Dream I Could Fly

Re: Recurrent flying dream

Breton said:
I am impressed that your unconscious mind allowed you to fly and have supernatural abilities, but also communicated the message that it takes work and effort of some kind. It is perhaps trying to say that anything is possible, but it is not free.

You know, that is the feeling that I get from the dreams. That "flying" is not for free, and that it takes effort. But in the end it always pays off, because I end up flying and with the certainty that with more practice I'll be able to fly freely!

Breton said:
Ok, maybe that was not worth much, but those are the thoughts that your sharing awoke in me

It was worth it Breton, you just put into words what was lurking on the back of my mind :)

no-man's-land said:
I had learn to fly over a very long period. First, it was like to swim through the air, paddling with my arms. Very tough and strength-sapping. With the years, it become easier and then I could fly only through my thoughts.

Interesting no-man's-land. The type of effort you described in your post is very similar to what I feel. However, I haven't learned how to fly better throughout the years, in every dream I am at the same stage of learning how to fly. The sense of continuity in your dreams seems to suggest something different.... I'm not sure of what that is though, but could it be related to some progressive freeing of a part of yourself, perhaps?

no-man's-land said:
If these things are reflections of the daily struggle, then, for me, its a mystery in what respect.

I was just thinking about it the other day, and at the moment I feel like trying to be super multitasking woman because I have so much going on in my life, all of it of a practical nature. So that, for me, could be a possibility.
But here again, the continuity you spoke about in your flying dreams, where you become better at it throughout the years seems to suggest a progressive development of something. Just some thoughts, I'm not really good at dream interpretation.

Something that came to my mind recently and that has been somewhat bothering me, is that the last of these flying dreams happened around 3 years ago accompanied by another event. This only happened twice in my life (that I can recall), and it happened twice within the same month. In my sleep. I suddenly feel a presence with me, and that presence makes me so afraid that no words can convey it. The presence is real, and from my dream state I can feel that someone is touching my real body. I feel like as if being drugged, and I have an incredibly hard time to open my eyes. I hear that presence saying my name, and the voice scares me to death. It is a male voice, but has a machine like tone to it. It doesn't sound human and it is extremely cold. On both events, I felt that if I didn't wake up, something bad would happen, and with an immense effort, fighting to awaken, I managed to open my eyes.
The last time this happened, I was having the above mentioned flying dream. I was, as usual, doing great efforts to fly, and was progressively raising higher and higher when I suddenly feel that presence touching my real body. And then, it was as if the effort that I was applying to fly in my dream was directly directed onto awakening myself. After I woke up, there were no signs of the presence.

I'm not sure of whether the presence is related to the flying dream I had 3 years ago, it was a memory prompted by thinking about this.

Gertrudes said:
… I suddenly feel a presence with me, and that presence makes me so afraid that no words can convey it. The presence is real, and from my dream state I can feel that someone is touching my real body. I feel like as if being drugged, and I have an incredibly hard time to open my eyes. I hear that presence saying my name, and the voice scares me to death. It is a male voice, but has a machine like tone to it. It doesn't sound human and it is extremely cold. On both events, I felt that if I didn't wake up, something bad would happen, and with an immense effort, fighting to awaken, I managed to open my eyes.
The last time this happened, I was having the above mentioned flying dream. I was, as usual, doing great efforts to fly, and was progressively raising higher and higher when I suddenly feel that presence touching my real body. And then, it was as if the effort that I was applying to fly in my dream was directly directed onto awakening myself. After I woke up, there were no signs of the presence.

I also had dreams like yours.
In my dreams about flying I also had to put a great effort to learn how to.
To be more precise it always has to do something with faith and concentration.
(Someone mentioned the bicycle. Well, recently I have dreams in which I'm doing impossible to do various acrobatic things with bicycle. But I want to talk about something else. So…)
In these dreams about flying I'm always on the well-known places near my home. But these places are somehow different. And yes, without colors. It's always night, evening or dawn. Never daylight. There is never sun in these dreams.
In these dreams other people appear. Both, people I know and strangers.
Sometimes somebody show me how to fly and than I try to mimic that.
Sometimes other people make a pressure on me not to fly. As it is something undesirable, or even damn.
Then usually I try to show them that it's something natural, something that anyone can do just with a little effort.
But they are either shocked or not interested.
And then dream becomes unpleasant.
Suddenly I became aware of extremely frightening evil beings. And I'm forced to fight with them. But I'm still not ready. I'm feeling like I have to get more time to practice my skills. And they fly much better than me.
But some of those evil beings are not so smart. So I get „smart“ idea to cheat them, pretending that I'm one of them. But then I have to do something bad to convince them. And I have to hide from their superiors, because I can't deceive their superiors. And there is a war going on.
And sometimes as you describe it i have to put great effort to wake up, or something very bad would happen.

born2bewild said:
And then dream becomes unpleasant.
Suddenly I became aware of extremely frightening evil beings. And I'm forced to fight with them. But I'm still not ready. I'm feeling like I have to get more time to practice my skills. And they fly much better than me.
But some of those evil beings are not so smart. So I get „smart“ idea to cheat them, pretending that I'm one of them. But then I have to do something bad to convince them. And I have to hide from their superiors, because I can't deceive their superiors. And there is a war going on.
And sometimes as you describe it i have to put great effort to wake up, or something very bad would happen.

born2bewild, what are the frequency of these dreams? I'm just curious if they happen often/regularly or if they're just sporadic.

Shijing said:
born2bewild, what are the frequency of these dreams? I'm just curious if they happen often/regularly or if they're just sporadic.

I would say sporadic, but like many of us I don’t remember all of my dreams.

born2bewild said:
Shijing said:

OK, thanks :)

Shijing said:
born2bewild said:
Shijing said:

OK, thanks :)

Now I'm curious. Why are you asking me that? :)

born2bewild said:
Now I'm curious. Why are you asking me that? :)

Sure, sorry to be cryptic. I've been trying to gather information on dreams because there are some patterns that have been sticking out. The ones about flying on this thread, for example, are kind of interesting because some people suggest that the flying is symbolic of what is going on (astrally, ethereally, or whatever) during the sleep state, and then there's the thing that you and Gertrudes mentioned about the negative climaxes that seem to have something in common. Then there's another cluster of people who have recently reported a lack of dreaming except in specific key instances; then there's all the Laura dreams in multiple threads that we had a big group of about a month ago. I'm not very good with dream symbolism, but the typology itself can possibly be analyzed -- I'm just collecting data, and it's all speculative at this point.

Well I have recently experienced a period with lack of dreams.
However, it seems that the dreams returned.

born2bewild said:
Well I have recently experienced a period with lack of dreams.
However, it seems that the dreams returned.

Same here. Funny, once I wake up I can't seem to remember the dreams, I just have a feeling that I need to go back and finish it or something like that.

Related to the flying dreams, I used to frequently have two kinds of flying dreams.

Of the first kind, I would fly unassisted at times, by running and jumping high enough into the air to take off, or with the assistance of a huge bouncing ball or something to help me get high enough to let go and fly. These flying 'events' always required noticeable effort and I noticed that any 'break' would translate into an instant drop in altitude.

The other kind was as a small airplane or helicopter pilot. These particular dreams were so vivid, that in that state where you are waking up, yet you know you're still dreaming, I would swear to myself that, not only did I know how to fly, but that I would easily remember everything when I awoke fully.

Sadly, I totally lost confidence when fully awake, and I even realized how silly it was to be thinking a dream could "teach" me to operate a plane or helicopter. Hmmm.

Anyway, I would describe these dreams to my wife in rich detail and she would listen intently. Afterward she would remark how the story about the dream was so life-like it gave her goosebumps - like she was participating in my experience.

It wasn't long after that I noticed those flying dreams seemed to have stopped. This was prolly a couple of years ago.

Great topic Gertrudes.

I've had a number of flying dreams, somewhere in the dozens over as many years and the most recent just a few nights back.

The method of flying varies, some are instances of flying free over mountains and valleys, this one though was more like simply detaching and rising up from the body. The first time "flying" like this I don't recall but remember as recently as 10-years ago and vague memories as a toddler.

Other times my body will buzz and feel like that is about to take place but instead I wake up or turn, something breaks the force/event, the dream state. I First started "stopping it" from happening around the time of adolescence.

In general I take dreams of flight to be indicative of the desire for freedom, yet with reading some of the stories since finding this forum I have to admit to curiosity and speculation.

Seems like the content of the dream, where one is at in life, etc, would hold bearing worth pondering too.

kind regards.

PS - as for dream frequency, there are times I go through periods of not remembering, but often (and quite recently) a period will start where I remember 3-4 dreams a night for several nights. I've also noticed in my journals just this evening the frequency of certain dreams (dogs and places growing up) recurring 4-years back.

This is out of topic, but it may be interesting to Shijing. :)

This year I experienced something new while I sleep. It started after earthquake in Haiti or Chile…well, in that time.
Sometimes while I sleep I star to shiver and it is so intense that it wakes me up. The feeling is like it’s an weaker earthquake going on. You know like when really heavy truck pass near the building so everything vibrate.

Even when I wake up I’m still shivering for some time. Even my bad is vibrating. So first 3 times it scares me a little because I was convinced that it’s an earthquake.

Later I read in one of the last C's transcripts that other go through the same experience and it calmed me. So now I get used to that. ;)

Shijing said:
The ones about flying on this thread, for example, are kind of interesting because some people suggest that the flying is symbolic of what is going on (astrally, ethereally, or whatever) during the sleep state, and then there's the thing that you and Gertrudes mentioned about the negative climaxes that seem to have something in common.

Well, the negative climax only happened to me once after a flying dream. At the time it didn't seem to be part of the dream, but rather something that was happening parallel to it.

One a side note, after that last dream I posted here, my life took a turn that demanded a lot from me. I felt as if I were climbing up a mountain with the wind against me, and one 100kg bag on my back. Several things happened all at the same time, both in my general life, as well as in my own inner Work. So the flavour of that dream, of doing a great effort to achieve something, was the flavour of the months that followed it. At the moment I tend to think that the dream was reflecting the period of time that was about to come.

Bud said:
Related to the flying dreams, I used to frequently have two kinds of flying dreams.

Of the first kind, I would fly unassisted at times, by running and jumping high enough into the air to take off, or with the assistance of a huge bouncing ball or something to help me get high enough to let go and fly. These flying 'events' always required noticeable effort and I noticed that any 'break' would translate into an instant drop in altitude.

It is similar with me. In some dreams I simply fly, or rather, practice beginning to fly on my own, in other dreams I have some sort of tool, once it was a flying bicycle. In both cases a lot of effort is demanded for me to stay in the air, but it always gets better and easier at the end of the dream.

Herakles said:
Seems like the content of the dream, where one is at in life, etc, would hold bearing worth pondering too.

Yes, I think so too.

Bud said:
The other kind was as a small airplane or helicopter pilot. These particular dreams were so vivid, that in that state where you are waking up, yet you know you're still dreaming, I would swear to myself that, not only did I know how to fly, but that I would easily remember everything when I awoke fully.

Sadly, I totally lost confidence when fully awake, and I even realized how silly it was to be thinking a dream could "teach" me to operate a plane or helicopter. Hmmm.

Anyway, I would describe these dreams to my wife in rich detail and she would listen intently. Afterward she would remark how the story about the dream was so life-like it gave her goosebumps - like she was participating in my experience.

I've had dreams like that where I felt like I knew how to do something that I couldn't really do in real life -- it makes me wonder if there's some kind of past life thing going on there, in which case it wouldn't seem so silly, but who knows...

Herakles said:
Other times my body will buzz and feel like that is about to take place but instead I wake up or turn, something breaks the force/event, the dream state. I First started "stopping it" from happening around the time of adolescence.

Have you read any of Robert Monroe's books? He talks about a buzzing feeling that is similar to what you're describing.

born2bewild said:
This year I experienced something new while I sleep. It started after earthquake in Haiti or Chile…well, in that time.
Sometimes while I sleep I star to shiver and it is so intense that it wakes me up. The feeling is like it’s an weaker earthquake going on. You know like when really heavy truck pass near the building so everything vibrate.

Even when I wake up I’m still shivering for some time. Even my bad is vibrating. So first 3 times it scares me a little because I was convinced that it’s an earthquake.

Later I read in one of the last C's transcripts that other go through the same experience and it calmed me. So now I get used to that. ;)

Is this the one?:

April 25 said:
Q: (Bubbles) About a month ago, I woke up at night and my room was shaking. Was that an earthquake, or was I just psychically feeling an earthquake?

A: Vibrations within your nervous system.

Q: (Bubbles) Shook my room?

(Burma Jones) I used to have them.

(Bubbles) Was I shaking my room in my bed?

A: Yes.

Q: (Burma Jones) So is that the same thing that used to happen to me then, that I used to call my "personal earthquakes"?

A: Yes.

Q: (Bubbles) Why does it happen?

A: Your system is out of synch and this must be corrected rapidly.

Gertrudes said:
Well, the negative climax only happened to me once after a flying dream. At the time it didn't seem to be part of the dream, but rather something that was happening parallel to it.

That's what is kind of notable about it -- it seems to indicate some kind of outside interference. The machine-like tone you describe in the voice is also very John Keel. Maybe you were doing something right during the month that these two dreams happened that got someone's attention and made them mad.

Gertrudes said:
One a side note, after that last dream I posted here, my life took a turn that demanded a lot from me. I felt as if I were climbing up a mountain with the wind against me, and one 100kg bag on my back. Several things happened all at the same time, both in my general life, as well as in my own inner Work.

Hopefully there was a silver lining:

February 26 said:
A: Suffering activates neuro-chemicals which turn on DNA receptors.

Gertrudes said:
So the flavour of that dream, of doing a great effort to achieve something, was the flavour of the months that followed it. At the moment I tend to think that the dream was reflecting the period of time that was about to come.

That forward-looking quality is something that I've noticed in the last couple of dreams I've had. After it happens once, it makes you pay more attention to subsequent dreams!

Shijing said:
Is this the one?:

April 25 said:
A: Your system is out of synch and this must be corrected rapidly.

Yes.
And thank you for reminding me that such conditions should be corrected rapidly. :)
BTW, what do you think, what causes this unsynchronicity?

Shijing said:
Bud said:

I've had dreams like that where I felt like I knew how to do something that I couldn't really do in real life -- it makes me wonder if there's some kind of past life thing going on there, in which case it wouldn't seem so silly, but who knows...

I've thought about those particular dreams from a past life angle too. I was born in 1960, so I suppose it is feasible, especially considering:
By the onset of World War Two (1939-1945) flight instruments had been invented, airplanes were equipped with radar, and the first jet engine was already in production.
_http://www.aviation-safety-bureau.com/history-of-airplanes.html

Plus, I've always identified more with my German ancestry, from my mother's side. My mother's father was a researcher, inventor and experimenter with helicopters who brought his work over from Germany when they emigrated. According to my dad, this grandfather was experimenting with, and working on, aircraft engines here in the south of Georgia up to the time he died in 1960 (before I was born).

Interesting, indeed. :)

--------------------
Edit: for clarity

Back
Top Bottom