Mystery of falling dead birds and masses of dead fish

Legolas said:
I heard about the reason why some birds died in Romania a few minutes ago in the radio:

article said:
DOZENS of birds found dead in eastern Romania drank themselves to death, the local sanitary and veterinary authority has revealed.

The starlings died after they ate grapes left over from the wine-making process, Romeu Lazar, head of the local DSVSA, told the Agerpres news agency.

The cause of death was determined after the contents of the birds' gizzards were analysed, he added.

On Saturday, several residents of Constanta, 260 kilometres east of Bucharest, alerted the authorities after they discovered dozens of dead starlings on the outskirts of the city.

They said they feared the birds had been killed by avian flu, but the DSVSA immediately ruled out that possibility.

The incident came after unexplained mass bird and fish deaths were reported in several countries, including the United States, Sweden and Britain.

_http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/romanian-birds-drank-themselves-to-death/story-e6frf7lf-1225985966999

As I heard it, it sounded just strange to me, that birds would eat something that contains alcohol. Maybe whitewashing, but I'm not sure.

My initial reaction to this explanation was that it was a load of old cobblers. Are there any grapes left over at this time of year (winter) in Europe? Does the total wine making process itself leave any sizeable piles of grapes around, that is, of a sufficient amount to get dozens of starlings drunk?

That aside though, starlings can get drunk from eating grapes (after the process of fermentation in their stomachs), in the appropriate season of course.

"Here is an interesting story. A few years ago, a farmer brought two drunken red-tailed hawks to a bird rescue centre. They were stupefied, comatose even, but alive. Following the detective work, here is what they figured had happened.

The farmer had spread grape pumice (mash made from wine grapes) on his fields as fertilizer. Normally, any falling moisture would have been enough to break down the grape pumice and wash it into the soil, but there was little moisture that particular winter. So the grapes didn’t decompose, but fermented instead. The hawks did not eat the grapes. Starlings did. The starlings got good and drunk and stupefied. Many died, but the ones that didn’t couldn’t fly very well. Since starlings, even when drunk, generally fly in a straight line, they became easy pickings for these two patrolling hawks, who made a Christmas feast of starling, marinated au Pinot Noir. And like little boys who eat too many brandied berries at Christmas, the hawks also got falling-down drunk. The hawks were put on wooden roosts in an incubator, and once they recovered from their binges, they flew off none the worse for wear."

_http://naturestuff.net/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=361&Itemid=43

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway the explanation that the birds drunk themselves to death now sounds a bit more reasonable and plausible. But because of the time of year and also the amount of grapes needed, these factors render this scenario (cover story?) less likely to me.

Whatever explanations are being put forward in individual cases, the fact remains that its happening world wide in a short period of time and it is only affecting species of fish and birds.

Birds/Fish Dying in mass around the world (and other strange things)

This has been pretty big news around the states and especially here in Chicago where I live. Different species of birds are just dropping dead in masses in small areas throughout the world (ruling out the possibility of disease) and fish are dying in the hundreds of thousands and washing up on shore.

http://www.examiner.com/pop-culture-in-hartford/more-dead-birds-missouri-today-odd-conditions-wildlife-also-reported

Again, this is happening all over the world but stranger things are also happening. Thousands of fish washed up in New Zealand all missing their eyes. The turtle doves that massively died in Italy all did so because they all over ate. In Chicago fisherman are reporting Canadian Geese and Mallard ducks eating the thousands of dead fish that are washing up in the harbors and lake in Chicago.

I wanted to know what everyone thinks about this and what may be the cause. I wonder if the C's ever discussed any of this happening.

MichaelDavid said:
http://www.examiner.com/pop-culture-in-hartford/more-dead-birds-missouri-today-odd-conditions-wildlife-also-reported

It apparently has affected crabs and bats as well. But something else is going on than just mass animal deaths. If you read this article today in Missouri more dead birds. But this article discusses how things are getting very strange. Fish washing up with missing eyes in New Zealand. The turtle doves in italy all died from overeating. And I live in the Chicago area, fisherman are reporting the Canadian geese and Mallard ducks eating the dead fish washing up in the Chicago lakes and harbors. This is not a normal part of their diet.

Wow that's really disturbing animals are going crazy!! They are tying up with the humans! :(

Re: Birds/Fish Dying in mass around the world (and other strange things)

Hi MichaelDavid, there's a thread going on the topic here. You search through recent threads by clicking 'view the most recent posts on the forum' link which shows up in the top section of the forum when you're logged in and have clicked the green plus button that is on the upper right hand side.

There's also a search function at the very top of the forum, just make sure your search is set to 'entire forum'.

wanderer33 said:
Whatever explanations are being put forward in individual cases, the fact remains that its happening world wide in a short period of time and it is only affecting species of fish and birds.

:huh: I was thinking about a case of limbic resonance, sort of, here.

Thousands of fish dead along Chicago lakefront

Associated Press
5:57 a.m. CST, January 11, 2011

CHICAGO — Thousands of gizzard shad are going belly up along Chicago's lakefront in a large die-off that's left many of the fish frozen in the ice along the city's harbors.

Lake Michigan Program biologist Dan Makauskas tells the Chicago Sun-Times that gizzard shad aren't a very tough variety of fish. They're members of the herring family, and they're more sensitive to drops in oxygen levels than most fish.

Makauskas says the young fish may not have built up enough reserves to withstand the early onslaught of extreme cold that hit the area.

The Sun-Times reports that Canada geese and mallard ducks are gulping down many of the dead and dying 3- to 5-inch fish. Naturalist Joel Greenberg says the birds don't normally eat fish, but he says they're "opportunistic."

Legolas said:
As I heard it, it sounded just strange to me, that birds would eat something that contains alcohol. Maybe whitewashing, but I'm not sure.

Another page is stating how many birds have died in Romania:

article said:
Thousands of dead black birds were found dead in 3 cities in Romania. In Constanta [that's the city mentioned in the other article] more than 1000 dead birds, in Bistrita 400 black birds also dead, in a vilage near Bistrita olmoust...
There are plenty of animals, and birds that get drunk off of ripe fruit in the wild.
Here is a humorous video on that topic that i thought may lighten the mood :D
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eBw-actpemc

Edit: This one is even more pertinant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_euCpewQs2c

And here, birds in particular
http://www.nhptv.org/natureworks/cedarwaxwing.htm

Today apparently 300 blackbirds dive bombed a tractor trailer, all committing suicide witnesses said.

Birds in Romania also "drank themselves to death"

http://www.examiner.com/pop-culture-in-hartford/dead-birds-alabama-today-dead-birds-romania-drank-themselves-to-death

davey72 said:
Edit: This one is even more pertinant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_euCpewQs2c

And here, birds in particular
http://www.nhptv.org/natureworks/cedarwaxwing.htm

Thanks for that, really interesting.

Today apparently 300 blackbirds dive bombed a tractor trailer, all committing suicide witnesses said.

Something is happening for sure, what is it I don't know but I have no doubts any more about what C's said will happen, this is clearly a sign of the time and like some of these animals see no way out, maybe frequency impact or something that makes them crazy.

dannybananny said:

Something is happening for sure, what is it I don't know but I have no doubts any more about what C's said will happen, this is clearly a sign of the time and like some of these animals see no way out, maybe frequency impact or something that makes them crazy.

This make me think about the possibility that something similar could happen in the future to humans when the times comes... It is as if this animals that are dying are perceiving their world incorrectly, then go crazy for a change in their perception that it is the same to say that 2 nd density is changing?! I remember for my physics lessons that a wave can be decomposed as the addition of other waves of another frecuencies, been found these components in the "big" wave. Maybe some beings of 2 nd density is being affected by one component of the big wave.. just some thoughts..

I don't know if its related but its a mass-death so I'll put it here.

http://www.startribune.com/local/113679204.html said:
200 dead cows found in Wisconsin field

Last update: January 15, 2011 - 10:15 AM

TOWN OF STOCKTON, Wis. - An investigation is under way after 200 dead cows were found in a field in the Town of Stockton.

The Portage County sheriff's office says the owner of the cattle has been working with a local veterinarian and it's believed the animals died from the IBR/BVD virus. The virus can cause respiratory and reproductive problems.

WSAW reports samples from the dead cows have been sent to Madison for testing.

Authorities say there is no threat to humans or other animals.

Re: Arkansas game officials probe mystery of falling birds

born2bewild said:
EGVG said:
Thank you Venusian for posting the map, I can't really see any relation, maybe it has to do with air and water flows...I dunno
Maybe this map will help?
800px-2006megacities.PNG

What does this map of cities that had 1 million inhabitants in 2006 have to do with the discussion?

Galaxia2002 said:
dannybananny said:

This make me think about the possibility that something similar could happen in the future to humans when the times comes... It is as if this animals that are dying are perceiving their world incorrectly, then go crazy for a change in their perception that it is the same to say that 2 nd density is changing?! I remember for my physics lessons that a wave can be decomposed as the addition of other waves of another frecuencies, been found these components in the "big" wave. Maybe some beings of 2 nd density is being affected by one component of the big wave.. just some thoughts..
Good thoughts
:)

Back
Top Bottom