in the issue of global climate warming.

It is widely believed that industrial carbon dioxide emissions are the main source of global warming. According to the 2015 Paris Agreement, each of the signatory countries is obliged to reduce carbon dioxide emissions into the atmosphere. However, a number of scientists in Russia believe that the original idea of signing an international agreement to reduce greenhouse gas emissions into the atmosphere was a pure PR campaign by American politician Albert Gore. They claim that such agreements are aimed at taking the energy of the planet under the control of certain entities in order for them to have levers of influence on the economies of different countries.

One of the causes of global warming may be the degassing of the Earth and the decay of the potassium isotope. Leonid Bezrukov, Chief Researcher at the Institute for Nuclear Research of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Doctor of Physico-Mathematical Sciences, speaks about the hypothesis of warming of the ocean and the Earth's surface in connection with the radioactive decay of the isotope potassium-40. He claims that the power of his heat flow is about 1 Watt per square meter, which is significantly more than the anthropogenic impact on the atmosphere.

The theory of the Soviet and Russian geologist, Doctor of Geological and mineralogical Sciences Vladimir Larin about the metal hydride composition of the Earth, due to which it expands with the release of hydrogen and other gases, may also be the cause of global warming. The decay of the potassium isotope, which, when adopting the Larin version, should be quite a lot in the composition of our planet, is the very energy that triggers the processes of the release of deep gases.

Doctor of Geological and Mineralogical Sciences, leading researcher at the Faculty of Geology of Moscow State University Vladimir Seryokin notes that hydrogen is one of the main natural gases that destroys the ozone layer on the planet. Therefore, the degassing of the Earth and the release of hydrogen can also be the cause of global warming.

Thus, scientists of the Russian Academy of Sciences came to the conclusion that the degassing of the Earth and the decay of the potassium isotope can have a decisive effect on global warming. However, this does not mean that the human factor does not play any role. For example, carbon dioxide emissions are still a significant source of global warming. In addition, it is necessary to take into account other factors, such as solar activity, changes in the Earth's orbit, etc.

Back
Top Bottom