Movies that you'll never watch or watch again

"Gone With the Wind" is a perfect movie. It also teaches a LOT about history AND psychology. It really is just perfect. Every scene perfect. The actors: perfect. The lines: perfect. The costumes: perfect.

Laura said:
"Gone With the Wind" is a perfect movie. It also teaches a LOT about history AND psychology. It really is just perfect. Every scene perfect. The actors: perfect. The lines: perfect. The costumes: perfect.
(I know the book off by heart) No one could have played Scarlet and Rhett like Vivian Leigh and Clark Gable.
All those great characters like Melanie, Mammy.... great film.
Also loved To Kill a Mocking Bird, both film and book. Both Scout and Atticus were perfectly cast.

on the other hand..

i've seen 'The Fifth Element' over 30 times, the Matrix movies over 10 times each.
and i Loveee 'The Lord of the Rings' and everything Star wars.

I also really like To Kill A Mockingbird and It's A Wonderful Life in addition to Gone With the Wind. Maybe give them a try Gimpy, you might be pleasantly surprised. :D

transientP said:
Cloverfield. I hear it's shaky and useless.

What? of course a fictional movie like this is rarely useful. But Cloverfield, for the purpose that serves, action and anxiety, is one of the best.

Which movie I would never ever see? Thor... I mean, yeah, gods this and that and whatever but for being about a "superhero" it's boring.

And "The Green Mile", I mean that big guy just makes me want to cry every time I see his puppy sad face.

truth seeker said:
I also really like To Kill A Mockingbird and It's A Wonderful Life in addition to Gone With the Wind. Maybe give them a try Gimpy, you might be pleasantly surprised. :D

Hubby has a special edition of "To Kill a Mockingbird", that he watches now and then.

I won't have "Gone with the Wind" in the house. ;)

Laura said:

There's not a thing wrong with loving a movie enough to consider it perfect. :flowers: I can't think of a single one I love that much.

Laura said:

About history and psychology, it is how I look at movies from a long time, and even more today... As a Sherlock Holmes, my brain analyses systematically scenes, words, expressions, musics, everything which can give me explanations or knowledges when I look at a movie. It is a part of me from a long time to scrutinized... And sometimes I do not really want to see a particular movie, I do it if I suspect anything which could be understood or learned from it.

Regarding this specific movie "Gone with the Wind", I think it was my first theater movie, I saw it many times, and read also the book, by the way I agree with Laura, many comprehensions are within. Only the barrier of language prevents me to talk about it like I would like.

Prometeo said:
And "The Green Mile", I mean that big guy just makes me want to cry every time I see his puppy sad face.

Oh, The Green Mile. Yeah, that made me very sad, even made my heart to break. It also made me so angry that they still kill the guy, even though he's innocent.

There's an important quote that stood out for me from this film:

Paul Edgecomb: On the day of my judgment, when I stand before God, and He asks me why did I kill one of his true miracles, what am I gonna say? That it was my job? My job?

John Coffey: You tell God the Father it was a kindness you done. I know you hurtin' and worryin', I can feel it on you, but you oughta quit on it now. Because I want it over and done. I do. I'm tired, boss. Tired of bein' on the road, lonely as a sparrow in the rain. Tired of not ever having me a buddy to be with, or tell me where we's coming from or going to, or why. Mostly I'm tired of people being ugly to each other. I'm tired of all the pain I feel and hear in the world everyday. There's too much of it. It's like pieces of glass in my head all the time. Can you understand?

Paul Edgecomb: Yes, John. I think I can.

:cry: That part of the movie, is one of the best.

:O I think I'll break my rule, I want to see it again.

Re: Movies that you'll never watch again

transientP said:
i will never watch the movie Titanic. :cool2:

I didn't mind Titanic when I watched it at age 13. Though I'll admit that I was a Leonardo Dicaprio fan-girl back then and would watch anything with him in it. :P. But when I saw Titanic the first time, I cried for 3 days and had nightmares. It was an awful experience I would not care to repeat for any movie. So I don't think Titanic is a movie I'd sit though again either. And speaking of Titanic... I went to see Sherlock Holmes 2 the other night and saw an add for Titanic 3D :scared:. I'm not interested at all! But I find it's so interesting how they are making so many movies into 3D to make more money... it's stupid.

Gimpy said:
I won't have "Gone with the Wind" in the house. ;)

I also love Gone with the Wind. I've never read the books but thought the movie was amazing. I'm curious as to why you dislike it so much Gimpy? I've never met anyone who's hated that movie.

A Christmas Story is one of my favorite Christmas movies... it's a classic. And I also really enjoyed It's a Wonderful Life. As Truth Seeker said, you should give them a shot if you ever get a chance, you may really be pleasantly surprised. :)

I thoroughly recommend the book Gone With The Wind. I read it one weekend when I was 12 and gobbled it up in one go.
This book taught me, amongst many other things, that war is all about money, and that a lot of it is made by destroying as well as building up a state. I became very interested in American history.
The dialogues are unforgettable and extremely witty. You feel you know and understand the characters, their flaws, their strengths, because they are so well-drawn. It is a masterpiece, no question.
Both Harper Lee and Margaret Mitchell only wrote one novel, but what a contribution to literature!
Sorry, this thread is about movies you'll never watch again, so I'll leave it at that.

Yes, A Christmas Story and It's a Wonderful Life ARE classics. I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised, Gimpy. There's lots of heartwarming, humorous, and profound moments waiting for you. :) Of course, if you choose to watch them at some point. It's your choice and free will, after all. :)

Gimpy said:
Laura said:

There's not a thing wrong with loving a movie enough to consider it perfect. :flowers: I can't think of a single one I love that much.

I don't "love it", I just objectively realize that it is a perfect movie. Something can be perfect and still be harrowing. We've had a lot of interesting discussions in our family about narcissism, pathocracy, the stupidity of war (which is plainly depicted there), false personalities, (though we didn't call it that at the time), being strangers to the self, societal sickness, and more, just from watching that movie.

I've watched "Steel Magnolias" about 5 times because it reminds me of my childhood.

I watch "Tombstone" about once a year too...

I also love Gone with the Wind. I've never read the books but thought the movie was amazing. I'm curious as to why you dislike it so much Gimpy? I've never met anyone who's hated that movie.

This movie was discussed, argued over, and idolized by so many women in my life, that I saw no point in sitting through it. After reading up on the story, it was clear to me that it wasn't something I needed to see. Its like hearing a song played over and over on the radio....after a while, you change the channel. ;) In my case the song was repeated in theme so much I turned the radio off, having been burned out from all the noise. (And it was a LOT of noise, bordering on verbal abuse.)

I don't "love it", I just objectively realize that it is a perfect movie. Something can be perfect and still be harrowing. We've had a lot of interesting discussions in our family about narcissism, pathocracy, the stupidity of war (which is plainly depicted there), false personalities, (though we didn't call it that at the time), being strangers to the self, societal sickness, and more, just from watching that movie.

I've watched "Steel Magnolias" about 5 times because it reminds me of my childhood.

At this point in my life? I don't need to see it to understand what its about.

Prometeo said:
transientP said:
Cloverfield. I hear it's shaky and useless.

What? of course a fictional movie like this is rarely useful. But Cloverfield, for the purpose that serves, action and anxiety, is one of the best.

Which movie I would never ever see? Thor... I mean, yeah, gods this and that and whatever but for being about a "superhero" it's boring.

I actually found Thor to be completely different than what I expected-it was a little kitschy (well actually a LOT) however the premise that the "gods" were actually technologically advanced beings with hyper-spatial travel capabilities was interesting-kind of a spin on the "ancient astronaut" thing. It was mildly entertaining, and it was fun trying to see where it fit in to the old Norse legends

Back
Top Bottom