Elderberries Block Flu Virus From Attaching To and Entering Human Cells

I had a similar sobering experience after blending a glass full of raw (washed) berries for a minute or two.
Drank the whole glass at once and a minute later had to visit the bathroom, urgently. Spent the next 6 hours in desperation on and off the pot, with a totally liquid diarrhea. I never knew we had that much water inside!
Left dehydrated, it took me two days to slowly recover.
I think it's the blender crushing the seeds thus letting their poisonous contents out,
Whole elderberry seeds normally pass the digestive tract untouched, so are not harmful.

Oh boy, I'm sorry to hear that asino, it does resemble my own experience.

I have a slight suspicion that the poison is in the seeds. I used the blender for a couple of seconds the first time I tried cooked elderberries and it separated the flesh from the seeds. I was fine when I drank bits of that flesh. But blending the whole berries with seeds ended in a traumatising manner.

I guess it also makes sense to only boil the berries for 15 minutes. I suspect it's not enough to get the poison out of the seeds - if that's where it's stored - and enough to get the goodness out of the flesh.

That said, I've drunk 3/4 of a glass of boiled elderberries and elderflowers daily and I have not had any more negative experiences. I'll continue to drink it, let's see if this flu season ends without adventures.

Re:
...Naturopathic doctor an Elderberry Tincture. Now I'm not sure how it had been made, yet it was in the fridge that has been used now throughout the duration.

Had a look at making this Tincture - and rather than as a syrup that only lasts 2 - 3 weeks, it says it last up to 5 yeas in the fridge (note that it is made with alcohol - and thought I could sense that when taking it). This is one of many articles on making Elderberry Tincture (there is a focus on 'for' children here):

Tips for taking elderberry tincture
  • Tinctures can taste strong. I have found that my kids don’t bat an eye at them because they have been taking tinctures for various reasons since infanthood (such as teething tinctures and calming tinctures), and they are just used to them. Below are some things to keep in mind.
  • Tinctures work best held under the tongue for about 30 seconds. Obviously young children do not do this, but as my girls have gotten older we make it a game by humming the ABC’s or Twinkle Twinkle Little Star while we hold it. You can dilute the tincture a little to tame the alcohol too.
  • You can mix the tincture with a spoonful of raw honey, yogurt, or applesauce if you think the kids will take it better that way.
  • You can dilute the tincture in a warm cup of water with raw honey to make a “tea”.
  • While herbs work best on an empty tummy, just get it in when you can! I do shoot for in between meals, but in a houseful of busy kids that just doesn’t always happen.
Yes, mine also says on empty tummy.

Adding a bit of science - the papers quite interesting, but just quoting the discussion as it contains the relevant parts:

Published online 2011 Feb 25
Inhibitory activity of a standardized elderberry liquid extract against clinically-relevant human respiratory bacterial pathogens and influenza A and B viruses
[..]
Discussion

The goal of this study was to determine the potential antimicrobial activity of a standardized elderberry liquid extract against several human bacterial and viral pathogens known to cause infections of the upper respiratory tract. We showed that the proliferation of S. pyogenes, group C and G Streptococci, and B. catarrhalis were reduced after contact with elderberry extract in liquid culture. Our results indicate that the applied concentrations of the elderberry liquid extract are an important antimicrobial parameter for further potential therapeutic treatment of bacterial pathogens.

The antimicrobial activity of an extract of elderberries (S. nigra L.) has been demonstrated against the growth of 13 common nosocomial Gram-positive and Gram-negative pathogens (e.g. S. aureus (MRSA), Bacillus cereus, Escherichia coli and Pseudomonas aeruginosa) using the disc diffusion technique [19].
Intriguingly, the authors reported that all noscomial strains, including S. aureus treated with an aqueous extract of the leaves at 10-fold dilution, failed to show any growth inhibitory activity, whereas 100-fold dilutions of freeze-dried, concentrates of ethanol extracts of the flowers or berries inhibited all the bacteria tested [19]. In our data, S. aureus (MRSA and MSSA) was not inhibited using Rubini elderberry liquid extract using disc diffusion assays. This strongly suggests that, compared to the elderberry extract prepared by membrane filtration used in our study, the extracts prepared by the method of Hearst and colleagues [19] may be significantly different. We speculate that the reasons for the different antimicrobial activities of the two elderberry extracts could depend on their chemical compositions or varying concentrations of antibacterial compounds within the extracts. Both studies demonstrate that elderberry extracts generated by different extraction methods may be useful as alternative or complementary medicines to potentially counteract the spread of certain kinds of bacteria responsible for upper respiratory tract infections. Finally, additional investigations are required to elucidate the mechanism of action of elderberry extracts against bacteria.

Syncytia inhibition assays have shown that elderberry extracts have strong antiviral activity against feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV) in vitro [20]. Also, flavonoids in the berries of S. nigra L. bind to and prevent H1N1-type IV infection in vitro [6]. Furthermore, influenza A and B virus bind to alpha2,3- and alpha2,6-linked sialic acid-linked glycoproteins as receptor determinants for infection via the viral haemagglutinin (HA) protein, and alpha2,6-linked sialic acid are recognized by the S. nigra L. agglutinin [21]. We therefore aimed to elucidate the anti-IV potential of the specific elderberry extract used in our investigations against a B-type IV (B/Mass) as well as a human isolate of a highly pathogenic avian IV (KAN-1, H5N1).

We have demonstrated that treatment of IV-infected cells with the elderberry liquid extract reduces B/Mass spread at concentrations that are non-toxic in cell culture and therefore should affect factors and/or mechanisms important for influenza B virus propagation. Interestingly, KAN-1 also showed a decrease in focus numbers, but at the same time, an enlargement in size. At the moment, this is not understood. Nevertheless, both virus strains show reduced titres after pre-treated MDCK cells were infected with the pre-treated strains, which were subsequently incubated in the presence of the extract for 48 h. The difference in the effect of the extract on the propagation of the two strains may reflect different viral dependencies on the factors or mechanisms blocked by the extract and therefore the extract might have different inhibitory potentials towards diverse types of IV. Looking at the different treatment regimens, pre-treatment of the cells had only a moderate effect in reducing KAN-1 titre in a single cycle replication (data not shown). The result would suggest that elderberry liquid extract blocks factors on the cell surface needed by KAN-1 (and therefore perhaps by other IV) for efficient infection of MDCK cells. It should be noted that the experiments were otherwise performed with pre-treated virus and cells and that the cells were further incubated in the presence of the diluted extract. Since preliminary results of other investigations indicate an inhibitory effect of elderberry liquid extracts against influenza A and B viruses [8,9], it can be concluded that the molecular target of elderberry extract is common to both viral genera. While this could be a specific as well as a nonspecific target, previous studies have shown that flavonoid components of the berries appear to exhibit a specific neuraminidase-inhibiting effect [4] and bind to the viral envelope of influenza [5]. Further work in elucidating the specific activity of Rubini elderberry liquid extract will allow a better understanding of its mode of action and therefore of its potential applications.

Regarding the usability of the elderberry liquid extract for in vivo testings, a compromise between concentration and low viscosity should be found to provide the best possible results. For practical purposes, an optimum route of administration would need to be determined and it would have to be decided which strategy to pursue in considering the potential of the extract. Combining the liquid extract with additional ingredients with the goal of increasing its effects might also be considered, just as it is possible that various natural ingredients could be used in combination with the extract for different kinds of therapeutic applications [22].

Conclusion

Rubini elderberry liquid extract is active against human pathogenic bacteria as well as influenza viruses, both being clinically import groups of pathogens for which new and alternative therapeutic approaches are needed. In addition, bacterial super-infection during ongoing influenza virus infections complicates the situation for the patient. It would therefore be useful to simultaneously target both foes. The activities shown by the elderberry liquid extract suggest that additional and alternative approaches to influenza infections might be provided by natural products.

So far I've yet to find anything definitive that says it would help protect directly against the corona virus, but it will prevent secondary lung infections from pathogenic bacteria. It's possible that it may also bind to the corona virus envelope, but I'd need to dig some more to be sure.
This might be useful as an anti-pathogen protocol (or part of one) in general.

Adding a bit of science - the papers quite interesting, but just quoting the discussion as it contains the relevant parts:

So far I've yet to find anything definitive that says it would help protect directly against the corona virus, but it will prevent secondary lung infections from pathogenic bacteria. It's possible that it may also bind to the corona virus envelope, but I'd need to dig some more to be sure.

Another link we can be sharing widely.

Inhibitory activity of a standardized elderberry liquid extract against clinically-relevant human respiratory bacterial pathogens and influenza A and B viruses

Last bold. Probably not yet anyway, however this part seems to tackle a great deal, so it seems very possible:

Syncytia inhibition assays have shown that elderberry extracts have strong antiviral activity against feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV) in vitro [20]. Also, flavonoids in the berries of S. nigra L. bind to and prevent H1N1-type IV infection in vitro [6]. Furthermore, influenza A and B virus bind to alpha2,3- and alpha2,6-linked sialic acid-linked glycoproteins as receptor determinants for infection via the viral haemagglutinin (HA) protein, and alpha2,6-linked sialic acid are recognized by the S. nigra L. agglutinin [21]. We therefore aimed to elucidate the anti-IV potential of the specific elderberry extract used in our investigations against a B-type IV (B/Mass) as well as a human isolate of a highly pathogenic avian IV (KAN-1, H5N1).

And below related to Influenza A & B there was "it can be concluded that the molecular target of elderberry extract is common to both viral genera."

Pretty hopeful that it would tackle a lot more.

Thought the reference to "feline immunodeficiency virus" (which is like retrovirus with similarities to HIV (as read) in cats) was fascinating.

If missed here, noted a link for those who are gardeners looking to propagate elderberry, this was really good:

I believe I have found a quality source of spray dried berry juice though not cheap. When mixed with water, it really does seem like unsweetened juice vs. the many criticisms of the brands on Amazon, even the high-end supposedly freeze-dried powder ones.

Anyways, feel free to critique the site and their products:

______________Inicio | bayas-del-sur-chile

I have purchased both their spray dried elderberry and pomegranate powders. They also have elderberry in freeze-dried format but it seems that is better for recipes where you want the crushed berry type consistency.

Thanks on_strike_usaexpat. All I had found was elederberry flower for making infusions at Knop pharmacies. I was told to check the Mapuche pharmacies as well but didn't have time to go there yet.

There is a good syrup that is made in Canada. I began taking it couple of weeks ago. I was talking about it to the herbologist. She said Elderberries are best suited for the Elders. It helps with all kinds of issues related to aging. I have found it to be a stabilizing influence on blood pressure, with my situation. That is a great thing. Immune system boosting is another beneficial side effect of Elderberries.

If you pick them in the wild, you have to beat the birds to the berries. For the past 6 years I have watched some wild Elderberry trees. Just as the berries have looked ready and I thought to investigate, the birds would come and strip all of the berries to the point that the trees would look like they had just survived a tornado. lol

This german site says you should be cautious not to worsen a cytokine storm with elderberry, but as far as I understand it should be still good as prevention or possibly in the onset of an infection:

(deepl tranlated)
The coronavirus and elderberry

Due to the flu season and the spreading corona virus, some people may think of strengthening the immune system with elderberry. There are, however, good reasons to be cautious in case of an existing flu with serious symptoms and lung involvement or an acute corona virus infection with elderberry.

So that no misunderstandings arise: I love elderberry and I wrote my final thesis in the phytotherapy training about elderberry, but especially with pneumonia and the processes connected with the corona virus and partly also influenza virus, which take place in the immune system, elderberry can even make the situation worse.

In a study at Pubmed 1 in 2001, an extract from elderberries, Sambucol, was investigated. It proved effective in vitro against 10 strains of the influenza virus and reduced flu symptoms in vivo to 3-4 days. Higher antibody levels against the influenza virus were found in the blood

However, the production of inflammatory cytokines (IL-1 beta, TNF-alpha, IL-6, IL-8) was also significantly increased. TNF-alpha is most strongly affected. In addition to its antiviral properties, elderberry extract thus activates the healthy immune system by increasing the production of inflammatory cytokines.

But what happens when flu turns into pneumonia? In the case of the coronavirus, the lungs are always the most affected.

SARS viruses dock to the ACE-2 receptor on the surface of lung, lymph and spleen epithelial cells. This increases the permeability of the blood vessels and the formation of edema (accumulation of water) in the lungs. The massive release of inflammatory messengers, e.g. cytokines, attracts further immune cells. Neutrophilic granulocytes accumulate, which have a cell-damaging effect, lung tissue is destroyed and lung function deteriorates.

Among other things, the cytokines (IL-1beta, TNF-alpha, IL-6 and IL-8), which are also promoted by elderberry, play a role in this process.

Severe courses of both influenza and corona are triggered by so-called cytokine storms. This means that the inflammatory reaction gets out of control, which can lead to complete failure of the lungs or other organs and death.

Here, therefore, we need agents that contain the inflammation and dampen the cytokine production, not fuel it further. For this reason, elderberry is probably counterproductive here, despite its antiviral properties, during acute pneumonia or coronavirus infection. For prevention, elderberry or elderberry extract can be used safely due to its antiviral and immune-boosting properties

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

It has 2 footnotes/links:

1)
The effect of Sambucol, a black elderberry-based, natural product, on the production of human cytokines: I. Inflammatory cytokines.
Barak V1, Halperin T, Kalickman I.
Author information

Abstract

Sambucus nigra L. products - Sambucol - are based on a standardized black elderberry extract. They are natural remedies with antiviral properties, especially against different strains of influenza virus. Sambucol was shown to be effective in vitro against 10 strains of influenza virus. In a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized study, Sambucol reduced the duration of flu symptoms to 3-4 days. Convalescent phase serum showed a higher antibody level to influenza virus in the Sambucol group, than in the control group. The present study aimed to assess the effect of Sambucol products on the healthy immune system - namely, its effect on cytokine production. The production of inflammatory cytokines was tested using blood - derived monocytes from 12 healthy human donors. Adherent monocytes were separated from PBL and incubated with different Sambucol preparations i.e., Sambucol Elderberry Extract, Sambucol Black Elderberry Syrup, Sambucol Immune System and Sambucol for Kids. Production of inflammatory cytokines (IL-1 beta, TNF-alpha, IL-6, IL-8) was significantly increased, mostly by the Sambucol Black Elderberry Extract (2-45 fold), as compared to LPS, a known monocyte activator (3.6-10.7 fold). The most striking increase was noted in TNF-alpha production (44.9 fold). We conclude from this study that, in addition to its antiviral properties, Sambucol Elderberry Extract and its formulations activate the healthy immune system by increasing inflammatory cytokine production. Sambucol might therefore be beneficial to the immune system activation and in the inflammatory process in healthy individuals or in patients with various diseases. Sambucol could also have an immunoprotective or immunostimulatory effect when administered to cancer or AIDS patients, in conjunction with chemotherapeutic or other treatments. In view of the increasing popularity of botanical supplements, such studies and investigations in vitro, in vivo and in clinical trials need to be developed.

2)
(talks a little bit about the nuances of using elderberries)
When Not to Use Elderberry: Using a Little Discernment

(This is the second in what will be a series of posts about acute illness and herbal adjuncts. If you haven’t read the introduction you might want to go back and do that. )
I’ve been struggling with how to start this next installment on viral illness and then I found the following statement on a website. You are just going to have to trust me on this I am not going to link to a site full of affiliate adds for supplements you don’t need, and my intention is not to start anything with the authors.
The article said, “Elderberry also upregulates IL-6, IL-8 and TNF, suggesting an indirect effect on viral immune response in the body. Interestingly, elderberry was shown to have this effect but not its major bioactive compound, cyanidin 3-glucoside.”
To begin with, I don’t consider that anthocyanin to be the major bioactive compound of this plant. I only use elderflower for influenza, and I consider its major bioactive constituent to be pectic polysaccharides, but that’s absolutely not important to this conversation.
Honestly though, I am relieved by this statement. I am more likely to use black currants which contain the same anthocyanin which has the same effect on viral replicationhttps://naturallysimple.org/living/...9mHk5o_EY0GTfxO9_GBzoS4rw9VRbqv00bosUto#_edn1 without upregulating the primary proinflammatory cytokines. [Edited 2/28/2020: I also wanted to add that I received several messages from Chinese Herbal Medicine practitioners who shared that mulberries are a traditional flu remedy and were used prophylactically during the last SARs outbreak. You can read about that in this article.]
To explain why I find that preferable I am going to talk about the cytokines that are specifically mentioned in that statement.
What Are Cytokines?
Cytokines are just messenger peptides that mediate the inflammation pathways by carrying messages from cell-to-cell. Some are proinflammatory, some are anti-inflammatory, and some that can go either way depending on the situation.
IL 6 and TNF-alpha are some of the more active proinflammatory cytokines and IL-8 is specific kind of cytokine called a chemokine which are involved in chemotaxis or the recruitment of white blood cells to an area. When I was in school I remembered this for tests by thinking of them as chemical taxis.

The tiny peptides traveling between these cells are cytokines.
Is Upregulating Cytokines Beneficial?

The answer to this question is not always. I will start by discussing why I wouldn’t necessarily want to upregulate IL-8 which is a chemokine involved in recruiting white blood cells to an area.
Stanford physician Catherine Blish has studied the hyperinflammatory response to severe influenza in pregnancy extensively attempting to understand why many pregnant women become extremely ill when exposed to influenza. She has stated that abnormally elevated chemokine levels common in pregnancy draw too many white blood cells to the lung. “That’s a bad thing in a lung where you need air space.” Getting the flu during pregnancy, especially pandemic strains such as those that caused the pandemics of 1918, 1957 and 2009, carries a heightened risk for pneumonia and death.”[ii]
What she’s talking about here is a cytokine storm. I have a vested interest in this story because it was this flu that killed my great-grandfather Roberts. The clinical presentation of the storms was first associated with the 1918 flu and included accounts of patients drowning because their lungs filled with fluid and blood [iii] My great-grandfather had the flu, but was still well enough to be up and working and literally dropped dead in the field. So it must have hit him fast.
In 2013 researchers examined the lung tissue of 50 victims of 2009 H1N1 who had died of cytokine storms had “remarkably” elevated levels of IL-1 receptor antagonist protein,IL-6, tumor necrosis factor-alpha, IL-8, monocyte chemoattractant protein-1, macrophage inflammatory protein 1-beta, and interferon-inducing protein-10 [iv] which undoubtedly contributed to the over recruitment of white blood cells.
These cytokine storms trigger a type of viral induced sepsis which is an autoimmune event involving an amped up immune system response that results in a fatal pneumonia. It is usually associated with H1N1,but coronaviruses have sparked storms, as well. For what it’s worth the 2019-nCoV includes a risk of what some researchers are calling Wuhan Pneumonia which seems to be caused by some sort of cytokine storm.
Now let’s stop and think for a moment about what we have already read. Three of the seven cytokines I listed up above are those the crappy, cherry-picked marketing article mentioned elderberry upregulating. It gets worse for elderberry because researchers found specifically that areas of the lungs that had high bacterial infection also had high levels of IL-6, IL-8[v], so it doesn’t seem prudent to risk exacerbating that.
Since the risk of cytokine storm is not common, I am going to step back a moment to talk about IL-6 and TNF-A. These are both what they call endogenous pyrogens in that they trigger a fever response as a defence mechanism to pathogens. They also act on nociceptive sensory neurons in the body to initiate the sensation of pain. So even in a flu where there is not a known association with cytokine storm, we still want to observe the type of discomfort a person is experiencing and pick our adjuncts accordingly. There is no sense in poking a system that’s already in overdrive.
This B/Washington strain that the flu vaccination botched was a particularly hot and achy strain. Several of my clients who normally take elderberry during a cold, told me they thought their syrup was making it worse and asked if I had other ideas. This makes sense to me giving the fact that it elevates cytokines known for initiating those prodromal signs and symptoms.
In the name of making better more nuanced choices, you also want to take into account any health conditions that you don’t want to exacerbate. After reading the Blish interview and the associated study I am going to start recommending that pregnant women not use it during the flu season because they are already at an increased risk of hyperimmunity.[vi]
Honestly I wouldn’t recommend elderberry to a client that had any autoimmune disorder, but I am a safety girl and I have enough tricks up my sleeve to work without it.

Black currants are definitely one of those tricks, but I am a big fan of getting a wide variety of anthocyanins from blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries.
So what about taking elderberry prophylactically?
If you just are using elderberries as tonic when there is no viral complication, is that such a big deal? There are some concerns about doing that.
We know that “excessive or persistent cytokine production results in deregulated immune activation and plays a role in both the initiation and the amplification phases of immunopathologies.”[vii] This means it is possible that prolonged upregulation of these primary inflammatory cytokines could contribute to initiating or exacerbating an autoimmune disease. I have worked with clients who believe it triggered a flare for them, although I haven’t seen that with elderberry nearly as often as I have echinacea.
TNF-α, and IL-6 are already elevated in people with rheumatoid arthritis and contribute to chronic inflammation of the synovial tissue, joint dysfunction, and consequent tissue damage in the joints. So persistent upregulation could exacerbate their symptoms of chronic inflammation.
There are no human studies that have shown long-term use is safe. There is one study that I can find where the subjects took it for three weeks, but they were looking at diabetes markers as the end result and did not assess final C-reactive protein levels or any other marker of inflammation. Because I know from experience that autoimmune diseases are really no fun, I don’t feel comfortable recommending it without knowing for sure that I am doing no harm.
Also, you never know when you are going to be exposed to a virus that might be associated with the storms and they really don’t know why they happen. Some researchers believe it has to do with age and say children or the elderly are most susceptible, but most of the victims mentioned in that 2013 paper, were in their mid 30’s. My great-grandfather was also a younger man with no health complications that we are aware of. So if we know that an illness associated with these storms is circulating, we want to be cautious. Here is an article that speaks to herbs that were used successfully during that outbreak by Eclectic physicians.
What really frustrates me to me is that there are plenty of herbs out there that interfere with viral replication. Research in this area is off the charts, right now. We don’t NEED elderberry. So why is the elderberry craze persisting? Call me cynical, but I think the answer to that has something to do with marketing.
I am not saying that everyone who tries to sell you elderberry knows this stuff. It takes a long time to understand the interaction between herbs and cytokines and I still consider myself a novice. Some people out there have just latched on to the idea that just because something is natural it is safe, and they don’t necessarily have the education and experience to know better.
None of this is meant to say you should never use elderberry. I am just using it as an example to illustrate some of the questions you should be asking yourself about every herbal adjunct you use. How does it work, when shouldn’t a person use it, and are their safer alternatives?
Basically what I have decided concerning the use of elderberry is that while I can’t prove that any of these things will be a problem, I can’t prove that they won’t be. That should be a deciding factor of any risk-benefit analysis.
Edited 02 Feb. 2020
I am editing this post to share my friend Thomas Easley’s feedback that this article “maybe even underemphasizes the potential consequences of IL6 in promoting th17 and suppressing Treg differentiation. If you want to burn an infection out with your immune system use elderberry – but beware the risk of catching everything on fire!” He shared this information about IL6 as a regulator of Treg/Th17 balance.
I wanted to share this article, but I have also had a lot of messages about where to study this sort of information about herbs. If you take my local consultation class I teach the basics you need to be an informed consumer. If you want to learn clinical application, I strongly suggest checking out Thomas’ program. He will put you on the right path.

Has anyone found an online shop who still has elderberries in stock? I have been searching and can't seem to find any in the UK!?

Has anyone found an online shop who still has elderberries in stock? I have been searching and can't seem to find any in the UK!?
I saw some on Amazon UK but looks quite expensive for i.e. 50-100g packs.
Try to order from Amazon Germany, I believe you´ll have more luck and there are 1kg packs for the price you´d pay for 50-100g in UK....
Like this one:

The product I´ve bought is soled out so I also look for alternatives.... :-)

On saturday I ordered here (I'm in Germany)
Dispatch conditions

The products are delivered all over the world.
But I haven't heard much from them since then, so I hope they really have something to deliver.
It's a bit expensive, but organic, and I just needed a small amount to try it out.

Hi Jenn, I think I got the last lg bag of Elderberries from Amazon UK, but I previously ordered from
www.brewstore.co.uk . They do a medium sized pack for £8.25 and it's exactly the same as Amazons.i.e dried.

Back
Top Bottom