Omega 3 Fatty Acids

This is what Maria Emmerich, author of Keto-Adapted, wrote about Omega 3 on her blog of 2 October last:

Omega-3’s are Poly Unsaturated Fatty Acids (PUFA’s) and become oxidized easily. Oxidation causes inflammation in the body which is the source of many health issues. Through a lot of research I have come to the conclusion (and this is new and going to be a big shift in the health community) that the PUFAs EPA and even more so DHA are oxidized at room temperature and in the body. So in supplement form, there is a lot of oxidation prior do ingestion (and after) which causes inflammation. HERE is one of many sources for this data.

The best way to think about this is that PUFA’s are very unstable and are easily oxidized by heat, sunlight, in the body, etc. So this means that when you consume them you want to get the freshest possible source, cook it as little as needed (raw is best) and only get what your body needs. If you eat excessive amounts, the extra will be in your body longer exposing it to more oxidative damage which causes more inflammation. This is why I no longer recommend fish oil supplements. There is too much oxidation occurring prior to ingestion and the high doses result in more oxidation in the body.

So how do we determine how much Omega-3 we need in our diets from food sources? It depends on how much omega-6 we are consuming. As you may know the standard American diet is way too high in omega-6 oils (vegetable oils, soybean oils, corn oils, margarines, etc) and not high enough in omega-3’s. We want to have about a 1:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 but most Americans today get 20:1 or even 40:1. So the typical American diet has (based on 2,000 calories a day) 9% of calories coming from omega-6. To match this with omega-3s you would have to increase your omega-3 intake to about 11 ounces of oily fish a day!

But the body doesn’t really need that much omega-3 and 6 and as stated above, the extra becomes oxidized. So a much better strategy is to greatly lower your omega-6 intake and then match it with omega-3. If you follow my blog and this lifestyle, you are going well with this already. Eliminating processed foods, fast foods cooked in vegetable oils, corn oils and soybean oils. So if you limit this to just the sources is a lifestyle like I advocate you are looking at an omega-6 intake much closer to 2% of calories. To match this with omega-3 you would need to eat about 4 ounces or oily fish 2 times a week. This will give your body more than enough omega-3 and 6 than it needs and keep your consumption of PUFA’s low so there is as little oxidation as possible. In reality, you don’t even need that much fish as there are many sources of omega-3 already in your diet (discussed below). Meats, eggs, avocados, herbs and spices.
Four big takeaways:

1. Ditch the omega-3 supplements (Krill oil, Fish oil, Cod liver oil, etc). You can easily get enough omega-3 from food sources. More is not better as your body needs very little for proper function and any extra will be oxidized and cause inflammation.

2. Keep omega-6 intake as low as possible. Shoot for 2% of calories or less.

3. Match omega-6 with omega-3 from very fresh, lightly cooked (raw is best) foods. In this case about two 4 ounce serving of oily fish a week (about 6000mg of omega-3 a week).

4. Get your fats from stable sources high in Saturated Fatty Acids (SFAs). With this lifestyle fat is your fuel and you want to most stable, most readily available source of fuel and that is SFAs.
Good Fats

Saturated fats like coconut oil, butter, ghee, tallow and lard are protective against oxidation and inflammation and have many other important health benefits. Remember that when keto adapted, fat is your fuel source. You need lots of healthy fats to burn as fuel. But you want them to be stable fats (not unstable PUFA oils) so look for the highest in Saturated fats (SFA). When it comes to looking for oils to include in this high fat lifestyle, the higher the stable saturated fat content the better. Here are the best oils:

Coconut oil: 1.9% PUFA (92% saturated fatty acids (SFA)
Palm kernel oil: 2% PUFA, (82% SFA)
Cocoa Butter: 3% PUFA (60% SFA)
Beef Tallow: 3.1% PUFA (49.8% SFA)
Ghee: 4% PUFA (48% SFA)
Butter: 3.4% PUFA (50% SFA)
Lard: 12% PUFA (with 41% SFA)
Duck fat: 13% PUFA (with 25% SFA)
Macadamia oil: 10% PUFA (15% SFA)
Avocado oil: 10% PUFA (11% SFA)
High Oleic Sunflower oil: 9% PUFA (8% SFA)
Hazelnut Oil: 14% PUFA (with 10% SFA)
Almond oil: 17% PUFA (with 8.2% SFA)
Olive oil: 9.9% PUFA (with 14% saturated fat) (although this one should never be used for cooking which will cause oxidation. So only use in dressings, etc.)

Bad Fats

There are two kinds of fats that should be avoided. The most inflammatory fat is Trans Fatty Acids (transfat). Transfats are one of the worst substances we can consume for our overall health. There are many studies that show the heart disease and cancer risks of transfat (source, source, and many more for cancer,source and source). Here is a list of transfats to avoid at all cost:

Margarine
Vegetable Shortening
Ingredients that list Hydrogenated (fully or partially) Oils

Poly Unsaturated Fatty Acids (PUFA’s) are should also be limited as they are easily oxidated. There are many PUFA oils and here is a short list:

Grapeseed oil: 70.6% PUFA
Sunflower oil: 68% PUFA
Flax oil: 66% PUFA
Safflower oil: 65% PUFA
Soybean Oil: 58% PUFA
Corn oil: 54.6% PUFA
Walnut oil: 53.9% PUFA
Cottonseed oil: 52.4% PUFA
Vegetable oil (soybean oil): 51.4% PUFA
Sesame oil: 42% PUFA
Peanut oil: 33.4% PUFA
Canola oil: 19% PUFA

What has happened over the last 100 years is a huge increase in PUFA consumption and a reduction in other good fats (like saturated fat). Here is a chart showing the increase in PUFA consumption in the US.
u_s_pufa_consumption,_1909-2005
So stick with what the most stable fuel source for our body (Saturated fats) and limit the PUFA consumption.

_http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/omega-3-supplement-oxidation/

I am no expert, not by a long shot, so others may wish to chime in. :)

I also come across this information regarding fermented fish oil:

Why We Stopped Taking Fermented Cod Liver Oil

{Skipped}

Fast forward a few years to 2009, when I was beginning my second pregnancy. I heard that the Blue Ice cod liver oil was no longer being produced, so we stockpiled about a dozen bottles. I started hearing about a new Blue Ice cod liver oil that would be even better because it was fermented. We regularly eat fermented foods, so fermented cod liver sounded fine. I ordered a bottle, thinking that I wanted to get the best nutrition for the baby growing inside me. When the new fermented cod liver oil arrived, I was surprised to see that it was very thick, very dark, and had a very foul odor. I went ahead and tried one dose; it was absolutely disgusting! It burned my throat, and it didn't help that I was already nauseous from pregnancy. After that one dose, even the smell of the fermented cod liver oil would turn my stomach. I was glad we had stockpiled lots of the non-fermented cod liver oil to last through my pregnancy. [...]

Different Methods for Making Cod Liver Oil

About 8 months ago, while collaborating with a man named Archie Welch on another project, I learned that he was doing research into cod liver oil, after having problems getting his son to take the fermented cod liver oil. And what Archie learned was that there were traditionally several different ways to make cod liver oil. One ancient method used no heat, chemicals, or pressure to extract the oil, resulting in an oil with almost no flavor or odor. Another method used by Nordic fishermen, the livers were steamed, resulting in a pale cod liver oil with a light smell. In another later method, the livers were fermented in a barrel, resulting in a dark brown, strong smelling oil. This dark brown cod liver oil was likely to contain bits of rancid and putrefying livers, which contributed to its strong odor and flavor.

[...]

Will we ever take cod liver oil again?

We don't plan to take fermented cod liver oil again. However, I would like to have some light-colored cod liver oil on hand just in case (since it has worked so wonderfully for us in the past in helping us quickly get over illnesses). There hasn't been a traditionally prepared light cod liver oil on the market in the United States since production of the original Blue Ice cod liver oil was stopped years ago. But, after doing all of his research into cod liver oil, Archie Welch was able to find small company in Norway who was using the ancient extraction method with no heat, chemicals, or pressure to make ratfish liver oil. As a result of Archie's prompting, this small company is now using the same method to make raw cod liver oil. Archie is finishing up the process of making that cod liver oil available here in the United States and he will be selling that light cod liver oil at http://www.corganic.com/evclo/#5550deb65fe8c in February 2013. We will definitely be buying some of the raw cod liver oil, and will be happy to once again have the lightly flavored, lightly colored oil to take just as we did years ago.

From: http://nourishedandnurtured.blogspot.com.es/2013/01/why-we-stopped-taking-fermented-cod.html

Reactions: ELT
Came across something when redirected from Dr. Mercola whereby he featured Dr. Robert Rowen on the subject of Oxidative Medicine https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/10/14/dr-rowen-oxidative-medicine.aspx over to his website whereby the subject of fish oil came up. I was surprised by the article whereby he uses the comparison of fluoride by product waste and fish oil waste. Something seems wrong or it is part of the oxidative issues that accompanies fish oil and many sell fish oil (Rowan seems to have a product and yet so does Mercola - Krill oil maybe). Rowan has this video on SoTT - Robert Rowen MD: Monsanto Has Released the Greatest Environmental Plague Ever dealing with glyphosate.

It takes half way into the article to realize that Rowan is a vegan, yet for spiritual reasons, he says, and he does acknowledge the French Paradox while looking at other cultures (even Okinawa where fish is a staple) - he discusses Norwegian incidents of high skin melanoma etc. At one point Rowan seems to point at saturated fats while also pointing out their worth. Rowan certainly looks at PUFA's in other oils including heating issues. I certainly don't know enough about this fish oil subject - as generality I'm not big on fish and can't stomach fish oil supplements even though I eat and like wild salmon, sardines and had cod liver tablespoons when growing up. Rowan adds in discussions on cardiovascular heath and fish oil, and this might be a misdirect, so not sure, and have to admit my programs have been based on always hearing fish oil is good; not the Omega 3's. Some of what he is talking about may fit here and some may not.

http://www.docrowen.com/essential-fatty-acids.html

I've not read his book PEO.

Fish and Marine Oil Toxicity- A summary of major problems by Dr. Rowen

Is fish oil the new fluoride? “What!?” you ask. “How can you relate a food product to a toxic mineral?” If you’re familiar with a book I recently co-authored, you know that I can, and I’ll summarize it all here for you. I know you’ve likely been told to take fish oil by some health care provider. So, this report has a lot of importance for you. It can save you and your loved ones’ life!

Let’s begin with the basics. Both fluoride and fish oil are waste products of their respective industries. Fluoride comes as a waste material from the fertilizer and aluminum industries. Fish oil is a waste product of the fish industry. The manufacturers found a way to make each waste product into a “must have”. Just like fluoride has become a fable for children’s teeth ¾marine oil has become a fabled “must have” for circulation and overall health. With both substances being waste products, and both now etched into medical lore, and you knowing that fluoride is toxic, all I need to show you is the danger and ineffectiveness of marine oil as well to declare that it’s “the new fluoride.”

Fluoride is generated from the fertilizer and aluminum industry. One important component of fertilizer is phosphorus. Unfortunately, its raw ore contains 2-4% fluoride. The fluoride is removed through scrubbers and acid leaching forming the extremely toxic fluorsilicic acid as waste. In the case of aluminum, the extraction process to pull aluminum from the ore involves releasing a lot of waste fluoride. So, please know that these two industries have a major problem. They are refining out one of the most toxic substances on the planet. Fluoride is a known enzyme poison. Even if it were effective, its margin of safety is exceptionally tiny. I know you’ve read about fluoride. I’ll give you some most interesting updated information in a future issue on its relation to Alzheimer’s disease.

What’ s the solution for the industries holding the fluoride waste? Brainwashing with horrible pseudo “science”¾both citizens and public officials¾ into believing that fluoride is a safe and necessary “nutrient.” This way, instead of morally and ethically bearing the heavy cost of disposing of it (how do you really dispose of a poison?) the companies make money be bilking cities at your expense to dump it into your water. What a gas. Instead of paying royally to safely dispose of a toxin, the companies get paid royally to “feed” the poison directly to you. Likewise, so do the purveyors of marine oil.

I lump the whole group of oils from the ocean into the term “marine oil.” These include oils from salmon, mackerel, cod, krill, and any oily see creature generally from colder climates. Only one version of marine oil comes form plant life and it’s found in the product called Neuromins, extracted from algae, a rich source of DHA. Otherwise, all marine oils are extracted from waste products of the fishing industry. “Waste? You mean like fluoride?” Yes. “How is that?”

The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the UN admits that the raw material used in the preparation of fish oil have little edible value.

The original three categories have similarities; the fish are of little edible use or the raw material is a waste and of no edible value and in fact may present a potential disposal problem and the raw material contains a high percentage of oil and or bones.

The latter two categories, by catch and offal [internal organs and entrails] produce small volumes of oil compared to the volume produced from whole fish because the traditionally edible species are primarily non-fatty and generally classified as "white fish.” However salmon and tuna for example do contain oil in the heads [emphasis added] and these are processed to provide fish oil.

OK, so we know that fluoride and fish oil are waste products, and that fluoride is a toxin. But fish oil? Toxic? Let’s examine the evidence and the logic.

First, fish oil is NOT the essential fatty acids you hear about. There are only two real essential fatty acids: omega 6 (linoleic acid) and omega 3 (alpha-linolenic acid). My fatty acid mentor / leading expert in the field and co-author Prof. Brian Peskin* terms them “Parent Essential Oils”¾PEOs.

All you really need are these two fatty acids and your body can make the rest of the omega 3 and 6 series, called the derivatives. Hence, the derivatives are not essential. Only the parents are essential. These oils come strictly from plants. Enzymes in your body further elongate the 18-carbon chain PEOs into 20 and 22 carbon chain and more unsaturated DERIVATIVES as needed on demand, which derivatives I will call LCPUFAs for long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids.

Marine oil contains significant LCPUFAs¾EPA and DHA ¾its so-called “active ingredients.” EPA is 20 carbons long with 5 unsaturated bonds. DHA is 22 carbons long with 6 unsaturated bonds. Why might cold-water fish be loaded with these? Because such unsaturated oils are very liquid at cold temperatures, enabling the cell membranes of the fish to have flexibility and function in frigid waters. They act like “anti-freeze” for fish. Humans don’t require this.

Now consider something else. Those waters are real cold and have low oxygen tension. At room temperature and in our oxygen rich environment, we know that the fish oils quickly become rancid. Just smell a 2-day dead fish (even just one day can be tough if not refrigerated). These oils are extremely vulnerable to oxidation (rancidity). In fact, DHA, with is 6 double bonds, is a whopping 340 more times susceptible to oxidation/rancidity than monounsaturated oleic acid from olive oil. The oils in a fish oil capsule start to autooxidize (rancidity) instantly in your body. Why? Because, unlike a salmon, which lives at about 34°F, your body is about 98°F and is oxygen rich. Heat and oxygen don’t mix well with the highly vulnerable marine oils.

But the pundits tell you that you have a God made defect in that your body only converts 1% of the two essential fatty acids you ingest. They call this “slow.” So, to correct the God made error in you, they’ll have you load yourself with the derivatives. WRONG, wrong, wrong…

I have a much different philosophy than the pundits. First, I don’t believe that God makes mistakes. If human conversion of EFAs into derivatives is only 1%, it has to be for a reason. And, it sure is.

Your body only needs so much conversion of anything. For example, your body converts cholesterol you eat into sex hormones like estrogen and testosterone. These are “derivatives” of cholesterol. Ladies, do you want to be taking masculinizing testosterone simply as a supplement? Men, do you want to grow breasts with supplemental estrogen? Of course not. Ladies and gentlemen, do you want to be stuffing omega 3 rancidity susceptible oils into your skin when virtually no omega 3 oils belong there due to the oxidizing (burning) action of sunlight? Do you want to be stuffing in highly oxygen vulnerable omega 3 derivatives into your mitochondria (cell furnaces) where combustion will immediately oxidize those oils and age your energy furnaces?

Mitochondria, like skin, have little or no omega 3 oils due to such vulnerability. For this reason—your body made by God—carefully controls its conversion of PEOs to the highly vulnerable fatty acids to about 1%. When you take supplemental marine oils, you overcome the protection God gave you. Normally recommended amounts of fish oil often equate to taking pharmacological (overdose) amounts of highly reactive compounds your body needs sparingly. Your skin and highly vulnerable energy furnaces become susceptible to irreversible damage. I don’t believe that God made mistakes, so I fervently disagree with the pundits that our conversion rate is “slow.” I believe, as Prof. Peskin does too, it was created deliberately in the wisdom of our Creator, and our efforts to overcome that wisdom with supplements, except in extraordinary circumstances, is foolhardy at best, and downright dangerous at worst.

Now let’s turn to the older studies claiming a benefit for fish oil. These, more often than not, were greatly flawed in methodology. In a 2012 meta-analysis regarding cardiovascular disease, reviewing 1,007 articles, only 14 studies met the criteria of randomization, double blindness, and placebo control.[ii] For me, as a clinician, the matter is worse. You see the studies were VERY rarely controlled against PEOs. And when they were so compared, the PEOs won hands down! And the year 2013 was a killer for fish oil. Three highly significant fish oil study failures were published.

In May 2013, an Italian group released a major study on marine oil for patients with high risk factors but no previous heart attack. Fish oil failed in all measures of cardiovascular disease (CVD) prevention—both primary and secondary[iii]. This study was so conclusive that highly respected Eric Topol, MD, Editor-in-Chief of Medscape and Medscape’s Heartwire for cardiologists, issued a new directive to patients to stop taking fish oil, that is, long-chain EFA metabolites of EPA/DHA. The May 2013 trial3 showed that macular degeneration victims were not helped despite fish oil’s significant DHA content.[iv] The year 2013 was very bad for fish oil findings. Why the failures?

Let’s turn to logic first. Our bodies are made for ingestion of PEOs, which are fully functional. What does that mean? A ladder with broken footholds might be the right length, but you’ll come crashing down. Oils are the same. A major problem of the SAD (standard American diet) is that our alleged “foods” are loaded with oils that have been heated and highly processed. That loads our cells with adulterated (trans, oxidized and rancid) oils, like a painter standing on a damaged rung of a ladder. This is one of the great and poorly understood causes of disease of our times. Fish oil cannot repair this damage. Only ingestion of non-adulterated, organically grown and processed plant-based oils will correct the problem. That is why fish oil has to fail. But what of the possibility of toxicity?

In 2013, a landmark article appeared in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute. It confirmed prior post-2007 findings of increased prostate cancer risk among men with high blood concentrations of marine oil type lipids. The authors warned, “The consistency of these findings suggests that these fatty acids [EPA / DHA] are involved in prostate tumorigenesis.” They argued for reconsideration of marine oil use!

True, marine oils can lower inflammation in isolated cases. But so does supplemental cortisone (aka steroids). This forced inhibition of inflammation comes at a price whether done with steroids or marine oils. Let’s look at the potential carnage of supplemental fish oil. All references to these findings can be found in the new book I co-authored with Prof. Peskin, entitled PEO Solution. In that book, I became the first person in history to resolve the “French Paradox”, the mystery of the French eating such rich foods yet having a far lower risk of heart disease than do we Americans. I’ll give you the resolution at the end of this report— as a bonus!

When you take supplemental fish oil, you forcibly cause your cells to increase the proportion of the very long chain polyunsaturated (PUFAs) fatty acids, which otherwise is very carefully controlled by each organ in your body. For example, your skin ratio of omega 6:3 is 1000:1. For your brain, it’s more like 100:1. Not only does fish oil improperly force and increase LCPUFAs in your cell membranes, but also overdoses your mitochondria, which absolutely don’t want the rancid prone omega 3 series. Your mitochondria are the equivalent of blast furnaces. The vulnerability of LCPUFAs in your mitochondria would be analogous to replacing the steel walls of a blast furnace with copper, which would oxidize and crumble. Force-feeding these critical structures marine oils is a sure way to age them.

And when you overdo your skin with LCPUFAs, you may make yourself more vulnerable to melanoma. Norway is struggling to determine the cause of high melanoma rates in a country with little sun, but LOTS of marine oil. And, what finally kicked me over the edge against marine oil was a well-done study on primates (monkeys) fed marine oil. Their livers took up the LCPUFAs and quickly suffered extensive peroxidation damage. Their livers also exhausted their supply of vitamin E in a failed attempt to stop the damage. No amount of vitamin E could fully stop rancidity damage in primates fed marine oils. Even popular cod liver oil is problematic here. A study on 6 human subjects taking the oil found all of them to have increases in very harmful MDA, an aldehyde toxic molecule with properties similar to formaldehyde—embalming fluid. MDA and other markers of oxidative damage increase in fish oil users due to the high vulnerability of LCPUFAs to become rancid. To the contrary, these studies did not find that enriching the diet of animals with PEOs induced oxidative damage! So it’s not just unsaturated fatty acids causing the damage, but the LCPUFAs. That makes sense, as PEOs are what your body wants and NEEDS, not LCPUFAs from fish oil.

Let’s now logically consider if you really need to ingest fish oil at all. It is well accepted that humans were CREATED on or evolved on the plains of Africa. Now lump those early humans together with our closest cousins in nature today. Were they eating cold-water fish? Modern apes, with digestive tracts similar to ours, are nearly 100% vegetarian. The early humans would have had NO access to omega 3 rich fish in Africa. So, logically, our need for consumption of marine oil and its supplements must be low, and the conversion of PEOs to the LCPUFAs as designed by the Creator must be for a reason. And consider the longest living human societies on the planet. Of the 5, only one group, those in Okinawa, consume fish. Most of the rest are largely vegetarians eating ripe foods grown on rich soils. I am a vegetarian for spiritual reasons. I’ve had my omega fats checked and I fall well into the reference range eating NO marine oils! Most vegetarians also will have well over 80% of the EPA and DHA that fish eaters have in their bloodstream. And, that’s enough!

For those technically inclined, consider: Your body will naturally convert only about 0.25% of a 600 mg ALA supplement into EPA, or about just 1.5 mg. For the longer and more unsaturated DHA, you’ll convert that supplement to about 0.35 mg. If you take even a single capsule of marine oils containing 180 mg EPA and 120 mg DHA, you are getting a 120 and 340 times overdose of these vulnerable fatty acids compared to your own body’s conversion wisdom. This should give you great pause for concern. I offer you this example:

A 2010 article by Universtiy of Michigan’s Jennifer Fenton said, “The problems with fish oil” are not new.” “Our findings support a growing body of literature implicating harmful effects of high doses of fish oil consumption in relation to certain disease.” “Currently, there is a call by academics and the food industry to establish dietary guidelines for omega-3 consumption.” “With fish oil, we don’t yet know how much is appropriate.” Contrary to what she set out to study, she said, "We found that mice developed deadly, late-stage colon cancer when given high doses of fish oil," she said. "More importantly, with the increased inflammation, it only took four weeks for the tumors to develop."[v]

Now let’s consider some greatly overlooked factors in the oil debates. Research has confirmed that it is not animal fat, not butter, not lard, and not vegetable fat that is linked to vascular disease. It is toxic or adulterated oils. These include trans fats from hydrogenated oils, rancid fats from heated oils and fried foods. These have NO place in your physiology. The average American diet is overloaded with toxic fats. These oils get incorporated (forced) into your cell membranes, which, believe it or not, may be the controlling factor in your DNA activity. The cell membrane is like a keyboard to your hard drive. Your keyboard controls it. And so, we are learning that the real action in health is occurring at your cell membrane. One key function of cell membrane is to permit oxygen into the cell. I often wondered how cells, with an oily membrane, permitted oxygen to pass through. The secret is in the omega 6—not omega 3—fatty acid content. The former has the ability to latch on to oxygen from without the cell and release it within the cell suffering no damage. Omega 3 oils can suffer oxidative damage, as you’ve seen. And, since parent omega 6 is essential to pass oxygen into your cells, a deficiency of unadulterated, fully functional omega 6 can lead to cellular oxygen starvation.

How might this problem occur in reality? By consumption of most supermarket’s adulterated oils which are incorporated into your membranes but are not fully functional. If you have a dysfunctional door, you might not be able to get into your room. It’s the same with dysfunctional oils in your cell membranes. Oxygen and other essential nutrients might be barred entry, and waste products might be barred exit. And, when you overdose on rancid-prone marine oil supplements, you are foiling the natural wisdom of your body’s protection of these crucial membranes.

Parent oils, especially of the scorned omega 6 series are absolutely critical for your life. For example, the pundits scare you into thinking that omega 6 is responsible for inflammation. Simultaneously, they neglect to tell you that your most important vascular lubricators, key anti-inflammatory compounds, and circulatory protection molecules are PGE1 and prostacyclin—both of which are 100% derived from Parent omega 6. These are molecules you really want, and they can’t be made from adulterated omega 6 or from intact omega 3 or fish oil. It’s likely for this reason that Prof. Peskin’s IOWA study saw PEOs shellacking fish oil. The PEO users were a whopping 11 years biologically younger in their arteries once the fish oil stopped and the PEOs began. And it just took about 6 months to get these results.

Overseen by an interventional cardiologist, this study measured arterial flexibility via DPA photoplethysmography —a well-accepted test for arterial aging. Substituting PEOs for fish oil in the volunteers actually REVERSED arterial age, exactly opposite what the fish oil promoters would tell you. This is key information directly pitting PEOs against overdoses of derivatives. PEOs remedied the aging induced by the marine oils. (I took the same test, and on no supplements, relying on my diet alone. My arterial age came in 30 years less than my actual age!)

The issue is NOT vegetarian vs. carnivore, nor am I encouraging you to become vegetarian. In our book PEO Solution, I cracked the French Paradox, which, I promised you, I would reveal here. The French eat a lot of meat and rich foods, but have far less heart disease than do we. My predecessor in these pages encouraged you to do the same. It took an organic raw food near vegan like me to see the connection between the low vascular disease rates of the carnivorous French and the vegetarian world.

The French cook their food in BUTTER! Butter has a low smoke point and can’t be heated too high, risking the taste, and which would destroy other crucial nutrients like happens with the high heat of vegetable oil cooked food. Butter smokes around 160 C. Vegetable oils smoke at much higher temperatures, enabling far greater heat alteration of molecules into forms never found in nature.

Now remember, I am a clinician, not a scientist. I observe effects in people and patients and apply my observations in the field. I’ve been to India several times and do volunteer work in a charitable hospital with my wife. In this region, the people are mostly hard working peasants and vegetarian. Hence, they are not eating the typical horrible American diet. Yet we were shocked to see advanced vascular diseases and diabetes in otherwise young (30’s) and slender people, unlike the obese and older age groups we see it in here. And this is in spite of the fact that they use tons of the protective miracle spice turmeric.

I meditated on it for just one night and realized why. The Indians cook their food to oblivion IN OIL—Highly unsaturated (and therefore heat vulnerable) mustard oil to be specific! Hence, they have totally destroyed the nutritional content of their food while ingesting absolutely toxic oil. An oil that would be better off brushed on their furniture like shellac—boiled (heated) linseed (flax) oil. Flax oil is widely consumed, even as a supplement. But look at what heat does to it by applying some to a piece of wood and feel it get tacky like plastic overnight. That’s exactly what happens in your body with the oxidation of oils! Yes, you should be very concerned if you have been consuming marine / fish oil supplements

I am an organic raw food near vegan (I eat some dairy). I eat this way for spiritual reasons, not wanting to kill a creature. So, I don’t lean on others to be vegetarian. But my health is outstanding and I have the blood pressure of a young adolescent, and, with no fish oil!

But in the meantime, I strongly encourage you to immediately cease using marine oils. If you eat a largely uncooked Living Food diet, you are likely getting all the PEOs you need (as do I). If your history is more of the SAD diet, you might want to consider a PEO supplement of high quality that is regularly tested for oxidation (rancidity). I recommend a plant based EFA product to my patients needing PEO supplementation. I’ll admit it took a few years of Prof. Peskin beating me with articles on the subject and thoroughly connecting all the dots. However, I got ahead of him at times and when I found the study on primate livers being knocked out with marine oils, I jumped off the fish oil bandwagon for good. As this information disseminates amongst my colleagues, more and more are abandoning fish oil and its bogus science. Yes, there may be a few people fish oil can benefit, those with genetically defective conversion (far less than the normal 1% conversion of PEOs to LCPUFAs). However, I stand on the recommendation that anyone using fish oil should be monitored for overdose by having regular blood tests for fatty acids. Hence, the blanket use by the population of fish oil, in this clinician’s opinion, while forcibly reducing inflammation in the short run like a steroidal effect (if at all) is a prescription for premature aging and cellular collapse in the long run.

If still skeptical, I encourage you to read my co-authored book

* Brian Peskin earned his Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (M.I.T.) in 1979. He received an appointment as an Adjunct Professor at Texas Southern University in the Department of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (1998-1999). The former president of the University said of Brian's discoveries: "...His nutritional discoveries and practical applications through Life-Systems Engineering are unprecedented."

http://lipidlibrary.aocs.org/processing/marine/index.htm

[ii] S. M. Kwak, S. K. Myung, Y. J. Lee, and H. G. Seo, “Efficacy of Omega-3 fatty acid supplements (eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid) in the secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease: a meta-analysis of randomized, double-blind, placebo- controlled trials,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 172, no. 9, pp. 686–694, 2012.

[iii] The Risk and Prevention Study Collaborative Group, “n-3 fatty acids in patients with multiple cardiovascular risk factors,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 368, no. 19, pp. 1800–1808, 2013.

[iv] AREDS2 Research Group, “Lutein + Zeaxanthin and Omega-3 fatty acids for age-related macular degeneration: the Age-Related Eye Disease Study 2 (AREDS2) Randomized Clinical trial,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 309, no. 19, pp. 2005–2015, 2013.

[v] http://msutoday.msu.edu/news/2010/fish-oil-linked-to-increased-risk-of-colon-cancer-in-mice/Type your paragraph here.

Thanks for that post voyageur. I was actually thinking about taking some Omega 3's for joint issues, but maybe the problem is actually glyphosate! I have stopped taking 1 or 2 grams of Cod Liver Oil for nearly a year it seems, since on one of the Health and Wellness shows it was brought up that it's likely oxidized. I had been taking Cod Liver oil for maybe 7 years.

I was thinking about krill oil, but it comes from the Antarctic. And I wonder what levels of radiation it would have. I've stopped eating sardines, even if from the Atlantic. But this article seems to make even krill oil a moot point, even if it has antioxidants like astaxanthin helping out.

3D Student said:
Thanks for that post voyageur. I was actually thinking about taking some Omega 3's for joint issues, but maybe the problem is actually glyphosate! I have stopped taking 1 or 2 grams of Cod Liver Oil for nearly a year it seems, since on one of the Health and Wellness shows it was brought up that it's likely oxidized. I had been taking Cod Liver oil for maybe 7 years.

I was thinking about krill oil, but it comes from the Antarctic. And I wonder what levels of radiation it would have. I've stopped eating sardines, even if from the Atlantic. But this article seems to make even krill oil a moot point, even if it has antioxidants like astaxanthin helping out.

The thing is 3D, I'm not condoning it nor dismissing it; I just don't know and was a little taken aback at first. Eating fish is as old as we go, although commercial fish oil is another thing. Then there is the possible aquatic theory that may hid some type of inner biological system that escapes this fellow. I think I'd want to read his book and see what others say before getting too hooked ;) Yet maybe there is some biological logic in what he is saying, at least that warrants further study and cross reference.

As for this glyphosate business you have referenced, you are absolutely right, it may well be the doom of us all and its super difficult to ensure it is not getting into our bodies. Really, this product is criminal to the bone and they know it, and the worlds financial system of stock investments are so heavily leveraged by it. For many people just affording food, let alone organic food, is getting harder and our food is swimming in this toxin. Basically, its got to start one consumer mouth at a time and one farmer at a time (or one good prosecution for the crime) before we could possibly get out of this mess and I don't see it happening so people need to do the best they can somehow.

Yesterday I founded very interesting unique land vegetable/weed that called “Purslane” from Dr. Mercola’s website.
And its leaves contain high amounts of omega- 3 fatty acids!

Purslane: Benefits, Uses and Recipes

Purslane's Many Health Benefits
Owning up to its title as a "superfood," purslane has a wide variety of vitamins and minerals belonging to its arsenal. It has antibacterial, antiscorbutic (combats scurvy), depurative (detoxifying and purifying), diuretic (increases amount of water in the body), and febrifuge (reduces fever) properties.4
Here are some of the additional health benefits that you can receive from consuming purslane:
Its leaves contain high amounts of omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids are responsible for helping to prevent high cholesterol and high blood pressure. Omega-3 fats also play a role in lowering the risk for the development of heart disease by combatting inflammation, and also help manage cognitive function and normal growth and development.5
Contains zinc, phosphorus, manganese, copper and calcium.6 Zinc is responsible for maintaining and improving immune system function. It is also responsible for fighting off free radicals that may cause cancer.
Phosphorus and calcium are responsible for bone and dental health. The latter is also essential for nerve, muscle, and blood function. Meanwhile, you need copper to help ensure the thorough absorption of iron. It is also important for hemoglobin production in your body. Lastly, manganese acts as an antioxidant and helps in fighting off free radicals. It is also important for repairing damaged tissue, breaking down fats and cholesterol, and producing energy.7
An excellent source of vitamin A. Purslane packs the highest amount of vitamin A present in any leafy vegetable. Vitamin A is important for the improvement and maintenance of visual health, and is also crucial for bone and cell growth.8
Low in calories. Purslane contains only 16 calories per 100 grams. This is good news for people who are trying to limit their caloric intake. It is also packed with dietary fiber, which contributes to the feeling of fullness after every meal, limiting your intake of food and aiding in weight loss.9
What Is Purslane Used For?
Purslane can actually be used in different ways to treat different body aches and illnesses. It can work as a topical treatment to alleviate headaches, fevers and inflammation. The leaves can also be placed under the tongue to alleviate thirst, although I wouldn't recommend this, as you should always address your thirst by drinking enough water to prevent dehydration.
Purslane juice can also be extracted from the plant and can be used as a remedy for dry cough and shortness of breath. On the other hand, purslane tea can be used to alleviate toothaches.10 Aside from these medicinal purposes, purslane can also be added to recipes for main dishes and salads to add flavor and boost the nutritional content.
How to Grow Purslane
Growing purslane isn't a complicated task. It can be propagated in two ways: through the spread of purslane seeds or from breaking off stems from the plant itself. Purslane seeds usually develop in small seed pods in spring or early summer. These seed pods usually break off to allow the seeds to be scattered.
These seeds usually take roughly 10 days to germinate when exposed to temperatures between 70 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit. While purslane plants can grow anywhere, people typically prefer growing them indoors. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to successfully grow purslane indoors:11
  1. Acquire seeds or stem cuttings. Purslane seeds can usually be acquired from scattered purslane plants, but they can also be bought online. If you choose to gather seeds from wild purslane, make sure that the plants have not been treated pesticides or herbicides.
  2. Fill a pot with rich soil. You can also add in some soil from your compost bin as fertilizer. When planting seeds, make sure that you scatter them on top of the soil – do not cover them with the soil. Purslane seeds need light to germinate and take root. When using stem cuttings, lay the cuttings on the ground. It generally takes a few days before the cuttings take root.
  3. Make sure that you water the soil until it's moist. Avoid watering the soil to the point that it gets too soggy. Purslane seeds need only a limited amount of water to germinate.
  4. Keep the pot in a location where it can get enough sunlight. The seeds will take about two weeks to sprout.
A reminder on purslane plant care: It can spread fast and can become invasive if not contained efficiently. It is recommended that you cut a purslane plant before the flowers appear so as not to allow it to spread at an alarming pace. It also grows annually, which will require you to aquire seeds from your plants to make sure that you don't run out of sprouts.12
How to Eat Purslane
Purslane can be eaten either raw or cooked. If you're planning on eating raw purslane, make sure that the plant is pesticide and herbicide free to prevent accidental ingestion of harmful chemicals such as Roundup.

Let’s now logically consider if you really need to ingest fish oil at all. It is well accepted that humans were CREATED on or evolved on the plains of Africa. Now lump those early humans together with our closest cousins in nature today. Were they eating cold-water fish? Modern apes, with digestive tracts similar to ours, are nearly 100% vegetarian. The early humans would have had NO access to omega 3 rich fish in Africa. So, logically, our need for consumption of marine oil and its supplements must be low, and the conversion of PEOs to the LCPUFAs as designed by the Creator must be for a reason.

Well, not everybody agrees that human beings were created or evolved on the plains of Africa. I mentioned one book that talks about that topic.

But speaking about the problem of oxidation of omega 3's, Venturi thinks that he found a solution for it. Here is a chapter from the same book: Iodine, PUFAs and Iodolipids in Health and Diseases: An Evolutionary Perspective

I stumbled upon this interesting article from a woman who introduced the fish oil parenteral nutrition to the US: The Power of Networking and Lessons Learned From Omegaven

It reminded me of the movie that I recently viewed where the olive oil was used as a therapy: Lorenzo's Oil - Wikipedia

And recently there has been several studies that showed how combined intake of fish oil and olive oil has a synergistic effects: http://austinpublishinggroup.com/nutritional-disorders/fulltext/download.php?file=andt-v2-id1023.pdf

I wanted to gather all the articles about this topic before I post it here, but it looks like somebody already did it, so I'm just gonna post their link: Explore

I think this truly is a groundbreaking discovery. And it also explains why previous experiments failed to prove benefits with omega 3 supplementation. In short, you need to combine choline with DHA to get the most benefits from it. I'll post some more links later, since I am still reading about it all.

A couple of quotes from the sessions:

Q: (Pierre) About the interaction between us and the information field... I wanted to know if basically the DNA because of its spiral shape acts as an amplifier and universal antenna, while the proteins act as a specifier of the information received due to their geometric conformation? DNA amplifier, protein says what FM station you're tuning into?

A: Yes.

(Ark) What I want to know is: Where is the software which is SO powerful and so universal?! It's crash-proof! Where does it come from? Is it in the genes? Or after the butterfly is born, it downloads from somewhere this software? Where is it?

(Pierre) It's the information field [makes patented Pierre Information Field Gesture].

(L) Information field. So, your question is: Where does the butterfly's software come from?

(Ark) Yes.

A: As Pierre said, it is information fully and freely given/received via the antenna of the proteins.

So, the proteins are the antenna and the DNA is amplifier. But what role do the lipids play? Especially the DHA? Here is one possible answer:

We hypothesize lipid biology was a key driver of the Cambrian Explosion, because it alone provides for compartmentalization and specialization within cells. DHA has six methylene interrupted double bonds providing controlled electron flow at precise energy levels; this is essential for visual acuity and truthful execution of the neural pathways which make up our recollections, information processing and consciousness. The last double bond is critical for the evolution and function of the photoreceptor and neuronal and synaptic signaling systems. It completes a quantum mechanical device for the regulation of current flow with absolute signal precision based on electron tunneling (ET).

And some more explanation of this theory can be found here:

The photo-receptor versus the synapse​

In summary: let us suppose that DHA is the conduit for electrons to flow at a precise energy level and specific wave form, generated by electron tunneling. This then would be the enactment of a neural pathway, learnt by repeated activation with DHA bio-magnification. The enhanced levels leading to enhanced density of the π-electron field, protein synthesis and hence a neural path. Protein provides the energy.

The inner cell membrane is the richest in DHA. The ethanolamine phosphoglyceride in the neuron holds about 20–30% DHA, the synapse 18–32% and the photo receptor greater than 50%. These data are approximate as analysis mostly done contain a mixture of different cell types; there are also brain, regional differences (Diau et al., 2005).

In the photo receptor, all phosphoglyceride SN2 positions contain DHA and some include DHA in the SN1 position, which is most unusual. It can be said that the photo receptor is fully saturated with DHA and hence is operating at full potential: you cannot get any more DHA into the receptor membrane.

In the photoreceptor operating at full potential there is no concept of learning
. It has to respond immediately and fully to first and subsequent light. On the other hand, synapses in the brain do not have this total, non-stop activation and responsive signaling of the photoreceptor. However, they do possess the property of selectively incorporating DHA with high specificity (Rodriguez de Turco et al., 1999). During use, synapses like the photoreceptors break down and are remodeled. On average the synapse membrane inner lipids might contain 18–36% DHA. However, there is room for a lot more.

Our proposition is that the input from a sensory organ such as vision or hearing, establishes a matrix of strengthened and hence, learnt neurons and synapses, which if repeated enough times is enriched in DHA and proteins. The π-electrons of the DHA then provide for the memory or neural pathway with a signal precision guaranteed by the electron tunneling and Pauli Exclusion Principle. It is accepted that the enrichment of synapses represents our memories. In our thesis we refer to a multi-dimensional electromagnetic cluster or matrix based on the enhanced density of DHA’s π-electrons. On activation, the matrix will light up and vanish at a precise energy level defined by the semi-conduction properties of DHA.

The above part reminded me of something that C's said about building our receiver:

(Galatea) So is there positive information we can acquire somehow to combat the negative information?

A: We have given you the data and clues. Knowledge must be acquired via efforts so as to make proper connections and pathways in the brain.

Q: (L) Why is it so important to make connections and pathways in the brain?

A: That is, quite simply, building your receiver!!!

Q: (L) So, it is important to acquire knowledge, information, and to do it in a way that builds your brain power because that's your receiver. Your receiver receives...

(Galatea) Cosmic information.

A: Higher energies!

Another interesting question about electrical conductivity of phospholipids is what happens when you add iodine to the phospholipids? The answer: conductivity increases.

The d.c. electrical conductivity of dry phospholipid films is increased by some 8-11 orders of magnitude by the adsorption of iodine vapor. The conductivity of these films has been found to increase as a function of iodine 'vapor pressure' and the quantitative relationship between electrical conductivity and the adsorbed iodine has been determined. Films composed of phospholipids with unsaturated hydrocarbon chains are some three orders of magnitude more electrically conductive than are films of phospholipids containing saturated hydrocarbon chains. Optical spectroscopic measurements show the development of absorption bands centered near 294 nm and 365 nm, upon iodine adsorption. These bands are much more intense for unsaturated phospholipids than for saturated ones. X-ray diffraction studies show that exposure to iodine decreases the thickness of phospholipid bilayers containing unsaturated hydrocarbon chains but does not change the thickness of bilayers containing only saturated chains. The electrical response of the lipid films, upon exposure to iodine, suggests their possible use as iodine sensors.

What is also interesting is that DHA is the lipid that has the highest iodine number, which means that the more DHA you have in your body, the more iodine you will be able to have in your body, which will further increase electroconductivity.

Also interesting point is that you need iron in order to put the iodine in the phospholipids. So here we have the connection of iron, iodine and phosphorus in one place. All of the things that C's mentioned as important.

Also, DHA as a conduit for electromagnetic wave forms. And the C's called us a "wave reading consciousness units". And more we use our brain, the more DHA and proteins we will have in our brain, so the more waves can we receive from the universe.

There is also the antimicrobial aspect of omega-3, which the C's said is also important.

Speaking about connection between proteins and phospholipids, here is a nice description of a structure of cell membrane. As you can see, the proteins are integrated in the membrane structure, together with phospholipids. So you could say that the entire membrane could work as an antenna.

640-834453538-cell-membrane.png

Another interesting thing about membrane proteins is that they can act as receptors of various ligands.

In biochemistry and pharmacology, receptors are chemical structures, composed of protein, that receive and transduce signals that may be integrated into biological systems.[1] These signals are typically[nb 1] chemical messengers which bind to a receptor and cause some form of cellular/tissue response, e.g. a change in the electrical activity of a cell. There are three main ways the action of the receptor can be classified: relay of signal, amplification, or integration.[2] Relaying sends the signal onward, amplification increases the effect of a single ligand, and integration allows the signal to be incorporated into another biochemical pathway.[2]

Receptor proteins can be classified by their location. Transmembrane receptors include ligand-gated ion channels, G protein-coupled receptors, and enzyme-linked hormone receptors.[1] Intracellular receptors are those found inside the cell, and include cytoplasmic receptors and nuclear receptors.[1] A molecule that binds to a receptor is called a ligand and can be a protein, peptide (short protein), or another small molecule, such as a neurotransmitter, hormone, pharmaceutical drug, toxin, calcium ion or parts of the outside of a virus or microbe. An endogenously produced substance that binds to a particular receptor is referred to as its endogenous ligand. E.g. the endogenous ligand for the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor is acetylcholine, but it can also be activated by nicotine[3][4] and blocked by curare.[5] Receptors of a particular type are linked to specific cellular biochemical pathways that correspond to the signal. While numerous receptors are found in most cells, each receptor will only bind with ligands of a particular structure. This has been analogously compared to how locks will only accept specifically shaped keys. When a ligand binds to a corresponding receptor, it activates or inhibits the receptor's associated biochemical pathway.

Which explains why would the alchemists be interested in producing the various ligands in human body. Interestingly, many of those ligands are produced with omega-3.

A: Do you want to invite Ark to the discussion?

Q: (L) Of course. (A) What is the function of DNA, other than coding protein production?

A: Conductor of electricity.

Q: (L) Is that the only other function?

A: Well, as you know, electrical energy can have nearly endless applications. Examples... radio waves, neuro-transceiver for thought pattern programs facilitated through electromagnetic wave transmission, etc. Method used for creation and maintenance of program illusions, such as the perception of linear time as reality.

Phosphorus and The Frequency of Light

So, both DNA and DHA have roles in conducting the electricity. Interesting.

"But I'm taking the fish oil and I haven't noticed any effect on my mind", you say.

Well, in order to feel any potential effect from omega-3, you need to put those omegas into you brain, which apparently is a big problem. That problem manifests in both digestion and metabolism of omega-3.

Interestingly, both problems are solved in the synergy of pregnant women, placenta, breast milk and babies. So it seems that mother nature made sure that human beings have a plenty of omega-3 during their early development. But for the continuation of that development we need some extra knowledge. And I think I finally found it. I'll write about it in the next post.

So let's start with babies. How do babies digest the omega-3?

Well, while they are in their mother's womb, they just take the omega-3 from mother's blood through the placenta. So they don't have to digest anything. But when they are born they do have to digest omega-3 from the milk. How do they do that, if it is known that human beings have the problem with digesting omega-3?

Well, first of all, the milk itself is an emulsion. And emulsions greatly improve the digestion of lipids. That's because emulsions are water soluble, and our enzymes for lipid digestion are also water soluble, so the emulsions allow the enzymes to have an easier approach to the lipids that they need to digest.

But, what is even more interesting when it comes to lipid emulsions, is the structure of lipid crystals that are formed during the digestion in the intestines. That in itself is a very fascinating area for research. The results of that research is used by many scientist, one of them are those who are trying to improve the digestibility of infant formula, so that it would resemble the golden standard, i.e. breast milk.

So what kind of crystals are formed with the breast milk? Scientist claim that two types are formed, one is called "lamellar phase" and the other one "reversed micellar cubic (Fd3m) phase", with the latter one especially good for digestion of lipids. You can read about it here, but there are a lot more articles out there for those who are interested in this topic. But the general idea is that the structure of the formed crystals in our intestines, and hence the digestibility of lipids, depends on the ratio of different lipids in the lipid mixture. That is why the human milk is digested differently from cow's milk, because the ratio of medium chain and long chain fatty acids, and also saturated and unsaturated fats are different in those two milks. So you get different crystals structure with different digestibility.

This brings are back to our fish oil? What is the problem with fish oil?

Well, the problem with commercial fish oil is that it is a concentrated version of omega-3. As such, it doesn't have many fatty acids that the natural fish oil has. Because of that, the crystals that are formed in our intestines will be different, which will affect omega-3 digestibility.

So, while doing the good work on concentrating the omega-3 in commercial fish oil, the manufacturers change the way that those oil are digested, in a bad way. So in this case, the more is less.

What is the solution for this problem? The solution lies in creating the emulsion with proper lipid ratio that will form reverse cubic crystal phase. You can find one possible solution here, but many other combinations are also possible. It is interesting that Weston Price recommended combining the butter and fish oil, and guess what, that also works.

Back
Top Bottom