Fires around the world

Regarding the Canada fires:

This reminded me about the extreme fires Greece experienced aprox 2 years ago; when I asked fellow greek crew members they were suspecting "foul play" involved in their country.

I'm not sure whether you're referring to 2021 but indeed arson was suspected in a significant number of the fires, and not just in Greece, but across Europe - there's this artcle on SOTT : Arsonists responsible for devastating fires in Greece, Italy, Turkey - reports -- Sott.net

From the article there's this quote that highlights how this has been a problem as far back as 2017:
Back in 2017:
"It's arson according to an organized plan," Justice Minister Stavros Kontonis, who is the MP for Zakythnos, told state TV when asked to comment on the dozen fires burning on the island. "There is no doubt about it."

As for this year, i was recently told that in some regions of the UK it has been unusually dry (the North West, as one example), that the grass is already brown and 'dead', and that at least a few of the smaller fires were caused by people leaving small BBQs out; an activity that has become popular in the last decade or so with the affordability of the disposable BBQs.

Whatever the cause of ignition, it seems that conditions in some regions are ripe for fire; what's causing those conditions and whether it's abnormal, i can't say. It could be that there's less rain, or a lack of consistent rain over certain periods, perhaps even the strength of the sun is playing its part?

I came across the following article, published yesterday, about the alleged increased risk of wildfires in Ireland that i thought was kind of interesting:

Wildfire warning amid fears over tinder-like conditions nationwide​

Streedagh Beach Sligo

Streedagh Beach Sligo
Ralph Riegel
Yesterday at 18:04

TINDER-like conditions in Ireland's forests, beaches and mountain sides prompted a major fire safety warning as a forecast of rainfall this weekend won't sufficiently dampen a parched countryside.

The warning came as Galway fire brigade battled to control a major gorse fire in the Rahoon-Boleybeg area - and required units from both Galway city and Athenry to prevent the blaze from spreading.

Concerns over the potential spread of the blaze in the tinder-like conditions were so great that fire officials used drones to assess the direction and speed of the blaze.

The Galway fire came just 24 hours after Cork fire brigade raced to control a similar gorse blaze in Kilmurry - and a large dune fire erupted in Maharees in Kerry.

Tralee fire brigade were praised for their speed in stopping that fire from spreading within the delicate dune ecosystem.

However, a substantial area of the famous sand dunes were left badly scorched.

One theory now being investigated is that the Kerry dune fire may have been started by a carelessly discarded cigarette.

Both Coillte and the National Parks and Wildlife Service pleaded with people enjoying the outdoors to be careful of fire risks - and never to light barbecues or have open fires in public places.

Cork and Kerry have already reported almost a 200pc increase in the numbers of gorse blazes being dealt with in the space of just 12 months.
The most serious gorse fires occurred in west Cork last February.

Up to 20 separate gorse fires - used to clear land for farming purposes - merged and threatened to entirely engulf parts of the Mizen
and Mt Gabriel overlooking the west Cork village of Schull.

Dry conditions and strong winds fanned the fires into an inferno which swept around one mountain and even threatened a strategic Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) air traffic control hub.

NPWS director general Niall O Donnchú appealed for people to be aware of fire risks and the potentially catastrophic consequences of such uncontrolled blazes given the current parched nature of the ground.

"We still need to enlist the public's help to protect nature at this high risk time," he said.

"We ask that members of the public not light fires or barbecues in any national parks or nature reserves, or indeed in nature generally. We are also asking that the public be vigilant and report any fire activity without delay.”

The appeal came as Uisce Éireann admitted that the rainfall forecast for the next three days may not be significant enough to sufficiently boost under-pressure reservoirs and water systems.

Over 20 reservoirs and water systems are now officially in drought status.

[bearing in mind reservoirs have been poorly maintained and usage increases yearly and so they're probably are not an accurate reflection of actual rainfall]

Some 24 of Met Éireann's 25 principle weather stations are currently observing absolute droughts lasting between 15 and 23 days - a drought being defined as a period of 15 or more consecutive days with daily rainfall of less than 0.2mm.

[it's surprised me that this is the definition of a drought - specific to the region?]

The longest absolute droughts of 2023 are ongoing at four stations in Wexford, Dublin and Carlow with 23 consecutive days of minimal rainfall since the Riviera-like conditions began in May.

All 25 of Met Éireann stations are now experiencing official dry periods of between 15 and 26 days - a spell not experienced by Ireland since 2018.
Uisce Éireann warned that water conservation was now critical over the coming weeks given the potential of a further dry spell from late June into July having a significant impact on national water resources.

A total of 21 of Ireland's 711 water treatment plants are currently battling drought conditions.

[that's not so bad?]

Uisce Éireann's asset operations manager Tom Cuddy warned householders and businesses that water conservation was now critical over the coming days and weeks.

"With no significant rainfall forecast in the short term, we can all play our part in ensuring there is enough water for everyone as we go through the summer. Even small changes can make a significant difference."

Met Éireann's Mark Bowe said the Mediterranean-like weather spell was about to end with showers and very warm, humid conditions likely over the weekend.
"Friday will start off fine and mostly dry with a light to moderate easterly breeze. A few morning showers will develop across parts of the south, drifting into the west later," he said.

"More clouds will build later in the afternoon with highest temperatures of 18C to 25C."

Friday and Saturday nights will prove very warm and humid, with some areas proving uncomfortably humid with overnight temperatures as high as 16C.
"Saturday will be generally cloudy with scattered showers moving up from the south to many parts through the morning and afternoon, reaching the north later in the evening. Some of these showers may be heavy."

"There will be hazy sunshine likely ahead of the showers. It will be warm with highest temperatures of between 20C to 25C."

"Sunday will see a mixture of cloud and scattered showers but there will be some sunny spells at times and highest temperature of 20C to 24C."

Next week is likely to open with similar conditions of clouds, patches of rain and spells of sunshine.

Temperatures will remain high with the potential to reach 25C or even 26C.

Someone sent me a video from tiktok of a drone causing some of the fires. Unfortunately, it didn't state when, where and who took the video. I was going to post it but just noticed it's been taken down and all the comments have disappeared. But here in Southern Ontario we've had haze and the smell of burning wood in the air for the past two days.
I have heard of the following fire extinguishing technique. Deliberately setting fire in an opposite direction to the main fireside/firewall. Not sure about efficiency...🧐

Is this for real? Wait until winter? Then the US CDC announces indoor air guidance for COVID-19 after 3 years - Coronavirus Pandemic thread sounds good, to change the filter almost every 10 minutes.

From a Canadian firefighter who knows what’s going on:
#canada #wildfire #smoke
(Worth the read)

“I know you may know, but people need to know and understand that most Canada wildfire firemanagement agencies have fire “zonation” policies similar to Alaska.

This means in large areas of their jurisdictions, especially in the northern part of the country, wildfires are left to run there natural course w little or no direct action or suppression. We’ll protect values at risk, ie. infrastructure, communities, critical habitat or culturally significant features on the landscape, we’ll map them and maybe try to burn them to natural barrier, fight one flank and let the rest roll (limited action) but we are not putting them out.

On many of the fires we don’t even try. A number of these fires are huge boreal gobblers (I am currently assigned to a 250,000 ha fire, well over 600,000 acres and you could fit the org. chart on one side of a beer can).

The only thing that is going to put out this fire out and many across the country is winter, 5 months from now. It’s going to be a long, smoky summer for everyone. You have a wide reach, it would be great if you can help people understand these dynamics in the Canadian wildfire scene when they’re bitching about the smoke.

Cheers 🍻 and thanks.”

Pretty decent picture of what’s going on. Thanks for the insight.

In the industry we call this letting a fire “Do its thing”. It’s especially common in these vast boreal forests. Siberia does the same thing. Identify hazards and values at risk, mitigate, let it go.

Massive fire in several stores in Hertog van Beijerenstraat, Ter Aar, South Holland Evacuations are ongoing.

On the Hertog van Beijerenstraat in Ter Aar, fire broke out in a timber trade on Friday evening. The fire has spread to several business premises. A large cloud of smoke is visible for miles around.

The fire broke out around 9:30 p.m. in the timber yard. The fire developed quickly, scaling the fire to ‘very large fire’.

The fire brigade is present with a lot of material, but more units are on their way. Firefighters from all over the region have been called.

Many explosions are heard. These are caused by gas cylinders, reports the security region. Part of the building has since collapsed. Police evacuate the area around the fire.

A large plume of smoke moves in the direction of Woubrugge. The smoke could also be seen in Amstelveen and Leiden, according to Twitter. The police advises residents to keep windows and doors closed and to stay out of the smoke.

Massive fire in several stores in Hertog van Beijerenstraat, Ter Aar, South Holland Evacuations are ongoing.
There is something else that media wont say.

#fire #Teraar
Roof full of #solar panels
Very sustainable! How much #poison into the air! How harmful is that to humans, animals and crops? #NewAsbestos #nitrogen #climate #environment

Note, for some reason this twitt cannot be previwed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230609_224610.jpg
    Screenshot_20230609_224610.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 4
Speaking of solar panels, someone I know installed panels on her roof and used one of her emf readers and the numbers where outrageously high! Now she's involved in buying equipment to bring her exposure levels down which has improved the radiation but still its above healthy levels. I have never heard of this health risk before.
There is something else that media wont say.

#fire #Teraar
Roof full of #solar panels
Very sustainable! How much #poison into the air! How harmful is that to humans, animals and crops? #NewAsbestos #nitrogen #climate #environment

Regarding the Canada fires:

This reminded me about the extreme fires Greece experienced aprox 2 years ago; when I asked fellow greek crew members they were suspecting "foul play" involved in their country.

Here is the latest from Dutchsense on the fires 6/7/2023. Many of the fires in Canada are at the sites of oil wells or natural gas. He also explains the possibility that the fires could be a response to the North American Crayton plate shifting which also corresponds to earth quakes/fires that are happening in the US, Canada and Mexico, some at volcanos.

Although he questions whether the Canadian fires are sabotage in the video above, here he questions movements in the plate which is interesting.

Speaking of solar panels, someone I know installed panels on her roof and used one of her emf readers and the numbers where outrageously high! Now she's involved in buying equipment to bring her exposure levels down which has improved the radiation but still its above healthy levels. I have never heard of this health risk before.
Yes, unfortunately. But it's the inverter unit and smart meter, not the panels themselves.

Interesting perspective from David Dubyne regarding the fires:

UNINSURABLE FUTURE (1/2)​

I tend to agree with him, to displace the people from rural areas to the city.

Someone here trying to connect a couple of dots. Thought it was interesting.
Ammonium nitrate is the stuff (chemical fertilizer) said to have exploded in the massive Beirut blast of August 20, 2020.

1686505173497.png

It appears to be true that 30 tons of ammonium nitrate went missing in April 2023. Don't know if it was recovered.

Produces red-orange smoke:

And, of course, we have this fertilizer shortage.

Last edited:
Someone here trying to connect a couple of dots. Thought it was interesting.

What is this 3,000 km reference to, from where to where (putting aside ANFO)?

Heavy smoke from wildfires (or volcano ash), couple with refracted sunlight can produce just such a sight. Can be common with the right density of smoke/ash and elevations.

When Mount St. Helens blew its lit, up in Canada (Alberta) the sky was just that color after going outside following the event for a few days (it was less than 3,000 kms. away).

Have a read here:

snip:
If the fire is far away, such as in California or Canada, the smoke can get high into the atmosphere, high above an otherwise clear sky. As the sun sets, the smoke, along with high, wispy clouds, will reflect the red and orange light back to the ground, intensifying the sunset and the twilight sky.

Back
Top Bottom