http://www.gilad.co.uk/writings/film-review-avatar-a-humanist-call-from-mt-hollywood-by-gila.html

ILM REVIEW: AVATAR, A HUMANIST CALL FROM MT. HOLLYWOOD BY GILAD ATZMON
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 30, 2009 AT 11:30AM GILAD ATZMON
Avatar may well be the biggest anti War film of all time. It stands against everything the West is identified with. It is against greed and capitalism, it is against interventionalism, it is against colonialism and imperialism, it is against technological orientation, it is against America and Britain. It puts Wolfowitz, Blair and Bush on trial without even mentioning their names. It enlightens the true meaning of ethics as a dynamic judgmental process rather than fixed moral guidelines (such as the Ten Commandments or the 1948 Human Right Declaration). It throws a very dark light on our murderous tendencies towards other people, their belief and rituals. But it doesn’t just stop there. In the same breath, very much like German Leben philosophers (1), it praises the power of nature and the attempt to bond in harmony with soil, the forest and the wildlife. It advises us all to integrate with our surrounding reality rather than impose ourselves on it. Very much like German Idealists and early Romanticists, it raises questions to do with essence, existence and the absolute. It celebrates the true meaning of life and livelihood.

It is pretty astonishing and cheering to discover Hollywood paving the way to the victorious return of German philosophical thought.

To view trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyDQoXEBkGw

The year is 2154 and the RDA corporation is mining planet Pandora digging for Unobtanium, a unique mineral that defies gravity and sells for top cash. Pandora is a remote planet inhabited by the Na’vi, a species that shares some human features. Like humans the Na’vi have their own developed language and high culture. Yet unlike westerners they integrate with their surrounding reality searching for harmony in nature rather than looking for a means to exploit it. The Na’vi are a few feet taller than humans, they are extremely strong, they also possess a long impressive tail and a long plait with a unique bond at its end that operate as an organic USB connection. The bond allows the Na’vi to form a mental and spiritual union with their surrounding organic reality. The Na’vi cherish their planet, they look after it. They also worship a mother goddess called Eywa, who encompasses the integrated spiritual and physical centre of their universe and it’s past.

In order to penetrate into the Na’vi, human scientists genetically engineered human-na’vi hybrid bodies called Avatars. Like in all Western interventionalist and colonial wars, the foreign invader insists on convincing itself that it can create some false needs amongst the indigenous population. The RDA corporation takes pride in its attempt ‘to bring culture to Pandora’. The Avatars are there to communicate with the Na’vi. They are there to teach them English and Western values. They are there to maintain order so that the Na’vi fail to notice that their soil is raped and robbed by the Humans. But as we soon learn, such an attempt is in vein. The Humans have nothing to offer which the Na’vi are willing to take.

Jake Sully a paraplegic former marine is an Avatar. With the support of the appropriate advanced technology and machinery he operates a Na’vi/Avatar hybrid.

Pretty soon Jake, as an Avatar, manages to make contact with the Na’vi. He even manages to infiltrate into their civilisation. Colonel Miles Quaritch, the fierce mercenary leader of the security forces, offers Jake to have his legs repaired in exchange for providing intelligence about the Na’vi.

Though Jake is initially happy to provide the goods, it is just a question of time before the ex- marine, changes his league. Through the eyes of the Avatar, Jake sees truthfulness in harmony. However, through his training and life experience he knows what Human genocidal brutality is all about. He prefers harmony over racial brotherhood.

As the plot evolves, both Jake and the Avatar scientific team understand that the corporation and Colonel Quaritch are preparing for a total war against the Na’vi and their civilization. The scientific team unite together with Jake against the corporation and the mercenary force. They are committed to save the Na’vi. Augustine, the professor behind the Avatar project who is genuinely fascinated by the Pandora magic and motivated by true knowledge-seeking, makes up her mind; she says NO to technology. She betrays the company that finances her research and eventually gives her life to her subject of research instead.

As the movie reaches its dramatic peak, Jake, the Avatar, the ex-human spy is leading the Na’vi defensive war against the Humans. As the mercenary colonel is closing in on the sacred site, the Na’vi fight back fiercely against the superior technological might. The Na’vi suffer heavy casualties. When all hope seems lost, the Pandoran wildlife joins the Na’vi and attack the humans in great numbers, overwhelming them in the air and on the ground.

The film ends with Jake being successfully transplanted into his Na'vi Avatar. We also see the remnants of the human army marching to a sky shuttle that will transport them out of Pandora. The message of the 300 million cinematic spectacle is clear: NO to war, NO to greed, NO to intervention, No to throwing bombs, YES to nature, harmony and respecting the beliefs of others.

I recently learned that Avatar drew some criticism for its alleged ‘racist subtext’. “Na’vi might be blue aliens” says one British commentator “but they’re also blue aliens with Masai-style necklaces…acted by mostly black actors. They’re also rescued from destruction by a white character – played, of course, by a white actor – who becomes one of them”. The idea of a “white liberal man as the saviour of the so-called primitive natives” seems to deliver a ‘patronising’ message.

I find it hard to take these arguments seriously. The Sci-fi genre is creating an imaginary fantastic reality that thrives on familiarity. James Cameron, the man behind the Avatar spectacle, based the Na’vi on an amalgam of many non-white aspects: African tribal markings, Native American settings, Jamaican hair styles and so on. Yet, he manages to evoke empathy in us towards the so-called ‘alien’ rather than towards the Human. This alone should be enough to defy the politically correct accusation of ‘racist subtext’ behind the film.

However, the criticism against Cameron drew my attention to the role of the Avatar as a double agent. Towards the final scene Colonel Quaritch blames Jake for “betraying his race”. Jake indeed changes sides; he is doing it for a good cause. And as it seems, the Na’vi and Pandora couldn’t prevail without him, they needed his leadership. In order to win the battle they needed a leader that is deeply familiar with the enemy's tactics and mode of thought.

One of the reasons that America is defeated in Iraq and Afghanistan is the obvious fact that many Iraqis and Afghanis had been educated in American universities and are familiar with the American way, yet, not many within the American elite or military command understand Islam. Not many amongst the American or British leadership are graduates of Kabul or Baghdad universities.

However, as in the case of Avatar, by the time America and Britain will start to train its forces to understand Islam, it may as well be ready for its new enlightened soldiers to change sides once they arrive on the battlefield.

I would maintain that to stand up against your own people for an ethical cause is the real meaning of humanism and liberty :cool2: :cool2:. Yet, it is pretty astonishing that such an inspiring message is delivered by Hollywood. We may have to admit, once again, that it is the artist and creative mind (rather than the politician) who is there to shape our reality and present a prospect of a better amicable future by the means of aesthetics.

(1) Lebensphilosophie- German, life philosophy, or philosophy of life. A term for the general emphasis on ‘life’ as an important philosophical vocabulary. Generally speaking the Leben Philosophers stood for paying philosophical attention to life as it is lived ‘from the inside’, as opposed to Kantian abstractions, scientific reductions, positivism and naturalism.

sankara said:
http://www.gilad.co.uk/writings/film-review-avatar-a-humanist-call-from-mt-hollywood-by-gila.html

Avatar may well be the biggest anti War film of all time. It stands against everything the West is identified with. It is against greed and capitalism, it is against interventionalism, it is against colonialism and imperialism, it is against technological orientation, it is against America and Britain. It puts Wolfowitz, Blair and Bush on trial without even mentioning their names. It enlightens the true meaning of ethics as a dynamic judgmental process rather than fixed moral guidelines (such as the Ten Commandments or the 1948 Human Right Declaration). It throws a very dark light on our murderous tendencies towards other people, their belief and rituals. But it doesn’t just stop there. In the same breath, very much like German Leben philosophers (1), it praises the power of nature and the attempt to bond in harmony with soil, the forest and the wildlife. It advises us all to integrate with our surrounding reality rather than impose ourselves on it. Very much like German Idealists and early Romanticists, it raises questions to do with essence, existence and the absolute. It celebrates the true meaning of life and livelihood.

I recently learned that Avatar drew some criticism for its alleged ‘racist subtext’. “Na’vi might be blue aliens” says one British commentator “but they’re also blue aliens with Masai-style necklaces…acted by mostly black actors. They’re also rescued from destruction by a white character – played, of course, by a white actor – who becomes one of them”. The idea of a “white liberal man as the saviour of the so-called primitive natives” seems to deliver a ‘patronising’ message.

However, the criticism against Cameron drew my attention to the role of the Avatar as a double agent. Towards the final scene Colonel Quaritch blames Jake for “betraying his race”. Jake indeed changes sides; he is doing it for a good cause. And as it seems, the Na’vi and Pandora couldn’t prevail without him, they needed his leadership. In order to win the battle they needed a leader that is deeply familiar with the enemy's tactics and mode of thought.

(1) Lebensphilosophie- German, life philosophy, or philosophy of life. A term for the general emphasis on ‘life’ as an important philosophical vocabulary. Generally speaking the Leben Philosophers stood for paying philosophical attention to life as it is lived ‘from the inside’, as opposed to Kantian abstractions, scientific reductions, positivism and naturalism.

Is this really TRUE anti war movie or just another fake trojan Horse HOPE ?.

One of the reasons that America is defeated in Iraq and Afghanistan is the obvious fact that many Iraqis and Afghanis had been educated in American universities and are familiar with the American way, yet, not many within the American elite or military command understand Islam. Not many amongst the American or British leadership are graduates of Kabul or Baghdad universities.

However, as in the case of Avatar, by the time America and Britain will start to train its forces to understand Islam, it may as well be ready for its new enlightened soldiers to change sides once they arrive on the battlefield.

Now , he exposes his knowledge of the Iraq conflict to tell the motivation for this article. :scared:

It is good that this post has been place in that thread, thank you. I wouldn't have think about it because I am usually not very concerned with movies, especially US things. I sent it because it seemed to have been interesting enaugh for Atzmon to notice it (Baudrillard's interst in Matrix among all, convinced me to see it and V for Vendetta seemed an obligation because of the Sott comments).

Hello seek10,
It happens that I saw excerts of the whole thing today. Not enaugh to have any real insight, but enaugh to have realized that it remained a costly tool. So it needs to be profitable...

seek10 said:
Is this really TRUE anti war movie or just another fake trojan Horse HOPE ?.

Hello seek10,
It happens that I saw excerts of the whole thing. Not enaugh to have any real insight, but enaugh to have realized that it remained a costly tool.

Will it be a tool of entertainment for the related industry or will it trigger something in an hypothtical awakening of the population. I don't know. But from what I saw one will clearly, indeed see the Empire of greed in it's true barbarian nature. One does clearly rather identify with the tall blue beings.

Their is also something I saw maybe worth some interest. When the Blue beings bring their prayers to their Goddess, they are moving their shoulder around their waists...
It is more than an anti-war movie. it really seems an anti-imperialist object and does really deals with ampathy.

seek10 said:
Now , he exposes his knowledge of the Iraq conflict to tell the motivation for this article. :scared:

We must not have understand the same thing or I don't understand your point :)
What motivation do you mean?

**Moderator's edit: Fixed quotes

Tigersoap said:
Hi herondancer,

Donald Ewen Cameron is quoted in many websites as the father of James Cameron

Donald Ewen Cameron (1901-1967) was a Scottish-American psychiatrist. Born in Bridge of Allan, he graduated from the University of Glasgow in 1924.
Cameron lived and worked in Albany, New York, and was involved in experiments in Canada for Project MKULTRA, a United States based CIA-directed mind control program which eventually led to the publication of the KUBARK Counterintelligence Interrogation manual. He is unrelated to another CIA psychiatrist, Dr. Alan Cameron, who helped pioneer psychological profiling of world leaders during the 1970s.

There is this article but it is certainly full of disinformation :

_http://www.whale.to/b/cameron5.html

but the official bio of James Cameron says that Phillip Cameron, an electrical engineer was his father not Ewen Cameron.

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Cameron

FYI.

Edit : changed "and" by "not"

Hi Tigersoap,

Thanks so much for the info. I was quite surprised, but I guess I shouldn't be. Any project that can get that kind of funding behind it must have ulterior motives. But looking at how people are responding to the movie, there might be as much good as bad to come of it. I've just moved and I'll be looking into it when I have a more regular internet connection.

Herondancer

**Moderator's edit: Fixed quote.

Hello,

sankara said:

Avatar may well be the biggest anti War film of all time. It stands against everything the West is identified with. It is against greed and capitalism, it is against interventionalism, it is against colonialism and imperialism, it is against technological orientation, it is against America and Britain. It puts Wolfowitz, Blair and Bush on trial without even mentioning their names.

Thank you Sankara for the link. ;) It is interesting to see how many "flavours" of impressions exist for this movie! Well, for once i think that Avatar being "the biggest anti War film of all time" is some overstatement.
I guess the film deserving this heavy title should leave you feeling like having being punched or kicked in the stomach due to it's depicting of the horrific nature of war. No one IMO should leave the cinema hall with a "that was cool! :cool:" smile in the face after watching the "biggest anti-war film of all times"! I guess the greatest anti-war film cannot be as "cool flavoured" as Avatar, which is more typical of a film made to be and promoted as a world wide Hollywood "triple-A" block-buster.

In my subjective opinion, a film that would aspire to be a great "anti-war" film should carefully blend between a film and a kind of documentary style, in terms of showing how small, insignificant and expandable an individual's life becomes. That wider angle approach could add a lot of depth and breadth to the film, leaving less room for cross-species love stories, hero marines, etc. and would expose the greater dynamics behind war and how devastating it is to all life on Earth and the personal life and dreams of humans. A war affects all ordinary individuals, but ordinary individuals rarely affect a war in the way suggested by films like Avatar. For example, many World War II documentaries capture this creepy "straw vs harvester" analogy of powers between the individual and War. A great anti-war film should not miss this point IMO. Anyway, just some thoughts!

Thank you
:)

sankara said:
seek10 said:

As I understood it, Mr Atzmon seems to wish that American and Uk soldiers defect to the other side to fight the "good fight".
And then what ?...

[quote Author=Gilad Atzmon]It is pretty astonishing and cheering to discover Hollywood paving the way to the victorious return of German philosophical thought.We may have to admit, once again, that it is the artist and creative mind (rather than the politician) who is there to shape our reality and present a prospect of a better amicable future by the means of aesthetics.[/quote]

I mean, does he really believe that one ?!
Although understandable, it seems rather naive imho.
As if Hollywood hasn't been shaping the reality towards what the PTB wants us to believe when they need it !!
Of course it is not that clear cut as many movies are indeed eye openers in some cases.

I think it is symptomatic of how people (me included) are starving for Truth and vision of a better world, and when Hollywood decide to give away a modicum of truth, people lose all sense of critical thoughts about the reason why the PTB/Hollywood would do it.

Avatar seems to play exactly on that longing for something better, but to the PTB terms, they took our liberties, our emotions and our life away to replace it with 3D,popcorn, games and entertainment.

Thanks but no.

Maybe this could be used by a certain FOTCM to offer people a real solution :D

My two cents.

hello Mrs Tigersoap,

I agree that the fact that Avatar is just a movie is a limitant factor( and with my subjectivity, I can't help thinking how many peasants we could really help in Africa with 400 millions dollars which is supposed to be the cost of the entertainment). Can a movie change things? I think it was the same with the abovementioned V for Vendetta and Matrix. They worked as eyes opener, but they all rely on one character to win against "evil" and remain thus purely artificial.

Still, it is noticeable that this movie is not cynical or pathological in what it depicts. It doesn't fit the zionist/evangelist end time delirium and in a time of demoralisation it may work as an confidence enhancer for the people...

Of course I agree we need to work on the self in order to bring about some changes (at least in ourselves to start with)

"none but ourselves can free our minds" ;)

I just want to add that it may also be that people with different spiritual mindset may be regarded with more respect and this would be a tremendously good thing if the average population started to be respectful of group like FOTCM or others. It is clear in the movie that the blue things people are spiritualy motivated and STO oriented vs greed and materialistic mindset of the invaders.

Just my 2 yens.

I found that the movie was very good indeed and I didn't saw it in 3D. But I wanted to share my negative impressions about it, mainly about possible "hidden" messages (the good impressions are pretty much covered by some reviewers).

(Spoiler alert)

I couldn't empathize with the sci-fi depiction/symbolism of our reality. But perhaps that is the only way to do a super popular anti-war movie... When it happens in another planet, with another race involved. Even though the Na-vi (sp?) were portrayed very similarly to Native Americans, they were still "alien" to us and with their sharp teeth and their huge height (they even had a tail), it reminded me of a mix of vampires and "Nephilims", only that they are blue and they are, once again, the good and cute ones! So I found it creepy in that respect that there was a mixture of races so to speak. The Na-vi were the good guys, so I guess that was an acceptable nice scenario that a human will want to be part of their race. It was all very cute. But at this point, I feel like I'm not quite depicting the reality anymore, and who knows which hidden messages this movie is giving to the average Joe.

My 2 cents.

sankara said:
seek10 said:

I didn't see the movie , but I was suspicious of positive intent. Here are my impressions based on trailers and review you posted. thank you for posting the review.

What I am saying is the author seems to be thinking that "understanding of Islam by american controllers" could have fixed the problem. Well, we all know the Islamophobia is only a smoke screen and we already know most of the harm and destruction is done in Afghanistan or iraq by CIA type of agencies through black water , suicide bombers etc. to create the STS frequency leaching ground.

and also we also know how STS imitates the real and uses it as a smoke screen over the reality it wants to create.

By branding this film as a anti war movie, he is giving legitimacy to the lie that " things can be changed by educating American authorities", who in reality has no control over the things they do. they are just following the orders from the above. In the process he is absolving the top of the food chain for their crimes.

We all know PTB was discredited over Iraq and Afghanistan. middle level beneficiaries like petroleum companies are also exposed. Shock doctrine already exposed the role of big business in changing the rulers. Nothing new he is showing here in this movie. he took the plot that is common man already know pretty well and dumped the blame on lack of understanding. True disinformation contains great part of the truth.

Probably I am dissecting one sentence out of 100 sentences, but that is how the disinformation works. tell 90% truth and induce 10% incorrect conclusions and message in the people's mind. Let that 10% amplified from some other sources or means or at another time

I have watched 2d version since I have no ability to watch pictures in 3D because of my eyes coordination problems, and I was enjoing in effects anyway.
I did like the movie even I was very suspicios since old Cameron movies were not interesting for me , especially Titanic.
I went to cinema to watch effects, but I liked the story also. I was under impressions whole day after. I liked the way that their religion is presented and their way of living with world around them. Of coruse we cant avoid that common concept "man destroyed his world and then goes to look further ..."

Just wanted to add a few observations. I saw Avatar in 3D a few days ago and tried my best to observe all the way through the experience.....it was very hard not to be totally submerged in the 3D experience.

Ok....this is the first and I think last 3D movie I will see. I actually feel quite split about the whole experience. So I'm going to attempt to dissect my observations.....

It was visually stunning, extremely immersing...and I can see them pushing this in computer games way before TV. People are going to be really lost when they get it to work for computer games.
The 3D experience was interesting. My eye kept trying to change focus to look at different things.....this caused mild eye stain because the focus is pre set....that is you can't adjust your focus to bring blurred aspects of the 3D image in/out of focus. So very quickly my eyes adjusted to holding a fixed (pre scripted) focus.....this also meant that where I was looking on the screen was also not much under my control as much (my 'focus' was controlled).
Combining a fixed/externally controlled eye focus, an externally controlled eye position (where to look on the screen) and the panning (rotating) scenes where your point of view would fly around the character gave a very similar sensation to mild hypnosis. I remember having the same sensation when watching Darron Browns 'How to Controll the Nation' on TV where he got people to stick to there seats (not be able to stand up) through what appeared to be hypnosis via the TV.

I noticed some odd glitches in the images to start with (which my awareness of diminished over time)....mostly on black images. There where white spots/patterns that where briefly there.....apparently available to alternate eyes....not sure if it was dust or intentional.

The colours where a little over the top in places.....in that....it reminded me of either the PC demo scene or the computer generated neon 3D worlds you tend to see on screens in dance/trance clubs. Hypnogagic imagery.

I left the cinema feeling physically drained. The only other film to produce that effect in me was the second Lord Of the Rings film......
So I'm not entirely sure if it was the length of the film or something new....but I felt like I was in a slightly altered state mentally after leaving. Very dissociated.
Doing pipe breathing and POTS before sleep and I had a huge amount of mental chatter and garish neon images appearing in my minds eye. I also found part of myself continually going back to the film and thinking how wonderful it is and how much I wanted to 'experience it again'........
So much so that I noticed it has an addictive quality to these thoughts......a (3D) visual drug.

I have very little experience with drug induced altered states....but what experience I do have has a similar flavour to what was left after having watched Avatar in 3D.
Hence the split....part of me really wants to recommend it in 3D for the 'experience'.....the other part of me things the 'experience' is akin to drug taking.

Beyond these potentially subjective observations....I did pick up on some programming that I have not seen mentioned in this thread yet.
That of anthropomorphism. Identifying with a non human self. Specifically a more base or animal self.
I have posted before about my identification with fox's and other animals (hence my nick name)....so it was quite obvious to me on reflection that this was being actively pushed during the film. We are actively encourages to identify with the locals.....who despite some of there virtues are portrayed as animalistic.....they are also not human.
I have no problem with this on its own.....but combined with all the above and it rekindled (quite strongly) my past identification programs. I had a great desire to be running through the forrests and baring my teeth in battle.
To be something other than me/away from myself. To not be what I am/all I am. To not be present in myself because the 'other' is more interesting/less painful/more stimulating/ideal.....an addictive fantasy self image.

I found the battle scenes quite pathological.....the burning horse was quite horrific. Yet it wasn't quite real......I can't help but wonder what effect all this may have had on people (more so children) who may not be able to hold some small amount of self observation.....heck I'm slightly worried about what effect its had on me. The battle scenes where some of the most immersing parts......probably because of the heightened emotional investment.
Its taken me several days of pipe breathing and POTS to get my head back to what it was before going to see the film. osit

Rather than being emotionally manipulative like films before this can be (in terms of programming)....I think in 3D this film is mentally/visually manipulative in a hypnotic brain wave altering manner.

I wasn't sure about posting this.....but given some of the little red flags I've seen in this thread I think it may well be important to post my observations. fwiw

RedFox said:
I noticed some odd glitches in the images to start with (which my awareness of diminished over time)....mostly on black images. There where white spots/patterns that where briefly there.....apparently available to alternate eyes....not sure if it was dust or intentional.

Those are called CAP markings, from wikipedia:
_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coded_Anti-Piracy

[quote author=wikipedia]CAP coding is a multi-dot pattern that is printed in several frames of a film print of a theatrically exhibited motion picture. It is sometimes accompanied by text code printed on the edge of a motion picture print, outside the visible picture area.

The dots are arranged in a unique pattern as identification of the particular print of a movie, and are added during manufacture. The marks are not present on the original film negative; they are produced either by physical imprint on the final film print or by digitally postprocessing a digitally-distributed film. This enables codes to be customized on a per-copy basis so that they can be used to trace the print to the theaters that played that particular print and to trace any bootleg copies however they were made – be they telecined, cammed, or telesynced.[/quote]

Sorry that I was not able to get back sooner ..I have read and heard this from different source's in reading but i don't have coppies of the material, and or as well. But thanks to those whom did answer that might have saw this information that spoke up in my absents ( p.s; still waiting for and internet connection ) ........................ ;D

I'm glad you posted em Redfox.

The whole focus-control aspect was something I wasn't consciously aware of, but now that I think about it I do remember adapting to it.

RF said:
I found the battle scenes quite pathological.....the burning horse was quite horrific. Yet it wasn't quite real......I can't help but wonder what effect all this may have had on people (more so children) who may not be able to hold some small amount of self observation.....heck I'm slightly worried about what effect its had on me. The battle scenes where some of the most immersing parts......probably because of the heightened emotional investment.

Yeah I remember the horse too, that was a serious image. It's a pretty intense film, definitely not something I'd take small children to see.

Contrary to the battle scenes, I thought the few bits where Jake was running around in the woods, climbing up the floating rocks, and flying on his flying mount were the scenes that caught me. I felt in my belly, like I was moving with him, which was disorienting and oddly pleasing. Kinda like how I feel when I fall/fly in a dream only I was awake. The movie really tickled my motor center & emotional center while my intellect identified with the anti-war, pro-nature themes. Hmm :huh:

Back
Top Bottom