What are you listening to?

It’s not really black humor to me, it just talks about people who go to war and what can happen. Men need to defend what’s right and good, and they can die doing that. The song is just a metaphor.

I don’t know why everyone defaults to the “King and country” argument as to why men go to war, all the decent men I knew would go to protect their families. There’s a spectrum of reasons obviously.

I’d still “jump” for the right reasons, not because I’m getting ordered. Men don’t really do those types of things for enjoyment. In many ways fighting against things here is a thankless task.

But to keep to the music theme and men singing in harmony, here’s an easier song to listen to. Stan Rogers wrote his own Sea Shanty so he could sing the lead after hanging around the Irish fisherman(if I recall correctly)

Stan Rogers talked about how "Barrett's Privateers" came to be in an old tv documentary called "One Warm Line". The film is about 45 minutes long and he talks about the song at the 30 min. mark -

Stan Rogers talked about how "Barrett's Privateers" came to be in an old tv documentary called "One Warm Line". The film is about 45 minutes long and he talks about the song at the 30 min. mark -

thanks for sharing :) I was listening to J.P.Cormier talking about Stan - ive really enjoyed JPs experiences in the Maritime area of canada as well as the deep south of the usa -
also Rosie Mackenzie from Baddeck in NS a great fiddle player is in the other youtube clip I shared with Brendon Begley and Glenn Hansard -- she lived nearby to us here in ireland for several years and I got to play in a few music sessions with her- a fine player :)

Haven’t ever seen anyone on the forum post a country song so here’s one I enjoy. Toby Keith has put together lots of songs, some comedy and some with more meaningful lyrics. My friend’s father just passed, he worked every day, never saw him treat someone indecent, except for those who earned it and I miss him. Tough to see the good ones pass, they’re still out there though. Hard way to make an easy livin’.

This is modern-classy, gets me uplifting. Even though i enjoy listening a wide range of styles, depending on the mood, circumstances, or a company with at the moment...

There's a good show about a (fictuous) music band on Prime.
Mid-end 70s.
From a popular book. Great cast , writing and ...music of course 🙌
It's called Daisy jones & the six

Aahh this album...

I Think is the best Jethro tull album.
So musical. So true. So rich. This music makes me happy, helps me to get out of this crazy world. The green of these chords, the flamboyance of the arrangements, the purity of his voice... in short, listen to it over and over, it's the only way to listen to THE music.

Back
Top Bottom