I had a similar experience to many in that I found that the film has left a big impression on me, I am thinking about it more than I would usually after seeing a film which is basically a very predictable plot. The visuals were so stunning and enjoyable, aside from the 'focusing' issue with the 3D which did tire my eyes more than a normal film. The Na'vi themselves have been given such detailed and precise facial expressions and body language, more so than any computer generated characters I have seen so far, that I found myself empathising with them as if they were human actors! I found this somewhat disturbing, to think that CGI has finally achieved this for me. I found the film to have a certain emotional affect on me because I was comparing it to the real world, using it as a metaphor for real conflicts past and present. This was at the root of my disturbingly strong desire for some kind of revenge against the humans, I think.

Here is Stefan Molyneux's view of the movie that is very interesting. He talks about the transformation process that humans go through in life from a child to an adult as depicted in the movie.

From crippled soldier to ten foot tall painted hippy - one of the greatest transformations in artistic history!

An epic journey of emotional growth and what a journey it is!

Adding my two cents

Watched the film on December 25th. Had high expectations of the 3D graphics and very low expectations of the story. The story met my very low expectations and the 3D graphics blew my mind. I was especially impressed by the scenes were framed/shot. Imho, I think there were a lot of shooting angles and panning, zooming, strafing, etc. camera techniques which used here that would be the "standard" for 3D films to come.

I agree with most that the 3D effects would serve to create the dissociative state in the viewer quicker. Personally, to avoid this kind of dissociation, I try to watch the movie by taking notice of how scenes are shot, how fluid or choppy the transitions between scenes are, the camera angles, the details of the characters, background, etc. I think it helps me to be aware of myself watching a movie and rather than being immersed in it.
Of course, when you're immersed in the movie (i.e. in a dissociated state) it would be very difficult to realize that you've dissociated and then pull yourself back out.

Regarding the movie having an "anti-war" theme, I beg to differ. I do understand that most people would agree to the idea that the movie promotes an anti-war sentiment. But, imho, that is just the dressing for the underlying theme. I think that the movie encourages an equally violent reaction to violence. Which, for the long time members and lurkers of this forum are familiar with, is one of the desired reactions that the ruling elite want from the populace. TPTB know how to deal with a violent mob/population, not unlike how there are agents provocatuers planted in a peaceful demonstration so that the group can be riled up into an angry mob and the police can use physical force against the group.

The "sex" part of the film also wasn't so subtle. The way the aliens are drawn, there were no aliens that didn't fit the "sexy mold". There were no pregnant aliens, old frail aliens, etc. Nothing "undesirable" to look at.

**** SPOILER ALERT ****

There are some other details I noticed while watching:
- When the JakeSully (the alien) finally revealed that he knew of the human plot against the aliens and was subsequently rejected by Neytiri, and then Neytiri then takes him back and rides with him when he gets a bigger/badder flying thingamajig;
This kinda reminded me of the meme that the girl goes for the guy with the big fancy red car.
- Jake Sully the crippled human much prefers his "virtual life" of JakeSully the alien.
Not unlike how people playing video games really immerse themselves and some even go so far as to like the virtual world better than the real world.

Hello Heimdallr ...........I did some checking trying to find if there was a connection. A bio By Marc Shapiro, "James Cameron : an Unauthorized Biography of the Filmmaker" ( Renaissance Books), The book states that his dad Phillip Cameron was an electrical engineer. Donald Ewen Cameron born 1901-1967 was Scottish- American psychiatrist. Born in Bridge of Allen, Scotland and graduate from the University of Glasgow in 1924. Information was from wikipeddia; Thanks Heiemdallr for the correction as their is no real evidence that is in deed the case the founder and organizer of Mk-ultra, that they are two different people that i can surmise i stand corrected . But i did read it and thought i strange but obviously missinformation . Interesting Info magazine theres a picture of James receiving an star on the Hollywood walk of fame with both parents, but ironical his father seems a bite shy and looks to cover his face perhaps bad timing by the photographer ......!

Although I am yet to see the film, I wanted to give my thoughts on the whole disturbing 3D glasses trend.

In my opinion, movies today are nothing but an emotional draining dynamic. Theaters today resemble more like emotional feeding frenzys than anything else.

As I watch new modern type movies, I find myself longing for the older classics. Something is definitely wrong with movies of today compared to movies of yesterday.

To me a good anti-war movie is a "Full Metal Jacket" or a "The Thin Red Line".

A good objective movie in my opinion, will not force you to dissociate and do exactly the opposite. It will allow you to follow as an objective observer looking at a narrative with lessons to learn, rather than "living the movie".

As for the 3D glasses, I think they are there exactly for the purpose of making you dissociate so it would be easier to drain you.

Although many people think the glasses thing is something new, they have been around more than 20 years now. And I'm talking about the new types. They just where never mass propagated as they are now. Because I have been a computer buff, and in my younger days I was always on top of the latest technology trend, I had one of those glasses in the mid 1990s. They came with all the new top of the line Video Cards. And there were many games that where written for utilizing the technology. Also I remember there was actual software where you could watch any non-3D movie in 3D.

My point, well let's just say I used the thing for a total of maybe one week. And this is before I knew anything about esoteric information and mind programming.

What I found immediately using the darn thing was the sheer draining aspect of the thing. I would certainly tire out faster using this thing and definitely would feel "lobotomized" slightly after using the glasses. Even if it was for a short time. So over the years I have stayed away from all forms of 3D glasses for movies and or computers.

Thin Red Line was a great insight into the insanity of war and the slaughter of young America and the world youth as a whole! Good observation and great actting as well as great music and photography etc. Thanks

Also saw Avatar few days ago, and like others this was my first 3D movie and on top of that in an Imax theater. After it ended my immediate feelings were mixed, mostly negative. As has been said the visuals were stunning, so was its length. For me what RedFox wrote pretty much sums up my impressions.

RedFox said:
Combining a fixed/externally controlled eye focus, an externally controlled eye position (where to look on the screen) and the panning (rotating) scenes where your point of view would fly around the character gave a very similar sensation to mild hypnosis.

It took some time to get used to this controlled nature, the need to watch specific areas on the screen. I tried not to get overwhelmed and not to dissociate, quite hard, and from time to time I'd take the glasses off. The novelty of the whole experience helped to stay on top as I was sort of experimenting in trying to analyze what th 3D effect was doing. At the end felt disturbed by the hypnotic quality of the whole experience.

RedFox said:
left the cinema feeling physically drained. The only other film to produce that effect in me was the second Lord Of the Rings film......
So I'm not entirely sure if it was the length of the film or something new....but I felt like I was in a slightly altered state mentally after leaving. Very dissociated.

Experienced same feelings of energy drain as well as something I can't quite put my finger on, some sort of inner disturbance not just the result of the effects, but that along with the effects came something else on the level of hypnosis and programming. After the movie ended most of the people stayed in their seats for much longer than usual, my impression was that they were similarly stunned. Definitely felt like we "downloaded" more on sub-conscience level than we were aware of.

RedFox said:
Doing pipe breathing and POTS before sleep and I had a huge amount of mental chatter and garish neon images appearing in my minds eye. I also found part of myself continually going back to the film and thinking how wonderful it is and how much I wanted to 'experience it again'........
So much so that I noticed it has an addictive quality to these thoughts......a (3D) visual drug.
I went to a late night viewing and after getting home it took a few hours for my mind to calm down sufficiently to go to sleep. All the while the disturbing feelings stayed with me. Another tnhing Ive developed a bit of an obsession tnhat I need to see it again because I might have missed something and therefore didn't get the full proper experience. Definitely strange.
Overall I feel that what disturbed me has been covered in this thread. More from me would just be noise.

**** SPOILER ALERT ****

Michael Martin said:
**** SPOILER ALERT ****

There are some other details I noticed while watching:
- When the JakeSully (the alien) finally revealed that he knew of the human plot against the aliens and was subsequently rejected by Neytiri, and then Neytiri then takes him back and rides with him when he gets a bigger/badder flying thingamajig;
This kinda reminded me of the meme that the girl goes for the guy with the big fancy red car.

I think the reason she took him back was because she realised that he is there to help them and can do so. Maybe even destined to help them, because he ''was the one'' who could ride that big bird (the only way he could prove them that he does want to help them was to try and ride that thing). But it does give the idea of the girl going for the guy with the fancy car.

I also have to say that I find Jake Sully's avatar very cute! And with cute I mean his face and his smile especially (almost fell in ''love'' with his smile!). In the middle of the movie I told my brother that he looks like the guy from the Twilight movie, Robert Pattinson, (who many young girls love). And apparently I wasn't the only one thinking that: _http://www.crazycritics.com/page/rob-pattinson-avatar

Michael Martin said:
- Jake Sully the crippled human much prefers his "virtual life" of JakeSully the alien.
Not unlike how people playing video games really immerse themselves and some even go so far as to like the virtual world better than the real world.

Hehe funny you'd say so, the movie reminded me of my time playing WoW (World of Warcraft).
It gave me silly thoughts to play it again! Thankfully I have little time for that.

Oxajil said:
I also have to say that I find Jake Sully's avatar very cute! And with cute I mean his face and his smile especially (almost fell in ''love'' with his smile!). In the middle of the movie I told my brother that he looks like the guy from the Twilight movie, Robert Pattinson, (who many young girls love).

And the "aliens" have sharp teeth as well, so I guess he could potentially pass as a vampire as well. Ok, I'm half joking ;)

Perhaps you could chalk it up to the build up of angst and frustration due to many years of first-hand experience with the sheer ignorance of the military-industrial complex mindset (having been in the Marines since 2005), but my first impression was that I found the plot very inspiring, that it sent out a message of hope in the face of such aforementioned ignorance.

On the other hand, I have to admit I wasn't paying close attention to the control of focus in the 3D version as mentioned by RedFox, rylek, etc. Come to think of it, I did feel very tired after watching the movie. Also, as others have mentioned in this thread, how could the PTB allow such an apparently significant spread of knowledge and awareness on the big screen if they didn't stand to gain from it in the long run? The end result of Avatar isn't so much enlightenment and liberation from the forces of the world and materialism, as it is escapism into a virtual world.

Or perhaps as Einstein put it, "No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it."

Hope I'm not being a damper here, but having read all the reviews and thoughts on this thread, I don't think I'll go see it after all. I get so much enjoyment in reading, thinking and trying to put pieces of the puzzle together, that I certainly could use a break from unnecessary distraction.

I still have all my memories of Star Trek/Wars. Pod racing is where it's at! :P

Buddy said:
Hope I'm not being a damper here, but having read all the reviews and thoughts on this thread, I don't think I'll go see it after all. I get so much enjoyment in reading, thinking and trying to put pieces of the puzzle together, that I certainly could use a break from unnecessary distraction.

I still have all my memories of Star Trek/Wars. Pod racing is where it's at! :P

:lol: ;)

I know what you mean Buddy. I made the same decision about the first Indiana Jones movie, and I didn't see that one until many years later on VHS tape. Why? It was all over every media outlet at the time, and I was fed up with the hype.

Unlike redfox, I didn't have a problem shifting my focus around the images in the Avatar movie (3D). Its something I practice doing when watching movies, whether its just on TV or in a theater. This did lead to more eye strain, but I never got the sensation or impression of being overwhelmed or desiring to 'be there'. When the scenes went too fast, I just softened the focus of my eyes and didn't really watch anything. ( To avoid becoming motion sick )

Its made me wonder if that is the reason I don't care to see it again in 3D, and don't plan on seeing it again until it comes out for the smaller screen? It didn't 'grab me' the way it seems to make an impression on other folks.....and that makes me wonder why, and if it made an impression I just haven't discovered yet....?

I do remember snorting at the 'main bad guy' and saying "Yeah, he's a 'good marine', we get it all ready." ;D

I loved this movie! 3D was awesome, I love the concept of how the Navi tribe connected with their planet.

I left the movie wanting to be a Navi too hee hee! :lol:

I've watched the film today with my parents. We didn't watch it in 3D.

First off, it was a pretty good film with a wonderful scenery, detailed native characters, and how one connected with the Mother Nature.

But, during the major battle towards the end of the film, I've found myself crying, watching Na'vi people getting killed, fighting for their native land. There was a couple of people in the theater was cheering during this, and I've felt angry towards them.

Michael Martin said:

That has crossed my mind after the film came to a conclusion.

There was a couple of people in the theater was cheering during this, and I've felt angry towards them.

I am very surprised by the amount of debate in the blogs I read re: whether Jalke Sully is a traitor or the human race. IMO it's a ridiculous question to raise, let alone give a positive answer to it. Seeing how many people's moral sense and abstract reasoning are undeveloped was very hard.

Back
Top Bottom