Elderberries Block Flu Virus From Attaching To and Entering Human Cells

One article stated:

"Elderberry can increase the effects of diuretics or diabetes medications. It can also support or boost the immune system. While that’s usually a good thing, if you have an overactive immune system, an autoimmune disorder or you’re taking medications to suppress your immune system, elderberry could pose a problem."

Not sure if that has been mentioned previously, or of its validity.

I'm guessing they cited no source at all.

Sounds to me like somebody said that in order to sell their own product.

I thought I'd add my experience with elderberries too. I boiled around 3 handfuls of them in 2 litres of water for 45 minutes. Half of the water evaporated as I forgot to close the lid properly, so the concoction was quite strong.

I had a glass of it the next day, I blended the berries with the tea but I only gave them a quick spin in the blender, maybe 3 seconds or so. I noticed this separated the flesh of the berries from the seeds inside. The seeds were at the bottom of the glass when I finished my drink.

I felt very well the entire day, no issues whatsoever. Encouraged by this I decided to have another glass of my tea in the evening. This time I left the blended on for a good minute or more. The seeds became liquidised and the drank the whole thing.

This turned out to be a big mistake.

It made me really nauseous and little of that tea was left in my stomach within the next hour (to avoid being too graphic). I also had a terrible and sleepless night, let's just say that the laxative effect wasn't mild, as per Laura's post. My digestive system didn't calm down until around midday the next day and I felt really weak and thirsty all day.

My diet is quite boring and repetitive, I don't take any supplements apart from vitamin C and iodine (recently resumed at low doses) anymore. I mostly eat the same things so I can confirm there was nothing else that could have caused that reaction.

I guess the seeds may need more boiling time - or simply shouldn't be consumed at all. They're really tough, high temperature may have not fully penetrated inside them.

If my experience is anything to go by, then unless someone is up for a colonic cleanse I'd suggest avoiding eating whole elderberries :shock: The tea seems to be a safer option. They're quite potent too, based on Laura's recipe I added too much dried fruit to my tea. Maybe that's why it didn't tase too nice. Kind of like berry tea mixed with raw potato juice.
Poor you. Are you ok no? Thanks for the advice.

I searched a little and I found that flower extract contains phytoestrogens.

It is an interesting paper; it is describing how can phytoestrogen from eldeberry flovers possibly help to fight breast cancer cells.
Elder flower (Sambucus nigra) is a historically-significant herbal medicinal plant used for centuries as a cold remedy. It is used as a general nutritive tonic and due to its strong taste as a flavor enhancer in meals and beverages. Elder extracts possess significant antioxidant activity and have been shown to impair angiogenesis (the formation and differentiation of blood vessels). The anthocyanins present in elderberries protect vascular epithelial cells against oxidative insult, and reduce low-density lipoprotein (LDL) and cholesterol, therefore, preventing vascular disease [21]. Elder extracts boost cytokine production [22]. The influenza A virus subtype H1N1 inhibition activities of the elder flavonoids compare favorably to the known anti-influenza activities of oseltamivir and amantadine [23]. The terpenes extracted from elder flower show notably strong antimicrobial effects in vitro upon methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus [24]. Moreover elder flower could improve bone properties by inhibiting the process of bone resorption and stimulating the process of bone formation.
Older article which appeared on Sott in 2012 also connects cytokines with depression:
When we have a flu or an infection or we are stressed, our immune cells produce molecules (pro-inflammatory cytokines) to help us fight if off. While these signaling molecules activate our immune system, they also act upon the brain, making us feel sick. When our immune systems continues to be activated for long periods of time, such as occurs during chronic stress, the effects of cytokines on the brain can worsen this feeling of sickness and lead to the symptoms of depression. Inflammation may be an important way in which life's overwhelming events and unresolvable stresses culminate in depression.

Kresser also mentions Elderberry and Licorice Root among other things for colds and flu.

Things like: Andrographis, Manuka Honey, Propolis, Colostrum, Chinese Skullcap, Echinacea, Elderberry, Garlic, Ginger, Houttuynia, Licorice, Lomatium, Mushrooms, Probiotics, Olive leaf, Red Root, Selenium, Vitamins A, D and C, Zinc

1. Andrographis: To Reduce Duration
Andrographis (Andrographis paniculata) is an herbaceous plant native to India and Sri Lanka. It is a primary herb for the treatment of fever and infectious illnesses in both traditional Chinese medicine and Ayurvedic medicine.

The antimicrobial and immune-enhancing properties of andrographis have garnered significant scientific attention, and research has shown that this botanical is a powerful ally in the treatment of colds and flu. When taken within the first 36 to 48 hours of illness, andrographis can significantly reduce the severity and duration of upper respiratory infections. (8) Andrographolide, a primary compound derived from andrographis, may also inhibit influenza virus replication and reduce virus-induced inflammation, the cause of multiple flu symptoms such as fatigue and muscle soreness. (9, 10) In fact, these beneficial properties have made andrographis a popular remedy in Europe for the treatment of influenza. (11)

Because the available research on andrographis is variable in terms of extracts and dosages used, it is difficult to determine the optimal dosage for treating colds and flu. (12) However, the lower end of the dosage range used in clinical trials is 400 mg of andrographis (standardized for andrographolide content) three times per day, and the upper end is 1,000 to 2,000 mg three times per day. Andrographis at these dosages is intended for short-term use.

2. Honey: For Coughs and to Speed Recovery
Honey promotes recovery from viral respiratory infections. Manuka honey, a type of honey produced by bees that feed on the nectar of the New Zealand tea tree, inhibits flu virus replication. (It also boosts the effectiveness of certain antiviral drugs used for the treatment of influenza—the prescription drug Tamiflu is one example.) (13, 14) Honey has also been shown to be more effective than dextromethorphan and diphenhydramine, the most common active ingredients in OTC cough medicines, at improving nightly cough and sleep quality in children with upper respiratory infections. (15)

Methylglyoxal (MGO) is the primary anti-influenza ingredient in Manuka honey. When selecting Manuka honey for medicinal uses, look for the “MGO” label on the jar—it should state a minimum MGO content of 83. The higher the MGO rating, the higher the level of antiviral activity of the honey.

3. Propolis: To Speed Recovery
Propolis is a resinous mixture produced when bees mix their saliva and beeswax with secretions gathered from tree buds and other botanical sources. Bees use propolis to protect their community from bacterial, fungal, and viral pathogens, essentially making propolis the “immune system” of the hive. It turns out that the “immune system” of the beehive also benefits the human immune system. Propolis contains polyphenolic compounds with anti-influenza activity and, when administered nasally, may significantly accelerate recovery from the common cold. (16, 17)

To accelerate recovery from colds and flu, begin with one tablespoon of high-MGO Manuka honey per day. Complement this with a propolis throat spray, such as this one by Beekeeper’s Naturals.

4. Bovine Colostrum: For Prevention
Bovine colostrum is the first milk produced a cow following the birth of a calf. It has a similar structure to human colostrum and proffers comparable immune-boosting benefits. In fact, bovine colostrum has been found to be effective at preventing the flu and it significantly reduces the number of episodes and hospitalizations for respiratory infections in children. (18, 19) You can purchase bovine colostrum as a powder or capsule; just choose a supplement from grass-fed, hormone-free, and antibiotic-free cows to ensure that you are getting the healthiest product possible.

5. Chinese Skullcap: For Prevention and Treatment
Chinese skullcap (Scutellaria baicalensis) is an antiviral that’s often effective against drug-resistant and nonresistant strains of influenza and cold-causing viruses. (20, 21) It’s been shown to stop viruses from reproducing, inhibit proteins present on influenza viruses that facilitate their adhesion to cells, suppress viral gene expression, protect cell membranes from virus-associated inflammation, and boost immunity.

The root extract of Chinese skullcap can be taken for colds and flu in tincture form at a dose of one-fourth to one-half teaspoon three times daily or as one teaspoon of powdered root three to six times a day. Chinese skullcap should not be taken during pregnancy and should be used with caution if you are taking any medications because it can increase the bioavailability of the drugs, intensifying their effects on the body.

6. Echinacea: For Prevention and Treatment
Echinacea refers to a group of herbaceous flowering plants in the daisy family native to Eastern and Central North America. Historically, Native Americans used echinacea to treat severe infections; today, the anti-infective properties of echinacea have been demonstrated by several clinical trials.

In one trial, 755 subjects were given either Echinacea purpurea or placebo for four months; those in the echinacea group experienced a significantly reduced occurrence of virally confirmed cold episodes. (22) A second clinical trial found echinacea to be as effective as the antiviral drug oseltamivir (Tamiflu) for the early treatment of influenza virus infections. However, unlike oseltamivir, echinacea does not run the risk of inducing antiviral drug resistance. (23)

Echinacea can be consumed as a tea or tincture or in capsules. If you take echinacea in a liquid form (tea or tincture), retain the dose in your mouth for approximately 10 seconds before swallowing to boost the local antiviral effects on oral tissues. (24)

7. Elderberry: To Shorten Duration and Treat Symptoms
The small, dark purple berries of the elderberry plant have a long history of use for the treatment of colds and flu. Elderberry extracts alleviate cold and flu symptoms and can significantly shorten the duration of illness by two to four days. (25, 26) Elderberry may battle cold and flu viruses by increasing serum antioxidant capacity.

Elderberry syrup is a time-honored and palatable method for consuming elderberry and can be taken in a dosage of 15 mL four times a day until cold and flu symptoms abate. Elderberry lozenges are another option that also frequently contain other immune-supportive ingredients, such as zinc. Elderberry is safe to consume during pregnancy and has no known drug interactions.

8. Garlic: For Prevention and to Reduce Severity
The humble garlic bulb has quite a colorful history—in medieval times, garlic was worn on the body to ward off the “evil eye” and hung in homes to protect against supernatural entities believed to cause illness. Today, it has become clear that these superstitions held a grain of truth; while garlic may not ward off the evil eye or malicious spirits (or vampires), it does help to protect against disease-causing agents, including viruses.

Allicin, a compound released when a garlic clove is crushed, smashed, or chopped, has been shown to boost immunity against cold-causing viruses. (27) Aged garlic extract, a preparation that lacks the pungent scent of fresh garlic, may reduce cold and flu severity by enhancing the function of immune cells and reducing virus-induced inflammation. (28, 29)

The dose of aged garlic extract used in clinical trials for colds and flu is approximately 2.5 g per day. The optimal dosages of fresh and dried garlic for colds and flu have not been determined, but clinical trials examining the broad-spectrum antimicrobial properties of garlic have used dosages between 600 and 1,200 mg per day.

9. Ginger: For Prevention and Treatment
In China and Japan, ginger is a key supportive ingredient in traditional herbal formulas for treating the common cold. Scientific research indicates that fresh ginger may have antiviral activity against certain viruses that infect the respiratory system. (30)

To get the maximum antiviral benefits of ginger, I recommend making the following ginger tea recipe:

1. Juice 1 to 2 pounds of ginger; place juice in a jar and refrigerate.
  2. Place 2 to 4 ounces of ginger juice in a mug with the juice of one-half lemon and a large tablespoon of honey. I recommend Beekeeper’s Naturals honey. Add one-eighth teaspoon of cayenne pepper and 6 ounces of hot water.
  3. Drink 2 to 6 cups of this a day, sipping slowly throughout the day.
10. Houttuynia: For Prevention and Treatment
Houttuynia cordata is a traditional Chinese herb active against multiple respiratory viruses, including influenza. It can be taken in a tincture or as a powdered dry herb. For viral respiratory infections, the recommended dose of tincture is one-fourth to one-half teaspoon six times per day or one-half teaspoon three to six times daily for the dried herb.

11. Licorice: For Prevention and Treatment
Licorice root (Glycyrrhiza glabra) is a botanical medicine with broad-spectrum antiviral properties. Glycyrrhizin, the sweet-tasting constituent of licorice root, can inhibit the replication of influenza virus while also reducing virus-associated inflammation. (31)

Licorice can be taken in tincture form at a dosage of 30 to 60 drops up to three times a day or in capsules at a dosage of 4 g per day in two to three divided doses. Licorice should not be taken in large doses or for long periods during pregnancy because it may have harmful effects on the unborn child. The phytochemicals in licorice root also have blood pressure-raising and mild estrogenic effects, so it should not be taken for more than 10 days by people with hypertension, hypokalemia, hypernatremia, or low testosterone levels.

12. Lomatium: For Treatment
Lomatium is a member of the carrot family native to western North America. While studies on the antiviral activity of Lomatium are scarce, the herb has a long history of use by Native American peoples for the treatment of infections. Anecdotally, herbalists have found lomatium useful for treating several types of influenza.

Lomatium should not be taken during pregnancy. Some people may experience a rash, which seems to be harmless, upon ingestion of lomatium. According to herbalist Stephen Harrod Buhner, the rash is typically dark red or purplish in color, covers the whole body, causes little to no itching or discomfort, and disappears in about a week’s time. Using lomatium as part of a mixture of herbs, rather than on its own, may prevent the rash.

13. Medicinal Mushrooms: For Prevention
Medicinal mushrooms are all the rage right now, and for a good reason: they have a broad spectrum of health benefits, including helping the immune system respond to viruses. Glucan, a polysaccharide found in medicinal mushrooms, enhances the immune response against the influenza virus. (32) Glucans are found in chaga, Cordyceps, reishi, and shiitake mushrooms.

Medicinal mushroom extracts are available in many different forms, including tinctures, capsules, and teas.

14. Probiotics: For Prevention
According to recent research, a healthy gut microbiota is crucial for initiating an appropriate immune response to the influenza virus. (33)

Fermented foods and probiotics that introduce beneficial bacteria to the gut are potent tools for preventing and fighting cold and flu viruses. A recent study found that when adults who suffered from frequent colds were supplemented with Lactobacillus paracasei, Lactobacillus casei, and Lactobacillus fermentum for 12 weeks, they experienced a significant reduction in the number of upper respiratory infections. (34) Eating lacto-fermented yogurt has also been found to reduce the risk of catching a common cold in healthy elderly individuals. (35)

In an animal study, mice were given Lactobacillus casei isolated from kimchi, a staple fermented vegetable dish in Korean cuisine. The mice treated with L. casei experienced reduced weight loss after virus infection and lower levels of viral replication in their lungs. (36)

Unfortunately, catching the flu does have some harmful effects on the gut; flu-infected patients experience reductions in intestinal microbiota diversity and increases in opportunistic E. coli and Enterococcus faecium. Taking Lactobacillus probiotics and eating lacto-fermented foods may help prevent or reduce these adverse effects.

15. Olive Leaf: For Prevention
Olive leaf contains three polyphenols—a type of micronutrient found in plant-based foods—with potent antiviral properties. Olive leaf extract changes the membrane of the influenza virus, preventing it from attaching to and penetrating cells. (37, 38)

Olive leaf can be taken in the form of a tincture, capsules, or tea. The typical dosage range is 500 to 1,000 mg per day.

16. Red Root: For Treatment
Red root (Ceanothus americanus) is native to the Americas. While there hasn’t been much scientific study on red root, the deep red tincture and tea extracted from its roots have long been used for treating respiratory infections.

In his excellent book Herbal Antivirals: Natural Remedies for Emerging and Resistant Viral Infections, herbalist Stephen Harrod Buhner provides a recipe for an herbal immune tonic that includes red root and several of the other antiviral botanicals I’ve mentioned above.

Here’s the formula for the immune-tonic combo:

1. Mix two parts lomatium, two parts red root, two parts licorice, and one part isatis (all in tincture form).
  2. Take 30 to 60 drops mixed with 1 to 2 ounces of water each hour until condition improves. You may have trouble finding some of these botanicals locally, but you can get them fairly easily online.
17. Selenium: For Prevention
Selenium helps to balance and regulate the immune system and is crucial in optimizing your defenses against cold and flu viruses. Selenium deficiency has been found to cause the flu virus to mutate into more virulent forms, but replenishment of this trace mineral can improve the immune response to viral respiratory infections. (39, 40)

During cold and flu season, feel free to take 200 mcg of selenium three to four days a week. However, beyond the flu season, I don’t recommend supplementing with selenium long term because continuous selenium supplementation has been associated with an increased risk of prostate cancer in men. Instead of supplementing outside of cold and flu season, optimize your intake of selenium-rich foods such as:

• Brazil nuts
  • Cremini mushrooms
  • Shiitake mushrooms
  • Cod
  • Shrimp
  • Tuna
  • Halibut
  • Scallops
  • Chicken
  • Eggs
  • Lamb
  • Turkey
18. Vitamins A and D: For Prevention
Vitamins A and D work synergistically to support your immune health. In fact, host resistance and susceptibility to influenza infection appear to depend importantly on the ratio of vitamin D to vitamin A activity in the body. (41) Extra-virgin cod liver oil is an excellent source of vitamins A and D in the proper ratio for promoting optimal immune function.

19. Vitamin C: To Reduce Duration
Over the years, there has been much debate over whether vitamin C is useful for treating colds and the flu. A recent meta-analysis of studies concluded that extra doses of vitamin C taken at the onset of a cold significantly reduce its duration. (42) During cold and flu season, consider taking 1,000 to 4,000 mg of supplemental vitamin C per day. I recommend a liposomal vitamin C because it is rapidly absorbed and highly bioavailable.

20. Zinc: To Reduce Duration
Zinc is another immune-boosting nutrient that many people don’t get enough of in their diets. According to a review of trials that assessed the body of literature on zinc for the common cold, zinc administered within the first 24 hours of a cold can significantly reduce the duration and severity of symptoms. (43) I recommend taking 30 mg per day of zinc picolinate or zinc gluconate at the first sign of a cold to speed up your recovery.

For the Best Effect, Live a Healthy Lifestyle, Too
While the natural remedies I’ve mentioned above are excellent cold and flu fighters, they should be combined with healthy, ancestral lifestyle choices to achieve the greatest impact.
Getting high-quality sleep, reducing your stress, and eating a nutrient-dense, whole-foods diet will do wonders to support your recovery from a cold or the flu.

Get Plenty of Sleep
Getting plenty of sleep is essential for recovering from colds and flu, as well as preventing their onset. Insufficient sleep and poor sleep quality are associated with reduced resistance to the common cold; this effect undoubtedly holds true for the flu as well, since sleep deprivation compromises immunity. (44)

In addition to getting plenty of sleep—around eight hours per night is a good goal—you should also work on optimizing your circadian rhythm. Circadian rhythm disruption, caused by factors such as blue light exposure before bed and abnormal sleep patterns, primes the body for viral infection. (45)

Reduce Stress
Mental and emotional stress depresses the immune system, making it harder to fight off colds and flu. Stress reduction practices should be a crucial part of your recovery process; in fact, meditation has been found to reduce the severity of cold and flu illness. (46) If you want to reduce your stress but don’t know where to begin, try a meditation app such as Headspace, Calm, or Waking Up, or practice some easy breathing exercises.

Allow Yourself to Rest
In our 24/7 on-the-go society, busyness is often valued over rest. However, if you want to give your body the opportunity to heal from a cold or flu, then rest is essential. Give yourself permission to curl up with a good book and some hot tea (such as the immune-boosting ginger tea I mentioned above) or take a nap. Getting some much-needed rest will actually make you more productive by reducing the duration of your illness.

Eat a Nutrient-Dense, Whole-Foods Diet
Eating a nutrient-dense, whole-foods diet is also crucial when recovering from a cold or the flu. Avoid sugar, refined grains, and industrial seed oils, which impair immune function, and instead focus on eating high-quality animal proteins, non-starchy vegetables, moderate amounts of starchy plants such as sweet potatoes, some vitamin C-rich fruit, and healthy fats.

Jeffrey Dach MD review of the book “Herbal Antivirals”
[…]
According to Dr. Buhner’s book, the three top candidates as anti-viral herbals are Elderberry, Licorice Root and Chinese Skull cap. Perhaps the most widely available of the antiviral botanicals is Black Elderberry Syrup, which can be found at most health food stores and markets.'
[…]
Licorice Root is widely available at most health food stores as capsules or tinctures. One must be careful to avoid the DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice root) as this form has the active ingredient removed. Douglas Labs offers lDouglas Laboratories® - Licorice Root-V (with Glycyrrhizin) which Dr Buhner recommends: standardized to 12% glycyrrhizin per each 500 mg capsule. I have given this product to family members during viral illness with good results. Licorice Root is also available from various herbal apothecaries as tinctures.

Chinese Skullcap is one of Buhner's favorite anti-virals. Dr Buhner reminds us to avoid the American Skullcap which is a different species and less effective than Chinese skullcap which contains the active ingredients Baicalin and Baicalein. American skullcap is called Scutellaria lateriflora whereas the correct one, the Chinese skullcap, is called Scutellaria baicalensis. The Chinese Skullcap comes as a dried root, and best used as a tincture prepared in alcohol. Dr Buhner lists a number of herbal apothecaries that he likes for the tinctures.

As an added bonus in the book, Buhner provides his favorite sources for the herbal preparations mentioned in the book. This list of herbal anti-virals is by no means final, as there are perhaps hundreds more, such as ginger, Olive Leaf, Garlic, Artemisinin, Berberine, Monolaurin, Humic Acid, Lactoferrin, colostrum etc.

One should remember the importance of replenishing vitamin C and selenium levels in the critically ill patient with pneumonia as discussed in my previous article. A good Vitamin D level prevents viral infection as mentioned in my previous article.
[…]

From Steven Buhners: Herbal Antivirals

Elderberry. Says to boil for 30 minutes; no contraindications; side-effects only if not prepared well enough and it's limited to nausea and purgative.
Various ways of taking it: Syrups, decoctions, Leaf tincture, Flowers hot infusion
Also 2 recipes: one for Flu and for Antiviral strength
Also information on how to cultivate it

[Page 146]
Parts Used
Most commonly the berries and flowers but the leaves, bark, and root
all have a long tradition of medicinal use. You will often see warnings
not to use the inner bark, leaves, or root of this plant but that is a rather
recent phenomenon (since 1910 or so). Historically, they have all been
used with good effect. (The secret is in the preparation.)
[...]
Preparation and Dosage
Usually what is used, especially in
Germany — and probably because of German approaches everyplace
else — is a standardized liquid extract (or standardized lozenge) or
some other variation of the berry juice: expressed juice, syrups, a tea,
or a juice decoction. Dosage usually being a cup of the tea or a glass of
the juice or a couple tablespoons of the syrup for influenzal infections
for reducing fever.
I don’t agree with this limitation on the medicinal
use of the plant but then I tend to be grumpy
Rant: In reading articles about elder it is common to continually be
exposed to the phytohysterical pronouncement that the plant is poisonous.
Well, it is not. The various parts of the plant are emetic (and
purgative if you take enough) if used fresh. That simply means that
you will feel nauseous and possibly vomit if you take too much. The
flowers are the least likely to cause any nausea or vomiting and thus
are considered safe by most phytohysterians everywhere. The berries
may cause some degree of vomiting and nausea if you take too much
at once
(see the discussion of side effects on page 152 for an amusing
anecdote) or if you are especially susceptible to the compounds in the
plant.
[...]
The cyanogenic compounds in elder, which are also strongly present
in cherries and apples, for example, can poison you . . . if you take them
as isolated compounds. But the “poisoning” they are talking about here
merely consists of nausea, weakness, dizziness, and vomiting
— the
usual things that happen when you eat something that disagrees with
you. The plant is not a poisonous plant the way hemlock is (see Socrates for more on this); it’s an emetic (vomit) and in large doses a purgative (poop) and the word “poisonous” really should not be used to describe it.
[...]
[Page 148]
When the animal chews the leaves, the
crushing of the leaves, bark, and so on frees the compounds and combines them, making, in the case of cherry, cyanide gas. Both this and HCN slow (or even paralyze) respiration by inhibiting an enzyme in
the mitochondria of cells, cytochrome c oxidase. This is what makes
the eater dizzy and a bit breathless. It is also why cherry bark is such a
good herb for coughs, or why it has antitussive actions (this is basically
what antitussive means). In essence, it paralyzes the lungs, which is
how it stops hacking coughs. If understood properly, elder can also be
used as a potent antitussive herb for unremitting coughs

[...]
Boiling the plant (that is, the leaves, berries, bark, or root), beginning
with cold water and raising the heat, for 30 minutes will reduce the cyanide (or HCN) content to nearly nothing.
(With cassava, for instance, the fresh leaves contain 68.6 mg/kg of HCN. Boiling them, beginning
with cold water, for 30 minutes reduces this to 1.2 mg/kg, making them
safe for use. If you start with hot water, the reduction is only to 37 mg/
kg.) The longer the boil, the lower the cyanide compound content.
[...]
[Page 149]
[Asian used for broken bones and arthritis; boiling time more than 30 minutes]
The many chemical compounds contained in the plant are much
stronger in the leaves, stems, and roots
[...]
The leaves, like peach leaves, are a very reliable nervine. That is,
they relax the nervous system. That is why the herb was used for epileptic fits and various dementias and uncontrollable movements by both European and American herbalists for centuries. Dosage of the
fresh leaf tincture
runs from 5 to 10 drops, taken no more than each
hour
(though some people can take much higher doses — in fact up to
1 teaspoonful every hour).
Because the fresh stem, leaf, and root can cause nausea, they also
cause sweating. This helps lower fevers and is very useful during viral
infections. A tincture of the stem can be used to initiate sweating if
you take just enough to cause that and not enough to start vomiting.

This varies for each person but in general, the dosage range is similar
to that of the fresh leaf tincture. (I haven’t yet worked with the root
and so can’t comment on it.

The flowers are best if they are prepared as a hot infusion, covered.
That is, put 1 ounce of the flowers, dried or fresh, in a quart of
hot water, cover, and let sit until cool. This retains the essential oil
compounds of the flowers in the liquid and they have unique antiviral
qualities themselves. You can drink as much as you wish of it.
The berries are fine, but the seeds possess HCN and this is what
makes some people vomit. So nearly all sources recommend cooking
them first.

[Page 150]
Elderberry Syrup for Colds and Flu
Ingredients

1 cup dried elderberries (or 2 cups fresh)
2 quarts water
20 cups sugar (yes, yes, I know)

To make:
If you are using dried elderberries, soak them overnight in the refrigerator in the water. In the morning, put the pot on the stove and bring the contents to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook until the liquid is reduced by half. (Hours). Do not skim the surface of the liquid; this keeps the resins in the syrup, which you want to do. When the liquid is reduced by half, remove from the heat, let cool, then strain through a wire strainer, mashing the remaining liquid out of the berries with a strong spoon. Throw the berries away, return the liquid to the pot, set it over medium heat, and add the sugar, stirring until it is completely dissolved. Let cool. The amount of sugar in the syrup will stop it from spoiling. Bacteria cannot live in high-sugar-content solutions such as honey. If you don’t want this much sugar, you can use half as much but you should add 20 percent alcohol to keep the mix from going bad.

To use:
Dosage for adults is 2–4 tablespoons every 2–4 hours during the early
stages of a cold or flu infection.
This is what is called a concentrated
decoction and it is pretty good, if used at the first signs of infection.
If the flu gets established, use this syrup along with the influenza
protocol in chapter 2 or, at the very least, the fresh ginger juice tea on page 44.
If you’d prefer an elderberry-only treatment, you can add the
syrup to 8 ounces of an infusion of the leaves and drink every 3 hours
or so. I would also use 8 ounces of the flower infusion and 5–10
drops of the leaf tincture on the same time schedule.
If you are using the fresh juice, which many do, it will be less strong
than the syrup, so you will need more.
Just test it to make sure you
are not easily nauseated.

[Page 151]
Antiviral Elder Recipe Ingredients:
1 cup dried elder leaves
1/2 cup dried elder stems
2 1/2 quarts water
1 ounce elderberry syrup (see recipe at left)
1 ounce fresh elder leaf tincture
1 ounce elder stem bark tincture

To make:
Powder the dried leaves and stems as finely as possible in a blender or grinder. Place in a pot with the water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the liquid is reduced by two-thirds. Remove from the heat and let cool. Press the decoction through a cloth to remove the plant matter. Add the elderberry syrup and tinctures to the liquid and stir well. To preserve this, you may need to add sugar to the stem/leaf decoction after you press it. If so, reheat, add enough sugar to bring the sugar content up to 65 percent or so, and let cool before adding the rest of the ingredients. However, you can also refrigerate it, or add enough alcohol to bring the alcohol content up to 20 percent, in order to preserve it.

To use:
Take 2–4 tablespoons every 2–4 hours
, less if you feel nauseous. Start slow and work up.

[Page 152]
I have seen people eat handfuls of ripe elderberries or drink copious
amounts of the fresh-juiced berries without nausea and I have seen
one person eat a small handful of ripe elderberries or drink a small
amount of the juice and vomit explosively. There seems to be a wide
range of sensitivity to the HCN in the plant. And there is HCN in the
fresh tinctures that has not been removed by heating. If you are going
to use the antiviral elder recipe above — or any of the fresh leaf and
stem tinctures — I recommend that you test your sensitivity by beginning
with small doses and working up until you find your nausea level.

The majority of people appear able to take the herb with impunity
[...]
Plants harvested near roadways and industrial sites have been
found to have much higher levels of heavy metals than those in other
locations. Careful where you harvest.
[...]

[Side Effects and Contraindications]
From individual reports, S. mexicana berry appears to be a bit more
nausea-inducing than the other varieties of blue/black berry species.
[...]
Eating Fresh Berries
Because the fruits contain potently active antioxidants, if you juice the
berries in the presence of oxygen (essentially in your kitchen or herb room)
many of the constituents will combine with oxygen as the cell walls are
broken, reducing the potency of the compounds. Eating the berries fresh
eliminates this problem.
[...]
[Page 153]
[...] Look, it will just make you vomit
and only then if:
1) you take too much, or 2) you have an individual
reaction to the plant, or 3) you take too much of the fresh or raw leaves,
stem, root, or, sometimes, the uncooked berries. Once the stuff is out of
your system, that’s it. No more trouble.

[Page 153]
Herb/Drug and Herb/Herb Interactions
None have been noted but speculation abounds that elder may exert
additive actions when combined with laxatives or diuretics or decongestants
or various jams and jellies (producing sugar overload, just an
FYI on that one).
A couple of reports say that, in rats, the herb interferes
with the impacts of phenobarbital and morphine, reducing their
effects.
Alternatives: Poke root, Phytolacca americana, has a number of
similarities to elder including its medicinal actions and the hysteria
about being poisonous. The plant (all parts: leaves, roots, berries) contains a
tremendously potent antiviral compound, pokeweed antiviral
protein (PAP), that is broad-spectrum against a wide range of viruses
(and other antiviral compounds as well). Used in its purified form it
has inactivated the HIV virus in mice, making them HIV free.
The
poke plant itself could very well be a potent broad-spectrum antiviral and
it should be examined in some depth for this use. As well, the root is a very strong
lymph system herb, one of the few that I know of besides red root, so it also helps
clear the lymph system of viral and bacterial debris and potentiates the actions of the nodes, spleen, and
so on. I suspect that poke, as a medicinal plant, can be prepared identically to elder in order to use the plant as a reliable antiviral. Because the plant also has major impacts on the spleen and lymph system, that
would make it a primary plant to use for viral encephalitis

[Page 155]
Cultivation and Collection
Richo Cech, of Horizon Herbs, my go-to guy for reliable information on growing medicinals, recommends that you take the dried berries, soak them overnight, “smash them, and remove the seeds. Sow in outdoor conditions, in pots or flats, and expect germination in the spring. . . . The best conditions for germination are cool, moist shade. . . . Elderberries will not grow properly in sterile soil. Sow seeds in very rich and composty soil medium. . . . Once germinated, the seedling grows very rapidly into a handsome bush or small tree. Grow out in a shaded place in pots for a year before transplanting to final location.” The flowers appear in about 3 years and are normally pollinated by beetles and flies of various sorts with a few bees thrown in for good luck. The flowers are collected in full bloom (June/July), the berries when ripe (August/September), and either dried out of the sun and stored in plastic or glass containers in coolish, dark locations or used fresh in tinctures, cordials, cough syrups, and so on. The leaves can be picked at any time and tinctured fresh or dried for use later, with the same storage conditions. The inner bark is treated similarly.

[Page 156]
The flowers and berries are most commonly
used and they appear to be the weakest parts of the plant.
Nevertheless,
the berries do possess some good activity against, primarily, influenza
viruses (and some other enveloped viruses, especially respiratory) and the
plant is a moderate invasive and broadly available throughout the world. If
you have nothing else handy for a severe respiratory infection, use it
. For
some people it works very well, especially if you use the herb right at the
beginning of an influenza infection, just when that tingle in the bones begins.

[Page 158]
There is also judicious use of the root and leaf internally
as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories for rheumatoid complaints along with
the topical use.
(Normally they are decocted prior to internal use; see the
preparation section.) The leaves are widely used in Iranian herbal practice
to reduce swellings in the liver and kidneys, as a diuretic, and as a liver
protectant.

[Page 160]
The degree of inhibition of these flavonoids is similar to that of Tamiflu.
[...]
The compounds in elder are particularly active against enveloped viruses. These include the influenza viruses, herpesviruses, pox viruses (shingles/chicken pox), hepatitis B and D, the flaviviruses
(West Nile, dengue, tick-borne encephalitis, yellow fever, Japanese
encephalitis, and so on), coronaviruses (upper respiratory and GI tract
infections and SARS)
, paramyxoviruses (mumps, measles, respiratory
syncytial virus, parainfluenza), rhabdoviruses (vesicular stomatitis
virus), bunyaviruses (hantavirus), filoviruses (Ebola, Marburg), and
retroviruses (HIV). Various parts of the plant have been tested against
some of the viruses in these groups and have been found active against
them. Further, historical use in a number of cultures includes some of
these disease categories. It seems as if the plant may in fact be a broadspectrum antiviral for all enveloped viruses.

[Page 161]
[Traditional Uses]
[Greeks]

The elders were felt to be a primary plant of the
god Pan. The plant was felt to cure nearly all the ills of humankind
(thus allowing one to become an elder). That is, it is a panacea.
[Ayurveda]

the flowers and leaves used fresh. The inner
bark is a hydrogogue, cathartic, and antiepileptic. The flowers are diaphoretic, sudorific, and laxative. The berries increase renal function,
the root is an aperient
[Traditional Chinese Medicine]

Syrups of the berries and the leaves are used (decoctions again).
[...]
Lu-ying’s primary uses seem to be for the treatment of hepatitis and liver injury, for
inflammations, and as an analgesic. It is also used to induce sweating,
as a diuretic, for bruises, rheumatism, dislocations, nephritis, edema,
beriberi, and urticaria.

[...]
The whole plant would be then anodyne, antiphlogistic, depurative, diuretic, emetic, and purgative. The leaves and root are used
for pain and numbness, bone diseases, and rheumatic problems.
The
fruit is used as a depurative and purgative. A decoction of the berries is
used to treat injuries, for skin diseases, and for swellings. A decoction
of the leaves is used as a diuretic and an anodyne (pain reliever).
[...]
In Indonesia S. javanica’s leaves are primarily used for pain relief.
One-half to 1 ounce of leaves is boiled in 3 cups of water and reduced
to 1 cup, and the decoction consumed for 14 days. (Note: No emetic
warnings are shouted.) For beriberi 1 to 2 ounces of fresh root, stems,
and leaves is treated similarly, the cooled decoction consumed for 14
days.
(Again, no emetic warnings occur.) For jaundice, the roots only
are used, as a concentrated decoction.

[...]
Sambucus williamsii is also considered anodyne, carminative, diaphoretic, diuretic, and emetic. The leaf is also used to treat (and alleviate, i.e., break) ague fits (essentially intermittent fevers with sharp
swings into both extremely hot and cold states, i.e., fits). T
he flowers
are diaphoretic and diuretic. The juice of the stem is used as an emetic.
A decoction of the root for arthritis inflammations.
Still, there is so little on the genus compared to so many others; it
doesn’t appear to have a major place in traditional Chinese medicine.

[Page 164]
[Western Botanic Practice]
Elders have been used in European medical practice for over 2,500
years for inflammatory conditions, for sore throats, as a purgative,
as an emetic, and for wounds. The leaves were a major ingredient in
salves for the treatment of wounds, bruises, and sprains. Used internally, they are expectorant, diaphoretic, and diuretic. The berries were
used for rheumatism, erysipelas, colic, diarrhea, epilepsy, and dropsy.

The use of the various Sambucus species by the indigenous peoples
of the Americas was extensive, for both red and blue berry species.
S. canadensis bark was used as an emetic, laxative, blood purifier, for
wounds to prevent infection, for skin inflammations, for jaundice, as
a wash for pain, as a poultice for headaches, as a laxative for children,
to treat measles, diphtheria, and mumps. The leaves were used in ointments for wounds and burns, and a leaf infusion to wash skin sores to
prevent infection, as a diuretic, for dropsy, and for jaundice. The berries for rheumatism, as a wine as a tonic, and for fevers. The flowers to sweat out fevers, for colds and pulmonary troubles, and to treat colic in
infants. The root as an emetic, for liver troubles, as a poultice for swollen breasts, and as a poultice for a baby’s unhealed navel.
And so on and on and on.
The various species (S. cerulea, S. mexicana, S. neomexicana, S.
nigra, S. velutina, and so on) were all used pretty similarly. In essence:
for fevers and colds, as an emetic, as a purgative, for skin inflammations, for rheumatism (arthritic complaints) and sore joints, to treat
wounds, as a diuretic, and for liver troubles.

[Page 165]
[Scientific Research]
[...] The anthocyanins in elder are particularly potent
and are the compounds in elder that
have been most extensively studied.
They reach peak presence in the
body within 30 to 60 minutes after
ingestion. They are high in the urine
and GI tract mucosa, and in the liver
and bloodstream to a lesser extent.
The half-life is about 2 hours. They are
absorbed in the small intestine and
can be found in the body (and urine)

as intact glycosides, methylated forms,
and glucuronidated derivatives

[Page 166]
Elder is a potent COX-2 inhibitor
and inducer of quinone reductase.(S.
racemosa inhibits ornithine decarboxylase.) It also tends to act in the body as
a cytokine modulator
; it increases the
body’s production of IL-10 if it is taken
during an infection, downregulating
the levels of other cytokines as necessary,
but if taken early in the disease
process, it inhibits viral upregulation of
IL-10 and increases antiviral cytokine
production and activity.

[...]
In vivo studies with mice have found
that elderberry extracts enhance the
immune system through increased
levels of T cells, B cells, interferon,
and IL-2. (There are some reports that
show that Sambucol, a proprietary
elderberry extract, stimulates TNF-α
production. This perplexes scientists
but in fact the herb tends to modulate
cytokine production, raising it if necessary, lowering it if it is too high.)

[...]
In Planta
Elder has been found to be directly
virucidal against tobacco leaf virus,
to inactivate the virus through
depurination, and to be host protective
if later challenged by viruses.
[IN VIVO]

[...]
Sambucus
williamsii extracts (part of plant not
stated but it was apparently the leaves
or stems) exerted protective effects
on ovariectomy-induced bone loss in
rats.

It improved trabecular bone mass
and cortical bone strength, decreased
urinary calcium excretion, increased
serum calcium levels, increased tibial
bone mineral density, and exerted beneficial effects on the microarchitecture
of the trabecular bone. A methanolic
extract of the stems of Sambucus
sieboldiana (S. racemosa subtype) was
found to possess antiosteoporotic
activity. It inhibits bone resorption in
ovariectomized rats.

[...]

TheraMax, a proprietary blend of green
tea and elderberry
(Sambucus nigra), is
effective against seven of eight strains
of influenza A and B (in vitro);; when
used on mice infected with mortal
doses of influenza viruses, it significantly slowed the arrival of death, curtailed weight loss, and improved lung
hemorrhage scores.

[...]

[Page 167]
In mice then infected
with leishmania parasites, Sambucol
delayed the onset of the disease
by
upregulating Th1 cytokines. However,
when given to mice challenged with
malarial parasites, the incidence of
cerebral malaria increased substantially.
In essence it exacerbated the
Th1 dominant cytokine cascade during
malarial infection, leading to a worsening of symptoms. The berries appear
to possibly act as a Th1 activator, while
the leaves act as a Th1/Th2 modulator.
(So, don’t take the berry syrup if you
have malaria.)

[...]

In the book theres also detailed information on many other plants like Licorice.

In the book Buhner mentions this protocol for coronaviruses and SARS:

Page 55
[…] SARS viruses attach to ACE-2 on the surface of lung, lymph, and
spleen epithelial cells. (Licorice, Chinese skullcap, luteolin, horse
chestnut, Polygonum spp., Rheum officinale, and plants high in procyanidins and
lectins such as elder and cinnamon block attachment
to varying degrees.)

[…]
Page 57
Medical Treatment
Ribavirin is only marginally effective against SARS but is still used in spite of the side effects. Corticosteroids are used to try and reduce inflammation. The nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug indomethacin has shown potent antiviral activity against the virus and should be used. Rimantidine and lopinavir have both been found active in vitro.

Page 58
The SARS Protocol

The plants found specific for the SARS virus are Chinese skullcap, houttuynia, isatis, licorice, Forsythia suspensa, and Sophora flavescens.
I would use the exact same protocol as for influenza, outlined earlier, with two exceptions:
• Because Salvia miltiorrhiza is so specific for the virus and due to the fact that HMGB1 is usually present, I would use one of the HMGB1 formulations (see page 52) from the day the infection begins.
• Because kudzu is so specific for this virus, I would add kudzu to the HMGB1 formulation. For the tincture formulation, add an equal part of kudzu tincture and increase the dosage by one-third; for the aqueous infusion, add an equal amount of the dried root to the formulation.

Influenza Protocol - Page 46
[….] Treatment of moderate to severe influenza is composed of three
main formulations,
to which others can be added if necessary. These
are an (1) antiviral tincture formulation, an (2) antiviral ginger juice tea, and
an (3) immune complex tincture formulation.

(1) Antiviral Tincture Formulation

Equal parts of Chinese skullcap, isatis, licorice, houttuynia, lomatium, red root, yerba santa (Eriodictyon spp.), elephant tree (Bursera
microphylla), osha (Ligusticum porteri), and either inmortal (Asclepias
asperula) or pleurisy root (Asclepias tuberosa)
[…] These are designed to kill the virus and inhibit its entry into the body [...]
(yerba santa, osha, elephant tree, and inmortal or
pleurisy root) do not have to be included in this formulation, though
they do help considerably

[…] Dosage needs to be high for two reasons. The first is that there are so many herbs in the formulation that each herb has a reduced presence in the formulation. The second is the nature of moderate to severe influenza infections. As the disease progresses up the scale of severity, the cytokine cascade increases in intensity. The body needs to be bathed in the plant compounds in high enough quantities that the cytokine cascade is potently inhibited. In addition, the body needs to be suffused with enough of the antiviral compounds that the viral entry into host cells and its presence in the body are severely curtailed.
For moderate influenza: 60 drops or 3 ml (a little over 1 /2 teaspoon) every hour.
For severe influenza: 1–2 teaspoons every hour

Page 44
(2) Fresh Ginger Juice Tea
Ginger is useful for the flu only if the juice of the fresh root is used.
Dried ginger is useless

At the first signs of an infection that is not going to stop, juice one to two pounds of ginger. (Squeeze the remaining pulp to get all the juice out of it, and keep any leftover juice refrigerated.) Pour 3 to 4 ounces of the juice into a mug, and add one-quarter of a lime (squozen), a large tablespoon of honey, 1 /8 teaspoon of cayenne, and 6 ounces of hot water. Stir well. Drink 2 to 6 cups daily. This will usually end the infection within a few days. If it does not it is still tremendously useful as it will thin the mucus, slow the spread of the virus in the body, and help protect mucous membranes from damage.
Comment: Some people find that an elderberry syrup will provide the same effects

Page 49
(3) Immune Complex Tincture Formulation
Equal parts of the tinctures of astragalus, cordyceps, and rhodiola. All of these herbs are active against influenza viruses. They are also potently adaptogenic, that is, they increase the resistance of organisms to stressors, whether microbial or external. Additionally, astragalus and cordyceps are highly specific for the cytokine cascades that are initiated by influenza. These herbs will help through their antiviral actions, modulate the overactive immune response, lower cytokine levels, and enhance a healthy immune response to the infection. Again, dosage levels should be highish, for the same reasons as outlined above.
For moderate influenza: 1/2 teaspoon of the tincture 3x daily.
For severe influenza: 1–2 teaspoons of the tincture 6x daily

To Reduce HMGB1 Levels during Cytokine Storms - Page 52
The herbs that are already being used will help this considerably. However, if the condition significantly worsens then the following specific intervention is warranted. Take both formulations.
Formulation 1
: Tincture combination of Angelica sinensis and Salvia miltiorrhiza, in equal parts. Dosage: 1 tablespoon every hour. Or . . . Formulation 2: Strong infusion of the two herbs, 4 ounces of each in 1 gallon of just-boiled water. Remove from the heat, let sit 4 hours, and strain. Dosage: Drink 12 ounces every hour

Now a real life example using most of these herbs is when Kresser’s father acquired viral pneumonia from the hospital. Resolved in two days with most of those herbs, he claims.

[…] my father, over Thanksgiving, had a pretty bad accident. He fell while he was carrying some luggage up the stairs and he severed the quadriceps tendon in both knees, which is an extremely rare and a pretty brutal injury. So his legs had to be completely immobilized in straight leg braces and he ended up being in the hospital for about 10 days. While he was in the hospital, after the second or third day, he developed hospital-acquired viral pneumonia, which you’re at increased risk for if you have an immobilizing injury. If you’re lying down like that, the fluid can pool in your lungs and you’re just at higher risk for developing an infection like that. In fact, there is a saying in medicine, “Break your hip, die of pneumonia.”
[…]
They put him on three different antibiotics, and that, of course, raises the risk of C. diff, and we were uncertain about whether that was the best course of action because the testing was inconclusive. Once it became clear that it wasn’t a bacterial pneumonia, I lobbied to get him off antibiotics as soon as possible.

What the hospital does with viral pneumonia is they use Tamiflu, which is antiviral, and not much else, but the key in addressing viral pneumonia or other viral infections—there are two parts: one is antiviral treatment and two is boosting immune function. I think botanical medicine has a lot more to offer in both of those areas than the conventional allopathic model.

Don’t tell anyone I did this, but I was basically smuggling herbs into the hospital room that he could take throughout his stay there because you’re not really supposed to do that, but I felt strongly that this would help him recover more quickly, and it certainly did. Within two days, he was through the worst part of it, to the surprise of the entire medical staff at the hospital. Since he is 74 years old, they were expecting a more protracted episode, but I’m going to tell you roughly what I did. I’m going to also suggest that you don’t necessarily try this in that same setting unless you know what you’re doing because you have to be careful about interactions between these botanicals and drugs, and there can be some interactions in some cases. But for the most part, these botanicals are safe and don’t interact with most of the drugs that would be used in that situation. Because I’m trained as an herbalist and was there and had many of these medicines at my house, I was able to have my wife bring them down and we were able to do this and it was really successful.

In terms of the antivirals, the best combination of the botanicals to use would be Chinese skull cap, isatis, licorice, houttuynia, lomatium, red root, yerba santa, elephant tree, osha, pleurisy root.

Now, that’s a lot of herbs, of course, and they all have different functions. That formula can be broken down into two parts. One part is the antiviral component, and that would be Chinese skull cap, isatis, licorice, houttuynia, and lomatium. And then the other part would be more for working as an expectorant and a decongestant, thinning the mucus, protecting the cilia of the lungs, and draining the lymph from the lungs. Those botanicals are red root, yerba santa, elephant tree, and pleurisy root

isatis is one of the most bitter medicines in the entire traditional Chinese pharmacopeia. It’s a pretty intense taste, but of course, if you’re dealing with pneumonia, you got to just suck it up and take this stuff. It doesn’t taste good but it’s remarkably effective.

In terms of dosage, for an acute episode of pneumonia, you would be taking one to two teaspoons of this every hour. What I did is I just mixed equal parts of these medicines together and then I added enough to last for a day along with water in a water bottle, brought that to my dad and just had him drink a little bit of it every hour. He complained, but it had, like I said, a pretty substantial effect on his infection and his cough symptoms and was really helpful in kicking that out, so he did it.

The other part of it is the immune support. The botanicals that are really helpful for immune support include astragalus, cordyceps, eleuthero, which is Siberian ginseng, and rhodiola. All of those are great immune support herbs, and they can also be mixed in equal parts, and you could take that if it was a really acute episode—maybe a teaspoon four to five times a day. In addition to those herbs, I also gave him elderberry syrup two teaspoons three times a day, which is a high dose. I gave him 50 mg of zinc once a day and 200 mcg of selenium once a day.

If you’re addressing a viral infection that is less severe, you can really ratchet those doses back quite a bit, something like 30 to 60 drops every hour or two until the condition improves would be suitable.

if this is possible (it wasn’t really as easy to do given the hospital setting), making a very, very strong ginger juice tea can be a really helpful adjunct to this whole healing process.

[Fresh Ginger Recipe]

The ginger juice tea is a combination of:

ginger
honey
lime or lemon
honey
cayenne pepper
hot water

It is really intense. This is not the kind of tea that you buy in the store that has a mild ginger flavor.
  1. This is juicing one to two pounds of fresh ginger. There are a couple of different ways to do this. If you have a juicer, that’s certainly the easiest way to do it because you’re talking about one or two pounds. If you don’t have a juicer and you’re up for up for making smaller batches, you can just get a grater and you can peel the ginger and then grate it on the finest setting into kind of like a pulp. Then you either pour three to four ounces of the juice (if you have a juicer), or you squeeze the pulp so that you generate three to four ounces of juice into a mug.
  2. You add one quarter of lime and squeeze that.
  3. A large tablespoon of honey, which has antiviral and antimicrobial properties, and is also an expectorant and decongestant and really soothing for cough and the lungs.
  4. One-eighth teaspoon of cayenne pepper and six ounces of hot water.
  5. You stir that really well and then you just sip that throughout the day.
I’m telling you, it’s really intense. It’s really hard to get down for many people, but it can have a profound effect on stopping viruses. In fact, I use this with many of my patients and we use it at home, and I just don’t really get sick anymore. If I start to feel sick and I start drinking this tea and take some of these herbs, it’s typically gone within 24 hours, or I make just a very, very mild version of it where I feel a little bit tired but I don’t develop the full symptom picture that I used to get with colds and flus. It’s a really powerful and potent mixture.

[Restoring the Gut after Antibiotics]
Certainly, probiotics are important. I think prebiotics are also important. I think bone broth is important. For my dad, what we did is we had him drinking a cup of bone broth three times a day. We also had him doing Saccharomyces boulardii […] it’s one of the probiotics that has the most research behind it in terms of protecting the gut microbiota from antibiotics.

Then, another very broad spectrum, very high-dose probiotic that can be helpful during antibiotic use is something like VSL#3. It’s a powder. I think it’s 400 or 500 billion CFU per packet, and that is just a really therapeutic dose to use in a situation like this to quickly restore the gut microbiome. And then I would have the patient consume plenty of fermentable fibers, but if that’s not possible, I might use a prebiotic supplement, some soluble fibers, like glucomannan or partially hydrolyzed guar gum are two of my favorites, or something like BiotaGen or Prebiogen (which are non-starch polysaccharides like FOS and inulin), or some resistant starch like green banana or green plantain flour are good options. Those, together with the probiotics and the bone broth, can be really helpful in restoring the gut microbiome after antibiotic use.

I've got a question on the Elderberries. Having had a look at them today and realizing how tiny they are does anyone think that washing them before boiling would maybe cause an loss in their potency. I'd like to think getting rid of wee beasties and dust would be beneficial but am I destroying anything good? Or,will the boiling and straining do the job.?

I've got a question on the Elderberries. Having had a look at them today and realizing how tiny they are does anyone think that washing them before boiling would maybe cause an loss in their potency. I'd like to think getting rid of wee beasties and dust would be beneficial but am I destroying anything good? Or,will the boiling and straining do the job.?

I don't see any reason you can't put them in a screen colander and give them a good rinse with the sink sprayer hose if you have one.

I don't see any reason you can't put them in a screen colander and give them a good rinse with the sink sprayer hose if you have one.

Fantastic. Thank you very much. Just getting my file up to date on all protocols and uses so I'm all set for the times to come and not scraping about if a panic sets in.:-D

Maybe, during virus seasons, people should have this as a breakfast drink every day just for prevention?

I should have read and applied this prior. There has been a big wave floating around BC of some type of flu/viral thing that had been up until recently avoided, however I've been coming off some type of flu/viral affair since last Friday - was hit hard, yet also (it was my wife who actually had it) from our Naturopathic doctor an Elderberry Tincture. Now I'm not sure how it had been made, yet it was in the fridge that has been used now throughout the duration.

Observations: On the weekend there was fever involved, so kept at it with the Elderberry Tincture and whatever else I could throw at it, such as high dose vit-C and sodium bicarbonate. Although the fever would spike, it would also fall back. A couple of times after taking this E-tincture this is when there was a spike, and not sure, yet it appeared that it was the E-Tincture and bodies way of enveloping viral cells and shedding them out, because the fever was way more manageable and could be brought down quickly enough, too.

After having pneumonia last year (no trivial thing), I've been a bit conscious of it redeveloping, yet so far so good and it feels that I'm finally getting to be on the other side of whatever this strain was. So, would recommend looking for an E-Tincture to keep on hand.

My kids didn´t really like drinking the Elderberry tea, no matter what I´ve put in the mix to taste them better.
I bought them Sambucol Schwarze Holunderbeere Immuno Forte syrup but my two kids finish the bottle in cca 4-5 days.

Since I´ve bought 1 kilo of dried Elderberries for the tea, I´ve searched for other ways how to make my own Elderberry syrup and I´ve found this one.
Here is the site in Croatian (https://www.agroklub.com/hortikultura/sirup-od-bazginih-bobica-saveznik-protiv-prehlade/35203/) but down I´ve wrote what I did.
Original recipe uses fresh Elderberries but I ussed dried ones.

For the basic syrup I put:
5 spoons of dried Elderberries (cca 60g - that´s amount for cca 2 liter of tea, but here I wanted higher concentration of berries beacuse syrup is taken by the spoon and not by the cup)
cca 1/5l water
one cinnamon stick

(in original recipe one puts in little ginger and cloves; I didn´t have those at the moment, so I didn´t put it in)

Cook that for about 40mins.
After that, drain the berries, squeeze all the extra juice out of them and pour the syrup in glass bottles.
Store it in the fridge.

On the site it says that in case of a cold, kids are given 3 little spoons a day.
In original recipe you also can put one squeesed lemon in it, but after a few days in the fridge it tastes funny, so I put vitC powder instead.
You can sweeten it for taste.
In original recipe on the site I´ve pasted, honey and vinegar are added that would serve as a preservative.

I give the kids 1-2 little spoons a day with some water. :) They are complaining of course, but when presented wit a choice between the tea and this little spoon - of course they just take one spoon and get over with it. ;)
So far, I didn´t notice that they have any digestial or other issues.
I´ve taken 1-2 normal spoons but I´ve cut it down to 1 because I beleive I had a reaction to it (Elderberries ARE a natural diuretic ;) ).

I had myself a flu that last 2 days and a bronquitis, with fever, very strange because since 20 years I have none one (bronquitis). And strange because I live in a country where the weather is good but one day before the flu arrived there was a small sirocco, many sand in the air. I cured it with homeopathy and bicarbonate and also Elderberries. So far so good. After that a huge sirocco came here and I was ok. I like the taste of Elderberries.

[...]This time I left the blended on for a good minute or more. The seeds became liquidised and the drank the whole thing.
This turned out to be a big mistake.
[...]
I had a similar sobering experience after blending a glass full of raw (washed) berries for a minute or two.
Drank the whole glass at once and a minute later had to visit the bathroom, urgently. Spent the next 6 hours in desperation on and off the pot, with a totally liquid diarrhea. I never knew we had that much water inside!
Left dehydrated, it took me two days to slowly recover.
I think it's the blender crushing the seeds thus letting their poisonous contents out,
Whole elderberry seeds normally pass the digestive tract untouched, so are not harmful.

Back
Top Bottom