Settings of SOTT.net website

I keep SOTT open in its tab (using Firefox) from start to finish of every session and I noticed that SOTT now auto-updates its front page, which older versions never did.

That was a big part of the upgrade. It saves a ton of server bandwidth, and is especially good for mobile devices. The other thing that's good for mobile is that the homepage only loads about 2.7MB of files when not logged in, whereas RT's homepage is ~17MB.

Also, if you load the homepage, then click an article (for example), both pages are loaded in the same browser tab on different "sheets" as we call them. Up to 10 sheets can be loaded at the same time. They all dynamically update in the background.

IOW, in our example, the article is the active sheet, but the homepage is still loaded in the background even though you can't see it. If you click back to the homepage, it switches sheets to the homepage - all within the same tab. The homepage will be up-to-date. That's the JavaScript loader engine I wrote, which I call InSite. @Chu came up with the name, and I rather liked it.

The only major thing that does NOT update automatically is Reader Comments on articles, but that's a planned future update because I think I finally figured out how to do it.

I noticed that now when clicking on an article title the article starts to load on "mouse down" instead of when the mouse button is released, that makes the article seem to load even faster. Well it does load faster on the new SoTT, what I mean is that by the time I release the mouse button the article is nearly loaded and that sort of adds to the perception of speed. Nice!

I noticed that now when clicking on an article title the article starts to load on "mouse down" instead of when the mouse button is released, that makes the article seem to load even faster. Well it does load faster on the new SoTT, what I mean is that by the time I release the mouse button the article is nearly loaded and that sort of adds to the perception of speed. Nice!
I have been noticing this feature as well. I like it. Thanks.

There's supposed to be an actual DELAY between loading different sheets... with pretty "content is loading" visual effects...
But the server is so fast, you can't see it.
🤯
Maybe on a 2G cell connection? Or a 56k modem?

This is interesting; when adding a YT video in the playlist with the option to automatically load subtitles (add "?cc_lang_pref=hr" at the end of the URL), it doesn´t display the video preview.

Normal URLURL with ?cc_lang_pref=hr added
1708330095167.png1708330160112.png

But, when one clicks on the video - ta-dam! - it does play the video AND shows the subtitles as set in the URL:

1708330228365.png

It´s like the portal can´t decide if he likes it or not: "ok, here you are and your stupid subtitles, but I won't make it pretty!!!!"

Hey Scottie, while surfing SoTT every once in a while I click an article link and it nothing comes back, the part of the page where the article content should be displayed goes blank. Then if I click the back button that also results in nothing being loaded. And at that point if I click the SoTT logo nothing happens. This occurs maybe 2 or 3 times a week I would guess, I didn't track every time it happens, but it did happen twice so far in the past 3 days. It happened again a few moments ago. So I left the page as is and opened the browser inspector to look for JS errors, this is what I see:

sottjs_07.js:5 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'style')
at $.i.css (sottjs_07.js:5:8589)
at $.i.getDimensions (sottjs_07.js:5:9720)
at $.i.getHeight (sottjs_07.js:5:10094)
at $.i.height (sottjs_07.js:5:12363)
at tipey3-min.js:6:8855

If I leave the console open watching that error message the error count for that continually goes up very fast, like something in the code is looping.

Scottie, here is another one. If you click on the article title, instead of a new tab opening up and going to the source of the article, an error message pops up; "Timeout error: Check your connection!"

Scottie, here is another one. If you click on the article title, instead of a new tab opening up and going to the source of the article, an error message pops up; "Timeout error: Check your connection!"

Fixed now. I think this is related to Mark's post.

URLs with hyphens and possibly other characters were causing mayhem. My URL-checking function was a bit goofy!

I was trying to navigate on my mobile through the pages and when I click the number to the second page of a section:

IMG_3700.jpeg
If I click page 2 or 3 etc. it opens a new tab showing only the first page I was on. Idk if it’s only me (I use Safari/iOS) but it’s been happening since yesterday.

I was trying to navigate on my mobile through the pages and when I click the number to the second page of a section:

View attachment 91906
If I click page 2 or 3 etc. it opens a new tab showing only the first page I was on. Idk if it’s only me (I use Safari/iOS) but it’s been happening since yesterday.

I just tried to reproduce this on my iPad (Safari and Chrome) and everything works...

More SOTT fixes today, including:
- Jumplink scrolling fixed (i.e. clicking comment icon in Recent Comments box wasn't taking you down to the comment on the article page)
- Page URL history fix (i.e. back button needing to be clicked 7 times to go back 1 page)

2 days ago, @Mark pointed out some SOTT bugs... That led to the discovery of LOTS of various little bugs, which combine together in totally fascinating (and sometimes annoying) ways to form Lots of Weird Problems - including jumplink scrolling issues, can't login under certain conditions, and 6 other problems.

Working my way through them, little by little... hopefully in a few days we'll achieve 'Gold Master' status.
:knitting:

Back
Top Bottom