The Ice Age Cometh! Forget Global Warming!

Heavy May snow in parts of North America and Europe:

18 inches of snow wallops Michiganders in May: 'Feels like the never-ending winter'

Vehicles buried in more than foot of snow in Ishpeming, Michigan on May 1, 2023.
© Mandy Carlson Moebius
Vehicles buried in more than foot of snow in Ishpeming, Michigan on May 1, 2023.

Winter just won't go away in parts of Michigan as some people are getting walloped on May 1st, more than a month after spring officially arrived. We're talking a foot and a half of snow in the Upper Peninsula with even more on the way.

Long-time Yooper, Mandy Carlson Moebius, says she can't believe the amount of snow they've gotten in her Marquette County home of Ishpeming. She says the snow started falling around midnight and it was still coming down as of 7:00 p.m. with no end in sight.

"This feels like the never-ending winter," Moebius frustratingly told MLive. "The snow was almost gone only to come back with a vengeance. We are so ready for spring to arrive."

Moebius says it looks like about 15 inches has fallen so far and it's expected to keep falling throughout the night with around two feet accumulating when it's all said and done.

"I was glad it wasn't as cold this winter but I am so sick of snow," Moebius added. "Usually around this time of year, we have some snow on the ground still melting because we get so much in the winter, but I don't remember getting snow like this in May."

The Upper Peninsula isn't the only area of Michigan seeing snow on May 1st. According to MLive Meteorologist Mark Torregrossa, parts of Northern Michigan's Lower Peninsula are seeing up to six inches in the Traverse City and Cadillac Areas. Some areas in Southern Lower Michigan could also get an inch.

Big May snowfall in the Alps

mmmmmmmm
There have been some big snowfalls on high slopes in the Alps on the first day of May.

Most ski areas are already closed for the season but several dozen remain open in the Alps, and the latest snowfall continues a trend of regular snowfall through spring, after an often dry winter.

Tignes and Val d'Isere (pictured this morning), which are still open until next weekend, reported 20cm of fresh snowfall above 2,000m this morning, and it has continued to snow heavily through the day.

Val Thorens is also open for another week and Les 2 Alpes re-opens after a 10 day closure on Tuesday, May 2nd, for late-spring/early summer skiing on its glacier through May and June.

The snow is wet and heavy at 2,000m but in more powdery shape up on glaciers above 3,000m. However many slopes are closed today due to white out conditions and moderate-high avalanche danger levels.

Skies are expected to clear tomorrow for what looks like being a great final few days of the winter season in France.

Last edited:
More evidence of upper atmosphere cooling. This was seen in Key West!
Key West, Florida, residents were treated to a rare and complex display of ice halos and other atmospheric phenomena on of May 2, 2023. The local National Weather Service office posted on Twitter: "Who else has been admiring the incredible halo/arc/sun dog display this evening?"

In addition to a 22-degree halo adorned with sundogs (parhelia), a more rare 46-degree halo was also present, as was an upper tangent arc, a Parry arc, and a circumzenithal arc. Such complex displays are most commonly seen in winter at high latitudes, but can be spotted anywhere on Earth at any time of year. Conditions only require widespread cirrostratus clouds made of ice crystals to be present high in the sky.

ice age.jpg

I thought the following article written by a British BBC meteorologist was interesting in how it potentially points to a shift to a period of cooling; in short: he believes in global warming but admits that the past winter was 1.3C colder than average, wetter than average - twice the usual - and this spring there's been less sunlight hours - half the average in the south - and spring has been 0.1C cooler than average. Bearing in mind that some of these weather stations - i.e. UK and Spain - are situated near/at airports, it may be that average temps were even cooler. He says that's how the weather used to be decades ago.

Altogether, this may go towards supporting the theory that the brief period of warming - that began in the 1990s/2000's (?) - that tends to precede significant cooling, is over; and we're back to the cooler temps of the 1970s, and potentially it'll get colder than that.

As an aside, the UK has a few water bans in force, and is threatening more, despite winter and spring being wetter than average...but more on that here: Potential Food and Energy Shortage Across the World

BBC's TOMASZ SCHAFERNAKER reveals what is going on with our weather

When will Spring finally arrive? BBC meteorologist TOMASZ SCHAFERNAKER reveals what on earth is going on with our weather​

Published: 21:38 BST, 14 May 2023 | Updated: 21:44 BST, 14 May 2023

May is normally when my garden starts to come into its own. I dust off the outdoor furniture, sit out and enjoy my collection of sub-tropical plants, from palm trees to yuccas.

This year, however, I'm feeling as deflated as my enfeebled plants. My BBC weather colleagues and I often exchange stories about how our gardens are doing. Like mine, theirs have been nipped by all the sharp frosts we've had this spring.

Meanwhile, people are stopping me in the street, asking when spring will finally arrive. And what have we done to deserve such cold, gloomy weather dragging on so long?

It's true, this year has been wet and cool. Last week, thundery showers brought torrential rain. We may have had a reprieve over the weekend, but I'm afraid it will be cool again over the next five to ten days at least.

Why? I would say the answer lies in the past. This is the kind of spring weather no one would have batted an eyelid about in the 1970s and 1980s.

BBC meteorologist Tomasz Schafernaker says no one would have been surprised about our current cold, gloomy weather in the 1970s and 1980s

Since then, however, thanks largely to climate change, temperatures have been creeping up — snow has become less frequent and spring has occasionally brought very warm weather, too. And we have grown used to it.

Every so often we will get a reversion to past weather habits and that's what we're experiencing this year.

Some years, we reach January and feel that winter hasn't really got going yet. But last December was below average temperatures by as much as 1.3c for the UK as a whole. In December, it plunged as low as minus 17 in parts of Scotland.

This continued in January, when I escaped to beautiful Bali for three weeks. On my return to London, I was amazed to see everything was frozen solid.

March only added insult to injury. Not only did we have a lot of snow — the Peak District was cut off — but the rain was relentless. Much of England and Wales had twice the normal level for that month. On top of that, we had far less sunshine than average — in the South, sunlight was slashed by half.

We longed for April to turn the tide, but it was actually very mundane. The UK temperature was just 0.1 below the climatological average — around 12c.

Comment:
Bearing in mind how some of these weather stations are situated near airports, it may be that average temps were even cooler.

And now we find ourselves mid-May. A point when, last year, we had temperatures as high as 28c. And who can forget the epic spring of 2020, when we took our one lockdown walk a day in spectacular sunshine.

This May has barely scraped 20c, meaning we've endured nearly half a year without any sustained period of warmth. Tomasz says people often ask if the jet stream — a core of strong winds around five to seven miles above the Earth's surface, blowing from west to east — is to blame

But there is a glimmer of (sun)light on the horizon. The Seasonal Forecast from the Met Office indicates an increased likelihood of hot spells over the summer. I cannot absolutely guarantee this, of course — long-range forecasts are based on probability.

But we are already seeing signs of that heat in parts of Europe. Southern Spain has already experienced temperatures of up to 39c. Gradually, this will extend to parts of northern Europe too.

Prepare yourself for a shock as we go from cold and gloomy to suddenly very warm.

However, very warm weather doesn't necessarily mean super-sunny. It can mean downpours and thunderstorms, and there's actually some indication that the weather might be somewhat wetter than usual.

People often ask if the jet stream — a core of strong winds around five to seven miles above the Earth's surface, blowing from west to east — is to blame.

It's true that the jet stream has been very close to the UK lately, and has brought with it a 'conveyor belt' of low pressure weather systems. But the reason for cold weather outbreaks can be more complicated.

We look at weather patterns all around the globe which may be affecting what's going on here. Changes in the wind patterns of the stratosphere can lead to particularly harsh cold weather during the winter. He may be hopeful for a balmy summer, but Tomasz says don't pack away the brolly just yet

That in turn can be exacerbated by other phenomena. For example, weather in the tropics — rainfall patterns across the Indian Ocean and Indonesia — have been having a knock-on effect on our seasonal weather too.

Last summer's blistering heat was astonishing. While it's not likely to happen again any time soon, as it was a freak occurrence, global warming will make mid to high 30s and low rainfall commonplace here soon enough.

I don't think anyone would welcome a return to that period of drought, but this year Mother Nature is teasing us with brief flashes of sunshine among the gloom and doom.

When people ask me for the forecast, I can't go wrong with 'changeable'. I am hopeful we'll get a balmy summer, but don't pack away the brolly just yet!

Last edited:
Here is an article, which pleasingly shows that not all scientists are biased by global ‘warming’ narrative.

Global warming: myth or reality?
The Scientific Council of the Russian Academy of Sciences on complex problems of Eurasian economic integration, modernization, competitiveness and sustainable development concluded that the human factor may not be so significant in the issue of global climate warming.

It is widely believed that industrial carbon dioxide emissions are the main source of global warming. According to the 2015 Paris Agreement, each of the signatory countries is obliged to reduce carbon dioxide emissions into the atmosphere. However, a number of scientists in Russia believe that the original idea of signing an international agreement to reduce greenhouse gas emissions into the atmosphere was a pure PR campaign by American politician Albert Gore. They claim that such agreements are aimed at taking the energy of the planet under the control of certain entities in order for them to have levers of influence on the economies of different countries.

One of the causes of global warming may be the degassing of the Earth and the decay of the potassium isotope. Leonid Bezrukov, Chief Researcher at the Institute for Nuclear Research of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Doctor of Physico-Mathematical Sciences, speaks about the hypothesis of warming of the ocean and the Earth's surface in connection with the radioactive decay of the isotope potassium-40. He claims that the power of his heat flow is about 1 Watt per square meter, which is significantly more than the anthropogenic impact on the atmosphere.

The theory of the Soviet and Russian geologist, Doctor of Geological and mineralogical Sciences Vladimir Larin about the metal hydride composition of the Earth, due to which it expands with the release of hydrogen and other gases, may also be the cause of global warming. The decay of the potassium isotope, which, when adopting the Larin version, should be quite a lot in the composition of our planet, is the very energy that triggers the processes of the release of deep gases.

Doctor of Geological and Mineralogical Sciences, leading researcher at the Faculty of Geology of Moscow State University Vladimir Seryokin notes that hydrogen is one of the main natural gases that destroys the ozone layer on the planet. Therefore, the degassing of the Earth and the release of hydrogen can also be the cause of global warming.

Thus, scientists of the Russian Academy of Sciences came to the conclusion that the degassing of the Earth and the decay of the potassium isotope can have a decisive effect on global warming. However, this does not mean that the human factor does not play any role. For example, carbon dioxide emissions are still a significant source of global warming. In addition, it is necessary to take into account other factors, such as solar activity, changes in the Earth's orbit, etc.

We've got all sorts going on where I am, including the circumzenithal arc, or upside down rainbow!

Much of northern England enjoyed a rare optical display on Sunday evening.
Thin, high cloud gave a spectacular show of halos, arcs and upside-down rainbows across the North East and Cumbria, not often seen together in the UK.
The phenomena are caused by sunlight reflecting and refracting through ice crystals high in the atmosphere.
BBC Look North weather presenter Jennifer Bartram said it was "very unusual".

View attachment _129899629_3973d550-eee1-4720-9218-771d675e4d22.jpg.webp

View attachment _129899630_34e90fef-d516-437e-8544-cbbd479c3eb8.jpg.webp
View attachment _129899628_0f2bca53-ebd1-4399-ac30-4cd0a09e7a44.jpg.webp

We've got all sorts going on where I am, including the circumzenithal arc, or upside down rainbow!

View attachment 75141

View attachment 75142
View attachment 75144

Someone just posted another image of this event, which is similar, but at least one aspect of it can be seen in more detail; the 'halo' connecting the sun and it's reflections on the left and right. I think that's the first time i've seen that. The image was apparently taken on the same day in Belfast, Ireland:

1685477320092.png

Attachments

• 1685477123132.png
    1685477123132.png
    123.2 KB · Views: 1
🇸🇪 Sweden • Unusual cool June nights
& National cold record in Finland for the month o June.
2 June 2023

Already last evening while at work, I was aware that something appeared to be off with the (night) temperatures. Lately the nights have felt chilly - but is that enough to wonder ? (Though, I am still wearing my thick leather jacket and underpants). At the same time, i saw in the evening rather low values in places I would not expect them this time of the year. Such as; the tiny island in the Baltic Sea, between Gotland and Stockholm archipelago called Gotska Sandön, reporting only 4°C, and Visby on Gotland only 3°C. How strange, I thought... I mean, in June.

Freezing hands in sunshine
This morning, on my way home, the sun was shining - but boy it felt COLD ! (I saw plenty of dudes with shot pants and wondered... aren't they cold ?!) Standing at Gullmarsplan station in the southern city, around 06:00 - my hands felt freezing. How odd. Despite a temperature of not so unusual 6°C there, yet the windchill was 2-3°C... coming like an unbidden, unwanted memory of winter... in June !

This morning, SMHI, the Swedish Meteorological Institute, wrote an article about unusual cold June nights. Nice ! So, something was a bit off after all. Notice that in Southern Sweden, temperatures fell down to -1.7°C in a place called Hagshult, -1.5°C in Horn, and -0.4°C in the town of Kalmar located at the south east coast.

Here is the article:

Unusually cool June nights
Updated June 2, 2023 Published June 2, 2023

June 2023 has begun with unusually cool nights both in the north and south. Locally, there have been the lowest June temperatures in 30-50 years. Finland even reports a national cold record for June.

Vaderanalys23060112.jpg
Analysis of the weather situation at 14:00 on June 1, 2023 • Illustration SMHI

The overall weather picture
is fairly typical for cold air outbreaks during the summer. We have an area of low pressure over northwest Russia and a powerful high pressure over the North Atlantic. Like a letter in the mail, northerly to northwesterly winds come over Scandinavia.

It is mainly stations in northernmost Sweden and coastal stations in southern Sweden that have experienced unusually cool June nights.

_-2023-06-02-at-17.28.08.png

Fresh snow in the far north
Snow has also fallen in northern Lapland. Kiruna reported 4 cm of new snow on Thursday, June 1, and Karesuando and Lannavaara had 1 cm.

In Katterjåkk, the snow depth increased from 19 cm at noon on May 31 to a maximum of 31 cm on the morning of June 1.

In Abisko the maximum snow depth was 4 cm. To find a greater snow depth there in June, we have to go to June 12, 1981 when it was also 4 cm. Now it should be said that in both Abisko and Katterjåkk there are automatic snow depth meters with continuous measurements throughout the day. In the past, at best [only] one measurement per day was made.

[New National] Cold Record in Finland
At Finland's highest weather station, Kilpisjärvi Saana (1007 meters above sea level), it was -7.7° on 1 June 2023, which according to the Finnish weather service is a new Finnish June record. The previous record was -7.0° from Inari Laanila on June 3, 1962. However, measurements at the highest altitudes in Finland have not been taken for many decades.

Kilpisjärvi Saana is located near Treriksröset. Swedish stations in that area are at lower levels. For example, we have never had one on our northernmost mountain Pältsa.

In any case, -7.7° would not match the lowest June temperatures we have had at our highest stations. We only have to go to June 2, 2017 when it was -9.2° in Tarfala (1144 m). On June 2, 1907 it was -12.9° at Vassitjåkko (1372 m).

Article written by Sverker Hellström, SMHI

Chanshal Pass receives late heavy snowfall in Himachal Pradesh, India - 17.7 inches of snow

The Chanshal Pass near Rohru in Shimla district covered by a white blanket of snow on Thursday.

The Chanshal Pass near Rohru in Shimla district covered by a white blanket of snow on Thursday.

The Chanshal area near Rohru in Shimla district has received snowfall in the latest spell of precipitation, leaving the local people surprised. Many claim that it's probably the first time the place has received snowfall this late in summer.

"I don't remember having seen snowfall at Chanshal in late May. We can see 3-4 inches fresh snow in Chanshal area. This is something unprecedented," said Sanjeev Thakur, an orchardist from Rohru.

Meanwhile, the weather department said having snow at Chanshal at this time of the year was surprising and rare..
At Chanshal Pass, the department has recorded 45 cm snowfall. "Due to the heavy and continuous rains over the last few days, the temperatures have gone down significantly. The snowfall is the result of such low temperatures," said Surender Paul, Director, Meteorological Centre, Shimla.

Over the last few days, both maximum and minimum temperatures are way below normal. Today, the average maximum temperatures were over 9 degree Celsius less than normal. Both maximum and minimum temperatures over the next week are likely stay below normal.

Meanwhile, several places have received moderate to heavy rainfall over the last 24 hours. The places which received heaviest rainfall are Dharampur (87mm), Kasauli (80 mm), Kahu (75mm), Jatton Barrage (73mm), Sangrah 58 (mm), Naina Devi (54mm) and Solan (52mm). Due to the heavy precipitation, 34 roads have been closed and 18 transformers disrupted.

"Absurdly cold temperature in the antarctic"

(only 5 minutes, from :17:45 - :22:20)

"New study reveals Antarctic ice shelf area has grown by 5305 km^2 from 2009-2019 "

Part of this study states that several thousand km's of the Antarctic ice shelf have melted - which is what the climate crises people tend to latch onto to make their point. They almost never include the data that shows that other parts of the shelf are gaining in volume more than other parts are losing their volume - for what amounts to a significant net gain. A good point to make if ever talking about it this with someone I think.

It would be interesting to know if this process has accelerated since 2019 or has remained consistent throughout, btw.

Here are the numbers from the Watts Up With That site:

4 Conclusions

This study has generated a comprehensive dataset of change in ice shelf area on 34 Antarctica ice shelves over the last decade. Overall, ice shelves on the Antarctic Peninsula and West Antarctica lost areas of 6693 km2 and 5563 km2, respectively, while East Antarctic ice shelves gained 3532 km2 of ice, and the large ice shelves of Ross, Ronne, and Filchner grew by 14 028 km2 (total). This dataset is a high spatial resolution record of change from 2009 to 2019, which shows the regional differences in ice shelf calving behaviour and documents the frequency and magnitude of ice shelf calving events across the continent on decadal timescales. These observations will be useful for regional studies of ice shelf change in Antarctica and can be used as an input dataset for modelling studies or as a validation dataset for future studies that develop more automated methods of measuring change in ice shelf calving front position. Future studies should use the historical satellite data archives to extend the record of ice shelf area change, which will allow us to establish whether there is a long-term change in ice shelf calving frequency in Antarctica. We must develop and apply automated techniques to increase the frequency with which calving front measurements can be made, particularly on smaller ice shelves and glaciers, which will allow shorter-term, seasonal calving behaviour to be characterised and monitored.

"Absurdly cold temperature in the antarctic"

(only 5 minutes, from :17:45 - :22:20)

He compares what is happening now - coming year - to the events of 536 AD. Interesting.

Back
Top Bottom