Paleo Women/Diet and Menstruation

I thought something was wrong with me because I did not have my first menarche until age 16 (on Christmas morning.) I didn't start developing until the 8th grade (age 13.) My very last period came after 11 months of having no periods, age 54 ('05.) I did eat a lot of meat with the fat not cut off growing up--but still a lot of processed foods (this was in the 50's.)

fwiw, it could be that women in the paleolithic times quite possibly had few periods--perhaps seasonal, as has been suggested in this thread. That would be my instinct about it and I want to research it more and will post anything here. The articles were interesting.

Gertrudes
In the time when humanity was turned into a herd of consumers, they not only became consumers of goods, excess food, they were in the same process turned into consumers of human. That's the tragedy behind the tragedy.
The women also had to be rendered available for consume, it was key for the slavery. What better way to make them available for consume than switching off their power of monitoring their bodily functions ?
Turning women into a mechanic for “reproduction” with a regular “period”, what better way of making mankind oblivious of what Love is ?
What better way to transform life givers into birth givers ?

Yes, patriarchal reign and agriculture turns women into breeder slaves, out of touch with feminine Love, Beauty and Truth.

Thought this was interesting to post here...

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menstrual_taboo

The Bible, in the fifteenth chapter of Leviticus, verses nineteen through thirty, describes how a menstruating woman is to be regarded as ritually unclean. The taboo is so great that not only the woman herself suffers uncleanness, but even "anyone who touches her will be unclean until evening" (New International Version). Some scholars believe that the Christian teachings of this Taboo has fueled the prohibition of women as priests in the Catholic Church. They cite that church law has maintained this prohibition due to "ritual uncleanness."[4]

In Islam, a woman is not allowed to offer prayer or to perform other religious activities like Fasting or circumambulating the Kaaba etc. Sexual intercourse with the husband is strictly prohibited during menstrual periods. However, she can perform all other acts of social life as normal. According to authentic traditions, Prophet Muhammad encouraged menstruating women to come to be present at festive religious services for the two Eid holidays even though they were excused from praying.

Just another way of disrespecting and belittling women.

So far the only difference I have noticed in my menstruation is that the level of pain of the first day has decreased significantly.
I started when I was 13 and always had a regular period of 28-29 days without excessive bleeding.

I'm really curious as to the periodicity of menstruation, and if it has really changed in comparison with our Paleo ancestors, there are also a good amount of problems with fertility today in which obviously diet, toxicity and stress levels are affecting people while mainstream medicine treats it always as an inherently condition of the person in question so it would not surprise me that the monthly flow was also a consequence and not an inherent condition.

Then there is also the concept that menstrual cycles, are related to the phases of the moon with its corresponding stages in which the woman is called to participate and live the cycles of life/death/life and renew itself taking advantage of these different energy periods as explains Clarissa Pinkola Estés in Women Who Run With the Wolves, a great book by the way!

So very interesting topic, let's see where it leads us :)

Hildegarda said:
Megan said:
Other women. From what I have read it was a different social structure, with more people living together, across several generations. There was less isolation.

of course, but there are many times when all hands are needed on deck. Berries ripening and needing to be harvested, salmon coming up the river. Or, in a case of a more settled society, lambing, sheering, trading time, etc. Considering especially that the periods of menstruating women living together tend to synchronize. Once in a while it can happen, but to have it happen all the time seems unrealistic.

There are more questions than answers. Fewer periods would mean less lost time and less synchronization. Some authors challenge the prevailing Hobbesian view that early human life was "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short." Pre-agricultural groups may not have had to struggle as hard to survive as later generations did.

Thank you for this interesting topic!

My periods started the day before my christening at 13,5 and they have always been irregular (8 months to 27 days apart even though they seem to be quite a bit more regular after the birth of my son 21 months ago).
I was told that I probably had PCOS since I started lactating 9 years ago without ever having been pregnant or ever having high levels of prolactin.

I was a vegetarian until I got pregnant and my body started craving for fish and for meat when I started breastfeeding. I have cut the carbohydrates down but am still a long way from 50 grams a day. I kind of read it as a good sign that my body was more synchronized to a more normal pattern of periods but will be interested in seeing what happens when I do succeed in cutting down the carbohydrates even further.

Thanks for bringing this topic up for discussion.

Though I have not reached total paleo diet phase, my carbs have been cut back dramatically. Just got PBPM and wanted to finish this book before going full scale, heeding the words of advice from the Life Without Bread thread.

Anyway, have not had a menstrual period for almost 7 weeks. At age 48 I seem to be in menopause which started around 45. For the last year I can not determine when I will begin because past warning signs like bloating, irritability, soreness has stopped. Though I still have pain on the first day though I believe scar tissue may be a factor in this.

Began my cycle at age 13 and at around 23 was diagnosed with PCOS. The doctor that first diagnosed it called it "middleshmurts" meaning middle cycle. I thought he was crazy at first, but then did research and well after a year of terrible pain found that certain foods trigger cysts like caffeine and chocolate. Only up until reading some health and diet threads here about the evils of soy, did I realize that soy was probably the true culprit because I ate a lot of soy. At age 39 had an ovary removed.

Strassmann explained, there were two women who were sterile, and, because they couldn't get pregnant, they were regulars at the menstrual hut. She flipped through the pages until she found them. "Look, she had twenty-nine menses over two years, and the other had twenty- three." Next to each of their names was a solid line of x's.

This stood out for me due to the fact that most of the research is based on women who have children and are breast feeding for many years. These two women who could not have children had many more menses. Having no children of my own I would have been in the menstrual hut as often as these two women. So my thoughts are if a woman's body can not produce the necessary elements to have children there must be some reason that her body continues having a menses.(?)

Now the study was done with an agricultural community, it would be very important to balance it out with lets say the Inuit people that may still maintain their ancestral dietary ways. Though I think this may be a difficult task at this point in time. Not having the ability nor the time these days to do much research myself I want to thank you all again for the work you have put into this.

Still searching for more info on seasonal menses but did come across the info below regarding some cultures thoughts on seclusion around that time of the month:

The Culture of Menstruation

From Red Flower: Rethinking Menstruation by Dena Taylor:
Ruby Modesto, a Cahuilla Medicine Woman, says
the women didn't feel that they were being imposed upon when they retired to the menstrual hut. They got to
be by themselves for three or four days .It was a ceremonial occasion which enabled a woman to get in touch
with her own special power. It was a time to Dream and have visions. Each month the women went to their own
vision pit. The men had vision pits too, places to Dream and pray.. .This was how the people learned.

a Yurok Indian woman, relates how she is trying to keep the ways of her grandmother.
A menstruating woman should isolate herself, because this is the time during which she is at the height of
her powers. Thus the time shouldn't be wasted in mundane tasks and social distractions, nor should one's
concentration be broken by concerns with the opposite sex. Rather, all of one's energies should he applied in
concentrated meditation on the nature of one's life, "to find out the purpose of your life."

In 'Living in the Lap of the Goddess' Cynthia Eller writes:
"Menstruation is described as an opportunity for women to connect to nature, and particularly the moon; to
recognize their own divine life-giving powers; to exercise psychic powers that are supposedly heightened
during or before menstruation; and to experience death and rebirth on a monthly basis. Spiritual feminists extol
menstruation in words like these: 'Our bodies wax and wane with the moon monthly, continually through the
phases of our lives. We contain the ability to conceive, carry, and give birth to life. We are divine!"

From www.fwhc.org
Native American (Lakota):
"Follow your Grandmother Moon. Her illuminating cycles will transform your spirit." Begin with the
Grandmother Moon at her brightest and most open. This is a time of outward activity and high energy. Sleep
where the moonlight touches you. Walk outside where there are no artificial lights. Feel joy and creativity.
As the Grandmother begins to cover her face, begin to withdraw into a quieter, less social place. Move to that
inward place that is more about "being" than "doing." In the dark of the moon, when bleeding, the veil between
you and the Great Mystery is the thinnest. Be receptive to visions, insights, intuitions. Go to a quiet separate
place such as a Moon Lodge. Later, come out of the dark, a woman with a cleansed body. As the moon returns,
come back out into the world, carrying your vision.

On the Powers of Menstrual Blood:

From Red Flower: Rethinking Menstruation by Dena Taylor:
The Greeks thought that menstruating women had some power over the earth's fertility and that specific rites
evolved for that purpose. Women retire to re-birth themselves, and were in tune with the earth's cycles and
fertility.

One of the ways that menstruating women were able to increase the productivity of
the earth was by fertilizing the soil and seeds with their menstrual blood. Several
women have written to tell me that they use their menstrual blood in this way,
either by bleeding directly onto the earth or by rinsing out sponges or cloths and
using the water mixed with blood to nourish gardens.

Detail of an Aztec painting that shows a ritual performed by a woman. To `ensure a
prolific crop and to prevent the assault of insects,' a woman walked around a
planted field. This painting looks to me like the woman is dragging something in
her hand around the field, instead of just walking. An old custom in Italy has a
menstruating woman walk around an olive grove to stop it from being ruined by
caterpillars. The same story is told of grape vines and insects in France. I believe the Aztec woman is dragging
a menstrual pad around the field in her hand.'`' (See illustration, page 29)

From www.fwhc.org
Throughout all cultures, the magic of creation resides in the blood women gave forth in apparent harmony with
the moon, and which sometimes stayed inside to create a baby. This blood was regarded with reverence: it had
mysterious magical powers, was inexplicably shed without pain, and was wholly foreign to male experience.
Early menstrual rites were perhaps the first expression of human culture.

_http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:aIDRtk8J3S0J:www.nroptions.org/curriculum/The_Culture_of_Menstruation.doc+%22dena+taylor%22+menstruation&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShxEvvgfj_XOLX7oe_Vcl0ZrwvcOqqC49Hgia6P31KkjnM-IJ4nSjngvvZgVouCbdR4_Hf-nNytO-H8rJ9zn2IWy582XSigtjP7Lzo2Fl57oSyvVyjV3Ew2BsXtSzLJIP869JX5&sig=AHIEtbSXg8UXpnM9vkP6Rf5Qty_4vwbI2Q

Another link:

Many of our “imbalances” come from not allowing our bodies to slow down. Rather than using our estrogen cycle, we are perpetually governed by another hormone, testosterone that like the pink “Ever-Ready Bunny” keeps going and going and going. Our society places a premium on time and production –hour after hour, day after day, week after week — well, you get the picture. Even a car gets a “15,000” mile tune up, a chance to let the engine cool, add some oil, and check out what might not be working properly. Once a month we need time to cool off; a chance to rest, nurture ourselves, and figure out what is not working in our lives. Many moons ago, Menstrual Huts provided women a sacred healing place to release, rest, rejuvenate and share with other women their deepest thoughts and concerns. We believe that ignoring this very important phase of the menstrual cycle is the root cause of health imbalance, stress, and the possible beginning of disease.

A key aspect of women’s cycles that has been lost today is the sacredness of bleeding. Blood has always been seen as something mysterious; only women were able to bring forth life from blood. In fact, men have historically been awed and afraid of menstruating women. Understanding that menstruation holds power, women elders of ancient societies undertook the responsibility of teaching young women about its influence and how to honor it. Traditions of separation during menses were instituted by women for women.

If we search deep within, we can find the remnants of desire for separation: time for reflection and time for bonding with other women. The inability to have separation during this special time leads to pervasive feelings of alienation and despair in our daily lives. There seems to be no appropriate time in our social structure for withdrawing into ourselves. If we do, we are often called “weak.”

Women who have ceased to menstruate still cycle with the same ebb and flow as menstruating women. Although hormones do not govern their cycles as strongly, their lives are influenced by a grander scheme, the lunar cycle. Menopausal women have learned to understand the wisdom of how the moon’s cycle reflects changes in their own lives: New Moon – New Beginnings, Full Moon – Creation, Waning Moon – Reflection.

This is the rhythm of life.

Botha and Cohen encourage women to explore the power of their own menstruation through connecting with other women on the same path. They both strongly agree with Sherill Sellman, author of Hormone Heresy: Oestrogen’s Deadly Truth that “…. tampering with a woman’s hormones is tampering with her power.”

_http://holyhormones.com/about-2/articles-by-leslie/the-natural-power-of-women-understanding-and-honoring-the-hormone-cycle/

So perhaps at some point, this was a time of quiet reflection for women that was welcomed?

truth seeker said:
So perhaps at some point, this was a time of quiet reflection for women that was welcomed?

this does sound great!

Diet would affect the lining of the endometrium via either too much too little hormones. The type of cravings during PMS may be indicative of ones hormonal state. Interesting that endometrium can also be affected by the seasons.

If there is inadequate stimulation of the lining, due to lack of hormones, the endometrium remains thin and inactive. In humans, this will result in amenorrhea. After menopause, the lining is often described as being atrophic. In contrast, endometrium that is chronically exposed to estrogens, but not to progesterone, may become hyperplastic. Long-term use of oral contraceptives with highly potent progesterone can also induce endometrial atrophy.

In humans, the cycle of building and shedding the endometrial lining lasts an average of 28 days. The endometrium develops at different rates in different mammals. Its formation is sometimes affected by seasons, climate, stress, and other factors. The endometrium itself produces certain hormones at different points along the cycle. This affects other portions of the reproductive system.

Whether menses in pre-agricultural women was seasonal or not, it makes sense that it is the time when feminine power was greater. It would mean the separation of groups menstruating women (through synchrony) or alone they were in a position to reflect and plan for the betterment of society. Many women, more ideas, concentrated power... It had to be turned into something negative because our positive affective states are greater during the menses compared to the pre-menstrual period per some neuropsych studies. This was the case for me as well.
If the followers of the dominating diety wanted power for themselves, whats better than to twist the positive affective states and subdue the feminine than to force an unnatural cycle and subsequent bleeding pattern through diet? Limiting the fat intake of females thus forcing them to eat more carbs resulted in cognitive and affective impairments, not to mention increased PMS symptoms. The the ritual uncleanliness taboos would make it worse. Studies have also shown that negative cultural views on menses are also associated the increased perception of PMS symptoms (pain, fogginess etc).

I'm still not sure that the 28 day cycle is normal and based on this thread it most likely is not. Either way in the dominant culture of today, female bleeding is reduced to a dysregulated physiological process to be controlled rather than a cyclic physiological process symbolic of the shedding of the goddess' blood that supports life.

Menses occur just between late luteal phase and early follicular phase, while the PMS symptoms occur during the late luteal phase.Women with PMS syndrome crave and consume more fats during the late luteal phase. I've also read that increased fat intake will change the duration of each phase. I think that would result in lengthened cycles for some, more regular or irregular for others or even light for normally heavy bleeders or heavier for normally light bleeders. In my case I used to be very irregular and it would last at most 4 days when I did get it. Birth control was suggested but I resisted. I got more regular after having my daughter to every six weeks or so. Either way the week before menses would be terrible emotionally, and physically up until the first day of flow. When I eliminated gluten, dairy and coffee before the paleo diet, it started coming earlier and earlier, lasting more than a week and was very heavy. I am hoping the slight decrease of this month continues, given the change in diet since late august.

I find it interesting that a few studies suggest either normal, enhanced or impaired cognition and affective states depending on menstrual phase the measures were taken. I am more sensitive to everything right before my period. Symptomatic PMS appears to be enhanced with a high carb diet and I think women probably craved fats during PMS because it is what their body needed only on a regular basis. For me the pre-menstrual cravings, fogginess, exhaustion and mood swings would lift after the first day of menses. In fact I often felt the urge to fast once the bleeding started.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18644678
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1438643
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15219656
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18413151

After reading those studies listed and looking at a few others, I started thinking about the fact that when we menstruate it is shedding what would have been the support for new life. The endometrial lining helps with the implantation of the blastocyte in the uterus and basically provides the materials for the placenta through which the fetus is nourished. In a way it symbolizes the goddess' who nourishes her children on earth, which of course brought me back to the last Cs session.

A: [..] When humankind "fell" into gross matter, a way was needed to return. This way simply is a manifestation of the natural laws. Consciousness must "eat" also. This is a natural function of the life giving nature of the environment in balance. The Earth is the Great Mother who gives her body, literally, in the form of creatures with a certain level of consciousness for the sustenance of her children of the cosmos. This is the original meaning of those sayings.

and

(Psyche) I want to ask something about ketosis. Why is it so healing for the brain? It's been useful for cases of epilepsy, but now they're finding uses for bipolar disorder and other psychiatric and neurological diseases.

A: It reflects a balance. That is, no gluttony, respect for the gifts of the goddess blood.

Q: (L) So it's as much a spiritual balance as physical

Traditions of separation during menses were instituted by women for women.

Yet it is also imposed by men in some religions, for another 'purpose':

Jewish laws and regulations concerning menstruating women are extremely restrictive. The Old Testament considers any menstruating woman as unclean and impure. Moreover, her impurity "infects" others as well. Anyone or anything she touches becomes unclean for a day: "When a woman has her regular flow of blood, the impurity of her monthly period will last seven days, and anyone who touches her will be unclean till evening. Anything she lies on during her period will be unclean, and anything she sits on will be unclean. Whoever touches her bed must wash his clothes and bathe with water, and he will be unclean till evening. Whoever touches anything she sits on must wash his clothes and bathe with water, and he will be unclean till evening. Whether it is the bed or anything she was sitting on, when anyone touches it, he will be unclean till evening" (Lev. 15:19-23).

Due to her "contaminating"; nature, a menstruating woman was sometimes "banished" in order to avoid any possibility of any contact with her. She was sent to a special house called "the house of uncleanness" for the whole period of her impurity. 9 The Talmud considers a menstruating woman "fatal" even without any physical contact: "Our Rabbis taught:....if a menstruant woman passes between two (men), if it is at the beginning of her menses she will slay one of them, and if it is at the end of her menses she will cause strife between them" (bPes. 111a.)

Furthermore, the husband of a menstruous woman was forbidden to enter the synagogue if he had been made unclean by her even by the dust under her feet. A priest whose wife, daughter, or mother was menstruating could not recite priestly blessing in the synagogue. 10 No wonder many Jewish women still refer to menstruation as "the curse." 11

Islam does not consider a menstruating woman to possess any kind of "contagious uncleanness". She is neither "untouchable" nor "cursed." She practises her normal life with only one restriction: A married couple are not allowed to have sexual intercourse during the period of menstruation. Any other physical contact between them is permissible. A menstruating woman is exempted from some rituals such as daily prayers and fasting during her period. - From _http://www.islamicity.com/mosque/w_islam/impur.htm

Mrs.Tigersoap said:
Traditions of separation during menses were instituted by women for women.

Yet it is also imposed by men in some religions, for another 'purpose':

Yep, that's why I wrote:

some cultures thoughts on seclusion around that time of the month

and followed up with:

I don't believe that one culture's way of viewing it ignores what happened in other cultures but think it's important to view it from as many perspectives as possible.

truth seeker said:

Clarissa Estés also mentions this in "Women who run with wolves" (a great book by the way). I was more familiar with the somewhat chauvinist stance of an unclean menstruating woman mentioned in the post by Mrs. Tigersoap, and was surprised when I read in Estés' book how traditional women used to cherish their menstruating periods as a time for quietude and for being with each other.

brainwave said:
(Psyche) I want to ask something about ketosis. Why is it so healing for the brain? It's been useful for cases of epilepsy, but now they're finding uses for bipolar disorder and other psychiatric and neurological diseases.

A: It reflects a balance. That is, no gluttony, respect for the gifts of the goddess blood.

Q: (L) So it's as much a spiritual balance as physical

The above reminds me of the following quote from Primal Body Primal Mind:

It makes sense that dietary protein in excess of what is needed for maintenance and repair would send a message that it might be a good time to reproduce or make more cells. It us well known that animals in the wild whose diets are restricted by reduced food availability also typically have fewer young or may even fail to reproduce in a particular year, depending upon the available energy supply. Protein availability seems to be the key limiting factor. What is less stimulating of reproductive processes, however, is ultimately more stimulating of individual regeneration, repair and enhanced mitochondrial function. This is where is gets interesting.

A recent study stated, "It has been shown that limiting dietary amino acids, specifically methionine, inhibits signaling through mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) thereby decreasing mitochondrial damage and protein translation" (Rosdale et al. 2009) The effect, in plain language is slowed aging an improved health.

[discussion of excess protein's role in cellular proliferation ie, reproduction, cancer etc.]

If, however, the dietary protein level stays below this threshold, ancient mechanisms kick in that are designed to help us outlive an apparent famine, which then shuts down cellular proliferation and up-regulates, instead, repair and regeneration. This process signals an effort to keep us healthy enough, long enough, so that our cells can reproduces another ay. Our energy is conserved through maintaining our own cellular repair instead of making new cells. That's what we want! We want just enough protein to meet the demands of our own repair, regeneration, and basic maintenance needs that can extend our own longevity, enhance our own health, and possibly even reverse signs of aging, but not so much that we up-regulate mTOR. And we want to keep insulin levels as low as possible.

I'm relating these two quotes through the word gluttony mentioned by the Cs. This makes me think again about that possible link between overabundance and overall excessive reproduction. A different mechanism kicks in, that of abusing the goddess, instead of feeding from her by taking only what is needed. The latter would be mirrored by what one "puts out in the world" so to say, that is: only enough children. The organism seems to be, also in this latter case, less busy with reproduction and can, therefore, work on more regenerative and healing functions.

Gertrudes said:
This makes me think again about that possible link between overabundance and overall excessive reproduction. A different mechanism kicks in, that of abusing the goddess, instead of feeding from her by taking only what is needed. The latter would be mirrored by what one "puts out in the world" so to say, that is: only enough children. The organism seems to be, also in this latter case, less busy with reproduction and can, therefore, work on more regenerative and healing functions.

Yes !
"instead of feeding from her by taking only what is needed" could be : "instead of feeding from her by accepting the gifts she is offering".

And again, this leads to the planned destruction of Love, and the huge difference between birth givers ("reproduction" robots) and life givers ("more regenerative and healing" human activities).

Danse la vie

Danse la vie said:
Yes !
"instead of feeding from her by taking only what is needed" could be : "instead of feeding from her by accepting the gifts she is offering".

And again, this leads to the planned destruction of Love, and the huge difference between birth givers ("reproduction" robots) and life givers ("more regenerative and healing" human activities).

Danse la vie

There also seems to be a connection with The Polyvagal Theory, although I can't explain well what I don't yet understand myself. The vagus nerve is intimately connected with digestion, "gut feelings," and social interaction. High vagal tone is associated with "repair and regeneration" and occurs when we feel "safe." I think there must be a link somewere between high vagal tone and the effects of the mTOR pathway. And between not feeling "safe" and many of the present problems of humanity -- other people who have finished The Polyvagal Theory seem to have alluded to this (and to the intrusion of psychopathy as a cause). I am still reading.

:flowers: Thank you TruthSeeker for bringing up one of the highest taboo subjects :)

[quote author=SolarMother]Yes, patriarchal reign and agriculture turns women into breeder slaves, out of touch with feminine Love, Beauty and Truth.[/quote]
:evil: Religion through society turn women against women by saying "Man is god and women is devil."
[Women] fight with each other over resources because there isn't enough for all.

I knew what it was when I started my cycle at 8 :O. In so much pain that I had to take two days off of school each month and take prescription pain medication. My cycles have always been 7 days and come like clock work, unless I'm stressed out or near other women then it came earlier. Yes, opposite of what I've read here, I get stressed and it comes.

Pain subsided after starting gluten free diet. Bloating and other symptoms got better but not totally gone. After gluten free, dairy free etc... (not full paleo yet) follows moon cycle and "waxing crescent" is when it starts. LOL now my friends start blaming me that I moved their periods around.

Started restricting carbs to 70g or less almost a month now and it was supposed to come 22nd Oct. Maybe it will come on the 29th Oct and I will be happy. On my birthday that's how the moon was and in some research said that if body is healthy that's when its supposed to come. Moon Calendar if you want to track your cycle by moon's cycle _http://www.moonconnection.com/moon-october-2011.phtml

:-[Personal history was going to delete it but maybe it will help a lady or two.
When I was 5, my mother with the help of a book ("de donde vienen los bebes?" written by two doctors and a group of children) had lots of diagrams, pictures of reproduction cycle, how our bodies work and no lies. Developed fast B cup at 10yrs, C at 11yrs which made me look like an 18 year old. Society and female nastiness I couldn't handle. Hating myself for being female, bleeding sealed the deal of what an evil thing I was (Genesis). It didn't matter that mom taught me everything in a logical and wonderful way, society and immediate family (grandma's) religious ways had made me hate myself.

Took me a long time to be ok with being female. Catalyst was when I got hounded by an xtian of why I didn't like his religion. Made him cry then gave me a book he had in book shelf lol "dance of the dissident daughter" by sue monk kid. I also bought "The Seven Sacred Rites of Menarche" and did lots of online research. Went from feeling awful about myself to feeling rage to feeling outrage and it's still a sore spot. Thank you again Truthseeker for posting good things about moon cycles.

My suggestion to all who have daughters, prepare them ahead of time and celebrate as mother/daughter the joy that life comes through us. Share biology and research, That we all start as females in the womb and that there are X0 girls. X is the dominant chromosome. There can't be 0Y babies only X0. Also for boys to know that its ok for them to cry, express their feelings and helping mom doesn't make him less of a man. Feeling despair seeing what girls & boys have to deal with today,
Help stop the cycle of emotional abuse by reading or re-reading...

the Narcissitic Family book
_http://www.amazon.com/Narcissistic-Family-Diagnosis-Treatment/dp/0787908703/

Drama of the gifted child
_http://www.amazon.com/Drama-Gifted-Child-Search-True/dp/0465012612/

Back
Top Bottom