Grieving the loss of a dear feline friend

Nienna Eluch said:
Me either.

Me either. If you stop and think about it, depriving ourselves of all that love and companionship because we know that one day age will deprive us of all that love and companionship really wouldn't make a whole lot of sense?

Guardian said:
It's different when your special friend is taken unexpectedly like your kitty ....via accident, evil, whatever. No chance to say "goodbye" ...to thank them for all they've given us.

Grithy was sprayed in the face with anti-freeze. I did EVERYTHING I could to save him. They do have an antidote for antifreeze poisoning now, and I was able to get to an emergency vet that had some on a Sunday ...but he was already having seizures by the time we got there. I tried everything the best vets in two states could think of for months, had his entire blood volume removed and filtered in Durham, regular dialysis when his kidneys started to fail, etc. It was just too late, his organs started to fail one by one, giant tumors growing literally overnight. I probably put him through more than I should have before we finally gave up.....I just couldn't accept I was going to lose him. I was waiting for a miracle that never came.

He's the only animal companion I've ever lost for some reason other than old age....and it is VERY different. I am so sorry you are having to go through it :(

Oh, yes, it is quite different when unexpected...It is the shock on top of the grief. At first you just cannot believe it. That first night after his death, I dreamed that Rorschack was not really dead and that we had buried him alive.

Then, there is the additional feeling that if I had kept him indoors, he would be alive today. But, keeping a cat locked up seems too much like imprisonment to me. I have always valued quality over quantity of life and life in prison does not seem like quality to me. So, I live with the risk and pay the price when the unthinkable happens.

And, Guardian, I am so sorry to hear how Grithy died. I lost four cats to anti-freeze poisoning about 7 years ago - we think that there was an accidental spill by a neighbor (or perhaps even a purposeful poisoning). It is a horrible and painful death. We had the local newspaper write up an article on the dangers of anti-freeze (it takes less than a teaspoon to kill a cat) and to point out some of the less toxic products on the market now. Our vet (the best I have ever known) did his best to save our kitties to no avail. I think that was one of the most traumatic events I have ever experienced. It was the grief of loss, it was the shock of the unexpected, it was the pain of knowing they suffered. I'm not sure you can ever completely get over that kind of thing, either.

Al Today said:
Sometimes there can be a sort of communication that exists between 2D & 3D friends/companions that just cannot be put into words. I shy from saying between a pet and "it's" owner... Years of of friendship and companionship cannot be forgotten. When I utter their name they still live in my heart and mind...
:cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

Exactly!

I too, have always considered my cats/dogs to be friends, not pets or property. They are subjects, not objects.

Losing a pet that has been in your household for any significant amount time is truly painful and leaves a void in your family. My deepest condolences and I too hope it was as painless as possible for your feline.

Sorry for your loss FireShadow, my thoughts are with you.

We have 2 cats now 'April' and 'Roo'. They are both indoor/outdoor as we agree with you.

Woulda, coulda, shoudas will only eat at you if you let them. They may be the result of the predator's mind trying to suck more energy from you. Learn from it but move on.

'Sammy' our cat we had several years back, was attacked while outside by what we believe was either a raccoon or a possum. We tried for a couple weeks to save her with doctors, surgeries, medicines, etc. while a tube was inserted to continually drain one of the abscessed major wounds. But it was all to much for her and she passed. It was an emotionally difficult time.

Sammy was so gentle and curious that she probably walked right up to and surprised her attacker. Her nature that may have took her life is also what we remember most about her. She tried to be a friend to all. She never killed or brought 'presents'. She allowed mice to be right in front of her and tried to lift moths (yes lift, she never batted them it was more like getting her paw underneath and lifting up. It was astonishing to see)

We "coulda/shoulda" for a while afterwords and did not allow April outside. This only depressed April (and us) more (she couldn't find or play with Sammy when she wanted to). We finally felt we did the best we could and allowed April out because why punish her.

JH

Hi Fireshadow,

Sorry to hear such a bad news about your cat. I feel a especial love for cats
Though I have none I am sourradend by lots of homeless cats, which I
Feed every day.

Hi Fireshadow,

I'm new to the forum but I've also lost a beloved pet in the same way many years ago and was devestated by the loss. I blamed myself also for letting her out of my arms for a moment to play with her puppy friend accross the road, so I understand how you feel and offer my condolences also.

My heart goes out to you, because I just lost my cat. I'm sure you're kitty appreciates the love and care you gave him.

Nathancat7 said:
My heart goes out to you, because I just lost my cat. I'm sure you're kitty appreciates the love and care you gave him.

Sorry for your loss Nathancat7.

Nathancat7 said:

Sorry to hear this Nathancat7. My condolences on your loss.

James Henry said:
Sorry for your loss FireShadow, my thoughts are with you.

We have 2 cats now 'April' and 'Roo'. They are both indoor/outdoor as we agree with you.

Woulda, coulda, shoudas will only eat at you if you let them. They may be the result of the predator's mind trying to suck more energy from you. Learn from it but move on.

'Sammy' our cat we had several years back, was attacked while outside by what we believe was either a raccoon or a possum. We tried for a couple weeks to save her with doctors, surgeries, medicines, etc. while a tube was inserted to continually drain one of the abscessed major wounds. But it was all to much for her and she passed. It was an emotionally difficult time.

Sammy was so gentle and curious that she probably walked right up to and surprised her attacker. Her nature that may have took her life is also what we remember most about her. She tried to be a friend to all. She never killed or brought 'presents'. She allowed mice to be right in front of her and tried to lift moths (yes lift, she never batted them it was more like getting her paw underneath and lifting up. It was astonishing to see)

We "coulda/shoulda" for a while afterwords and did not allow April outside. This only depressed April (and us) more (she couldn't find or play with Sammy when she wanted to). We finally felt we did the best we could and allowed April out because why punish her.

JH

Exactly!

I want to thank all for the condolences. You all have been a comfort.

And Nathancat7, I am so sorry for your loss.

I think I can safely say that all the comfort offered to me here on this thread can also apply to you. There is more than enough compassion on this forum for all of us. And, I think that anyone who has ever lost a beloved 2D companion knows how you feel and would offer you comfort and condolences.

With Divine Cosmic Mind I bless you. It means the a lot to me that you and others on this thread care. I've seen a lot of animals in my life die, and I must say that without the proper outlets I haven't fully grieved, but rather become hardened. Hearing your kind words of comfort really help me, and probably Sherpa too(not speaking psychically or anything like that)--for he is a cosmic cat to me, thank-you.

I'm terribly sorry for your loss, i've only cried at two funerals that i've ever been to, one was my grandmothers, but the first was her dog, the first dog i ever knew. it can be hard at first to accept that they're gone from this world, but it helps to know that in your time together you can be sure they felt the love that was there. i hope you feel better soon.

Back
Top Bottom