Grieving the loss of a dear feline friend

I'm so sorry you lost your kitty. I know the grief you are feeling. When my kitty died, I took a bunch of pictures of her an made a collage... laughing and crying as I went. It's hard to lose such a close friend and family member.

I hope your kitty is kickin' back and resting in 5D :)

Thank you all for your kind words. I find comfort in them.

I have been hugging and petting the other kitties a lot since Rorschack's death. They must think I have gone batty! And, I have been lecturing them about cars and telling them to deal with it as I will probably continue for days to come...they just look at me of course. But they are patient and I love them all the more for it.

Interesting, I recently read an article on the social structure of cats. It mentioned that within a household, cats still have territories although they are small as in a favorite chair, etc. Rorschack had been on of our "couch kitties" along with 3 others. Another cat, Miss Pouffie, never got on the couch unless her human (my husband) was there to brush her. Since Rorschack's passing, Miss Pouffie has joined the "couch kitty" set and has been sleeping on the couch even when my husband is not there. It is like she has moved into Rorschack's place in the order of kitties here at my house.

I'm so sorry to hear about your beloved kitty, Fireshadow :cry: Our 2d pals are sorely missed when they leave us. Take care

I am really sorry for your loss! I know how painful that is. :cry:

Big Hug

Fireshadow, I am so sorry for your loss. I know just how painful it is to lose a precious 2D friend. And it will take a while for the pain to lessen, I know. But be happy in the fact that you have other little 2D friends that still need your love.

You and Rorschack are in my thoughts.

{{{HUGS}}}

So sorry to hear of your loss dear. It seems to be a special kind of pain when we loose a beloved pet. Our human loved ones we usually share with others, and to me that loss is so big and spread around; while the relationship we have our pets is small, intimate, with us everyday in our quiet alone moments, just between "us," and when they are gone it is like a hole inside--a loss that takes a while to heal. Let those hurt feelings come and go and flow away--your feelings of love will last and in time you will be at peace. Take care.
shellycheval

The Rainbow Bridge
inspired by a Norse legend

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,
Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
Where the friends of man and woman do run,
When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,
Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
On this golden land, they wait and they play,
Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,
Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,
Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
Together again, both person and pet.
So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,
Has turned into joy once more in each heart.
They embrace with a love that will last forever,
And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.

© 1998 Steve and Diane Bodofsky. All Rights Reserved.

shellycheval said:
So sorry to hear of your loss dear. It seems to be a special kind of pain when we loose a beloved pet. Our human loved ones we usually share with others, and to me that loss is so big and spread around; while the relationship we have our pets is small, intimate, with us everyday in our quiet alone moments, just between "us," and when they are gone it is like a hole inside--a loss that takes a while to heal. Let those hurt feelings come and go and flow away--your feelings of love will last and in time you will be at peace. Take care.
shellycheval

That is it exactly! Thank you for such an eloquent description.

I am feeling a bit better. The crying jags are less frequent and shorter in duration. I am beginning to get back into the "flow of life". My mind is not "shorting out" nearly as much.

I want to thank all who offered condolences, they were a comfort. Grief seems somehow easier to bear when you know that others care and empathize. I could feel that caring and it helped.

And Guardian, that poem "Rainbow Bridge" is beautiful...I like to think Rorschack is in a happier place. I like to think I will see Rorschack and all my other buddies again, one day. I have been blessed with some quite remarkable cats in my life. I have learned much from them and even though the grief is great when they pass, the rewards of sharing my life with them are far greater...they give us so much joy on a daily basis.

FireShadow said:
That is it exactly! Thank you for such an eloquent description.

I am feeling a bit better. The crying jags are less frequent and shorter in duration. I am beginning to get back into the "flow of life". My mind is not "shorting out" nearly as much.
symp_02_02.gif

Not much hurts more. It will take time, and I'm not sure if the feeling of loss every goes away completely? It's been a little over 3 years since I lost Grithorn.
http://www.pagan.com/Grith/

One of our tenants got a new puppy a couple weeks ago. A big ball of fluff she named "Griffin" She brought him down to visit, and I just busted out crying...had to excuse myself. I thought I was over it, but her new puppy looked so much like Grithy, and the name was so close...I just couldn't help it.

I know what you mean, Guardian. My Cleo passed about 10 years ago, and I will occasionally be in a situation that reminds me of her and yes, I still miss her. But the intensity, frequency, and duration is lessened over time. It becomes more manageable and less obstructive to daily life. For such small creatures, they certainly have an impact on us! They have a way of getting right into our hearts. And even though the grief is difficult when they pass, I would not trade my time with them for all the world,

FireShadow said:
I know what you mean, Guardian. My Cleo passed about 10 years ago, and I will occasionally be in a situation that reminds me of her and yes, I still miss her. But the intensity, frequency, and duration is lessened over time. It becomes more manageable and less obstructive to daily life. For such small creatures, they certainly have an impact on us! They have a way of getting right into our hearts. And even though the grief is difficult when they pass, I would not trade my time with them for all the world,

Me either.

Sometimes there can be a sort of communication that exists between 2D & 3D friends/companions that just cannot be put into words. I shy from saying between a pet and "it's" owner... Years of of friendship and companionship cannot be forgotten. When I utter their name they still live in my heart and mind...
:cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

FireShadow said:

Yeah...it's like the price we pay for all that love. We know that they won't (under normal circumstances) live as long as we do...and we have to accept that, but it's SO HARD when the time actually comes...most especially when you're not expecting it. My companion before Grithy was a big floppy mutt named "Chessie" I still think of him whenever I see a doggie that looks similar, but his passing was easier for me. I think because he had a very long life for a big dog...just one month shy of 18 when he decided to go. I had time to prepare, like we both knew we were spending our last days together. Same for Freya....14 1/2 is old for a Doberman. My two kitties before Spot, Loki and Lamia were raised together, and died in their sleep two weeks apart, Loki was 22 and Lamia was 21. I always knew they would leave at about the same time. It HURT...but there was no unnatural shock. I think we can mentally prepare for the inevitable as they age?

It's different when your special friend is taken unexpectedly like your kitty ....via accident, evil, whatever. No chance to say "goodbye" ...to thank them for all they've given us.

Grithy was sprayed in the face with anti-freeze. I did EVERYTHING I could to save him. They do have an antidote for antifreeze poisoning now, and I was able to get to an emergency vet that had some on a Sunday ...but he was already having seizures by the time we got there. I tried everything the best vets in two states could think of for months, had his entire blood volume removed and filtered in Durham, regular dialysis when his kidneys started to fail, etc. It was just too late, his organs started to fail one by one, giant tumors growing literally overnight. I probably put him through more than I should have before we finally gave up.....I just couldn't accept I was going to lose him. I was waiting for a miracle that never came.

He's the only animal companion I've ever lost for some reason other than old age....and it is VERY different. I am so sorry you are having to go through it :(

Back
Top Bottom