Fat Bomb - Keto Custard Recipe and variations

Yes, wild salmon. Here it is more expensive, but depending of your country the price changes a lot.

It is also possible to find here (in France) wild salmon, frozen, not smoked.

Anyway, the recipe should work with other fishes (like baked sardines) or seafood.

Tomorrow I am experimenting with this recipe for salmon fat custard.

1 cup lard
1.5 cups water
0.5 lb butter
1 Tbsp gelatin
12 egg yolks
8 oz wild smoked salmon

Salmon version turned out fine. Maybe a 6 or 7 out of 10, so not bad and not great. I was worried it would be awful because I tasted it right after I made it, and I could taste the lard and it was really salty. I had added 1 tsp of salt, so next time I won't add any salt. I couldn't taste the lard after I let it sit in the refrigerator for 2 days. I have noticed that the lard flavor (for any version with lard added) becomes less or completely gone 2 days afterwards.

hlat said:
Tomorrow I am experimenting with this recipe for salmon fat custard.

1 cup lard
1.5 cups water
0.5 lb butter
1 Tbsp gelatin
12 egg yolks
8 oz wild smoked salmon

Yes there is no coconut oil flavor either in my version.

Also it tastes much better with herbs, especially dill and chives.

Guys, can you explain me one moment:how do you use gelatin? Do you hold it in the cold water before use? Which form do you use (small hard "capsules" or may be liquid)? Once I used a gelitin ("small hard "capsules" without holding in water) in keto custard, but it does't dissolve and it had existed in texture of custard :huh: I didn't use it anymore :D

s-kur said:
Guys, can you explain me one moment:how do you use gelatin? Do you hold it in the cold water before use? Which form do you use (small hard "capsules" or may be liquid)? Once I used a gelitin ("small hard "capsules" without holding in water) in keto custard, but it does't dissolve and it had existed in texture of custard :huh: I didn't use it anymore :D
Powder form stirred into the mixture in the pot.
_http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0008D6WBA/

Gelatin takes time to dissolve, it's usually best to let it sit while you do other things and stir it later. Powdered gelatin will dissolve faster.

monotonic said:
Gelatin takes time to dissolve, it's usually best to let it sit while you do other things and stir it later. Powdered gelatin will dissolve faster.
Preferably, put the powdered gelatin in before the fat (eg, lard, butter ) gets too hot, otherwise it will congeal.

I've been experimenting with a tallow fat bomb recipe. It's pretty good! :cool2:

4 cups of tallow (I use a 2 cup measure twice filled to the top, so it's probably about 4.2 cups)
8 TBSP lecithin dissolved in 700ml of distilled water
4 TBSP vanilla
1.5 TBSP cocoa powder
13 TBSP xylitol
About 6oz of really strong coffee
3 TBSP gelatin dissolved in 400ml of water
4 TBSP of MCT oil

You can add a 1 TBSP of cinnamon, too.

Put everything but the lecithin/water & gelatin/water mixtures in a pot on the stove to melt. When the tallow is completely melted, blend with an immersion blender. Add the lecithin and gelatin mixtures and blend until everything is completely mixed. I also cool it and blend it in a sink of cold water after it's done.

I am going to experiment with lemon extract and lemons next.

We made Laura's recipe last night and topped it with shaved home-made chocolate and cinnamon. It's amazing! This is by far the best keto-snack I've ever had... (photo attached)

Many thanks to you all for perfecting this, it really comes out divine...

Attachments

• keto-custard.JPG
    keto-custard.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 339
For experimenting with a savory custard you could use broth from a roast such as below. I discovered that a slow-cooked beef roast with this kind of spicing works well at making tallow palatable (eaten in bites with the roast) , so I wonder if it would be good in a savory custard as well?

Recipe:

4qt slow cooker
Chuck roast, 2-3LB or so
One onion, halved (red onions are more savory here)
2 carrots
1/4-1/2tsp rosemary
1/4tsp sage
1/4tsp pepper
1/2tsp garlic powder or 1 clove garlic
1/2tsp salt
1c water or broth
2tbsp olive oil
2 bay leaves

Pour olive oil into the crock and then add the spices. If you have a fork or spoon, whisk the spices into the oil in the corner of the crock.

Drop in the roast and turn it several times to cover it with the spices, then leave it fat side down. Add water or broth.

Cut an onion in half and place both halves level on the roast so as much as the cut side is in the water as possible, while the rest should be above.

Cut carrots so that they will rest on top of the onions or somewhere out of the water.

Turn the crock pot on low and cook for at least 12 hours. You can cook it longer to allow the flavors to "age".

The onions will be tasty as a side or you can press them out flat so their juices add flavor to the broth.

Fat bomb sardines

3 cans of sardines, same recipee as salmon. Good.

Attachments

• 20141105_223730.jpg
    20141105_223730.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 246
I made this, and it tastes just as good as the coconut version. I'm done with the coconut version. I'll be doing this version, probably doubled.

1 cup lard
1/2 pound butter clarified to ghee
1.5 cup water
2 tsp powdered gelatin
5 Tbsp erythritol
12 egg yolks
2 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp cocoa powder

I've a question, which may have been covered somewhere in this thread: I'm having trouble finding a vanilla extract for this recipe that doesn't contain sugar. Does anyone know of any vanilla extracts that do not contain sugar?

The previous fat bomb I made contained sugar because of the vanilla extract, which is minimal but none would have been preferred. And I really want to make a lot more :D

If I do find one, I'll let you know - keeping my eyes out. And I'll take photos of the next batch and share!

SMM said:
I've a question, which may have been covered somewhere in this thread: I'm having trouble finding a vanilla extract for this recipe that doesn't contain sugar. Does anyone know of any vanilla extracts that do not contain sugar?

The previous fat bomb I made contained sugar because of the vanilla extract, which is minimal but none would have been preferred. And I really want to make a lot more :D

If I do find one, I'll let you know - keeping my eyes out. And I'll take photos of the next batch and share!
I've been considering using vanilla beans but have never tried it. It's usually more expensive than the extract, but it may be worth a try. It may even turn out that you don't need an entire bean since it's purer (undiluted).

Back
Top Bottom