Fat Bomb - Keto Custard Recipe and variations

Keyhole said:
Honestly, I am not having broth daily... Every few days at most! The reason being is that I keep it frozen in a big container and when it comes to removing frozen broth and smashing it up with a hammer - I usually put it off untill the next day (or the day after) :huh:

I used to have broth daily while keeping it refrigerated. Although we made a big batch of MK Scarletts bone broth (w/o cross of veal) and kept in it the refrigerator but it only lasted a few days - went bad and we had to throw a LOT away. After this experience I have been reluctant to keep broth unless its frozen :(
It's probably easier if you keep it in smaller containers that can be frozen but defrosted as needed. The reason the broth is important is because it provides many important nutrients. Like the fat bomb (fb), it also serves as a vehicle for the fat. Basically it's a more palatable way of ingesting fat than having to eat it straight which is a turnoff for most people who haven't grown up eating it that way.

Personally speaking, I prefer the taste of the fat bombs but my body responds better to the fatty broth. For the most part, I can consume large quantities of the fb, without getting the keto flu so I think it's the eggs. When I make it, I use lard as opposed to coconut oil or butter because I tend to react to it although it tastes so yummy, if someone makes it with those ingredients, I'd rather take the hit than pass it up!

As AJ said, it sounds as if you may need to add/eat more fat. You may also want to try making a plainer fb without the cocoa to see if the carb intake is making you hungrier. Maybe try a vanilla flavoring. I think the lemon flavored ones are the best so far. With the vanilla, I also like to add a little salt as it brings out the flavor. A bit of tumeric can also be interesting. The key, I think, is to get it down to as few ingredients as possible.

edit: clarity

Just made the Fat Bomb this afternoon and oh my god it is delicious!!!

I used Gaby's recipe for two with the coconut milk.....will see how I tolerate it. I also made it chocolate with some organic cocoa and now I cant wait to try the lemon one.

My partner Esoterica and I are onto our fifth day into the Keto Diet and so far I am enjoying it although I must admit I am finding it rather strange to be eating so much fat as I was raised by my Mother on a very low fat diet. I do love fat on meat though.

All the time I was making the Fat Bomb I was singing inside my head "Fat Bomb, Fat Bomb....your my Fat Bomb" ha....ha...to the tune of Tom Jones' song. It was mentioned on this thread somewhere. Hilarious!

Thank you to all who have invented and experimented with this wonderful recipe.

Here is the Lemon Fat Bomb which is just as delicious as the Chocolate. It came out slightly softer and creamier as I added the juice of a whole lemon and also the zest (using a zester - and then used a knife to cut cut very finely otherwise the larger pieces can taste bitter).

I used a large glass bowl in a saucepan of water which worked well as I dont have a double boiler.

If you struggle to separate egg yolks you can just crack the egg into your well washed hand and let the whites run through your fingers....it sounds yucky but a lot of professional chefs do this and its easy.

This is Gaby's recipe for 4 servings.....quantities can be halved for 2 servings.

400ml coconut milk
200g butter
6 rounded teaspoons xylitol
6 tablespoons coconut oil
8 egg yolks
4 teaspoons gelatine

Added: juice of whole lemon & zest to the mixture in the bowl while heating.

I tempered the eggs before adding.

A thermometer is vital to stop over cooking and curdling.

I topped it with desicated coconut and a little lemon zest.

Attachments

• downloadfile-65-1-1.jpg
    downloadfile-65-1-1.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 322
I've been reading about everyone freezing their bone/beef broth- you do know it's possible to can this in a pressure canner right? I do mine in pints and 1/2 pints and then I don't have to worry about them going bad cuz I drinks em right away.

truth seeker said:
Keyhole said:
Honestly, I am not having broth daily... Every few days at most! The reason being is that I keep it frozen in a big container and when it comes to removing frozen broth and smashing it up with a hammer - I usually put it off untill the next day (or the day after) :huh:

I used to have broth daily while keeping it refrigerated. Although we made a big batch of MK Scarletts bone broth (w/o cross of veal) and kept in it the refrigerator but it only lasted a few days - went bad and we had to throw a LOT away. After this experience I have been reluctant to keep broth unless its frozen :(
It's probably easier if you keep it in smaller containers that can be frozen but defrosted as needed. The reason the broth is important is because it provides many important nutrients. Like the fat bomb (fb), it also serves as a vehicle for the fat. Basically it's a more palatable way of ingesting fat than having to eat it straight which is a turnoff for most people who haven't grown up eating it that way.

Personally speaking, I prefer the taste of the fat bombs but my body responds better to the fatty broth. For the most part, I can consume large quantities of the fb, without getting the keto flu so I think it's the eggs. When I make it, I use lard as opposed to coconut oil or butter because I tend to react to it although it tastes so yummy, if someone makes it with those ingredients, I'd rather take the hit than pass it up!

As AJ said, it sounds as if you may need to add/eat more fat. You may also want to try making a plainer fb without the cocoa to see if the carb intake is making you hungrier. Maybe try a vanilla flavoring. I think the lemon flavored ones are the best so far. With the vanilla, I also like to add a little salt as it brings out the flavor. A bit of tumeric can also be interesting. The key, I think, is to get it down to as few ingredients as possible.

edit: clarity

I've also noticed recently that FBs are more filling when the day starts with some good broth. This is even when there is very little fat in the broth compared to the FB, and my intuition is telling me that it could well be that while we may have enough fuel for the day, the micro-nutrient variety and density is lacking so our gut keeps sending the "more please" signals to the brain, and probably even more so once the gut has come to expect a regular dose of broth. On that note, breakfast as I type is/was some beef stroganof brazed in a saucepan with salt, pepper and sweet basil then stewed for 5-10 minutes in broth. The added meaty flavor to the broth is awesome, and would be a lot easier for people new to broth that have, shall we say, a sensitive pallet.

Saieden said:
I've also noticed recently that FBs are more filling when the day starts with some good broth. This is even when there is very little fat in the broth compared to the FB, and my intuition is telling me that it could well be that while we may have enough fuel for the day, the micro-nutrient variety and density is lacking so our gut keeps sending the "more please" signals to the brain, and probably even more so once the gut has come to expect a regular dose of broth.

I was thinking it was along those lines as to why fat bombs are more filling on days when I have lots of broth.

truth seeker said:

Thankyou for the recommendation, truthseeker. I went to the supermarket and stocked up - Now my bottom freezer shelf is full of about 8 or 9 plastic containers full of broth, AND fat bomb :D I am now having a big mug of broth everyday and I have already cut down on the amount of FB :)

Have a bit of a problem to face now though... I recently made a batch of the lemon flavour which should last for 8 days. It wasn't emulsifying very well, so we decided to add full pack of 'creamed coconut' to see if it would help (a rather silly idea as I knew that I have reacted to this stuff in the past). Anyway the fat bomb consistency turned out perfect and very tasty - although it seems to 'go right through me' every time I eat it :huh: Costed about £45 to make for us both, so we aretrying to decide whether to throw it away (which is a massive waste) or just "man it out" for the reminding few days...

A Jay said:
Saieden said:
I've also noticed recently that FBs are more filling when the day starts with some good broth. This is even when there is very little fat in the broth compared to the FB, and my intuition is telling me that it could well be that while we may have enough fuel for the day, the micro-nutrient variety and density is lacking so our gut keeps sending the "more please" signals to the brain, and probably even more so once the gut has come to expect a regular dose of broth.

I was thinking it was along those lines as to why fat bombs are more filling on days when I have lots of broth.
I am feeling exactly the same. I guess I really underestimated the power of bone broth :cool: This one I recently made is really thick aswell, almost like a fat bomb when its cool so when I heat it up I usually add water to it which makes it easier to drink.
oakwood said:
I've been reading about everyone freezing their bone/beef broth- you do know it's possible to can this in a pressure canner right? I do mine in pints and 1/2 pints and then I don't have to worry about them going bad cuz I drinks em right away.
I am waiting for my Presto 23 quart canner and jars to arrive in the post! (picked one up brand new from ebay- cheap! ;)) Am looking forward to start canning after what I have read on the Canning thread.

Saieden said:
On that note, breakfast as I type is/was some beef stroganof brazed in a saucepan with salt, pepper and sweet basil then stewed for 5-10 minutes in broth. The added meaty flavor to the broth is awesome, and would be a lot easier for people new to broth that have, shall we say, a sensitive pallet.
If we cook meat in the slow cooker we usually cook it in broth rather than water, or when we reheat meat - doing as you suggested! The broth does certainly seem to absorb the flavour of the meat you cook it with, especially lamb! Lamb shank slow cooked in broth :wow: My favourite.

Can the fat bomb still be good 10 days after it's made? I'd like to eat it but I don' t know if it is a good idea.

hlat said:
Can the fat bomb still be good 10 days after it's made? I'd like to eat it but I don' t know if it is a good idea.

How does it smell? Look? I tend to think the egg yolk being emulsified with the coconut oil and ghee butter should provide some additional shelf-life. Eggs can be ok after two weeks if they are not cracked and have remained in the fridge. This is more true for free range eggs rather than the conventionally grain fed variety.

Maybe scrape off the top that is exposed to air and eat everything below that or if you put them in little jars with lids you may be fine either way. I have eaten them after they have been in the fridge for awhile and was fine.

hlat said:

I agree with ts37. I'd also say it depends on whether you refrigerate or freeze them. I freeze mine and the longest I've taken to eat them was/is 4 days. I wouldn't try re-freezing them once out though. Others who make it as custard and refrigerate will be able to answer on that front.

It's been in the refrigerator in a sealed glass tupperware. It looks and smells fine. I think I'll have it for lunch tomorrow because I'm just too beat to make a new batch tonight.

hlat said:
It's been in the refrigerator in a sealed glass tupperware. It looks and smells fine. I think I'll have it for lunch tomorrow because I'm just too beat to make a new batch tonight.

You might also turn down the temp in the fridge for longer food storage. Mine is a smidgen above freezing and for the stuff I don't eat in a few days, it lasts way longer at colder temps.. I figure the electric cost is probably cheaper than the food cost when it would otherwise go to waste.

I don't like wasting food either. What you could do if you were unsure about whether it was good is to just go for it and potentially bite the bullet. If you have some colloidal silver and/or activated charcoal, you can use those if you think it might have actually been bad. That's kind of how I do it. Of course if is moldy or smells bad it's an automatic toss. :rolleyes:

m said:
hlat said:

You might also turn down the temp in the fridge for longer food storage. Mine is a smidgen above freezing and for the stuff I don't eat in a few days, it lasts way longer at colder temps.. I figure the electric cost is probably cheaper than the food cost when it would otherwise go to waste.

Never thought about running the numbers on this to see which is more cost-efficient. Thanks!

I ate it yesterday for lunch. Tasted fine at day 11. It was a variation using lard instead of coconut oil, so maybe that helped.

I noticed the lard version doesn't taste that good the first 2 days after it is made, but then tastes fine afterwards. The bacon oil version didn't taste very good at all.

Back
Top Bottom