Movies that you'll never watch or watch again

Maat

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I'm not really sure if it is really the good place for this topic, but here I go and let the mods move it if needed.

I wanted to talk about movies that you swore you will never watch again, not because they are rubbish or stupid or just boring or uninteresting but because of the reaction it causes in you.

For me, there's only 2 movies in particular.

The first one is "The Last House on the Left" from Wes Craven (La dernière Maison sur la Gauche). For this one I know really why I'll never watch it again. It's just violence, rape, torture for totally free and don't expect any explanation at all. I mean, I watched it when I was in my horror movies stage, in my twenty. I haven't enjoy it at this time, too realistic probably. Years later, I felt the need to watch it again, seeking for answers I suspect. But nothing, just plain horror, psychopathy, sociopathy, scenes that you just wish you will never get into, all that you want but no answers at all. So, over with this one.

The second is totally different (or maybe not after all). It is "Breaking the Waves" (from Lars Von Tiers). I saw it 2 times too, and it was totally emotionnally overwhelming for me, even worse the second time I saw it. I cried a lot each time. And with this one too, I said to me "never again". But for this one, I don't really now my reason. Maybe it's the same as The Last House, just because it's plain horror without any explanation. I don't know...

So, I'm curious if you have seen this movies, what your reaction was and have you encounter something similar with other movies.

Re: Movies that you'll never watch again

hi Maat,
have you given up watching all horror movies friend? what about some of the non-gore classics ?

I read that 'last house on the left' had rape in it so i never went near it. I watched some of the early SAW movies and was dissapointed that the great philisophical moments involving the wise STS character in the movie were ruined by totally unecessary gore (cover my eyes). Wont watch Saw movies again.

A favourite movie i own is 'Hellraiser 2', but this movie has a 30 second moment in it that i will never watch again, involving a mental patient and a switchblade. Once again the wisdom of the STS character 'pinhead' in this movie is a good watch. (highly reccomend the first 2 movies in the Hellraiser series for the STS depictions).

have you given up watching all horror movies friend? what about some of the non-gore classics ?

Mostly, gore movies bother me now but I still enjoy some horror movies if I find some real matter in it, like Saw 1, as you mentionned (but not the others !) or things like 28 Days Later...

I read that 'last house on the left' had rape in it so i never went near it.

Yes, there is, so you do well !

No gore movies for me, either. And yeah, I went through a horror movie phase. The first one I ever saw (don't laugh here) was "King Kong vs. Godzilla." I was 13, and it scared me so bad I had to go to the lobby during some scenes. I was upset with myself for being such a baby and I think that was part of why I then proceeded to watch horror movies pretty regularly. I was trying to immunize myself, I guess.

But now, having seen that there is real horror in the world, and refusing to turn my eyes away from it and pretend it isn't there, I don't really want to watch any "extra horror" in any form. What's real is quite horrible enough and a real burden to carry.

Having said that, there are a few movies I don't want to watch again for various reasons. "The English Patient" is one. I've seen it twice, and both times, it was just agony.

Then, there's one that we watched only part of recently that was so awful I felt like I was going to jump out of my skin and we turned it off. "Beau Brummel". It was just stupid, meaningless, historically inaccurate.

There are, of course, many movies that I KNOW about, but have never watched because the whole premise of them is just a big turn-off: stuff like "Texas Chainsaw Massacre", "Friday the Thirteenth" and so on. I'd really gotten over my whole "horror movie" phase by the late 70s so anything that came after that, I just didn't watch.

or things like 28 Days Later...

I thought the "28 Days" series was beneficial in the way that it depicted fast moving zombies, something zombie movies didn't really contain before that. I remember being truly scared for the characters faced with intelligent, quick, contagious monsters that couldn't be simply ran away from like in previous films. Now when I worry about zombies, I try not make the mistake of underestimating their power/ speed. (and contagiousness).
As for a movie I won't watch again, how about "Monster" with Charlize Theron. Truly a tragic life, a tragic film, and tragically reality for a lot of women. I can't stand seeing a perfectly good person being "throwed away." That's the feeling I had at the end of it. She had been "throwed away" all her life. Its soul-smashing for me so to speak.

Maat said:

Mostly, gore movies bother me now but I still enjoy some horror movies if I find some real matter in it, like Saw 1, as you mentionned (but not the others !) or things like 28 Days Later...

I used to watch a great deal of horror movies as a kid (vampires, monsters, etc.) but some film series like Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street are just plain blood and gores. I saw Rob Zombie films (Devil's Rejects and House of 1000 Corpses) which I just could not stomach and had to leave. The first film of Saw is just bad enough that I couldn't stay through it, I left the theater in the middle of the film but my sister enjoyed it as well seven or eight more sequels. I don't watch horror/gore films any more nowadays - it just seems redundant and hardly worth it.

Like Laura, horror movies used to scare me to death. I don't like being scared of something as silly as a movie....so I started researching how scary movie effects were done. Once I learned a few things, then horror movies were an exercise in seeing how good the effects were, or if I could figure out how a scene was done, I'd watch one.

As a distancing technique, it wasn't bad. After about five run of the mill horror movies, it does get boring. My brother and his friends often watched bad horror movies and made fun of them, which could be very entertaining. It was like being in our own comedy club. :D Without them to see a horror movie with? I don't bother.

These days? I don't like gore, because its become a gimmick. If there's no point to it being there, why use it? The Saw movies can't decide what to be...a mystery, or a gore movie. The whole puzzle angle of the Saw movies struck me as secondary to the gore...I think the story would have been fine without that much blood. ("The Bone Collector" was a much better movie, by comparison.)

Are there movies I'll never watch again? Oh yes. Not all of them are horror movies, some are even considered sexy date movies...though you couldn't convince me they are.

Here's a few:

"The Generals Daughter" (with John Travolta) Why? Graphic rape and aftermath thereof.
"Ichi the Killer" (Asian gangster movie, graphic sadism and gore)(We thought it was one of the Blind Swordsman movies from the 60s)
"The Thing" (Though I did get the 'making of' book and read it...just can't watch it.)(Its the only monster movie I can't watch for the monster part.)
"Basic Instinct" (Didn't make it through ten minutes of this one. Will never see the rest.)
"Nine and a Half Weeks." (Just...yuck. This was a gift from someone, or I wouldn't have watched it. It ended up being re-gifted to someone who really wanted it.)

There are, of course, many movies that I KNOW about, but have never watched because the whole premise of them is just a big turn-off: stuff like "Texas Chainsaw Massacre"

I disgress just a little here to mention an interesting thing about Texas Chainsaw. If you ask anybody if it's a bloody movie, everybody will tell you Yess of course and me first. But the thing is, in fact, there's not a single drop of blood in this movie (or maybe just one in the beginning over the dead animal on the road, if I remember correctly), all is suggested. In this regard, Carpenter made a really good job and it's very interesting regarding our perceptions.

Maat said:
I disgress just a little here to mention an interesting thing about Texas Chainsaw. If you ask anybody if it's a bloody movie, everybody will tell you Yess of course and me first. But the thing is, in fact, there's not a single drop of blood in this movie (or maybe just one in the beginning over the dead animal on the road, if I remember correctly), all is suggested. In this regard, Carpenter made a really good job and it's very interesting regarding our perceptions.

Doesn't matter. Just juxtaposing the words "chainsaw" and "massacre" is a HUGE negative for me. I've seen chainsaw injuries and handled them a lot... not going there.

For me, it is the movie Splice. There are very few films that have made me slack jawed, but this one did it.

Clive and Elsa are a pair of brilliant scientists whose cutting-edge experiments in genetic engineering make them superstars in their field. As devoted to their careers as they are to one another, they start conducting unauthorized experiments with new animal species that show great promise. Drunk with their god-like powers, they introduce human DNA into one of their creations, producing a creature that is greater than the sum of its parts: a rapidly developing animal/human hybrid that may be a step up on the evolutionary ladder. While this female creature inspires maternal feelings in Elsa, she evokes something far-from-paternal in Clive, something that poses a threat to them all. Then, when this seemingly perfect organism makes a final, shocking metamorphosis, it is mankind itself that is threatened.

Laura said:
Maat said:

Doesn't matter. Just juxtaposing the words "chainsaw" and "massacre" is a HUGE negative for me. I've seen chainsaw injuries and handled them a lot... not going there.

Yes it's totally understable. It's only a creepy movie anyway, nothing else to expect of it. But the fact that everybody is seeing things that are simply not there had struck my mind when I heard about it (In the DVD, it was a commentary of Carpenter himself, or someone else, I'm not sure but it doesn't really matter). Sure I haven't figure that myself.

EmeraldHope said:
For me, it is the movie Splice.

Clive and Elsa are a pair of brilliant scientists whose cutting-edge experiments in genetic engineering make them superstars in their field. As devoted to their careers as they are to one another, they start conducting unauthorized experiments with new animal species that show great promise. Drunk with their god-like powers, they introduce human DNA into one of their creations, producing a creature that is greater than the sum of its parts: a rapidly developing animal/human hybrid that may be a step up on the evolutionary ladder. While this female creature inspires maternal feelings in Elsa, she evokes something far-from-paternal in Clive, something that poses a threat to them all. Then, when this seemingly perfect organism makes a final, shocking metamorphosis, it is mankind itself that is threatened.[/size]

May I ask what is the reason ? It's not a so bad movie for me.

Maat said:
EmeraldHope said:
For me, it is the movie Splice.

Clive and Elsa are a pair of brilliant scientists whose cutting-edge experiments in genetic engineering make them superstars in their field. As devoted to their careers as they are to one another, they start conducting unauthorized experiments with new animal species that show great promise. Drunk with their god-like powers, they introduce human DNA into one of their creations, producing a creature that is greater than the sum of its parts: a rapidly developing animal/human hybrid that may be a step up on the evolutionary ladder. While this female creature inspires maternal feelings in Elsa, she evokes something far-from-paternal in Clive, something that poses a threat to them all. Then, when this seemingly perfect organism makes a final, shocking metamorphosis, it is mankind itself that is threatened.

May I ask what is the reason ? It's not a so bad movie for me.

The sickness of the whole thing. The fact that Clive had sex with Dren before it morphed and then killed him and raped and impregnated his wife. The whole thing was creepy on I level that really bothered me and I have seen tons of horror movies. Gore is gore- this was twisted on a whole different level.

To be honest, I want to ask how it didn't bother you, especially the sex with a half human child he raised as his daughter who he tried to kill at one point, and then the insensitive killing of Clive ( its prior lover when female)before that thing changed into a male and raped its mommy? And it was really its mommy as it it her dna! I do understand that everyone is different though.

Yeah, I'm done with horror as well. And no gore here either. What Laura said about things being bad enough in the real world really hits home with me. Indeed, things are bad enough, no need to fantasise about more horror for me!

Maat said:
It is "Breaking the Waves" (from Lars Von Tiers). I saw it 2 times too, and it was totally emotionnally overwhelming for me, even worse the second time I saw it. I cried a lot each time.

Same here, and also watched it twice. I went through a Trier period but have since swore not to go near his movies ever again. Even his name gives me the creeps now. He seems to enjoy exploring suffering and decadence to the extreme, for the pure sake of it, without ever resolving it. I dunno, but I suppose that when you've experienced decadence and hurt the last thing you want is to shove your face in it again, and chew it over, and over, and over :/...

Edit: grammar and changed sentence

EmeraldHope said:
The sickness of the whole thing. The fact that CLive had sex with Dren before it morphed and then raped and impregnated his wife. he whole thing was creepy on I level that really bothered me and I have seen tons of horror movies. Gore is gore- this was twisted on a whole different level.

To be honest, I want to ask how it didn't bother you, especially the sex with a half human child he raised as his daughter who he tried to kill at one point, and then the insensitive killing of Clive ( its prior lover when female)before that thing changed into a male and raped its mommy? And it was really its mommy as it it her dna!

Well, I've forgotten this one in fact and now I understand your point !
I rather remembered the subject of "man made" creature and DNA manipulation. I think that the fact it seems so far away from our daily routine prevents me to feel involved. (hope it's clear, I'm not sure)

Back
Top Bottom