Gluten and Psychopathy

Thanks zylja for getting me into reading up on this a little!

Here are some excerpts that also tend to support the idea:

http://www.celiac.com/articles/21809/1/Gluten-Tied-to-Schizophrenia/Page1.html

According to senior researcher and reader in genetics, Dr. Jun Wei, more than one-third of all people with schizophrenia show "high levels of antibodies against wheat gluten," and may experience some improvement in symptoms with a gluten-free diet.

From here:

http://www.celiac.com/articles/602/1/Excerpts-from-Celiac-Disease-Going-Against-the-Grains-by-M-Pietzak-C-Catassi-S-Drago-F-Fornaroli-A-Fasano-Nutrition-in-Clinical-Practice-1201-16-335-344-prepared-by-Laura-Yick/Page1.html

It has been hypothesized that gluten may be broken down into small peptides that may cross the blood-brain barrier and interact with morphine receptors, leading to alterations in conduct and perceptions of reality.

http://www.celiac.com/articles/127/1/Schizophrenia--Mental-Problems-and-Celiac-Disease/Page1.html

What most people ignore is that both peptides and trace (biologically significant amounts) amounts of proteins are taken up across the gut mucosa (1,2). Because one molecule of gluten contains at least 15 opioid sequences it is quite clear that this could cause a problem. Increased peptide excretion is found in the urine of celiacs before treatment (3) (Reichelt et al in prep). This is confirmed by a series of papers that demonstrate intact food proteins in mothers milk (4-7). A Canadian group has confirmed that gluten does change a brain enzyme and monoamine levels in cats (8). Their findings a significant even though cats are not gluten eating animals. There is increasing evidence that components from food can indeed cause serious psychiatric (9-12) and neurological (13-16) diseases.

Potamus said:
Thanks zylja for getting me into reading up on this a little!

Here are some excerpts that also tend to support the idea:

http://www.celiac.com/articles/21809/1/Gluten-Tied-to-Schizophrenia/Page1.html

There is more info on this subject here:

How Gluten Causes Neurological Brain Damage
http://www.glutenfreesociety.org/gluten-free-society-blog/how-gluten-causes-neurological-brain-damage-part-9-dr-osborne/

Also this thread: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=16891.0

Thanks Potamus and Psyche for the links! Also, I've finally gotten around to finishing Dr. Blaylock's lecture (shame on me for taking so long!); thank you for recommending it, Starlight. Hypoglycemia, as well as glutamic acid, needs to be looked into more as far as psychopathy goes. :)

I actually found a very interesting paper on how opiate receptors affect the development of personality (__http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/112465579/abstract ), but unfortunately I can no longer access it without subscribing. I recall them saying that psychopaths have overreactive opioid receptors, and that the receptors were least responsive in people with little maternal contact in childhood, suggesting that the receptors are stimulated by social interaction. I haven't yet found any other (free) papers that suggest this, though.

There is a different article (__http://www.williams.edu/imput/synapse/pages/IB5.html ) that says that autistic children also have overreactive opioid receptors; their brains are saturated with opioids. He mentions that these children may do pain-inducing behaviors – like banging your head against a wall – to get endorphin rushes. This would certainly support the case for gluten's addictive qualities, but, without the other source document at hand, it's hard to connect this with psychopathy.

If this opioid-saturated brain idea were true, I'd wonder what effect opioid antagonists, like naloxone, would have on them. This article (__http://www.nutramed.com/eatingdisorders/addictivefoods.htm ) said that wheat and casein took less time to digest with the drug; then again, eliminating those foods entirely would have a better effect.

As mentioned on the Signs page, psychopaths are hardwired to seek rewards; their bodies want dopamine (__http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2010/03/psychopaths-keep-their-eyes-on-t.html ). Additionally, it has been found that psychopaths have more dopamine in their systems than serotonin, which these guys (__http://www.crimetimes.org/03c/w03cp6.htm ) suggest could explain their violent behavior and impulsivity.

However, that ratio may counter what was said in this thread (http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=13083.0 ), that the “Warrior Gene” can inhibit the production of the enzyme MAOA, which in turn degrades the amine neurotransmitters dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin.

Perhaps it has to do with where these neurotransmitters are produced; dopamine in the frontal lobe, where abnormality in psychopaths is more commonly noted, and serotonin in the occipital lobes.

This excerpt (__http://wings.buffalo.edu/aru/ARUreport01.htm), I think, says that dopamine and opioid functions work hand in hand, although I am having trouble with the medical lingo again.

Other, natural rewards can be modulated by the activity of this system: feeding can be elicited (Hamilton & Bozarth, 1988), sexual behavioral can be aroused (Mitchell & Stewart, 1990), and maternal behavior can be facilitated (Thompson & Kristal, 1992) by opiate activation of this reward system. The origin of the ventral tegmental dopamine system (i.e., ventral tegmentum) appears to provide an important neurochemical interface where exogenous opiates (e.g., heroin, morphine) and endogenous opioid peptides (e.g., endorphins, enkephalins) can activate a brain mechanism involved in appetitive motivation and reward. These and other empirical findings are consistent with the notion that the ventral tegmental dopamine system may serve as an appetitive motivation system for diverse behaviors. This is not to suggest that all motivational effects of these rewards emanate from this single brain system, but rather this dopamine system represents one important mechanism for the control of both normal and pathological behaviors. (For a more technical review, see Bozarth, 1987a, 1991).

Wikipedia says this in plainer English, although it specifies opioids that the body cannot produce, like morphine, are involved in the dopamine relationship.

β-endorphin has the highest affinity for the μ1 opioid receptor, slightly lower affinity for the μ2 and δ opioid receptors and low affinity for the κ1 opioid receptors. μ opioid receptors are the main receptor through which morphine acts. Classically, μ opioid receptors are presynaptic, and inhibit neurotransmitter release; through this mechanism, they inhibit the release of the inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA, and disinhibit the dopamine pathways, causing more dopamine to be released. By hijacking this process, exogenous opioids cause inappropriate dopamine release, and lead to aberrant synaptic plasticity, which causes addiction. Opioid receptors have many other and more important roles in the brain and periphery however, modulating pain, cardiac, gastric and vascular function as well as possibly panic and satiation, and receptors are often found at postsynaptic locations as well as presynaptically.

There is also this very interesting excerpt (__http://www.gluten-free.org/hoggan/schiz.txt) that says:

A lesser man might have allowed his insight to wither under the burden of
scepticism. Dohan continued his work by searching for confirmation of his
hypothesis. Zioudrou et. al. provided support, by discovering
endorphin-like peptides (exorphins) in enzymatic digests of glutens (4).
Mycroft et.al. discovered that gluten contains a neuropeptide which
enhances dopamine activity (5).

It would be helpful to know what this neuropeptide is exactly, but I cannot find the entire document by Mycroft, unfortunately.

So, to summarize, psychopaths are hard-wired to seek rewards; they like their dopamine. Opioids (like morphine) inhibit GABA and allow more dopamine to be released. As mentioned before, the opiate-like chemicals in wheat are able to pass the blood brain barrier -- made worse by leaky gut.

However, this inhibition of GABA, which helps the production of endorphins (__http://www.articlesbase.com/health-articles/what-does-gaba-do-in-the-brain-558386.html), should counter stress relief. Yet psychopaths don't have much of a stress response. Perhaps this inhibition applies mostly to unsuccessful psychopaths?

So, I'm guessing that wheat can enhance the "reward system" by preventing natural endorphins from binding to the opioid receptors, thus limiting the need for them and perhaps the production of the GABA?

I'm having trouble connecting the dots at the moment. Feedback is always appreciated. Thanks :)

Hi Zlyja,

Interesting findings. I didn't have much time to go into the sources you give, but this week I am less busy, so it is on my to do list. I too am researching psychopathy, and find some dots that are hard to connect. In my case it is not about gluten, but about genetics of psychopathy and its connection to spindle neurons as C's mentioned before.

A recent paper was published where they looked at differential expression of certain genes in spindle neurons and interestingly certain genes associated primarly with gut are expressed in spindle neurons also. To give some names, Serotonin 2b receptor is one of them. In addition we have bombesin peptides Neuromedin B and Gastrin Releasing peptide. I looked into them a little and found interesting things. Firstly, Gastrin releasing peptide is secreted upon the activation of G cells by vagus nerve. Secondly, they take role in circadian ryhtms which is important to establish, because as far as my knowledge goes, high levels of serotonin should put you into sleep, not cause lack of it. So that was significant, to me at least.

Then I thought how such genes associated with digestive system can influence spindle neurons. Maybe they are decreasing spindle neuron number, maybe they are causing a wrong axonal guidance mechanism that interferes with brains normal functioning etc. I checked if certain gastrointestinal ilnesses were associated with psychopathy, I think I found something, but I couldn't be sure. I was going to ask Psyche's help for understanding medical lingo as you put it. :)

Among 1,780 male persons with duodenal ulcer, gastric ulcer and ulcer dyspepsia without ulcer demonstrable by x-ray, 737 (21%) had been convicted of law offences. There were no differences among the three ulcer groups with regard to the frequencies of the different crimes or the percentage of persons in each of the groups. The percentage of persons admitted to a psychiatric department was higher among those convicted than in the material in general. The dominating psychiatric diagnosis among those convicted was psychopathy. Among patients operated on, the percentage of convicted persons was significantly higher than among those not operated on. Among 168 persons convicted for offences committed while under the influence of alcohol, the percentage of heavy drinkers was higher than in the material in general. Only 3.1% of 771 women had been convicted for an offence. The observed frequencies of law breakers among the patients in the three ulcer group did not exceed the frequencies in the general population.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1146586

I was wondering if any of the people here came across such a connection between psychopathy and gastrointestinal diseases before.

And also I wanted to say that those proteins Serotonin 2b, Neuromedin B and Gastrin releasing peptide may be useful for your further research. Maybe a connection between gluten and those receptors? Maybe those chemicals crossing blood brain barrier affects these proteins on spindle neuron level, losing the function of Anterior Cingulate Cortex and Frontoinsula which are associated with deep emotions like empathy and social intuition which psychopaths appearently lack.

Thank you very much for the hard work you do. I think I will join your research shortly. We may find some interesting dots to connect. ;D

I am now beginning to wonder if there is not some link between milk consumption/tolerance and psychopathy as well.

Notice the following article on SOTT
http://www.sott.net/articles/show/210363

And the comments below it by a forum poster who has been hanging onto her milk like a drowning man hanging onto a straw.

This forum member has been told repeatedly the reasons we will not be promoting the consumption of dairy products, and she was advised that if she wants to write about it, to do so on a blog, that we simply aren't going to host her personal opinions. Apparently, she is totally unable to take guidance and suggestions and function as a reliable member of a network.

And so, I began to wonder if her excessive emotionally charged rants were due to her continuing dairy intake. Is it possible that dairy can also be implicated in the production or perpetuation of pathology of this kind?

In short, the forum member in question is NOT a shining example of how "good" milk might be for anyone.

Laura said:
I am now beginning to wonder if there is not some link between milk consumption/tolerance and psychopathy as well.

And the comments below it by a forum poster who has been hanging onto her milk like a drowning man hanging onto a straw.

Is it possible that the motivation is economical? As in the member promotes milk because it is something she sells or knows someone who sells it? I've learned some folks hang on to things hard when income is involved, especially when the person in question has invested time and energy in it over a few years. It can become obsessional.

I just wanted to add that from my own observations of myself (along with other things I've read) that general inflammation (and this may have been said before) seems to lead to obsessional thinking, lack of empathy, not seeing the bigger picture and being negative/harsh towards yourself and others. It also seems to be part of the drive (and perhaps the cause of dissociative behaviour to to chronic low levels of pain [inflammation] you may not even be aware of?) of addictive and negative escapist behaviours.....
In short it leads to a lack of will power, empathy, understanding and perspective. The programming/conditioning of humans through the manipulation of the foods they eat, leaves the way open for social programming to succeed. osit

Laura said:

This forum member has been told repeatedly the reasons we will not be promoting the consumption of dairy products, and she was advised that if she wants to write about it, to do so on a blog, that we simply aren't going to host her personal opinions. Apparently, she is totally unable to take guidance and suggestions and function as a reliable member of a network.

And so, I began to wonder if her excessive emotionally charged rants were due to her continuing dairy intake. Is it possible that dairy can also be implicated in the production or perpetuation of pathology of this kind?

In short, the forum member in question is NOT a shining example of how "good" milk might be for anyone.

There is a book I've read (same author I've cited earlier in post), where it says that milk is only necessary for babies. Human is the only mammal, that continues drinking milk after eating habits get established. Since primary and original use of milk is designated for the needs of babies, adults continuing drinking milk keep their organism in the state of a baby (or a sucker).

If it's true and body is kept in the state of a baby (or a sucker), I do not see why it won't be mirrored in external behaviour as such (child-like behaviour), since there is quite direct relation between state of organism and thought/emotional processes.

P.S. Sucker in rus. is a reference to babies, that drink milk. Or, immature/unknowing person in other context.

agni said:
Laura said:

There is a book I've read (same author I've cited earlier in post), where it says that milk is only necessary for babies. Human is the only mammal, that continues drinking milk after eating habits get established. Since primary and original use of milk is designated for the needs of babies, adults continuing drinking milk keep their organism in the state of a baby (or a sucker).

If it's true and body is kept in the state of a baby (or a sucker), I do not see why it won't be mirrored in external behaviour as such (child-like behaviour), since there is quite direct relation between state of organism and thought/emotional processes.

P.S. Sucker in rus. is a reference to babies, that drink milk. Or, immature/unknowing person in other context.

Hi Angi
Re:
Human is the only mammal, that continues drinking milk after eating habits get established. - And we drink the liquid nourishement designed by nature for baby cows/goats and not human milk beyond this stage.

As for your sucker theory .As far as I understand it the sucking reflex is not stimulated by drinking milk from glasses, it is a sucking reflex aimed at getting milk from teats. You are right that it continues past weaning age though for although it should be inhibited naturally at 12 months it often persists beyond and is often present in thumb suckers, pen chewers and some smokers who find comfort or relaxation via oral means. The sucking reflex is not elicited by milk, more by shape and pressure of the object i.e finger in mouth, teat , teat substitute.

My Chinese friend talked about the Roman army and how they were able to out march other armies. At that time, the Romans used wheat as their main food supply. My friend, through his studies in China, viewed wheat as a food that gave humans seemingly super powers or at least super charged a bit.

Could this be why wheat was readily incorporated into diets? People thought it was good for them?

I also thought about marching 16 hours a day, for a week. In a body performing at peak like this, what kind of food can give that body the energy needed? My friend attributed that power to wheat. I have read a lot of negative effects of gluten in a society that is lazy, getting in the car to go two blocks, etc.

Is there something to consider here?

I have cut 95% of gluten out of my diet, from what I was eating. The results of the past 6 months, in my physique, are evidence that gluten is not good for me, in this modern world. Now, a nice fresh whole wheat roll gets stuck in my craw. I have a hard time swallowing that.

WIN 52 said:
My Chinese friend talked about the Roman army and how they were able to out march other armies. At that time, the Romans used wheat as their main food supply. My friend, through his studies in China, viewed wheat as a food that gave humans seemingly super powers or at least super charged a bit.

Could this be why wheat was readily incorporated into diets? People thought it was good for them?

I also thought about marching 16 hours a day, for a week. In a body performing at peak like this, what kind of food can give that body the energy needed? My friend attributed that power to wheat. I have read a lot of negative effects of gluten in a society that is lazy, getting in the car to go two blocks, etc.

Is there something to consider here?

I have cut 95% of gluten out of my diet, from what I was eating. The results of the past 6 months, in my physique, are evidence that gluten is not good for me, in this modern world. Now, a nice fresh whole wheat roll gets stuck in my craw. I have a hard time swallowing that.

Hi WIN52,

I've heard something on the radio that might be related to this. Supposedly in Europe there was a epidemic of wheat fungus(?), which does something to nervous system, making people more aggressive. Timing coincided with start of crusades. I was not able to verify any of this data on internet though.

Would this marching power not be related to the calorie content of wheat. this is the big advantage the agricultural revolution gave over nomadic culture , the ability to grow and store calorie rich foods.

so 100g of wheat would give a marching soldier 260 calories which is twice that supplied by 100g rice and nearly 10 times that of 100g carrots. so if it fuel for work then carbohydrates supply it.

Hi everyone,

Wow Biomiast, you’ve done a lot of research on the spindle neurons! I’ve never heard of psychopathy being related to gastrointestinal disorders, so I thought your finding was curious. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner; it took me a while to understand the VEN’s and their functions, since I’m a very slow learner. I’ve tried to find some connections between serotonin 2b, neuromedin b, and Gastrin Releasing Peptide with gluten and thus psychopathy; I don’t believe that I’ve found any “smoking gun” connections, although your research has led me to find some interesting data. Thank you so much for your hard work. I will look forward to any new dots to connect you may find in your free time. :)

For the serotonin 2B, I haven’t found anything yet that could specifically link it to gluten. I haven’t even found a page that suggests opiates could be agonists to them! But there is this page that links to other serotonin receptors, FWIW:

_http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/33784.php

""Number of serotonin receptors influences brain's response to fear and stress

Using positron emission tomography (PET), which provides three-dimensional detail of the distribution of molecular structures, the researchers were able to examine the availability of the two receptors for serotonin in specific regions of subject's brains, including the amygdala and subgenual prefrontal cortex. One of these receptors, the 5-HT1A, causes neurons to be inhibited when serotonin binds to it. In contrast, binding to the other receptor, the 5-HT2A, causes the cell to be excited.

The same subjects also underwent testing with functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI), which shows the areas of the brain that are engaged during different tasks. The researchers used their standard protocol whereby subjects were shown black-and-white photos depicting angry and fearful facial expressions, a simple yet highly sensitive tool that shows how the amygdala reacts to important environmental stimuli.

Those subjects in whom PET showed a higher number of serotonin 5-HT1A receptors relative to 5-HT2A receptors in the subgenual prefrontal cortex had less brain activity in this region during fMRI, as would be expected, since 5-HT1A is the inhibitory receptor. Yet, in these same subjects, the amygdala was much more stimulated than those who had a lower 5-HT1A-to-5-HT2A ratio or just more of the 5-HT2A receptors. In essence, the researchers found that these specific serotonin receptors seem to help control the extent to which any rational "discussion" takes place in the subgenual prefrontal cortex. And absent the voice of reason, the amygdala can behave as it wishes.

I’ve had more luck with the GRP:

_http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.3109/00365528309181579

""Before treatment the celiac patients had enhanced gastrin response and normal PP response compared with normal controls. After gluten withdrawal the integrated gastrin release was reduced to normal in the responders (275 versus 114; p < 0.05) but remained elevated in the nonresponders (231 versus 204)

So I guess gluten causes the gastrin-releasing peptide to go into overdrive in celiacs. Why did it have no response in others? Perhaps leaky gut, or toxicity? The function would make sense because GRP regulates epithelial cells, which are inflamed in celiacs.

On a side note:

_http://ajpgi.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/288/4/G718

""Neuromedin B and its receptor are mitogens in both normal and malignant epithelial cells lining the colon

_http://bio-synthesis.blogspot.com/2009/08/gastrin-releasing-peptide-grp-and_25.html

“”GRP is released by the post-ganglionic fibres of the vagus nerve, which innervate the G cells of the stomach and stimulate them to release gastrin. GRP can directly stimulate pepsinogen release from chief cells by a specific GRP receptor that mobilizes intracellular calcium. GRP has a prominent role as a tumor marker in the diagnosis of small-cell lung carcinoma. It regulates numerous functions of the gastrointestinal and central nervous systems, including smooth muscle cell contraction, and epithelial cell proliferation and is a potent mitogen for neoplastic tissues6.

_http://www.nutramed.com/celiac/celiacallergy.htm

""A cell-mediated type of allergy leads to a host of complicated consequences, especially increased permeability of the gastrointestinal tract (GIT) with more problems downstream. The surface lining of the digestive tract is the largest and most critical interface between you and your environment. In the small intestine, the lining epithelial cells are involved in immune processes. They transfer immunoglobulins produced by lamina propria B-lymphocytes to the surface and interact with other cells of the immune system to induce an inflammatory response to stop microbial invasion. The surface epithelium processes food antigens, and presents antigens to lymphocytes. Both epithelial cells and intraepithelial lymphocytes participate in inflammatory reactions. Epithelial cells proliferate in celiac disease. Crypt hyperplasia is a common tissue response to mucosal damage in food allergy and infection.

It seems that calcium channels may have something to do with it as well:

""The GRP and neuromedin B (NMB) are structurally related to BB and exist within the mammalian small intestine... A series of potent GRP antagonists have been developed by modification of the COOH terminus of N-acetyl-GRP-20-27. The most potent member of this series, N-acetyl-GRP-20-26-0CH2CH3, obtained by modification of the COOH-terminal region of this peptide blocks GRP-stimulated mitogenesis, inhibits GRP-dependent release of gastrin and blocks GRP-induced elevation of [Ca2+]i in vitro2.

Which leads to this:

_http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/tech/2010/06/133_61680.html

""The research team, led by Shin Hee-sup of Seoul's Korea Institute of Science and Technology (KIST), suggests that the medial pain system, the area of the brain that represents pain affection, has a key role in the social learning of fear by observation.

Also, the L-type calcium ion (Ca2+) channels, which are known to contribute to synaptic transmission and neural excitability in the anterior cingulated cortex (ACC) ― part of the medial pain system ― is also required in the learning process for fear, the scientists said.

"If the brain's medial pain system doesn't act normally, a person will not be able to properly recognize the pain and fear of others, and this could be related to a variety of conditions, such as psychopathic personality disorders," Shin said.

"By identifying the brain regions and mechanism related to fear learning and discovering the role of the L-type Ca2+ channels, we believe that we have made an important discovery in the efforts to develop treatments for mental illnesses related to fear learning by social observation."

The inactivation of the ACC and parafascicular or mediodorsal thalamic nuclei, which are the other parts of the medial pain system, substantially impaired this observational fear learning in the animals, the study said.

The deletion of the L-type Ca2+ channels in the ACC also impaired observational fear learning and reduced the behavioral pain responses.

So maybe calcium affects our ability to fear and empathize? Maybe its effects on the brain have to do with its role in detoxing heavy metals? I’m not sure if the above implies that GRP opens calcium ion channels, though.

On a side note, glutamate, which is found in great amounts by weight in wheat, opens calcium channels.

Neuromedin B apparently releases calcium, too, if I'm understanding the med lingo correctly.

_http://www.wikigenes.org/e/gene/e/4828.html

We examined the effect of two des-Met-bombesin analogues, [(CH3)2CHCO-His-Trp-Ala-Val-D-Ala-His-Leu-NHCH3] (ICI 216140) and [D-Phe6,des-Met14]bombesin(6-14) ethylamide (DPDM-bombesin ethylamide), on neuromedin B-induced Ca2+ and [3H]arachidonate release in BALB 3T3 cells transfected with human neuromedin B receptors [30].

Here’s something that has more to do with VEN’s:

_http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:vlyWL2cTmO4J:www.recovery.ca.gov/viewAwardDetails.do%3FtasNumber%3D75-0845%26awardId%3D2883%26isFederalAward%3Dtrue%26category%3DScience%2Band%2BTechnology+%22von+economo+neurons%22+cytokines&cd=10&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

""This proposal is to support a collaboration between the laboratories of John Allman and Barbara Wold to investigate gene expression in laser micro-dissected cell populations in autopsy brains of well-phenotyped autistic individuals versus age and sex matched controls using a recently developed techniques, RNA-Seq. RNA-Seq will be interpreted in the context of SNP and copy number variation (CNV) genotyping. FI (Fronto Insular Cortex) and ACC (Anterior Cingulate cortex) are functionally implicated in social interaction and reciprocity, in empathy, and in the awareness and regulation of bodily functions. These functions are crucially affected in autism. Unlike other homeostatic systems, including those in the hypothalamus, the FI/ACC system appears to have direct access to consciousness and motivation. Analysis of initial RNA-Seq on FI samples produced two coherent gene networks that differ between autistics and neurotypical controls. Immunostaining for several network members has begun to show how networks map onto the cellular circuitry. Specifically, at the cell level, FI and ACC contain large bipolar cells (Von Economo neurons, VENs) that are distinctive features of these structures in apes and humans. We found that VENs express receptors for the cytokines interleukin 4 (IL4R) and interleukin 6 (IL6R) in normal and autistic subjects, and RNA-Seq identified a prominent gene network related to inflammation which is strongly up-regulated in a subset of our autistic cases (autism-A). This network is centers on IL6 and includes ATF3, SOCS3, and GADD45B, which are selectively expressed in VENs. Microglia, the immune cells of the nervous system, are numerous and are in the activated state in autism-A, making a likely signal source. Our remaining autistic cases comprise an autism-B group, which is characterized by increased expression of genes in the presynaptic terminal including NRXN1 (neurexin 1), which provides Velcro-like binding to neuroligins in the post-synaptic membrane. NRXN1 is one of the genes most strongly and consistently associated with autism. NRXN1 has many splice variants which could provide specificity in formation or strength of synaptic connection. To probe these networks more deeply; to assign gene expression and splice isoforms to their proper cells; and to discover remaining differences in autistics, we propose generation-2 RNA-seq on laser-dissected cells. Thus VENs and other key cell types are rare (<5% of cells in FI). This reduces their transcriptome completeness: genes under- expressed in autism relative to controls will be especially affected. Successful laser capture can overcomes this hurdle. We also propose deep RNA sequencing for NRXN1 isoforms and other complex families that may be uncovered. PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: We seek to understand the cellular bases of autism by using a new technology, RNA-Seq, to determine differences in gene expression in autopsy brains of subjects with well described autism versus age and sex matched neurotypical individuals. We have investigated two specific cortical areas involved in self-awareness and social reciprocity which are abnormal in autism and have found increased expression in a network of genes related to inflammation in autism group A, whereas the remaining cases, autism group B, have increased expression in a network of genes related to synapses. We propose to use laser micro-dissection to investigate gene expression in specific neuronal and non-neuronal populations in the cortical areas of interest in the autism-A, autism-B and control groups.

Gluten, I think, causes inflammatory cytokines to be produced in the intestines. I don’t know what kinds it specifically produces, but since the particles in wheat crosses the BBB, these cytokines can wreak all kinds of havoc in the VEN’s, I assume:

_http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-interleukin-6.htm

""While interleukin-6 is vital for optimum immune functioning, the downside is having too much of a good thing. Impaired or uncontrolled interleukin-6 gene expression can produce unwanted immune responses and lead to a variety of diseases, including autoimmune disorders. Patients with rheumatoid arthritis, for example, typically have elevated levels of interleukin-6 in their synovial tissue. To combat this dysfunction, researchers continue to investigate different ways to inhibit binding of interleukin-6. This includes development of an anti-interleukin-6 receptor antibody.

To connect that to gluten:

_http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/568856

""Concentrations of IL-6 also diminish with a gluten-free diet (GFD).[14]

_http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-new-brain/200912/baby-blues-search-beyond-neurons

""One of the main chemical signals marshalling a cellular response to infection are called cytokines. Genes for several cytokines were suppressed in women with postpartum depression. Cytokines are released into the blood by white blood cells, but microglia release cytokines in brain tissue. Cytokines have powerful effects on the excitability of neurons and they regulate cell division and cell development. Recent research, for example, has shown that cytokines released by microglia contribute to chronic pain and addiction to opiate drugs.

Neuromedin B has something to do with alkaline phosphatase:

_http://sites.google.com/site/jccglutenfree/thestory
""The discovery of something called Gluten Sensitivity/Celiac Disease led us to a probable answer for my daughter K's many years of symptoms. She is now a young adult, but her symptom list during her childhood years includes: joint and bone pain, rashes and hives, mood swings, frequent general illness, sinus and throat infections, sleep disturbances, stomach aches, dry eyes and mouth, frequent canker sores, defective dental enamel, muscle spasms, back pain, seizures, chronic asthma, and a variety of abnormal labs along the way including abnormal high alkaline phosphatase, abnormal high CK, abnormal low potassium, repeated abnormal low ALT/AST (which can indicate B6 deficiency), and some other borderline low values, ...but none abnormal ENOUGH to raise concern.

_http://www.wikigenes.org/e/gene/e/4828.html
NMB induced a larger percent change in alkaline phosphatase secretion than GRP with a half maximal response at less than 1 nM NMB [31].

I’m not sure if this is relevant, but I remember someone mentioning the Ventral Tegmental Area:

("Neurofilament Proteins and the Mesolimbic Dopamine System:
Common Regulation by Chronic Morphine and Chronic
Cocaine in the Rat Ventral Tegmental Area")

""It is uncertain what impact such alterations in NFs [neurofilament proteins] would
have on the functional properties of the VTA. NFs are known
to be associated with axonal transport (Hoffman and Lasek,
1975; Tytell et al., 198 1; Hammerschlag and Brady, 1989) although
the precise role subserved by NF proteins remains unknown.
A variety of in vivo manipulations, including axotomy,
aluminum intoxication, and chronic P,P’-iminodipropionitrile
intoxication are all known to lead to decreased NF levels and
to decreased rates of axonal transport (Hoffman et al., 1984;
Tronosco et al., 1985; Goldstein et al., 1987; Watson et al.,
1989). Furthermore, increased phosphorylation of NFs is also
correlated with decreased rates of axonal transport. There is a
progressive increase in the degree of phosphorylation of NFs as
they are transported from the cell body along the axon (Sternberger
and Sternberger, 1983; Hoffman et al., 1985; Carden et
al., 1987; Nixon et al., 1987; Pestronk et al., 1990) which has
been proposed to be the mechanism by which NF velocity becomes
progressively decreased as NF proteins are concomitantly
transported distally (Carden et al., 1987; Lee et al., 1987). In
addition, in vivo axotomy (Goldstein et al., 1987) and chronic
&3’-iminodipropionitrile intoxication (Watson et al., 1989) also
lead to increased phosphorylation of NFs, in concert with decreasing
total levels of these proteins. Finally, NFs from rats
made experimentally diabetic exist in an increased state of phosphorylation
(Pekiner and McLean, 199 1), which also correlates
with the decreased axonal transport rates observed in diabetic
animals (Macioce et al., 1989).
Given the above evidence, our findings that NFs are (1) decreased
in total amount and (2) present in an increased state of
phosphorylation in the VTA after chronic morphine and cocaine
treatments imply conditions of decreased axonal transport within
this brain region. Indeed, we have recently found that chronic
morphine does impair axonal transport in the mesolimbic dopamine
system
(Beitner-Johnson and Nestler, 1992).

And gluten and casein slow down electrical activity, so I believe the above study should apply to what is said here:

_http://depression.about.com/cs/diet/a/foodallergies.htm

""Additionally, the morphine-like substances derived from the incomplete digests of dairy and cereal grain proteins are other dietary factors which may alter mood by depressing CNS serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine levels (5). The reduced number of platelet receptors for serotonin found in patients with celiac disease, which is also caused, at least in part, by dietary factors, again points to food as a factor in some cases of depression.

Serotonin is an important neurotransmitter which is needed for sleep onset, mood regulation, carbohydrate craving and consumption, and a host of other functions (7). But there are other means to manipulate its presence in the brain.

Investigations of abnormal electrical activity in more than two thirds of untreated children with celiac disease has indicated that most of them normalize following dietary restriction (17, 18). These findings suggest that caseomorphin and gluten-derived exorphins are at the root of such abnormal electrical activity in the brain. Since such substances act as depressants, slowing neurotransmission, it should not be surprising if the intestinal permeability, and digestive enzyme deficiencies found in celiac disease were also found in many folks suffering depression. This is underscored by the reports that depression is a very common symptom of celiac disease (19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26). More on this point can be found at: http://www.gluten-free.org/reichelt.html

Since you discussed brain structure relating the the corpus callosum in your first findings, maybe this on the striatum will interest you:

_http://neurologicalcorrelates.com/wordpress/2009/09/04/unified-field-theory-of-psychopath-brain-development-retinoid-toxicity/

""The enlarged striatum is possibly induced by retinoic acid overload, and this retinoid overload upregulates CD38 — which then activates immune cells in the brain (microglia). Result: Overgrown striatum constantly hungry for dopamine, white matter disconnects, and who knows what else.
Just to be clear, the striatum is instrumental that feeling of reward — it’s involved in the serotonin and dopamine pathways — and apparently is something of gatekeeper (behind the frontal cortex) in impulsivity, or making bad decisions. The paper about large striatums in psychopaths:
Glenn AL, Raine A, Yaralian PS, Yang Y., “Increased Volume of the Striatum in Psychopathic Individuals,” Biol Psychiatry. 2009 Aug 14. [Epub ahead of print] doi:10.1016/j.biopsych.2009.06.018
(The authors of course had no such flying leap of speculation).
Backing up, lots of people have striatum issues. An enlarged striatum is found in autistic folks, meth addicts, and others afflicted with clinically categorized conditions.

Then there’s this:

_http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T7W-3VXNJDJ-B&_user=10&_coverDate=04%2F19%2F1996&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1369688475&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=fd80c10514ebb802b0029287b4e3c3c5

“”Gliadin nanoparticles were found to be excellent carriers of all-trans-retinoic acid

However, retinoic acid is anti-inflammatory, so I don’t see how it could increase the stratium. I don't have the evidence to connect the gliadin with the inflammation, but I think it's more likely.

Then there’s something on METH users and the corpus callosum:

_www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15860336
""BACKGROUND: Little is known about structural brain abnormalities associated with methamphetamine (METH) abuse; therefore, we aimed: 1) to evaluate possible morphometric changes, especially in the striatum of recently abstinent METH-dependent subjects; 2) to evaluate whether morphometric changes are related to cognitive performance; and 3) to determine whether there are sex-by-METH interactions on morphometry. METHODS: Structural MRI was performed in 50 METH and 50 comparison subjects with the same age range and sex proportion; quantitative morphometric analyses were performed in the subcortical gray matter, cerebellum and corpus callosum. Neuropsychological tests were also performed in 44 METH and 28 comparison subjects. RESULTS: METH users showed enlarged putamen (left: + 10.3%, p = .0007; right: + 9.6%, p = .001) and globus pallidus (left: + 9.3%, p = .002; right: + 6.6%, p = .01). Female METH subjects additionally showed larger mid-posterior corpus callosum (+ 9.7%, p = .05). Although METH users had normal cognitive function, those with smaller striatal structures had poorer cognitive performance and greater cumulative METH usage. CONCLUSIONS: Since METH subjects with larger striatal structures had relatively normal cognitive performance and lesser cumulative METH usage, the enlarged putamen and globus pallidus might represent a compensatory response to maintain function. Possible mechanisms for the striatal enlargement include glial activation and inflammatory changes associated with METH-induced injury.

Meth is not an opiate, however, so this has nothing to do with gluten. It does increase levels of dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine [fight or flight hormone], though.

And if it’s any interest to you, I found a possible link between casein and psychopathy:

_www.crimetimes.org/96c/w96cp6.htm
""Walsh studied 24 pairs of brothers. Each pair lived together, and included one violent, delinquent sibling and one sibling with no academic or behavioral problems. Hair samples taken from the non-delinquent siblings revealed no abnormalities, while samples from the delinquent siblings showed two markedly abnormal patterns. One pattern of biochemical abnormalities ("type A") was seen in subjects who exhibited episodic violence, while another ("type B") was found in psychopathic subjects who showed no conscience or remorse, were pathological liars, and often tortured animals or set fires as children.
A controlled study by Walsh et al. of 192 violent and non-violent males found the same pattern: 92 of 96 violent subjects had type A or type B biochemical profiles, while only five of the 96 non- violent subjects had abnormal profiles.
According to Walsh, type A subjects have elevated serum copper, depressed plasma zinc, high blood lead levels, and abnormal blood histamine levels. Hair analysis reveals an elevated copper- to-sodium ratio that Walsh calls "quite striking." Type B subjects have elevated blood histamine, low plasma zinc, and elevated lead levels, and hair samples show a depressed copper-to-sodium ratio. Walsh also has identified "type C" and "type D" profiles associated with low-to-moderate levels of aggression.
Much of Walsh's attention has focused on psychopaths, and in particular on murderers. For instance, he says, tests performed on Charles Manson, serial killer Henry Lee Lucas, and James Oliver Huberty (of the McDonald's massacre) revealed a type B pattern of biochemical abnormalities. (Walsh says that only « of one percent of the general population, but between 20% and 60% of studied prison populations, exhibit the type B pattern.) Patrick Sherril, who killed several people in a Post Office rampage, was "an intense type A person," Walsh says, adding that "his most striking factor was his blood lead and cadmium levels."

wiki: Casein has been documented to break down to produce the peptide casomorphin, an opioid that appears to act primarily as a histamine releaser.

So milk protein releases histamine, which has been found to be elevated in psychopaths.

Well, that’s all I found that was somewhat relevant to the discussion. Hope it helps! Thanks for replying everybody! :)

(Edited for typos. :-[)

supposedly their is such thing as lactose free milk. so maybe we could drink that.

Also I'm just wondering... I drank tons and tons of milk as a kid, is it possible my body would keep producing lactase because of the constant consumption of milk.

I remember when I was younger like 4-5 I was diagnosed as lactose intolerant? or maybe my mom just thought so? anyways I drank soy milk for a while, but then I drank regular milk again and kept drinking it.

I drank a lot of milk ever since with no problem... like a gallon a week. now I have cut back to 1/4 a gallon. maybe I will start trying to observe for some effect it has on my now that I am drinking less.

wetroof, I think you would get a more accurate picture of the effects of milk if you were to cut it out for several weeks and then introduce it again. Cutting it out gives your body a chance to adjust to being dairy-free. Reintroducing it will then bring out the sensitivities you have to it.

Have you read anything on the Ultra Simple diet and the method of testing for foods you are sensitive to?

Back
Top Bottom