Your favorite classical tunes...

When I was a young fella in my twenties I dated a classically trained musician for 6 years, and she taught me plenty about the aesthetics of classical music. I saw a completely different side to her during these moments, and I cherish what we shared briefly even today, I learned a lot from her. She loved this piece, so I'll share it here.

One of the great piano classics by Mozart:

I'm currently practicing the first movement, and although I don't have as much time/energy as I might want for this, it greatly soothes me, especially given all that is going on. It's kind of a "the way is the goal" thing, mastering something in tiny steps, being fully concentrated on pulling that music I hear in my mind out of my unwilling flesh...

The way Barenboim plays it actually comes close to how I "hear" it, compared to all other versions I know of, but still not quite. It's annoying if you know exactly how you want it to sound, but can't pull it off that way quite yet :-D Anyway, for me it was a great decision to get back into classical piano a bit after a 25+ years hiatus. Love it.

I'm not all too much into classical music but there are two compositions that I really like. The first one is "Méditation" from Jules Massenet interpreted by David Garrett:

And the second one is Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata:

@Agron

The film tells the story of three generations, united by their love of music and dance, from the inter-war period to the 1980s, in four countries: France, Germany, Russia and the United States. The four stories come together in the final scene, a concert in Paris.

@Agron

The film tells the story of three generations, united by their love of music and dance, from the inter-war period to the 1980s, in four countries: France, Germany, Russia and the United States. The four stories come together in the final scene, a concert in Paris.

Quite cool! Thanks ;-D

Filmed under Eiffel tower? I will never forget my visits to Paris. Last time I was there I actually went on an Eiffel tour and spent some time enjoying its grandeour and the sight of Paris from the top. When my wife and me came back down and had a snack in the park that is close to Eiffel tower we were awarded by being in a flock of Crows which did an amazing whirling "dance". My wife was scared of them while I was amased :lol:

I would like to share here this old version of a Magnificat by Claudio Monteverdi. It is a version from 1975, surely a very precocious and today "outdated" interpretation within the universe of the interpretation of "ancient music" rediscovered in more recent decades. However, I share it because it has a very special value for me. The first time I heard it many years ago when I was very young (I still knew little about early music) , I was deeply impressed. It was like rediscovering a treasure lost under the mountain of a later music that was more and more "superficial" and/or elitist (without detracting from great later classical works of more elaborate harmonies). I felt such depth in this music that in fact it was the one that had the greatest emotional impact on me, even crying uncontrollably.
In order not to make it too long I put here only the last two movements of the work. The tenors' duo "Gloria Patri" offers a version whose color and emotionality I have not found in any subsequent version (despite being these more sophisticated in instrumentation and historical adaptation). And the end of "Sicut Erat" is for me simply amazing for a work from 400 years ago.

Gloria Patri
Sicut erat

I love Anna Netrebko & Elīna Garanča – Offenbach's Barcarolle.

And Netrebko's interpretation of Rusalka.

And Mozart's Lacrimosa.

Love Rachmaninoff's Bogoroditse Dyevo Raduisya.

And perhaps tho most Adagio from Aram Khachaturian - Spartacus.

It is so hard to name them all, this is just a couple of classical tunes I like to listen.

I love Anna Netrebko & Elīna Garanča – Offenbach's Barcarolle.
I'm not into opera, but I could look at that blonde's hair all day. :love:

And perhaps tho most Adagio from Aram Khachaturian - Spartacus.

The day before you posted that, I had listened to Spartacus. So I listened that day too. I found myself humming the main melody that day too. Such a powerful song that goes through the emotional gamut.

It's also interesting to hear a different orchestra play a song you know, because their timing on certain parts is different, so you're almost more engaged. Still it's like if you hear a song, you tend to like the first version you heard of it the best.

Back
Top Bottom