Paleo Diet Cookbook

truth seeker

The Living Force
We are currently gathering recipes for the Paleo Cookbook. Since there have been minor changes (no rice or rice milk but wild rice is fine since it's a grass), I was wondering if as many of you as possible could share your favorite recipes. If you have already posted a recipe that you have updated or doesn't need updating, that's great as well and you can either repost it here or include the link to it. Many thanks! :)

So just as a reminder, no rice products. The safe cereals/foods are: quinoa, buckwheat, amarynth and wild rice.

Recipes must exclude inflammatory items such as peppers, potatoes, nuts, eggs, etc.

Here's an updated recipe for the "Oh My Chocolate Goodness Muffins"

Dry Ingredients:

2 cups Buckwheat Flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/8 tsp. Xanthan Gum
2 full tsp. Stevia (powdered)
1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
1/8 tsp. Ginger
1/8 tsp. Nutmeg
3 tbsp. Carob Powder
3 tbsp. Raw (organic) Cocoa Powder
1 & 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
2 full carrots, shredded
1 apple, finely chopped

Wet Ingredients:

1 cup Pure Olive Oil
1 cup milk substitute (whether you use almond or hemp milk) Coconut milk also works but don't use a full cup.
1 tsp. Raw Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup water, then add water as needed for consistency. Should be somewhat thick and not too runny.

Note: must add some water! I've made this and forgot to add water, and they come out really crumbly and NOT tasty...

One more note: these don't have to be muffins. You can make the batter a bit thicker and make some tasty cookies...

Mix wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls, then combine and mix well. Once you've poured the batter into the muffin cups, mix a small extra bowl of stevia, cinnamon and ginger (light on the ginger) and sprinkle it over the tops of the muffins. Bake 25 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and enjoy!

Here's one more that I've never posted, fwiw...

Stocky Soup Stock

Approx 2/3 gallons water
1 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp. raw vanilla
1/2 tsp. raw apple cider vinegar, or similar
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tbsp. sea salt
2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. dill
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. ground mustard
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. buckwheat flour
1 tbsp. milled flax seed
1 tbsp. amaranth

Mix all and bring to a rolling boil for about 15 minutes, then turn down and add whatever veggies you like, etc... Be sure to stir every couple minutes with a whisk, or some of the less soluble ingredients will collect on the surface...

abstract said:
The safe cereals/foods are: quinoa, buckwheat, amarynth and wild rice.

I suppose I missed the memo that brown rice is now excluded then?

That would include me as well. I know there was talk around here of lectins in rice but thought it
applied more to beans and legumes.

That would include me as well. I know there was talk around here of lectins in rice but thought it

That, and I was just starting to like the stuff. :lol:

abstract said:

That, and I was just starting to like the stuff. :lol:

Well I would say better than like in my case getting hooked on buckwheat to only discover that it doesn't
do your body good. Those buckwheat pancakes are truly the best. ~sigh~

Edit: Here's the appropriate lectins thread: Lectins - a defense mechanism of plants

Buckwheat bastible soda bread
Ingredients
450g (2 1/2 Cup) Buckwheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 1/2tsp cream of tartar
1 1/2tbsp ghee, or butter
400ml (1 1/2Cup) water

Mix the flour in a large plastic food bag with the salt, bicarbonate of soda and cream of tartar, and thoroughly mix by tossing around the dry mix in the bag.
Empty the flour mix into a large mixing bowl.
Cut up the ghee or butter into small pieces and sprinkle into the flour, knead into the flour using your hands, raising the flour into the air as you do so (to aerate the mix), until the butter appears to disappear in size, attempt to get as much flour involved in this process as possible.
Pour in the water in three stages, stirring each one using a wooden spoon and allowing plenty of time for the water to be incorporated into the flour – get as much ‘powdered’ flour as possible coated with water.
The result is a batter that is at the stiffer end of a sloppy mix, certainly not a dough.
Allow the batter to rest whilst the oven heats up (this aids incorporation, the stickiness of the buckwheat to activate, and aeration).

Place a greased and lined 8in (cm) round cake tin inside a 9.5in (24cm) casserole in the oven and preheat at 230C/450F/Gas Mk 8

Take the casserole out of the oven and pour the mix into the hot casserole, encouraging it out with the spoon, and put the casserole lid put on, place the casserole back in the oven and bake for 40mins, or until a skewer comes out clean (check the mid third of the bread especially carefully).

Carefully remove the bread from the cake tin, place on a wire cooling rack and cover with a tea towel (for a soft crust), or leave uncovered (for a harder, crisp crust), until cold, and then slice.

The result is a soft and springy bread with an open texture. The sloppy dough leads to an open, chewy crumb. The use of butter has a small effect on the keeping quality, but increases gas retention, hence volume.

As with all Gluten-Free breads, tit is best eaten on the first day, or sliced and frozen. However, the bread is edible on both a second and third day, although progressively ‘stiffening up’.

You can use the casserole on its own, it produces a flatter bread, almost like a pan fried flatbread, and takes only 35mins to bake. Adding more water for a sloppier batter allows for a smoother surface, but it will take longer to cook.

As I usually added egg in my previous Gluten Free breads, I decided to see what effect adding an egg substitute would produce. To my surprise it produced the best tasting soda bread that I’ve made to date.

Buckwheat and ground flaxseed bastible soda bread
Ingredients
450g (2 1/2 Cup) Buckwheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 1/2tsp cream of tartar
1 1/2tbsp ghee, or butter
I tbsp ground flaxseed and 3 tbsp boiling water
450ml (2 Cup) water

Mix the flour in a large plastic food bag with the salt, bicarbonate of soda and cream of tartar, and thoroughly mix by tossing around the dry mix in the bag.
Empty the flour mix into a large mixing bowl.
Cut up the ghee or butter into small pieces and sprinkle into the flour, knead into the flour using your hands, raising the flour into the air as you do so (to aerate the mix), until the butter appears to disappear in size, attempt to get as much flour involved in this process as possible.
Place the ground flaxseed in a small mixing bowl; pour over the boiling water and mix, using a fork, to a ‘lightly beaten egg like ’consistency.
Add to the flour mix and incorporate using a wooden spoon, getting as much flour involved as possible.
Pour in the water in three stages, stirring each one and allowing plenty of time for the water to be incorporated into the flour – get as much ‘powdered’ flour as possible coated with water.
The result is a batter that is at the stiffer end of a sloppy mix, certainly not a dough.
Allow the batter to rest whilst the oven heats up (this aids incorporation, the stickiness of the buckwheat to activate, and aeration).

Place a greased and lined 8in (cm) round cake tin inside a 9.5in (24cm) casserole in the oven and preheat at 230C/450F/Gas Mk 8

Take the casserole out of the oven and pour the mix into the hot casserole, encouraging it out with the spoon, and put the casserole lid back on, place casserole in the oven and bake for 60mins, or until a skewer comes out clean (check the mid third of the bread especially carefully).

Carefully remove the bread from the cake tin, place on a wire cooling rack and cover with a tea towel (for a soft crust), or leave uncovered (for a harder, crisp crust), until cold, and then slice.

The result is a soft, moist and springy bread with an open texture. The sloppy dough leads to an open, chewy crumb. The use of butter has a small effect on the keeping quality, but increases gas retention, hence volume.

As with all Gluten-Free breads, it is best eaten on the first day, or sliced and frozen. However, the breads was edible on both a second and third day, although progressively ‘stiffening up’.

You can use the casserole on its own, it produces a flatter bread, almost like a pan fried flatbread, and takes only 55mins to bake. Adding more water for a sloppier batter allows for a smoother surface, but it will take longer to cook.

These recipes look really good! Can't wait to try them. :)

Here's a simple favorite of mine (probably very common, but great with some meat and veggies!):

Roasted Winter Squash

- 1/2 squash per person (or 1 sweet potato per person, if you have no problem with them)
- 1 heaping spoonful of butter or ghee, or to taste
- 1 pinch of sea salt, or to taste
- spices (cinammon, nutmeg, allspice, etc.) of your choice (optional)

Wrap each half of a squash in foil (after scraping the seeds out) and bake at 400 F for 1.5 hours, or until soft. Mix and mash the other ingredients, and enjoy. If you don't have an oven, I think it would work just as well to steam them.

If you want to be authentic, though, I guess you could wrap them in damp moss and smoke them over the fire. Haven't tried it myself, though!

:D Paleo Fruit Sorbet

1 cups of frozen strawberries
1 Frozen Mango
1/2 cups of Goji Berries

Put all ingredients in a food processor and mix well, the put in a glass recipient and put some pressure (for any extra air bubble in the mix to go) on top and freeze for 3 hours, I've also tried pineapple, Lucuma and Watermelon, but honestly the results where not so good, with strawberries and mango you get a delicious soft sorbet.

EDU

Back
Top Bottom