Paleo Women/Diet and Menstruation

kokiri said:
During this time, just looking or smelling food makes me feel ill. Used to crave chocolate (yay no more cravings) but I haven't had it in months. I'm guessing because I force feed myself at least 4 oz pork, beef or lamb mostly fat in the morning? I don't know.

Is it a good idea to fast during the bleeding cycle?
Anyone else (on Paleo diet) felt like fasting too during this time?

I would have cravings (mostly for carbs) leading up to it but ends once my period starts. Like you some food smells would also make me want to gag. I used to fast the first day but stopped doing that with the chronic low iron. In fact, I'm not sure it's a good idea to fast with the loss of blood especially for those who tend to be iron poor like myself. Interestingly this month instead of craving carbs I had cravings for meat, particularly grass fed ground beef cooked in butter. I am still marveling at that but I upped the meat and fish oil even more. Once it started I again had little to no appetite but forced myself to eat mostly bacon strips and slices of ham with butter. The plus is that I didn't bloat days before, the flow was significantly lighter and the pain and emotionality was minimal. A huge improvement.

Ana said:
Mrs.Tigersoap said:
This last part had struck me at the time but I did not really know what to make of it. So, maybe during this special time of the month, women are more capable of conquering the predator's mind. This could be part of the reason why women wanted to isolate themselves during this time, to be able to observe it and conquering it?

Well if I look at my own experience while menstruating, I see there is a significant change in me, first of all my body sensations became stronger, I have a great feeling of being inside my body, of being in intimate relationship and "possesion" if that makes sense. I feel charged with force wich decreases as I menstruum.

Also my perception is sharpened, it is easier to pick up hostile presences and underlying dynamics.

I even feel between two worlds sometimes and I need to put a clear intent in mind to not feel dragged by any of them and stay in the middle. With this, some way, the "playing nice" program is countered by a strong sense of self, of staying my ground, of inner freedom to be.

So, I'm aware of a clear distinctive state, which I used to decline in the past trying to eliminate the pain and forgeting the need of connection with my body.
Absolutely! For many years now, I have thought of this time, particularly just before - premenstrual - as being particularly beneficial. For me, I've noticed that all the stuff I was willing to put up with, I was now no longer able or willing to. I am most in my right mind. Funny how this has been co-opted into making women seem crazy when it's really the reverse that seems to be the case! It's as if you are no longer able to deny what your life was showing you all along.

Chapter 7 of Blood Magic - Premenstrual Syndrome: Discipline, Work and Anger in Late Industrial Societies by Emily Martin (pages 167-172) is particularly interesting to me as it touches upon this. She pulls from quite a few sources ranging from essentially blaming women who have a tendency to be more introspective and unable to work more efficiently to those who have a clearer view and express empathy. This is from the work/discpline section. Apologies for the length but I found this entire section worth quoting:

More recent research has also attempted to discover whether women's actual performance declines premenstrually. The overwhelming impression one gets from reading the popular literature on the subject is that performance in almost every respect does decline. According to Dalton's influential account, female students' grades drop, women are more likely to commit crimes and suicide, and they "cost British industry 3% of its total wage bill, which may be compared with 3% in Italy, 5% in Sweden and 8% in America" (1979:100). Yet other accounts have been published that make powerful criticisms of the research on which these conclusions were based: they lack adequate controls, fail to report negative findings, and fail to report levels performance in comparison to men (Parlee 1973:461-462). Still other studies find either increased performance or no difference at all premenstrually (Golub 1976; Sommer 1973; Witt 1984; 160-162).

If it is ever shown conclusively and accepted that women's actual performance is not affected by the menstrual cycle, we might still be left with women's experiential statements that they function differently during certain days, in ways that make it harder for them to tolerate the discipline required by work in our society. We could then perhaps hear these statements not as warnings of biological flaws inside women that need to be fixed but insights into flaws in society that need to be addressed.

What we see when we look at the foregoing list of negative traits is not so much a list of traits that would be unfortunate in any circumstance but ones that happen to be unfortunate in the particular social and economic system, with the kind of work it generates, that we live in. This consideration gives rise to the question of whether losses reported by women in their ability to concentrate or discipline their attention are accompanied by gains in complementary areas. Does loss of ability to concentrate mean a greater ability to free-associate? Loss of muscle control, a gain in ability to relax? Decreased efficiency, increased attention to a smaller number of tasks?

Here and there in the literature on PMS one can find hints of these increased abilities. Women report:

No real distress except melancholy which I actually enjoy. It's a quiet, reflective time for me. (Quoted in Weideger 1977:48)

My skin breaks out around both ovulation and my period. My temper is short: I am in near tears, I am depressed. One fantastic thing - I have just discovered that I write poetry just before my period is due. I feel very creative at that time. (Quoted in Weideger 1977:48)

Others find they "dream more than usual, and may feel sexier than at other times of the cycle" (Birke and gardner 1982:23)

A sculptor described her special abilities when she is premenstrual. There is a quality to my work and to my visions which just isn;t there the rest of the month. I look forward to to being premenstrual for its effect on my creativity, although some of the other symptoms create strains with my family. Another woman, prone to depression, described in the journal she kept, "When I am premenstrual I can write with such clarity and depth that after I get my period, I don't recognize that those were my thoughts or that I could have written anything so profound" (Harrison 1984:16-17).

I don't know what it is, but I'll wake up one morning with an urge to bake bread. I can hardly wait to get home from work and start mixing the flour, kneading the dough, smelling the yeast. It's almost sensual and very satisfying. maybe it's the earth-mother in me coming out. I don't know. But I do enjoy my premenstrual time.

I have heard that many women cry before their period. Well, I do too. Sometimes I'll cry at the drop of a hat, but it's a good crying. I'll be watching something tender on TV or my children will do something dear, and my eyes fill up. My heart is flooded with feelings of love for them or for my husband, for the world, for humanity, all the joy and suffering. Sometimes I just cry and cry. But it strengthens me. It makes me feel a part of the earth, of the life giving force. (Witt 1984;151)

Amid the losses that form the center of most accounts of PMS, these women seem to be describing experiences that. for them, represent increased capacities of emotional responsiveness and sensitivity, creativity, and physical sensuality. If these capacities are there, they are certainly not ones that would be given a chance to flourish or even be an advantage in the ordinary dual work day of most women. Only the exception - a sculptor or writer - would be able to put these greater emotional emotional and associative capacities to work in her regular environment. Perhaps it is the creative writing tasks that are present in most academic jobs that lead to the result researchers find most puzzling; if premenstrual women cannot concentrate well, then why are women academics' work performance and concentration better than usual during the premenstrual phase (Birke and Gardner 1982:25)? The answer may be that there are different kinds of concentration: some requiring discipline inimical to body and soul that some women reject premenstrually, some allowing expression of the depth within oneself, to which women have greater access premenstrually.

Insight into how capacities that women feel around the time of menstruation can be seen as powers and not liabilities is revealed by looking at the ethnographic case of the Yurok.5 Buckley shows in Chapter 8 how the Yurok view of menstruation (lost in ethnographic accounts until his 1982 article) held that "a menstruating woman should isolate herself because this is the time when she is at the height of her powers. Thus this time should not be wasted in mundane tasks and social distractions, no should one's concentration be broken by concerns with the opposite sex. Rather, all of one's energies should be applied in concentrated meditation on the nature of one's life. 'to find out the purpose of your life,' and toward the accumulation of spiritual energy."

With a sense that the Yurok might appreciate the kind of setting that would suit a premenstrual woman, Michelle Harrison, says poignantly,

women who are premenstrual have a need for time alone, time to themselves, and yet few women actually have that time in their lives. One woman wrote, "When I listen to music, I feel better. If I can just be by myself and listen quietly, then the irritability disappears and I actually feel good. I never do it, though, or rarely so. I feel guilty for taking that time for myself, so I just go on being angry or depressed. (1984;44)

What in the right context might be released as powerful creativity or deep self-knowledge becomes, in the context of women's everyday lives in our societies, maladaptive discontent.

edit: clarity

Hmm. Very interesting. Why am I not surprised that our society has yet again taken something positive and turned it upside down and portrayed is as something negative.

It seems that premenstrual women are more in tune with themselves and notice much more the negative aspects of their society, and therefore, the society labels this as something negative. Meanwhile those women who have the opportunities during this time of their cycle, can make positive use of their changed perceptions and awareness.

Even though It's not so clear about all the details and mechanisms of how this works, it seems, especially with the paleo diet, that women can really take advantage of their increased powers and make good use of them.

In further searches on Emily Martin, I found an article titled The Egg and the Sperm: How Science Has constructed a Romance Based on Stereotypical Male-Female Roles

It's a bit off topic as it has more to do with reproduction but presents interesting arguments regarding how cultural perceptions shape language and its use in explanations regarding scientific research:

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:94Y-T4PK5oYJ:www.visibleworld.net/cupajane/articles_people/martin.pdf+%22emily+martin%22+anthropologist&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESiXqXfyHyeeOTUuQFgtx0cU_8BuESNO1Zmcvenmb5LRt0afZOCd6V8A7twx0keVwi5eyWIFSuRDw9hrys9qKUChTjpdDwbBslNpQxHH944G58F4CWOEsAnULm_XZ_etAkBd4u96&sig=AHIEtbTU-IKyNdxl_goVuqSBqTqerCCWCg

brainwave said:
The plus is that I didn't bloat days before, the flow was significantly lighter and the pain and emotionality was minimal. A huge improvement.

It really is amazing to have these kinds of positive changes in the ways our bodies work simply by changing our diets back to what is normal for human beings. It gives us a little insight into how dysfunctional everything else might be that we do not have the ability to notice directly or evaluate. Knowing how a body can get totally out of kilter on the wrong foods makes me feel sorry for cows and dogs and cats that have been put on foods they were never intended to eat either. They must suffer as much as we do.

This is from The Woman in the Body by Emily Martin. The chapter titled Medical Metaphors of Women's Bodies - Menstruation and Menopause. I believe the link I gave in my last post is also a chapter in that book.

In this chapter, she proposes some interesting theories regarding menstruation and menopause and questions popular belief:

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:Ok2A0-9FbhUJ:www.julietdavis.com/WST383/medicalmetaphors.pdf+%22emily+martin%22+menstruation&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESikSWGUs7aQ8SYa5q1pMAmcsULzl7wu-ENjY0huGXU4E81AfsdYZcwYezvzODQ19zfBKg721L31QRX9Av90RuC14K6gxQ979sx9gkS-mF3q7ItFCyDfd8ftkoNhO5HJ4prAbN4S&sig=AHIEtbSm22hJILwanTasc5U8alEaiWtbbw

Now knowing how cultural perceptions have influenced this subject, we can see one of the ways that this had led to a huge industry profiting from women's "problems". Now to refocus on the lives of hunter gatherer societies and hopefully more concrete evidence (in addition to what the ladies here have posted :) ) that can support the role of diet in in menstruation.

truth seeker said:
Now to refocus on the lives of hunter gatherer societies and hopefully more concrete evidence (in addition to what the ladies here have posted :) ) that can support the role of diet in in menstruation.

I've found an article from Michael Lam called Estrogen dominance, the site is copyright protected and so I cannot copy and paste, anyway He says that only one hundred years ago women started their menses at 16 and experienced the cycle about 100 to 200 times in their lifetime and how today the average women starts at 12 and menstruates 350 to 400 times during a lifetime. He goes on explaining that estrogen dominance may be the cause of it and other imbalances and illnesses.

Estrogen is a trio of hormones: Estrone-Estradiol-Estriol, it seems that in healthy women the typical mix aproximates 15/15/70 per cent respectivelly, this is He says how mother nature worked out an optimun combination which is by the way achieved thanks to the balancing effect of optimun levels of progesterone that protects us against the "growth effect" of estrogen specially in the pregnance period preventing further ovulation from taking place.

Progesterone is made from pregnenolone, which in turns comes from cholesterol by the way.

The article deals in detail with the specifics, just to resume Lam says the estrogen dominance reasons are:

-Fed estrogen-like hormones animals
-Antibiotics
-Fruits and vegetables containing pesticides.
-Petrochemical compounds in general consumer products like creams, lotions, soaps, perfumes...
-Industrial solvents
-Hormone replacement theraphy
-Stress
-Obesity (Which he relates to fat intake without discriminate which tipe of fat)
-Liver diseases
-Deficiency of Vitamin B6 and magnesium
-Increased sugar,fast food and processed food.
-Caffeine

He says that in our "developed world" we are bathed with a continous sea of estrogen.

Then He addresses the work of Katherine Dalton on PMS symptoms which are commonly related although not always to progesterone deficiency and how the key dietary adjustments are elimination of:

-Empty calories such as potato chips and other junk foods.
-Hydrogenated fats (trans fats)
-Reduce calcium intake and increase magnesium intake.

And the aditional use of progesterone cream which has already been discussed in the forum.

He also goes on the high fiber- plant based diet so there are some flags but overall there is a good amount of profitable information osit.

So it is possible that our positive changes are due to the interaction of several factors:

-the intake of foods that increase the adrenal’s production of progesterone such as food rich in protein or healthy saturated fat.
-Eliminating processed food.
-Eliminating sugar.
-Eliminating caffeine.
-Eliminating dairy.
-Avoiding antibiotics intake.
-Stress reduction (EE)

Anyway it surely seems we are far away from our ancestors experience since our environment has drastically changed...

Ana said:
He also goes on the high fiber- plant based diet so there are some flags but overall there is a good amount of profitable information osit.

Ahhh... if only he - and so many millions of women - knew that they could so easily end their suffering!

My dos pesos....

My menarche was a month after I turned thirteen (on the bus...I remember to this day sitting on my trumpet case since I was afraid it would get on the seat...uh, never mind...). For the next two years it was insanely heavy, I would have to change pads literally every hour during a couple of days and even then I had an accident or two. Crazy pain as well. It was rather erratic as well, coming a week early often, and sometimes a week or two late. Heavy bleeding during most of it and total lasting 9-10 days generally. I was very skinny and a year-round athlete so sort of bucking the trend there. I became a vegetarian in high school (basically vegan as I never liked cheese or eggs).

In high school it stopped being quite as heavy (as in changing-every-hour-heavy) but still much pain and 9-10 days. During grad school (23-25?) the length started to shorten to more like 7 days, and slowly over my 20s it stopped being quite as heavy, and was more regular, 28-29 days most of the time, though still give or take a few. I was eating more fresh foods from the local market though still most was not organic, still vegan at this time.

In the last year since I un-vegetarianized myself things have been a little wonky. Definitely I would say in the last 3-4 years since I have addressed dietary issues (wheat, dairy, then adding meat again) I have normalized my cycle almost completely to 28-29 days. Pain has lessened over the last decade (am 30 now). The time is shorter, often 5-6 days now and only the first 2-3 on the heavy side.

Biggest addition has had to have been acupuncture though. I wasn't even going for menstrual issues (have been experimenting regularly since I go to school for this now) but have had two completely pain-free periods for the first time in my life. I had no idea that could even be possible. I also have had two rather painful periods but I am guessing things are starting to figure themselves out, and right now it's a little like a seesaw getting balanced. I'm sure my system is still getting used to the meat too; after all, I've only been back on it a year, and was 14 years without. So for me at least the gradual dietary stuff and then acupuncture seems to be getting it all settled.

FWIW!

truth seeker said:
Now knowing how cultural perceptions have influenced this subject, we can see one of the ways that this had led to a huge industry profiting from women's "problems". Now to refocus on the lives of hunter gatherer societies and hopefully more concrete evidence (in addition to what the ladies here have posted :) ) that can support the role of diet in in menstruation.

That was a really interesting essay. Thank you for posting it. All of those negative words associated with women's systems as opposed to men's. The descriptions for the men were really over the top. :O It sure points up the medical community's misogynist attitude. Whether or not it was conscious, it reminded me of the priming effect from psychology (wikipedia):

Priming is thought to play a large part in the systems of stereotyping. This is because attention to a response increases the frequency of that response, even if the attended response is undesired. The attention given to these response or behaviours primes them for later activation.

This can occur even if the subject is not conscious of the priming stimulus. An example of this was done by Bargh et al. in 1996. Subjects were implicitly primed with words related to the stereotype of elderly people (example: Florida, forgetful, wrinkle). While the words did not explicitly mention speed or slowness, those who were primed with these words walked more slowly upon exiting the testing booth than those who were primed with neutral stimuli.

Some info about the Ainu, the largest indigenous population in Japan. While not perfect (unfortunately contains gluten and sugar), their diet at least seemed to consist of foods better able at supporting life:
Traditional staple foods of the Ainu were salmon and deer meat, in addition to millet raised at home and herbs and roots gathered in the woods. Millet was largely replaced by rice earlier in this century. Fresh salmon was cut up and boiled in soup. A rice porridge called ciporosayo was prepared by adding salmon roe (eggs) to boiled grains.

As in other cold regions, Ainu children used to enjoy making maple ice candy. On a late March or early April evening when a cold night was expected, they made cuts in the bark of a large sugar maple and placed containers of hollow sorrel stalks at the roots of the tree to collect dripping syrup. In the morning, they found the sorrel cylinders heaping with frozen white syrup.

http://www.everyculture.com/wc/Japan-to-Mali/Ainu.html

This is a short read with the more pertinent passages beginning at the last paragraph on page 382 and ending with the last paragraph at the end of the passage titled menstruation. Two things caught my eye in reading this. First, a somewhat healthier attitude towards menstruation and second, on average, periods lasted 2-3 days. When there were 4 days of flow, it was always associated with pains. I have no doubt that if gluten and sugar were to be removed, they would see improvement. Unfortunately, I think their way of life is being encroached upon.

The Collected Works of Bronisław Piłsudski: The aborigines of Sakhalin By Bronisław Piłsudski, Alfred F. Majewicz

http://books.google.com/books?id=-cTtFuRS0FwC&pg=PA383&lpg=PA383&dq=ainu+menstruation&source=bl&ots=QYqxNcqGLe&sig=jYQYFwBz2Fqz_C7g9jenwaCh5dg&hl=en&ei=HD7BTv_cD8Pe0QHS7onwBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=ainu%20menstruation&f=false

From: The health consequences of "modernization": evidence from circumpolar peoples By Roy J. Shephard, Andris Rode. Pages201-202
Indices of Maturation

Mills (1939) commented on the late onset of menstruation in the Inuit. In the mid 1800's, the age at menarche had reputedly been around 23 years (Weyer, 1932). In the 1880's it had still been at 19-20 years (Cook 1894-1894) and in the 1930's it was 15-16 years (Bertelstein 1935; Mills 1939). By the time of the IBP-HAP survey cross-sectional comparisons among the Iglooik Inuit (Hildes and Schaefer, pers commun., 1970) suggested that there was already evidence of further advances in the age of menarche as acculturation to settlement life continued. Women aged 17-29 years reported an average age at menarche of 13.9 years compared with 14.5 years in women aged 30-40 years and 14.7 years in those over 50 years of age.

http://books.google.com/books?id=NE_dAx4OyjQC&pg=PA201&lpg=PA201&dq=Nganasans+and+menstruation&source=bl&ots=0txmy-3GWH&sig=68gqVaijISJRPVaZGxIGpFdY2Mw&hl=en&ei=S13BTr6rOcnw0gHF_rHTBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

More on menstrual taboos. This focuses on puberty - warning, highly annoying!

The Golden Bough by Sir James George Frazer, 1922. - Chapter 60, Section 4 - Reasons for the Seclusion of Girls at Puberty

Take note in particular the restrictions of mainly protein and salt while at the same time pushing carbs.

http://etext.virginia.edu/etcbin/toccer-new2?id=FraGold.sgm&images=images/modeng&data=/texts/english/modeng/parsed&tag=public&part=all

What's also interesting is the idea of keeping women from touching the ground and away from water and the sun.

Q: Okay, thank you. Now, in this other book, 'The White Goddess' about the Triple Goddess, alphabets, trees, which this author tracks back to the goddess Danu who Rhys identifies as Cassiopaea... but, in this particular section, it brings up something about which I have been EXTREMELY curious... the lame king, the wounded thigh, and the heel issue which is connected to the thigh issue... the thigh of Zeus and the heel of Achilles. Well, it seems that a LOT of heros or 'gods' had this thigh or heel issue and that later, the divine right of kings was connected to this and often a king was ritually lamed. It seems that the wound in the thigh led to an inability to place the heel on the ground which then led to a tabu against the king putting his feet on the ground altogether. Why the ban against the king putting his feet on the ground? Why did the heel have to be protected from contact with the earth?

A: In order to interrupt grounding of chakras.

Q: What happens when the chakras are grounded?

A: What happens to you?

Q: Well, a circuit is closed and energy flows out of you. When you are grounded energy flows out of you or through you...

A: Or in.

Q: Why?

A: Would you do Reiki with high heels on?

Q: No. You take your shoes off.

A: Why?

Q: So that you complete the circuit so the the energy comes into you to give to another person.

A: Yes.

Q: So, if you have a king whose feet are not allowed to touch the ground, that becomes an altogether STS mode of existence, I would think...

A: Puppetry, as one sees today.

Q: Then, when the individual has been lamed, they have become a puppet.

A: Yes, and who is the puppeteer?

Q: They have become part of the Chain of Command... STS.

A: Yes.

So with this excerpt, it may be easier to see the machinations behind many of these taboos with the sole purpose of maintaining control.

Here are the last two paragraphs of the text linked above.:

Thus the object of secluding women at menstruation is to neutralise the dangerous influences which are supposed to emanate from them at such times. That the danger is believed to be especially great at the first menstruation appears from the unusual precautions taken to isolate girls at this crisis. Two of these precautions have been illustrated above, namely, the rules that the girls may not touch the ground nor see the sun. The general effect of these rules is to keep her suspended, so to say, between heaven and earth. Whether enveloped in her hammock and slung up to the roof, as in South America, or raised above the ground in a dark and narrow cage, as in New Ireland, she may be considered to be out of the way of doing mischief, since, being shut off both from the earth and from the sun, she can poison neither of these great sources of life by her deadly contagion. In short, she is rendered harmless by being, in electrical language, insulated. But the precautions thus taken to isolate or insulate the girl are dictated by a regard for her own safety as well as for the safety of others. For it is thought that she herself would suffer if she were to neglect the prescribed regimen. Thus Zulu girls, as we have seen, believe that they would shrivel to skeletons if the sun were to shine on them at puberty, and the Macusis imagine that, if a young woman were to transgress the rules, she would suffer from sores on various parts of her body. In short, the girl is viewed as charged with a powerful force which, if not kept within bounds, may prove destructive both to herself and to all with whom she comes in contact. To repress this force within the limits necessary for the safety of all concerned is the object of the taboos in question. 11

The same explanation applies to the observance of the same rules by divine kings and priests. The uncleanness, as it is called, of girls at puberty and the sanctity of holy men do not, to the primitive mind, differ materially from each other. They are only different manifestations of the same mysterious energy which, like energy in general, is in itself neither good nor bad, but becomes beneficent or maleficent according to its application. Accordingly, if, like girls at puberty, divine personages may neither touch the ground nor see the sun, the reason is, on the one hand, a fear lest their divinity might, at contact with earth or heaven, discharge itself with fatal violence on either; and, on the other hand, an apprehension that the divine being, thus drained of his ethereal virtue, might thereby be incapacitated for the future performance of those magical functions, upon the proper discharge of which the safety of the people and even of the world is believed to hang. Thus the rules in question fall under the head of the taboos which we examined in an earlier part of this book; they are intended to preserve the life of the divine person and with it the life of his subjects and worshippers. Nowhere, it is thought, can his precious yet dangerous life be at once so safe and so harmless as when it is neither in heaven nor in earth, but, as far as possible, suspended between the two. 12

TS said:
What's also interesting is the idea of keeping women from touching the ground and away from water and the sun.

If I remember correctly, the Himba women in Namibia also observe this rule. Women cannot touch water (they clean themselves with the smoke of burning herbs) and their skin and hair is covered in a thick red paste (a mixture of fat and ochre used to 'protect their skin from the sun'). They seem to observe this at all times, not just during menstruation. In explanation about this phenomenon, texts usually say that Himba women don't use water because water is scarce. Apparently is not too scarce for Himba men, though... Himba women also have way more (and more difficult) chores than men but this is hardly a characteristic: I really enjoy watching documentaries about tribes from all around the globe and I have yet to see one that does not have women toiling like crazy, doing the heavy lifting, the cooking, the gathering of berries or other foods, the raising of children, the fetching of water - basically everything - while men either sit idly, play or 'go hunting'...

So this 'tradition' Himba women have may stem from the same idea?

Mrs.Tigersoap said:
So this 'tradition' Himba women have may stem from the same idea?
Interesting. It's so hard to separate the fact from fiction in all this. The constant twists and turns are insane! All the activity the Himba women are engaged in I'm sure leaves them little time for self counsel. :( Below may be some information that helps sort out the sun question as well as the seasonal menses if accurate.

I thought the entire article was interesting but will copy/paste the more relevant one's for ease of reading. Although McGillion references the pineal gland, it may be helpful to also keep in mind the pituitary gland as per this snippet from Cassiopedia:

In the Cassiopaean material it is not the pineal, but the pituitary gland which is said to have the function often attributed to the pineal gland. The two following sections of the transcripts mention the pituitary gland in this context:

Q: (A) Which part of a human extends into 4th density?
A: That which is effected by pituitary gland.
Q: (L) And what is that?
A: Psychic.
[…]
Q: (J) What exactly is the function of the pituitary gland in your references to Stonehenge?
A: This gland is your uplink.

Both the pituitary and the pineal glands are part of the endocrine system. The pituitary gland is sometimes referred to as the ‘master gland’ of the body because it makes the hormones the other glands depend on. It is these secretions from the pituitary that stimulates the other endocrine glands in the system.

The Pineal Gland And The Ancient Art Of Iatromathematica
by Frank McGillion

Abstract
The medical astrologers of Ancient Greece: the iatromathematici, and the later European physician-astrologers, assumed a correlation between events in the heavens and those on earth that was relevant to both health and disease. Some of the early practitioners of modern scientific medicine did the same under the aegis of what we might term, proto-cosmobiology, though none of them could provide an adequate mechanism to explain the nature of the link they believed existed between the skies and ourselves. With the discovery and elucidation of the pineal gland’s functions in the mid twentieth century, which are discussed in detail, we were in a position to provide such a link and we can now, to a great extent, explain in conventional scientific terms, how those influences of the sun, moon, planets and other celestial phenomena studied by the early iatromathematici and early cosmobiologists could, can, and do, affect us.

Melatonin
It was soon established that the pineal gland produced a number of neuropeptides including one: 5-methoxy, N-acetyltryptamine, considered to be the most important of the pineal hormones and commonly called melatonin, (Figure 1).

1.gif

The biosynthesis of melatonin was discovered to be dependent on a number of substrates and co-factors, and on the activity of a number of enzymes including the light-sensitive: hydroxy-indole-O-methyl transferase (HIOMT). (Lerner et al, 1958; 1959).
As Brownstein and Heller (1968) demonstrated, this enzyme – which catalyses the conversion of serotonin to melatonin – is modulated by nerves that impinge directly onto the pineal gland, the activity of which, in turn, depend upon input from the optic nerves. Thus a small proportion of the impulses set up in the optic nerves bypasses the main visual pathway and, instead, takes a circuitous route to the pineal. Stimulation of these nerves increases the activity of HIOMT and, hence, stimulates the synthesis of melatonin.

Bright light inhibits melatonin production by inhibiting nerve tone to the pineal, whereas darkness has the opposite effect and, by increasing neural activity to the gland, stimulates the production of melatonin. This effect of light is dependent both upon its wavelength and its intensity.

In 1973, Cardinali et al showed that red light produced minimal inhibition of melatonin synthesis, whereas green light caused maximal stimulation. In addition, illumination with a light intensity of 0.5 microwatt/cm2 for forty-eight hours produced a fifty per cent decrease in melatonin synthesis in the rat pineal gland.

By way of comparison, sunlight, which strongly inhibits melatonin production, has an intensity of around 50,000 microwatt/cm2, whereas full moonlight has an intensity of around 0.3 microwatt/cm2. (Altschule, 1975).

Because of its low light intensity, the moon was originally thought to have no effect on the production of melatonin by the pineal gland. However, as we discuss below, more recent studies have produced results that suggest there may be some link between lunar phase and the secretion of melatonin (Law, 1986).

In addition to light, other electromagnetic (EM) radiations influence melatonin production, and EM fields of varying strengths and types – including earth strength magnetic fields – have been shown to influence melatonin production to the same degree as the exposure to light does: both in vivo, and in vitro and in a number of species including humans (Reiter & Richardson, 1992; Reiter, 1993a,b; Schneider et al, 1994; Yaga et al, 1993). Further, magnetic fields of this general type have been found to be effective in directly stimulating pineal tissue (Richardson et al, 1992).

Human Studies
The change of the intensity of ambient lighting with season has long been considered to be a possible source of antigonadal activity in humans as well as animals and, in the late nineteenth century, a description was given in the medical literature of how Eskimo women ceased menstruation in the long winter nights of the Arctic (Cook, 1884).

Additional evidence was produced for a seasonal factor linked to reproduction and photoperiod when a positive bias towards summer conceptions in Finland was demonstrated, which showed an increase at more northerly latitudes. The fact that the incidence of multiple pregnancies was also increased at these latitudes strongly suggested that this was not an effect due to seasonal social influences, but that it was a true physiological effect due to an increased fertility associated with the longer periods of daylight that occur in the summer (Timonen & Carpen, 1968).

Other studies in humans suggested a possibly related phenomenon at work that also linked light to human reproductive processes. Thus Dewan (1967), and Dewan et al (1978), normalised irregular menstrual flow by using light midway through the menstrual cycle. Similarly, Elden (1971) demonstrated that, of one hundred and twenty predicted births in a sample of congenitally blind women, there was only one actual birth and, in an even larger sample, only six births occurred out of a predicted one thousand.

More recent studies have also shown that certain phenomena associated with hyperovulation – such as the incidence of twin births – are linked to both season and photoperiod. (Dionne et al, 1993; Fellman & Eriksson, 1999).

Thus with the discovery of the antigonadal activity of melatonin, and with the emergence of the fact that it was inhibited by light, we were starting to elucidate a more sophisticated mechanism to explain the effects of light-radiation on reproductive phenomena, one, moreover, that seemed to be closely related to the actual and putative effect(s) of melatonin on sexual development and hence to the effect of external EM radiation on the pineal gland.

However, one action of extraneously administered melatonin on sexual development that was identified early on by researchers in this area, appeared not only to be related to its antigonadal action, but to be dependent upon the age of the recipient when it was administered, also.

“Pre-Programming” from Birth
In a number of sophisticated studies of melatonin in animals, it appeared that, as with certain other hormones, the response of a neonatal animal to melatonin administration depended on precisely when the melatonin was administered in terms of chronological age. Thus it seemed that when melatonin was administered around the time of birth, it somehow produced changes in development that were delayed in onset until later in life and were therefore, in a biological sense, “pre-programmed” (Figure 2).

2.gif

Further, these effects, which have been replicated in contemporary studies, appeared to influence both normal and pathological development (Arai, 1968; Esquifino, 1987; Vaughan & Vaughan, 1974).
It was also discovered that such changes in development did not take place if melatonin administration was delayed until a certain time after birth. Thus these delayed developmental effects of the hormone only occurred when it was administered at a set, critical time during the perinatal period.

As one researcher unambiguously stated in this context: “…alterations of the hormonal status of a neonate during a defined critical period [after birth] lead to profound sequelae in…subsequent biological function,” (Reiter et al, 1975a).
From consideration of this phenomenon it was clear that there were mechanisms involved that could potentially be of major significance to our long-term development. Thus: “neonatal administration of melatonin may cause…an abnormal secretion of biogenic amines in adulthood…” (Reiter et al, 1975b).

Such delayed-onset, or “pre-programming” effects of perinatally administered melatonin, while short lasting without reinforcement, were evident in a number of behavioural and physiological indices studied in animals, and they included, not only those associated with sexual development, but other developmental features also, including exploratory and maternal behaviour. Further, they could be produced either by the direct administration of melatonin, or by pinealectomy at birth, strongly suggesting a primary causal role for melatonin in these processes (Sampson, 1954; Sampson & Bigelow, 1971).

In addition, observations in humans where congenital blindness, or exposure to extremes of light-dark periods had been evident at the time of, and immediately after, birth, paralleled these findings; and studies in both congenitally blind women and in other groups continue to provide pertinent observations and findings in this respect (Boldsen, 1992; Commentz et al, 1997; Jaldo Alba et al, 1993a,b; Kennaway et al, 1992; Sans, 1977; Schmidt F, 1995).

Effects of Ambient Electromagnetic Radiation
Given that the production of melatonin is, amongst other things, controlled by the intensity and nature of ambient electromagnetic fields (EMFs) of geo-magnetic strength, then the intensity and orientation of the EM fields a neonate is exposed to perinatally could obviously alter the level of pineal melatonin in that neonate and, hence, influence its later development.

We know the exposure of neonatal animals to light significantly changes later melatonin secretion patterns, and we know that similar effects occur in human newborns (Fielke et al, 1994; Pelisek et al, 1994). We also know that, again, as in animals, EM radiations significantly alter circulation melatonin in humans (Graham et al, 1997; Juutilainen et al, 2000; Reiter, 1995).

There also appears to be a link between the geomagnetic field and developmental factors in humans. For example, the only significant factor that correlates with the development of epilepsy in young adults is the level of geomagnetic activity for two days after birth, and geomagnetic variables have also been considered to be a trigger for birth. There is also a significant correlation between the level of geomagnetism on, and for up to three days before, the birth of male children (Persinger & Hodge, 1999). ...

Regarding magnetite:

Magnetite
Despite our increased understanding of the functions and mechanisms of action of the pineal gland in the past few decades, the precise mechanism at a cellular level whereby electromagnetic radiation can produce biological effects was, until recently, unknown. However in the past decade or so, studies of the ferrous mineral known as magnetite, have shown that it can act as a transducer linking ambient electromagnetic activity to cellular function. In addition – in both animals and humans – magnetite has been identified in most tissues examined, including the pineal gland (Lohmann & Johnsen, 2000; Schultheiss-Grassi & Dobson, 1999).

He also goes on to discuss schizophrenia as occurring within certain seasons which would also be interesting if correct. References at the link below if interested.

http://www.astrology-research.net/researchlibrary/Iatr/pineal.htm

Back
Top Bottom