I saw this today (with the ReadD tech, this movie was made for it - skip the 2D!) and was just blown away. Going to agree with the thoughts here - while the story may be a retelling of others in a way, I still loved it.

Will be seeing again :D

I've only see the trailer (in a movie theater) and I was deeply afraid. :scared:

I don't know but for me this stuff contain some powerful mind programming material. Seeing it in 3D is the last think I will ever do.

I was prepared to not like this movie -- I don't think the trailer did it justice -- but I was really impressed. I also saw it in 3d and was blown away by the visual effects. I would have to agree with the positive reviews posted thus far. In the movie I was most moved by the scientists who chose to align themselves with the Na'vi and their STO principles at great danger to themselves (at least physically). There was one point when Jake Skully was coming out of one of his dreamwalker states and said something to the effect of how he was once and soldier who thought he was fighting for peace and he had to "wake up". J. Cameron even chose to have the shaman of the tribe be a female. And I immediately thought of the EE program when the Na'vi were "meditating" in a gigantic ring around the soul tree.

I would definitely see it again.

Agree with Puck, anyone who is interested in movies that make you think about serious questions of morals, racism, aliens, right and wrong, human nature, greed, corporate mentality, military mentality, psychopaths, how important is the body, spirituality, alternate realities, difficult choices and many other questions will probably enjoy this movie.

Anyone who likes to think about these things this movie should get your mind going.

It's also the only movie I know of recently that tackles the us vs them mentality and the question who am I really?

I really enjoyed the movie. I saw it in 3D and what a visually beautiful movie. I definitately saw this as a person who transforms or awakens and comes into contact with his soul. The STS world being metallic and cold and drab and the world of STO, of nature, the soul coming in brilliant array of colors and lifeforms. The interconnectedness of the people to the world of nature and plants and even the subtle seeds of the tree they called the soul of the tree. And as mentioned in the review the last shot is of eyes asleep that awaken. Can't miss the symbolism there. Thumbs up! ;-)

I 've just seen it and I only have three words:
beautiful, wonderful, fantastic

ellipse there is no mind programming there, in fact there is a very powerful thread about the link with nature and interconnectedness of everything.

Just came back from the movie and was moved like everyone else. A must see if you can.
Posté par: Corto Maltese
ellipse there is no mind programming there, in fact there is a very powerful thread about the link with nature and interconnectedness of everything.
I will go further and say that on the contrary, for some it may be the beginning of a deprogramming, and eyes opener, a path toward awakening.
Posté par: Ellipse
Seeing it in 3D is the last think I will ever do.

I saw it in 3D and was quite amaze with the result, it was my first 3d movie and can only think that holographic movie or "reality" is just around the corner. It really made me wonder at the beginning what is reality anyway, when you can create another one only with light and a projector. Every things is an illusion indeed.

Puck, your review really made us grab our coats and run to the movies. Thank.

From my daughter during the movie. " Daddy I really like the way the Na'vi live." and "why are the human destroying there habitat" It is call capitalism my love.

forgot to say:
The alien movie without Sigourney is not an alien move.
It has been quite a journey for her and it is nice to se her finally making the peace with aliens.
Considering she must be well in her 50-ies i thought she looks smashing. Though her avatar was a bit grotesque :)

Corto Maltese said:
forgot to say:
The alien movie without Sigourney is not an alien move.
It has been quite a journey for her and it is nice to se her finally making the peace with aliens.
Considering she must be well in her 50-ies i thought she looks smashing. Though her avatar was a bit grotesque :)

Yeah agreed and by the way, she just past 60!

Wow! What a movie. Your all so right, the Na'vi showed so many STO principles. Their interconnected with one another and the world around them. I also found it amazing how it almost seemed like biological technology that Laura talked about. A type of technology that you must interact with in order for it to work, even though in a natural setting. For instance with the tree able to transfer ... oops I was almost about to spoil the plot for those who haven't seen it yet.

SPOILER ALERT
How the tree was able to transfer Scully's mind from his human body to the Na'vi body with all the help of the tribe pooling their energy together and linking together with the tree, absolutely breathtaking.

:thup:

Wow what an amazing movie..and I agree with everything that has been said here, words can not describe the beauty of this movie.

Just got back from seeing it, and have an interesting observation to report:

Before the movie began, we were shown several minutes of commercials all devoted to enrolling in the military. It was pervasive.

Once the movie was over, everyone took off their glasses and practically ran out of the room. In less than two minutes Hubby and I were totally alone, and we've never had that happen before, Holiday shopping or not.

The movie was cool. I've heard it called "Dances with Aliens." A better comparison would be with the movie "Thunderheart". Kind of a melding of those two. ;)

Hubby and I were discussing it, and he said he's sick of everything being about politics. Many of his co-workers didn't like the movie, because it cast the military in a bad light, and they are techies, engineers, and 'he's dissing our future.' What future? :rolleyes:

I think its time for something more life affirming, and Avatar certainly has that. :D

I'd love to see it again, but I think once with 3D is enough. :-[

A question, I see that many of you saw 3D version.
I only saw 3 D movie (with cardboard glasses) once, ages ago and it was not really pleasant experience. It made me feel awkward and it gave me sort of pressure in the forehead.
Has the 3D technology become more friendly on the eyes in the meantime, and how did you all find 3D in general ?

Corto Maltese said:
Has the 3D technology become more friendly on the eyes in the meantime, and how did you all find 3D in general ?

I felt the same way about 3D movies and was forced to go to Monsters Vs. Aliens recently when it was in 3D IMAX and I have to say that the technology has improved quite a bit. So I imagine it's even better with this movie. Still have yet to see Avatar but will try to go to it soon for sure.

Corto Maltese said:
I only saw 3 D movie (with cardboard glasses) once, ages ago and it was not really pleasant experience. It made me feel awkward and it gave me sort of pressure in the forehead.

I dunno, I went to the cinema like an year ago and saw an advertisement about cars in 3D. It was only like 2 minutes but I felt a headache creeping in. It was not a pleasant experience at all.

Back
Top Bottom