About Fluoride

LQB said:
[I also got a very good water filter].

Really? One that filters out fluoride? I have not been able to find one, other than reverse osmosis, that will filter out fluoride. Or is this what you have?

I live in an apartment at the time and have a water distiller for drinking/cooking water. But for a shower, I have nothing that will get rid of the fluoride, and ususally landlords don't understand you wanting to redo the plumbing to your apartment so that you can filter out the fluoride with a revers osmosis filter.

I live in an apartment at the time and have a water distiller for drinking/cooking water

How much would one of those gizmos run me? I currently get distilled water from the grocery store (in plastic jugs, no less) and i'm thinking that would be cheaper in the long run. :D

I currently get distilled water

Great if you buy a filter; but if you continue to drink distilled water, keep in mind that it will pull the minerals from your body; throw off your electro-lites. It is important to add trace minerals to distilled water.

I know you didn't ask, and You may already know this, but I have just recently come across a number of people who did Not know this, and they had no idea that this is why they were feeling so awful; having heart palpitations, muscle spasms and general weakness.

Nienna Eluch said:
LQB said:

Really? One that filters out fluoride? I have not been able to find one, other than reverse osmosis, that will filter out fluoride. Or is this what you have?

Hi Nienna Eluch,

Here's a walter filter that filters out fluoride.

_http://waterfilters.mercola.com/products/drinkingwaterfilters.aspx

Nienna Eluch said:
LQB said:

I live in an apartment at the time and have a water distiller for drinking/cooking water. But for a shower, I have nothing that will get rid of the fluoride, and ususally landlords don't understand you wanting to redo the plumbing to your apartment so that you can filter out the fluoride with a revers osmosis filter.

I got a 2-stage carbon filter from aquasana that the folks there claimed removal of the fluoride additive (industrial waste). I also got their shower filter but for this they did not make that claim. Since I didn't really trust them (and little time to really research this), I consigned the sink filter to washing veggies/food and hauled bottled water from a small water shop that filtered with a massive multistage RO with UV for critters. I considered the distilled water option but rejected it for lack of minerals (apparently the distilled water can leach the minerals from your body leaving you with increased need to replenish). So I used the water shop water for cooking/drinking - the shower filter worked the chlorine - and the sink filter worked the rest. This was back when I was in the Denver area - now I'm on the farm on well water (where the considerations are different). From what I have found recently, RO filter systems vary considerably in performance. Overall, the water filter biz is a nightmare of claims and lies so you have to tread carefully. The best drinking water I have found is from the shops that are very serious about their water.

abstract said:
I live in an apartment at the time and have a water distiller for drinking/cooking water

How much would one of those gizmos run me? I currently get distilled water from the grocery store (in plastic jugs, no less) and i'm thinking that would be cheaper in the long run. :D

The aquasana 2-stage carbon sink filter (if I remember right is about $100). Their shower filter (hefty unit) is $45. Then add the cost of replacement filters every 6 mo. But I highly recommend looking for a local water shop - they make the best. If you go with RO - be careful. Apparently the RO stage does not last unless preceded by at least 3 stages of carbon filter.

Lauranimal said:

Great if you buy a filter; but if you continue to drink distilled water, keep in mind that it will pull the minerals from your body; throw off your electro-lites. It is important to add trace minerals to distilled water.

I know you didn't ask, and You may already know this, but I have just recently come across a number of people who did Not know this, and they had no idea that this is why they were feeling so awful; having heart palpitations, muscle spasms and general weakness.

I think this is important! My water shop also sold a trace mineral additive in liquid form called ConcenTrace. I like it and give a squirt to a morning drink. I think Lauranimal is right about the long-term dangers here.

And FWIW, I would pass on the soft plastic water bottles and get good polycarbonate bottles recommended by water folk.

I was actually told by laura and others regarding the distilled water, to alkanalize it with sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and maybe some lemon juice. the baking soda really helps settle out your stomach. :D

abstract said:
I was actually told by laura and others regarding the distilled water, to alkanalize it with sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and maybe some lemon juice. the baking soda really helps settle out your stomach. :D

I think there may be more minerals involved but this would be good to research in more detail. If you add baking soda, you might want to choose one with no aluminum (such as Bob's Red Mill).

Lauranimal said:

Hi Lauranimal,

Have you checked out this thread? You might just change your views about distilled water. :)

Oops, Vulcan's search Kung Fu is better than mine.

[edit: Duplicate info removed]

Back
Top Bottom