Earthquakes around the world

EARTHQUAKE REPORT PAST 24HRS

▪︎1 quake above magnitude 6
▪︎5 quakes between magnitude 5 and 6
▪︎32 quakes between magnitude 4 and 5
▪︎121 quakes between magnitude 3 and 4
▪︎248 quakes between magnitude 2 and 3
▪︎485 quakes below magnitude 2 that people normally don't feel.

A strong magnitude 6.8 earthquake occurred in South of the Fiji Islands 20 hours ago.

Strongest quake today: Magnitude 6.8 South Pacific Ocean - 20 hours ago

Latest quake: 4.0 quake Ecuador - Morona Santiago, A 14.82 Km De Puyo, Feb 17, 2022 11:24 am (GMT -5) - 12 minutes ago

Earthquakes Today: Latest Quakes worldwide past 24 hours

For some time now, I have been watching Austrians earthquakes reports. It is updated every day so if you click on the link some weeks after i posted it you will see a different situation.

Right now it is remarkable that for quite a long time there are so many little quakes going on near the area were I live.

I enclose a pdf I made from todays sitaution from an excel sheet. Since Excel sometimes changes Numbers to Date-Format some magnitudes look a little funny.

Attachments

• Earthquakes.pdf
    142 KB · Views: 4
For some time now, I have been watching Austrians earthquakes reports. It is updated every day so if you click on the link some weeks after i posted it you will see a different situation.

Right now it is remarkable that for quite a long time there are so many little quakes going on near the area were I live.

I enclose a pdf I made from todays sitaution from an excel sheet. Since Excel sometimes changes Numbers to Date-Format some magnitudes look a little funny.

I have a question.

I noticed in the pdf that there were several negative magnitudes, like -0.1 and -0.3... What exactly is that ? Or what does that mean ? (I didn't even know that negative magnitudes existed).

▪︎6 quakes above magnitude 5
▪︎38 quakes between magnitude 4 and 5
▪︎115 quakes between magnitude 3 and 4
▪︎202 quakes between magnitude 2 and 3
▪︎490 quakes below magnitude 2 that people normally don't feel.

Moderate magnitudes

▪︎5.4 earthquake occurred in South Pacific Ocean, New Zealand, 19 hours ago.

▪︎5.1 earthquake Mid-Indian Ridge
2022-02-17 21:14:43 (UTC-06:00) Depth 10.0 km

▪︎5.1 earthquake 38 km ESE of Ishinomaki, Japan 2022-02-17 20:55:08 (UTC-06:00) Deepth 59.4 km

▪︎5.2 earthquake 50 km SSW of Chirilagua, El Salvador 2022-02-17 17:36:25 (UTC-06:00) Depth 68.8 km

Strongest quake today: 5.4 quake South Pacific Ocean, New Zealand, Feb 18, 2022 10:50 am (GMT +13) - 19 hours ago

Latest quake: 3.5 quake 0.7 km southeast of Okinawa, Japan, Feb 19, 2022 1:12 am (GMT +9) - 14 minutes ago

An earthquake of negative magnitude is a very small earthquake that is not felt by humans.

How can an earthquake have a negative magnitude? | U.S. Geological Survey

Thank you Puma

It is a little funny though, that USGS writes that "An earthquake of negative magnitude is a very small earthquake that is not felt by humans". But in my opinion that isn't a definite criterium explaining a negative magnitude, because for example, even (positive) 0.5 or 1.0 M earthquakes are usually not felt by human beings. But, I understand that negative magnitudes then are exceptionally small earthquakes...

I do remember a story, though. My best friend Per-Olof back in 1992 who lived in Märsta, north of Stockholm, experienced a tiny tiny earthquake late in the evening, and said to me: "come here, look... look at the plants". His senses felt it - I didn't see nor feel anything :lol: I though, he was as usually a bit over the top.

However, he went further and called the Institute for Geoscience at Uppsala University next day, speaking with a seismologist guy there. Who confirmed that a tiny 0.5 M earthquake had happened at that very same time evening before. That was baffling, of course.

I once read in the mainstream media 10-15 (?) years ago - no wait: it found it - it was on 25 May 2006, when a 2.0 M earthquake had occurred in the western part of Stockholm City - and some Strockolmians woke up from it, calling SOS and wondering what was going on (thinking it was a sort of explosion) The official explanation was, that the rock solid underground in Stockholm is the very reason and being a shallow one, why you can feel an 2.0 M earthquake in the city. Usually 2.0 M are not felt by the population.

Tabloid media Expressen wrote on 26 May 2006

Something as unusual as an earthquake shook Stockholm last night.
It measured 2.0 on the Richter scale.

- We only know of three or four such quakes in the Stockholm area over several hundred years," Reynir Bödvarsson, a seismologist at Uppsala University, told Expressen.se.

The quake struck Stockholm at 01.10 last night and was initially a big mystery. SOS was called by panicked Stockholmers. "There have been calls from Stora and Lilla Essingen and Fredhäll and some from Kungsholmen," says Iris Eichwald, operations manager at SOS. Witnesses tell how windows rattled and houses shook. Many fled to safety in the streets. Police launched a large rescue operation to locate the suspected explosion. A helicopter flew over Stockholm to help. "There has been some kind of explosion, but we haven't found any fire, nobody feels the smoke. We have no injuries," says Iris Eichwald. One report said it was a gas pipe that had exploded.

Unusual

It was only in the morning that the mystery was solved. The tremors were caused by a small earthquake measuring 2.0 on the Richter scale. After checking several different measuring stations, the quake was located. "It's shallow, which means it's felt properly, but you can't rule out an explosion in a rock chamber," says Reynir Bödvarsson. But the most likely scenario, according to Bödvarsson, is that it is an earthquake. "It's unusual but completely natural," he says. According to Bödvarsson, Sweden is shaken by about ten quakes every year, but it is very rare for them to hit the Stockholm area: "We only know of three or four in the Stockholm area over several hundred years," he says. The forces behind the quakes are plate movements and land uplift after the ice age, Bödvarsson explains. - But it's nothing to worry about, he says.

I have a question.

I noticed in the pdf that there were several negative magnitudes, like -0.1 and -0.3... What exactly is that ? Or what does that mean ? (I didn't even know that negative magnitudes existed).
I was wondering, too, and therefore I asked the ZAMG. They sent me the link. I give a short translation of the important point to your question:

"Negative magnitudes:
Again and again we are asked why magnitudes smaller than zero can exist. The reason why we can measure magnitudes in the minus range today, i.e. with value smaller than zero, is that our earthquake measuring instruments (seismometers) are much more sensitive today than in 1935 when Charles Richter developed the magnitude scale. He did experiments in California with various heavy weights that he dropped from a tower and then measured the ground shaking at a greater distance with his meters. He thus established a logarithmic relationship between energy, distance, and ground shaking. He called magnitude zero the ground shaking that he could no longer measure with his measuring instruments. Since today the measuring instruments can really measure much, much smaller vibrations than it was possible for Charles Richter at that time, this results in negative magnitudes today. Of course, since magnitude is a logarithmic measure of shaking energy, even if the magnitude is negative, there is still positive but small energy.

As examples: The energy of a weight of 1 kg falling from a height of 1 meter corresponds to a magnitude of about -2.5 (minus 2.5)."

The complete link is here:

▪︎4 quakes above magnitude 5
▪︎26 quakes between magnitude 4 and 5
▪︎99 quakes between magnitude 3 and 4
▪︎219 quakes between magnitude 2 and 3
▪︎390 quakes below magnitude 2 that people normally don't feel.

A strong magnitude 5.1 earthquake occurred in South Pacific Ocean, Tonga, 2 hours and 13 minutes ago.

Strongest quake today: 5.1 quake South Pacific Ocean, 289 km south of Nukalofa, Nuku'alofa, Tongatapu, Feb 20, 2022 3:45 am (GMT +13) - 2 hours 14 minutes ago

Latest quake: 3.3 quake Sea of Okhotsk, 14 km northwest of Nemuro, Hokkaido, Japan, Feb 20, 2022 1:48 am (GMT +9) - 11 minutes ago

24 hours relatively still.

Last week saw just 1 M6 and that was a M6.2 in the Central Mid-Atlantic Ridge.
In the usual area, there were 0 out of 93 earthquakes worldwide equal to or greater than 4.5 and 1486 out of 2013 quakes of all sizes.
Percentage: 73.8%
Last week saw 2 M6 with the highest being a M6.8 in the Fiji Islands.
In the usual area, there were 2 out of 79 earthquakes worldwide equal to or greater than 4.5 and 1565 out of 2047 quakes of all sizes.
Percentage: 76.5%
Earthquakes 7 days to Feb 20th  2022.gif

▪︎3 quakes above magnitude 5
▪︎41 quakes between magnitude 4 and 5
▪︎114 quakes between magnitude 3 and 4
▪︎251 quakes between magnitude 2 and 3
▪︎395 quakes below magnitude 2 that people normally don't feel.

A strong magnitude 5.4 earthquake occurred in Pacific-Antarctic Ridge 23 hours ago.

Strongest quake today: 5.4 quake South Pacific Ocean Feb 19, 2022 6:46 am (GMT -10) - 23 hours ago

Latest quake: 4.0 quake 34 Km Al Noroeste De Rosario, Costa Rica, 2022-02-20 09:32:43 - 15 minutes ago

Mrtn said:
At the end of the year I noticed this rhythm in the Global Seismic Activity Level on volcanodiscovery.
It was only the 4 red bars back then and I wanted to wait some more time before posting, but by now there still seem the be something of a pattern of half a month.

The orbital rhythm of the moon likely has a bearing on that, it has about a 15 day swing from peak to trough in the distance to earth.

1645390797140.png
The Moon's distance from Earth and Moon phases in 2014.
Moon phases: 0 (1)—new moon, 0.25—first quarter, 0.5—full moon, 0.75—last quarter

▪︎11 quakes above magnitude 5
▪︎47 quakes between magnitude 4 and 5
▪︎143 quakes between magnitude 3 and 4
▪︎191 quakes between magnitude 2 and 3
▪︎367 quakes below magnitude 2 that people normally don't feel.

A strong magnitude 5.8 earthquake occurred in Flores Sea, Indonesia, 3 hours ago.

Strongest quake today: 5.8 quake Flores Sea, 48 km north of Ruteng, Indonesia, Feb 21, 2022 8:35 pm (GMT +8) - 3 hours 14 minutes ago

Latest quake: 3.8 quake East China Sea, 120 km north of Naze, Amami Shi, Kagoshima, Japan, Feb 22, 2022 12:36 am (GMT +9) - 13 minutes ago

Moderate activity

Back
Top Bottom