Fat Bomb - Keto Custard Recipe and variations

darksai

Jedi Master
I'm going to be doing a lot of experimentation with different Keto Custard variations, or more precisely, I'm aiming to make every try something new or refine a particular aspect each time I make them. I figured since I'm going to be making and eating this for the rest of my foreseeable life, I might as well aim to master the art while I'm at it. This thread, then, will a be a data collection of techniques, recipes, ingredient lists/proportions, and tricks 'n tips, and, of course, results of their application :)

I've put in some posts from the Keto Recipe sticky thread for reference and a couple of the recipes that are quite different from the basic pattern, i.e. the perfected recipe below.

Chateau Crew's perfected recipe:

Laura said:
1 liter or 1 Quart of coconut milk (canned is fine)
500 grams or 1 pound sweet butter or ghee
1 cup coconut oil or lard if preferred
3 soup/tablespoons of plain (knox or other) gelatin
11 tsps xylitol or 14 tsps erythritol
24 egg yolks
vanilla
grated, unsweetened coconut if desired - 1 cup

Put the coconut milk, butter, coconut oil, gelatin, xylitol in the pot. Mix around to start the gelatin dissolving. Put pot on a heat diffuser on the stove, low medium heat. Stir it occasionally as it warms up. Meanwhile, separate the eggs. Freeze or toss out the whites.

Make sure the eggs are beaten up, none of the yolks whole.

When the mixture in the pot starts getting hot and steaming, you want to get ready to put the egg yolks in very carefully. This is crucial. I use a meat thermometer and when it says that the temp is 70 C - 158 F - it's time.

Take the pot off the stove.

Start drizzling the egg yolks into the pot while whisking thoroughly between each addition. I usually add a bit, make sure it is mixed well, add a bit more, mix well, and so on. Have a scraper handy to scrape out the bowl into the pot.

Put pot BACK on the heat. At this point, you want to stir constantly until the mixture starts to thicken. That will happen when you come back to your temperature 70 C - 158 F. You can feel it. Once you feel a definite thickening, about one more minute of stirring. At this point, take the pot off and set it into cold water in the sink and keep stirring until the water in the sink gets a bit warm. While doing this, add the vanilla. A good bit if you like. I put in 3 or 4 tablespoons, more or less.

Next, put the pot on the counter. At this point, you can make different flavors.

Get 1/2 cup/4 ozs/100 ml of water ready and your immersion blender. Add in your cup of [flavor of choice]. Mix. Then, start blending the custard and add the cold water. Blend all around in the pot until the water and plenty of air is fully integrated. This step gives the custard a super light, silky texture. Also, if you let your custard get too hot and it curdles, doing this will restore creaminess.

Finally, ladle into dessert dishes or little jelly glasses or yogurt glasses and refrigerate for an hour or so.

You can also increase the gelatin to 4 tablespoons to make the custard very "sturdy" for pouring into molds. We made a triple batch the other day for a birthday, and made three flavors, and layered them in a ring mold. They set up beautifully and sliced just like a cake. It was really like an ice-cream cake more than anything else!

Laura said:
Custard takes a deft and delicate hand and especially with this much fat. If you understand the chemistry of it, you can make adjustments if you have problems.

It's a delicate balance between the liquid (water, coconut milk, whatever) and the enormous amount of fat. The thing that creates this balance is the emulsifying property of the egg yolks. But the egg yolks cannot be too cooked or they become grainy. There is no reason that beef fat cannot make a fine custard as long as you use enough egg yolks and do not let them boil. If it separates, it is probably not enough egg yolks and the cooking part was not done properly (too much or not enough heat). The only thing the after-blending is actually for is to fully emulsify the cooked (but not too much) egg yolks that may have gone grainy, and to fluff the mixture by adding air.

Laura said:
Too few egg yolks will definitely NOT produce a well emulsified custard product when working with this much fat. It would be like going over the limit while making mayonnaise, when you add too much oil for the egg yolk to handle, and everything just goes 'plonk' back to oil and some eggy stuff somewhere in the middle. When you want to fix mayonnaise that has done this, you simply get another egg yolk in a clean bowl and start adding the already 'plonked' mayonnais mixture while beating. Then your mayonnaise is saved and you can see a real example of how the egg yolk actually works. The same is true with this fat custard.

I keep saying we are going to make a video so I guess we need to. We've got it down to a formula now and it turns out perfect every time. We've also settled on our favorite flavors: lemon with a hint of orange, and chocolate with a bit of coffee. These two flavors really mask any off-taste of the lard. And we do use plenty of lemon juice and lemon extract along with lemon zest. Makes a beautiful custard! Use coffee extract along with very strong coffee in the mocha version, too. And, of course, vanilla in both to enhance everything.

Lard & Butter:

Chu said:
Anyway, here's Laura's recipe, adapted to be Coconut-free:

400 ml water
750 grams or 1 pound sweet butter or ghee
750 grams lard if preferred
11 tsps xylitol or 14 tsps erythritol (we actually put 8 and it was sweet enough for most people - try and see how you like it.)
24 egg yolks
vanilla

Making Cake:

Chu said:
Laura said:
You can also increase the gelatin to 4 tablespoons to make the custard very "sturdy" for pouring into molds. We made a triple batch the other day for a birthday, and made three flavors, and layered them in a ring mold. They set up beautifully and sliced just like a cake. It was really like an ice-cream cake more than anything else!

The only trick to make it layered once you have made your three different fat bomb flavors is to pour the first layer in the cake mold and freeze it for about 20 mins till it's solidified, then pour the second one (with strawberries and coconut if you want), 20 minutes in the freezer, and then the third one. Done! While the other batches are waiting, leave them on the counter (not in the fridge), so that they stay liquid and at room temperature. That way, you end up with smooth layers. It was a BOMB!

You can also add an extra teaspoon of gelatin to the fat bomb mix for it to hold together better, but it's not absolutely essential if you cool the cake enough in the freezer, and take it out of the mold just a few minutes before eating.

You can have all the layers and flavors you want!

The carb/fat/protein ratio ends up being practically the same as the fat bombs. Is that a real Keto cake or what?

2 servings version

Gaby said:
4 egg yolks
100 grams of butter
200ml or 1 cup of coconut milk
3 tablespoons of coconut oil
2 teaspoons of gelatin
2 rounded teaspoons or xylitol
Dash of vanilla-liquid and/or powder
3 tablespoons of shredded coconut if desired.
(Added): 25ml water

My basic version:

250g butter
80g coconut oil
400ml coconut milk
8 egg yolks
2 tsp (soft) or 2 tbsp (for moulding) gelatin
4 tsp xylitol
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (2 tsp for plain vanilla)
50ml water, or flavor replacement.

My adaption of the basic recipe with more butter and less coconut oil. Pretty much the same in taste and texture, I just wanted to use a whole brick of butter in two batches cos it's more convenient. Makes about a liter of fat bomb.

Keyhole's Guacamole version:

Keyhole said:
Here is a guacamole recipe we have been using aswell - it is perfect as a dipping sauce to accompany bacon, or to spread on an egg yolk omelette!

Ingredients:
1/4 cup of bacon/pork fat (or more :D ) 32g fat
1 whole avocado (13.5g carbs, 22.5g fat)
1 clove of garlic crushed (if tolerated) (0.1g carb)
1 handful of fresh parsley (lots of potassium :D ) (about 0.5g carb?)
1 teaspoon of ground fresh black pepper
1 teaspoon of crushed celtic sea salt
1/3 of a lemon juiced
1 1/2 table spoons of olive oil - 22.5g fat

First - Mash the avocado in a bowl and mix in the crushed garlic, pepper and salt. Then chop the parsley into small pieces and mix into the avocado well. Add the lemon juice, olive oil and fat and stir unto smooth in texture, like a thick paste :)

All in all - 77g fat and 13.5g carbs. This can make two or three servings, which equals 6.75g carb or 4.5g carb per serving :)

Yas's Bone Broth Chocogelatin:

Gaby said:
Yas said:
I noticed a reaction to coconut milk and coconut in general, my stomach really doesn't like it and I started having headaches too...

Yas, which reminds me. You posted a recipe in one of these threads and its Spanish version in es.sott.net. I translated it, but I'm not sure if I misinterpreted it. Can you take a look and tell me if it is okay or is it missing a step? I wanted to include it in the summary of the cass research:

Chocogelatin
By Yas

-2 cups of bone broth
-2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
-1 or 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
-Stevia (or xylitol)

Do a bone broth without any spices or salt. The idea is to extract the nutrients from the bones and get a gelatinous consistency which will serve as “primal matter” for the recipe.

Place 2 cups of bone broth in the blender. Add 2 tablespoons of pure cocoa powder or a quantity according to your taste. Add 1 or 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon. Add 1 tablespoon of lard to make it creamier. Add stevia according to taste.

Separate the yolks from the whites of your eggs. Add only the yolks to the blender with the rest of the ingredients listed above. Blend the whites separately by themselves until you get a creamy consistency.

Mix all the ingredients (minus the whites) for 2 or 3 minutes. Place your mixture in a bowl.

Place the whites on the same bowl and mix slightly so they will not lose their consistency. Place everything on a final recipient and keep it in the freezer for 30 minutes, then on the fridge for 1 hour.

It is delicious! There is no trace of the broth taste and this recipe is ideal for those who are very sensitive to several ingredients, and certainly a good way of eating bone broth on a hot day.

itellsya said:
I wanted to post a picture just for reference, i aint saying this looks impressive, but it is so delicious of a morning!

My trick for making it is:
Warm up the Butter, Lard, Coffee in a pan.
Once it has melted and is WARM (not hot) i 'temper the eggs'. Spoon enough of the mixture into the bowl of yokes, 1 spoon at a time giving it a quick mix. (with coffee it will become browner)
Once you've added enough to 'dilute' the eggs,
Pour it back into the pan (which is still luke warm), put it onto the heat and immediately use an electric hand whisk stirring round the pan waiting to see the 'steam' rise from the surface (which should be a minute or 2), as soon as i see that, i tip it into a pint glass and...voila! :P

I've realised that it's successful when there is a thin film of custard-like-stuff on the bottom of the pan, and the pint glass is hot to the touch. The above has taken any of the guess work out of 'getting it just right' and the only scramble i get is the white bit that is attached to the yoke.

"fat bomb, fat bomb, your my fat bomb" (to the tune of tom Jones)
Espresso/Coffee
4 Egg Yokes
75 - 100g butter
35g Lard
1 tsp Xylitol (not essential)

serve with 1-2 rollies.

I had the fatty, walked 2 hours for some errands in the blazing sunshine and had a broth for lunch and after a decade of eating just before bed, i'll be ready for dinner by 8pm (a miracle), and i don't think i could've done it with such ease with out ol fatty. I've still got quite a bit to change in my routine, and i will, but this is just great.

On my walk i stopped randomly at a prison farm shop. i discover of all the (local) farmers shops, supermarkets etc, this is the only place that can guarantee GM-free fed produce! Insane. Even more so having read that most UK stores - including M&S - can no longer guarantee GM-free Fed produce...

Added: i had to come up with the above 'tricks' because when making it, the lard 'froth top' would froth too soon because of the electric whisk and it actually then needed a glass of it's own. Now it's like 50/50 :D

Re: Keto Custard - Experimental Variations/Recipes

Notice that our current variation is without butter and without coconut milk, just water, lard, egg yolks, gelatin, flavorings and xylitol or erythritol. It's stripped down for all those who can't tolerate the coconut milk or butter, and still just as delicious if the ingredients are handled properly. Cooking is alchemy.

Laura said:
Notice that our current variation is without butter and without coconut milk, just water, lard, egg yolks, gelatin, flavorings and xylitol or erythritol. It's stripped down for all those who can't tolerate the coconut milk or butter, and still just as delicious if the ingredients are handled properly.

True, I missed the recipe while sifting through the other thread somehow. Is this still the latest one?

Chu said:
Today we made our fat bombs without any butter at all (the only kind of fat was lard), and they came out really good.

500 ml water
1.5kg lard
8 tsps xylitol
24 egg yolks
vanilla

Same instructions as before.

They were choco-coffee flavored. Yum!

Cooking is alchemy.

Yup, we're transmuting lard into gold :P

Other variations from MK Scarlett:

MK Scarlett said:
Gandalf said:
MK Scarlett said:
I now prepare different fat bomb with vanilla, or cocoa or lemon and recently with strawberries and even with blueberrries, and I must say that this last one has a really stunning taste! At least for me... :P

Hi MK Scarlett

Are-you using the basic recipe?

How much strawberries, blueberries do you add?

Yes, I use the basic recipe and I add around 250g (9.oz) of blueberries and 15cl (5 fl.oz.) of juice of blueberries (all organic). And when I use some strawberries, I add around 300g (11.oz) of them and also 15cl (5 fl.oz.) of juice of blueberries, for the color and to reinforce the taste.

Thank you for asking and I'm sorry for not having shared it in my previous post. :-[

I also did some with lemon: I take an entire organic lemon with zest and the flesh of the lemon, but without the white membrane between the two of them. My daughter and my husband told me they would prefer it with half of zest of lemon instead than everything to get a more softer taste. So I will try it for the next time.

For the cocoa one, I did not (on the last time) heat the cocoa as usual by using a pan and xylitol, but I let it at sun and put like that in the blender, so the result is while we have the cocoa taste, we also get some chocolate chip inside, which is always a like a "surprise"...
I also bought 24 jars for yoghurt-maker and I can distribute the different recipes of fat bomb in individual portions. :bacon:

500 ml water
1.5kg lard
8 tsps xylitol
24 egg yolks
vanilla

An online calculator says 1.5kg is the same as 1.5L or 6.34 cups or 52.91 oz. Does that sound about right?

I'm going to try to make my first small batch with bacon grease and chocolate powder.

hlat said:
500 ml water
1.5kg lard
8 tsps xylitol
24 egg yolks
vanilla

An online calculator says 1.5kg is the same as 1.5L or 6.34 cups or 52.91 oz. Does that sound about right?

I'm going to try to make my first small batch with bacon grease and chocolate powder.

No, water is 1kg:1L, and is heavier than fat, so it will be less. If that's what they're saying, it's probably I'm guessing that big of a difference.

Fat Bomb Recipe?

I have been searching for half an hour for the most recent (or popular) fat bomb recipe. Gandalf and France showed me how to make one yesterday so now I want to have a go, but I have found so many variations that I can't figure out which is the one I should be using. Also, I don't seem to find the one Gandalf said was the original.

Can anyone help me with that?

Re: Fat Bomb Recipe?

Well yes, that's where I've been looking. Am I to understand that the coconut cream custard IS the fat bomb? And all I have to do is go forward in the thread for the more recent recipe?

Yes, it started out with coconut cream and the fb's most recent incarnation uses lard.

mocachapeau said:
I have been searching for half an hour for the most recent (or popular) fat bomb recipe. Gandalf and France showed me how to make one yesterday so now I want to have a go, but I have found so many variations that I can't figure out which is the one I should be using. Also, I don't seem to find the one Gandalf said was the original.

Can anyone help me with that?

You can find the original recipe and some adaptations in that thread:

http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,35043.msg499015.html#msg499015

And the one that we did yesterday was (half recipe):

Saieden said:
Chateau Crew's perfected recipe:

Laura said:
1 liter or 1 Quart of coconut milk (canned is fine)
500 grams or 1 pound sweet butter or ghee
1 cup coconut oil or lard if preferred
11 tsps xylitol or 14 tsps erythritol
24 egg yolks
vanilla
grated, unsweetened coconut if desired - 1 cup

Put the coconut milk, butter, coconut oil, gelatin, xylitol in the pot. Mix around to start the gelatin dissolving. Put pot on a heat diffuser on the stove, low medium heat. Stir it occasionally as it warms up. Meanwhile, separate the eggs. Freeze or toss out the whites.

Make sure the eggs are beaten up, none of the yolks whole.

When the mixture in the pot starts getting hot and steaming, you want to get ready to put the egg yolks in very carefully. This is crucial. I use a meat thermometer and when it says that the temp is 70 C - 158 F - it's time.

Take the pot off the stove.

Start drizzling the egg yolks into the pot while whisking thoroughly between each addition. I usually add a bit, make sure it is mixed well, add a bit more, mix well, and so on. Have a scraper handy to scrape out the bowl into the pot.

Put pot BACK on the heat. At this point, you want to stir constantly until the mixture starts to thicken. That will happen when you come back to your temperature 70 C - 158 F. You can feel it. Once you feel a definite thickening, about one more minute of stirring. At this point, take the pot off and set it into cold water in the sink and keep stirring until the water in the sink gets a bit warm. While doing this, add the vanilla. A good bit if you like. I put in 3 or 4 tablespoons, more or less.

Next, put the pot on the counter. At this point, you can make different flavors.

Get 1/2 cup/4 ozs/100 ml of water ready and your immersion blender. Add in your cup of [flavor of choice]. Mix. Then, start blending the custard and add the cold water. Blend all around in the pot until the water and plenty of air is fully integrated. This step gives the custard a super light, silky texture. Also, if you let your custard get too hot and it curdles, doing this will restore creaminess.

Finally, ladle into dessert dishes or little jelly glasses or yogurt glasses and refrigerate for an hour or so.

Thank you Gandalf! I actually found it right before you posted this. And I already have all the ingredients, so I'm going to give it a try on the upcoming holiday (St-Jean).

By the way, what is the name of the appliance you used to make it, and the mayo? I want to see if I can find something like it that's not too expensive.

This is so great that the recipe is here - THANK YOU everyone!!! :)
I've had this on the back of my mind since coming across the conversation in a transcript.

This will be perfect for my young boy, I've been looking for something like this that can be cake-ish and ice-cream-esq. He's 7 now and has to deal with the pressures of fitting in with his friends and food more and more & I've been seeking replacements for conventional standbys.

Back
Top Bottom