Pumpkin's seeds milk

Jacques

SuperModerator
FOTCM Member
I have made all kind of milks such a rice, oath, quinoa, almonds, hemp, millet and so far the best one, the tastiest, the softer is the pumpkin's seeds milk. Since you ca not find it in stores, you have to make it.

Here's the recipe:

1 liter of water
55 grams of pumpkin's seeds
1/4 tea spoon of himalayan salt (pink)
A little pinch of stevia or 1/4 to 1 table spoon of xylitol (optional)

Optional: Put the pumpkin's seeds in a bowl of water for 4 to 8 hours. When done, strain them.

Put the seeds in a blender with the other components and mix at max speed for 3 minutes. When done, filter the liquid and keep only the milk.

This milk can be kept no more than 4 days since it is a raw milk.

Can't wait to try this! Much cheaper than almond milk...and pumpkins are so plentiful in the fall and through spring.

Squash is so tasty...especially pumpkin, steamed or baked with a little ghee, organic butter and salt. (Have sprinkled cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and xylitol on a pumpkin wedge for a real treat!) There's always way more pumpkin seeds than I can roast, salt and eat, so this sounds like a good use.

Thanks, Gandalf!

Thank you Gandalf, this is really refreshing recipe, after months of brown rice milk :-[ this sounds great.

NormaRegula said:
Can't wait to try this! Much cheaper than almond milk...and pumpkins are so plentiful in the fall and through spring.

Squash is so tasty...especially pumpkin, steamed or baked with a little ghee, organic butter and salt. (Have sprinkled cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and xylitol on a pumpkin wedge for a real treat!) There's always way more pumpkin seeds than I can roast, salt and eat, so this sounds like a good use.

Thanks, Gandalf!

Agree :), and my favorite pumpkin cream soup with roasted pumpkin seeds :)

Ingredients for pumpkin soup

* 3 tablespoons ghee or butter
* 3 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 chopped onion
* 0,5 litres vegetable soup (any kind)
* 0,5 kg of pumpkin puree
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 1 cup of cream or almond milk

Cut onion and fry it on virgin olive oil, add pumpkin puree and the rest of ingredients, a bit of parsley on the end and ginger, and when cooled down add a bit of cream or almond milk and seeds in the soup

Bon Appétit :)

Attachments

• pumkin soup.jpg
    pumkin soup.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 215
Thanks for the tip, Gandalf. I've tried making pumpkin seed milk a few times now, still working out the details to get the right thickness of the milk.

I'm currently staying away from rice for some time and before this I've experimented with hemp seed milk but that has quite a strong taste whereas the pumpkin milk is definitely mellow.

Thanks Gandalf, this one looks interesting. I'm going to give it a try.

Well I've just been staring at my pumpkin for a few minutes wondering what to do with these seeds. :)
Do you take the seeds out of the shell first? If not do you roast them?

Thanks, Jeff.

JP said:
Well I've just been staring at my pumpkin for a few minutes wondering what to do with these seeds. :)
Do you take the seeds out of the shell first? If not do you roast them?

Thanks, Jeff.

No you do not roast them and you don't have to take out the shell neither.

Ok thanks. Usually I just throw them out so I'm looking forward to making milk out of it.

Gandalf said:

You mean seeds right out of a raw pumpkin? Since I don't grow pumpkins, I usually get the organic pepitas from WholeFoods or a natural grocery store, they're like $5 for a small package.

Mrs. Peel said:
Gandalf said:

You mean seeds right out of a raw pumpkin? Since I don't grow pumpkins, I usually get the organic pepitas from WholeFoods or a natural grocery store, they're like $5 for a small package.

I have just learnt that the seeds that I bought have the shelves taken out. :-[

So, the seeds are not taken right out of a raw pumpkin, The seeds have to be decorticated.

If you buy your seeds from a natural grocery store, that should be fine.

Could this be done with shelled seeds if the mixture was strained well afterward? I don't see why not, but I'm asking just in case. I've got some squash seeds I want to use, but the less preparation, the better.

It`s probably best to get the organic Pepita's since they work so well.

Just be sure to soak them for several hours then strain out the water.

If anyone knows where to get organic Pepita's in bulk, that is, 5 pounds or more please let me know.

Pumpkin milk is the very best of the alternative milks I have tried yet, it fact it`s all I want to use now, I love the stuff and the kids do too . It`s even awesome by the glassful with your homemade breads and cookies or where ever you would normally use milk. It`s very rich and creamy with just a hint of "green" taste.

Many thanks to Gandalf for recommending this one, it is the best of the "green milks" by far!

Meager1 said:
Many thanks to Gandalf for recommending this one, it is the best of the "green milks" by far!

Same thing for me, it is one of the best. I would say that I love it as much as i love hemp milk.

Back
Top Bottom