Paleo Diet Cookbook

I have not tried this yet, but it sounds so good that I will soon!

WARM QUINOA PROTEIN SHAKE

Prep time: 10 minutes, Serves two 12 oz glasses

1/2 cup rinsed Quinoa
1 cup water

1 Granny Smith apple
2 Tbsp. honey
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 cups milk of your choice ( homemade pumpkin seed milk would be a good choice )

Preheat oven to 300°.
Rinse and cook quinoa until done. Set aside.
Peel and core apple, and cut into quarters. Place in small baking dish with honey and cinnamon.
Bake for 10 minutes, until ingredients are well blended. Place cooked quinoa, baked apple mixture, and milk in blender. Blend for about 1 minute at top speed or until smooth. Serve while still warm.

Quinoa Milk

1/2 cup white quinoa
filtered water, as needed
1 pinch salt

Place the uncooked quinoa in a fine-mesh seive and wash, wash, wash it. Why?
Quinoa seeds have a bitter coating called saponin that you want to wash off.

Put the washed quinoa into a glass container with a lid. Cover the seeds with water, put the lid on it, pop it in the fridge overnight.

The next morning, pour the soaked quinoa into a seive and wash it again.
Put the quinoa into a pot with 2 cups fresh water (not the water it soaked in) and a pinch of salt.
Bring it to a boil, covered. Turn the heat down and simmer the quinoa (covered) until all the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
place the cooked quinoa in a blender with 2 more cups of water. Blend on high for 1 minute, then add water until the milk reaches your desired consistency. You would add any desired sweeteners and flavorings at this point.

Strain the quinoa milk through a fine cheesecloth (a clean napkin will do) into a bowl.
Note that, even with the straining, there will still be flecks of quinoa in the milk. These will settle out later, so don't worry. Pour the quinoa milk into a clean quart-size jar, and stick it in thew fridge to cool.
Note that the milk may seperate a little. This is okay. Just give it a little stir.
The milk will keep about a week in the fridge.

Check out the Potassium Magnesium in this milk

Serving Size: 1 (21 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Calories 79.4

Calories from Fat 11
13%
Total Fat 1.2 g
1%
Saturated Fat 0.1 g
0%
Monounsaturated Fat 0.3 g
1%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5 g
2%
Trans Fat 0.0 g
0%
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
0%
Sodium 43.2 mg
1%
Potassium 157.2 mg
4%
Magnesium 44.6 mg
1%
Total Carbohydrate 14.6 g
4%
Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
5%
Sugars 0.0 g
0%
Protein 2.7 g
5%

Just tried it and found that "plain" quinoa milk is greatly improved by adding a little honey and nutmeg!

Buckwheat Pizza

Pizza base - The base is made by combining equal parts butternut pumpkin with buckwheat. Chop the pumpkin into slices and place in the oven on a medium heat for five to ten minutes until the pumpkin just starts to become soft. Mash the pumpkin in a bowl and add a pinch of salt and a spoonful of grapeseed oil. Slowly stir in the buckwheat until the mixture is dry enough to roll.

Roll out the dough to a size and thickness of your choosing. Place the pizza base in the oven for about five minutes until the base starts to become firm.

Topping - Add tomato paste and any other toppings you want on your pizza. I prefer olives, fresh or sundried tomatoes, spring onion, mushrooms, chopped garlic, etc.

Place pizza in the oven for another five or ten minutes.

Feel free to add any fresh herbs to the pizza once it is cooked such as chopped coriander, basil or sage leaves.

JP said:
Topping - Add tomato paste and any other toppings you want on your pizza. I prefer olives, fresh or sundried tomatoes, spring onion, mushrooms, chopped garlic, etc.

JP, I pretty sure that tomatoes are nightshades, and as such they aren't used in a healthy diet since they lead to inflammation.

I wondered about that, so I stopped eating them for a month. Then I had some and sure enough, my finger started hurting. Same for jalepenos. Bummer!

m said:
JP said:

JP, I pretty sure that tomatoes are nightshades, and as such they aren't used in a healthy diet since they lead to inflammation.

I wondered about that, so I stopped eating them for a month. Then I had some and sure enough, my finger started hurting. Same for jalepenos. Bummer!

Indeed, tomatoes are nightshades but it is not everyone who have inflamatory problems in eating them.

You have to test it and see how your body reacts.

Gandalf said:
Indeed, tomatoes are nightshades but it is not everyone who have inflamatory problems in eating them.

My understanding (and maybe I'm wrong) is that there might be undetectable effects - for example, slight brain swelling that can't be felt directly. As a case in point, I don't feel any effects of eating dairy, but there's no doubt that the caseine is doing what it does nevertheless.

Gandalf said:

The other day, the missus was cutting some tomatoes and she cut a slice off and threw it in the garden. These tomatoes were bought from the local grocery store. Well first thing I noticed is that the birds didn't touch it! :huh: And after almost a week, laying there in the garden, it still looked nice and quite fresh although a bit dry. Needless to say, I've stopped eating them.

m said:
Gandalf said:

My understanding (and maybe I'm wrong) is that there might be undetectable effects - for example, slight brain swelling that can't be felt directly. As a case in point, I don't feel any effects of eating dairy, but there's no doubt that the caseine is doing what it does nevertheless.

I might be way out since i am not an expert but I am not sure if we can compare the two products since you have casein in diary products and you have nothing similar in the nightshades. And I think that if someone is allergic to nightshade, the result are felt quite rapidly.

I agree with the fact that someone might not be allergic to casein or gluten but the main fact is that it is not good for our health for so many reasons.

fwiw

Gandalf said:
I might be way out since i am not an expert but I am not sure if we can compare the two products since you have casein in diary products and you have nothing similar in the nightshades. And I think that if someone is allergic to nightshade, the result are felt quite rapidly.

This is my general understanding too -- that gluten and casein are bad across-the-board, but that nightshades are much more person-specific.

Hmm tomatos out too... I'm not sure where that leaves my pizza. I wonder if you could use pesto instead of tomato paste but that might taste a bit wierd.

I haven't tried cutting nightshades out of my diet yet to see if I notice any difference. That's something I'll have to try sometime soon.

Jonathan said:
Here's one more that I've never posted, fwiw...

Stocky Soup Stock

Approx 2/3 gallons water
1 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp. raw vanilla
1/2 tsp. raw apple cider vinegar, or similar
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 tbsp. sea salt
2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. dill
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. ground mustard
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. buckwheat flour
1 tbsp. milled flax seed
1 tbsp. amaranth

Mix all and bring to a rolling boil for about 15 minutes, then turn down and add whatever veggies you like, etc... Be sure to stir every couple minutes with a whisk, or some of the less soluble ingredients will collect on the surface...

I just made this and it's very good. I put in 3 beets, 6 carrots, a head of celery, some onion, 1 summer squash, 1 zucchini, package of frozen peas, frozen green beans, and a sweet potato. I didn't put in the amaranth,xanthan gum or apple cider because I didn't have it on hand. I also added a little more salt. Simmered for a several hours. It has a really nice flavor. Thanks for the recipe. Slurp!

soup003-1.jpg

Hi All,

Beet Soup

3 large beets
6 carrots
6 celery stalks
salt
pepper
garlic powder
water

I use a pressure cooker, but not necessary if you don't have one.

Pressure cook beets 20 min., peel off skin - cut up. Pressure cook separately carrots and celery 5 min. and add all to a food processor. Throw all into a big pot and add water until consistency that you like. Add salt, pepper and garlic to taste. (not to much pepper - learned the hard way once :shock:)

Makes roughly a 2 quarts of soup.

209j1vq.jpg

Added quinoa, butter or both.

EGVG said:
:D Paleo Fruit Sorbet

1 cups of frozen strawberries
1 Frozen Mango
1/2 cups of Goji Berries

Put all ingredients in a food processor and mix well, the put in a glass recipient and put some pressure (for any extra air bubble in the mix to go) on top and freeze for 3 hours, I've also tried pineapple, Lucuma and Watermelon, but honestly the results where not so good, with strawberries and mango you get a delicious soft sorbet.

EDU

I've been re-reading this thread and noticed the goji berries. They are nightshades so careful with them.

Here's more http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=19192.msg185288#msg185288

Back
Top Bottom