Movies that you'll never watch or watch again

I've seen The Fifth Element a zillion times too, and GroundHog Day, and You've Got Mail :) I normally don't watch movies more than once but it seems these I could watch once per week or so.

I have seen Matrix several times, and again this last days... At the light of the knowledges I got these last months, the "message" within is appreciably changed...

MK Scarlett,

yup !
those movies are so multi-layered and contain such symbolism that each time i've watched them i ended up taking something different away from the narrative.

the STS / STO theme is quite obvious in those movies.
as well as Psychopathy - i.e. "Mr. Smith".
Simulacra - the machines + people who are unaware that they live in the Matrix.

Plus there's Bullet Time ! :P

transientP said:
MK Scarlett,

yup !
those movies are so multi-layered and contain such symbolism that each time i've watched them i ended up taking something different away from the narrative.

the STS / STO theme is quite obvious in those movies.
as well as Psychopathy - i.e. "Mr. Smith".
Simulacra - the machines + people who are unaware that they live in the Matrix.

Plus there's Bullet Time ! :P

Oh yes! We were three at home (my husband and my younger daughter) looking at them again, except for my daughter who had not seen them yet. It was the occasion for us to connect with the layers included in this trilogy, in the light of Laura's papers in particular, but also those of Mouravieff.

But we are pretty far from the initial subject here... ;)

I'm wondering if your dislike of horror movies has any true basis or its just a trick from your predator's mind?

I'm not queasy when watching horror movies because almost all of them are just based on illusion.

I'm just interested in understanding this aversion/dislike from the 'The Fourth Way' foundation.

Ytain

ytain said:
I'm wondering if your dislike of horror movies has any true basis or its just a trick from your predator's mind?

I'm not queasy when watching horror movies because almost all of them are just based on illusion.

I'm just interested in understanding this aversion/dislike from the 'The Fourth Way' foundation.

Ytain

Perhaps you can consider your question from the viewpoint that impressions are a form of food. Considering that this is the case, what sort of food do you think such impressions would create? Would it be nourishing/educational/comforting/beneficial? Would it be discordant and desensitizing? I think it's a fairly clear issue, once you realize that all impressions are food. Of course, awareness also comes into play, so, as with most things, the specific situation determines value or lack thereof.

while i do agree with anart's point about types of "food" in this regard, i don't think desensitization is necessarily a bad thing.

i'm sure some people use horror movies in a way similar to Exposure Therapy.
like exposing oneself to tarantulas in order to conquer a fear that is deemed too extreme. etc..

do you think desensitization is necessarily always negative ?

transientP said:
while i do agree with anart's point about types of "food" in this regard, i don't think desensitization is necessarily a bad thing.

i'm sure some people use horror movies in a way similar to Exposure Therapy.
like exposing oneself to tarantulas in order to conquer a fear that is deemed too extreme. etc..

do you think desensitization is necessarily always negative ?

I'm not personally a big fan of the word 'always'. As I often mention, the Law of Three applies (there is good, there is bad and there is the specific situation that determines which is which). With that said, desensitization toward cruelty and violence cannot, in my estimation, be a good thing. fwiw.

anart said:
transientP said:
As I often mention, the Law of Three applies (there is good, there is bad and there is the specific situation that determines which is which). With that said, desensitization toward cruelty and violence cannot, in my estimation, be a good thing. fwiw.

This famous Law of Three is a good remind to let us know things are not black or white. Thank you anart.

A bit surprised nobody mentionned "The exorcist"
A very bad joke from an older cousin,I was around 12,he was 16,took me to the movie theatre an afternoon and from that moment life has never been the same anymore;spent hundreds and maybe more nights on terror during years very often alone in an empty flat (parents out and no siblings) head at the bottom of my bed,streaming with sweat, whispering prayers to Jesus, and almost "feeling" my bed move... VERY bad times indeed :shock:

When I grew older and to make sure that my irrationnal fears were gone I went to see "Amityville"; back to the nightmares again. Certainly the reason of my search for Jesus during years.
Not long ago when I read "Amazing Grace", the episode with the possessed boy during the storm strongly disturbed me as well. I really wonder how Laura managed to keep calm and imagine my own adrenalin surge in front of that!

Don Diego said:
Not long ago when I read "Amazing Grace", the episode with the possessed boy during the storm strongly disturbed me as well. I really wonder how Laura managed to keep calm and imagine my own adrenalin surge in front of that!

Trust me, I got an adrenaline surge then too!! Only thing is, I was in the role of a protector of an innocent child. Amazing what you can do when you are more concerned about someone else than yourself.

anart said:
Perhaps you can consider your question from the viewpoint that impressions are a form of food. Considering that this is the case, what sort of food do you think such impressions would create? Would it be nourishing/educational/comforting/beneficial? Would it be discordant and desensitizing? I think it's a fairly clear issue, once you realize that all impressions are food. Of course, awareness also comes into play, so, as with most things, the specific situation determines value or lack thereof.

Are you saying that the food/impressions can have different polarities? Wouldn't that mean that we assign polarities to food/impressions based on what belief system we carry?

If I look at an apple, I do not judge the apple by being bad or good, just neutral. If I have a belief that says that an apple is bad, then the impression will be filtered thru that belief making every apple as bad it can be.

In ISOTM I didn't find yet if the impressions can have dual nature or more?

It usually comes to the level of interpreting the impressions according to the activated belief system.

Ytain

Hello ytain,
It's not about belief systems in this case. There are the flows of creation and life, and the flow of entropy. And our world is symbolic in the sense that the way we orient our existence is reflected in our deeper selves. One aspect of that is imprinting. An other aspect is how our unconscious parts deal with external stimuli and how they interpret the world. Your example about the apple applies in one context, but sublimating violence and suffering do apply in another context. The human self is not restricted to the intellect but a large part of it is related to emotion, and that's the part that defines, unconsciously, the orientation towards life or entropy. Since it is mostly unconscious, it is to be dealt with carefully :)

MK Scarlett said:
I have seen Matrix several times, and again this last days... At the light of the knowledges I got these last months, the "message" within is appreciably changed...
I have seen matrix number of times. Even the animatrix episodes are very interesting in the sense to know the background. I like to watch wizard of oZ and Gandhi whenever i get opportunity.

The worst movie in the world, a french movie called "the irreversible". I went with some friends to the cinema and we choose this one randomly. The three of us (three adults) spent all the time with the eyes close and the fingers in the ears. I thought I was the only one to have had the eyes close and when we got out I found out that nobody watched the movie. Extremely violent, a real torture!

Back
Top Bottom