Dream I Could Fly

I will add that in the dreams I am not always implicitely flying. I often have to learn, how to fly, how to manoeuver. I may have had dreams where I could fly like a "super-hero", but I really don't remember these very well. Maybe it is because I decided to endeavour "to learn the flying process" from those dreams. Anyway it feels like if there just was something to understand, another approach to the self to be able to master it. It seems to take a kind of alchemical transformation. :) :)

Good flights...Respect

Sankara
Maybe we are attending the same 'flight school', as reading your post reminded me of some 'flying' dreams which occurred to me.

sankara said:
I will add that in the dreams I am not always implicitely flying. I often have to learn, how to fly, how to manoeuver. I may have had dreams where I could fly like a "super-hero", but I really don't remember these very well. Maybe it is because I decided to endeavour "to learn the flying process" from those dreams. Anyway it feels like if there just was something to understand, another approach to the self to be able to master it. It seems to take a kind of alchemical transformation. :) :) Good flights...Respect

Usually my dreams of flying had involved some kind of plane flying slowly at lower levels but then I had the high up one where I was flying over the African continent, and then one where I was flying up out of the house roof and hoping the neighbours wouldn't see that I was wearing an old tatty nightie :scared:

Then things got a bit more 'technical', I was stood looking over a wall into a field where about thirty or forty people were stood in a circle sort of chanting and breathing loudly, and a figure beside me said watch they are going to float up. Well right then I floated up, and the figure said 'stop, you have first to learn how to land'. The dream moved to the inside of a huge barn type of structure with a high up platform from which I had to 'jump/float' down. Somehow I couldn't seem to land in the right place, only sometimes I did which could have been by accident.

I haven't dreamed of flying since. So when you said...

'Anyway it feels like if there just was something to understand, another approach to the self to be able to master it. It seems to take a kind of alchemical transformation.

Those were my thoughts too. The clues must surely be in the dreams but as the unconscious is exactly that...'unconscious', it likely takes an external mirror to unlock the clues.

See you in class.. :D
c

Oh yes, the flying dreams. I had a bit of these dreams as a child, but what I find interesting about them looking back is that flying for me wasn't a mechanical experience. It didn't really have anything to do with the body per se. I had to "will" my flying. In other words, it was a mental activity. And I remember the start was always the most difficult...breaking through the inertia. Once I was up, well, then all was well...as long as I kept willing to fly.

Too bad I don't have these kinds of dreams anymore, at least not that I can recall.

Several years ago I had several dreams where I wasn't flying, per se, but jumping and floating. Last night I had this dream again, and only when reading this thread did I remember it. I was in a large room at Laura and the crew's chateau and jumped very high, controlling my descent back to the ground. It's an interesting feeling, and each time it happens I'm utterly convinced that it's real and I just have some ability to control how high I jump and how fast I fall down, more like floating than flying. I still remember one dream several years ago about making a series of these jumps in a large, hilly field. Good dreams!

Approaching Infinity said:
Several years ago I had several dreams where I wasn't flying, per se, but jumping and floating. Last night I had this dream again, and only when reading this thread did I remember it. I was in a large room at Laura and the crew's chateau and jumped very high, controlling my descent back to the ground. It's an interesting feeling, and each time it happens I'm utterly convinced that it's real and I just have some ability to control how high I jump and how fast I fall down, more like floating than flying. I still remember one dream several years ago about making a series of these jumps in a large, hilly field. Good dreams!

yeah my flying dreams always start with jumping and floating, higher with each jump. and as others remarked, it seems to be a mental activity and than anything mechanical. 4D pre-cursor effects i presume...

Oh I loved that movie as a kid! I hardly ever meet someone who remembers it!

In my dreams while a child I would just flap my arms and gain some off ground distance.
Eventually when I could reach the top tree level I didn't have to 'flap' anymore.

Now days if I'm having a flying dream I can just float around just with the will of going someplace,
although I rarely can think of a cool place to go so I tend to just drift off into normal dream land.

dant said:
Yes, I have have this often, flying in dreams and in even when I am awake.

That is why I loved the movie: "The Boy who could Fly".

Some people found this movie very sad or strange - but to
me - it is a constant reminder of what I experienced in my
thoughts and I remember it quite vividly. It also reminded
me of tragedy - the ability to overcome pain in the thought
that one can really do something, if one really puts their minds
to it... but then reality kicks in... no - I cannot, not while I am
in 3D.... drat! ;) I wonder why my Avatar is Peter Pan... Hmmm.

Another frequent flyer here, many dreams similar to those already desribed. Spoon's comment,
The Spoon said:
I've found that centring my attention in my chest area (possibly heart chakra related) seems to help flying a lot.
reminded me of a flying dream I had recently that had the feeling of a lesson/test. I was outside a (farm?)house with a group of people, next to a tree, and we were between the tree and the house. The others seemed to be there as observers. My task(?) was to levitate, which I did by leaning back and floating upward - with the main point of bouyancy being in my chest.

Recurrent flying dream

Since I was a child I've had several dreams about flying. However, the ability to fly in my dreams is not freely given, I always have to make a great effort to learn the skill. My mother, for example, tells me that when dreaming of flying she flies freely, and that it is an incredibly freeing sensation.

Well, I never felt that. Flying dreams for me have always been nice dreams, but I don't have the sensation of complete freedom that some people describe. The "flavour" of the dream is always similar, I am learning how to fly, either by myself or with help (once it was a flying bicycle), and I have to do a great effort to lift off and stay in the air. It feels good, new, and I know that I need to keep working and working in order to master it. As I practice, flying becomes a little easier and I am able to stay in the air for longer. Those dreams always finish with me flying a little bit better, but aware that I need to work a lot more in order to be able to stay in the air.

2 days ago I had a slightly different dream, but once again, a similar "flavour". In the dream I discovered that I had some supernatural abilities and was learning how to move things around without touching them, as well as floating myself off the ground. The dream had that same theme of having to work very hard to achieve it, and getting better at it with practice. Eventually I ended up floating and almost flying. The dream finished there, as it always does, with me getting better at it and the prospect of getting even better with plenty of practice.

The only thing that crosses my mind to interpret these dreams, is that working hard for whatever I am fighting for is crucial. Either that, or that I tend to work hard. Not sure if I'm missing something here, the dreams do seem quite straight forward, but I'm not very good at understanding them.

If anyone has any futher thoughts, they would be most welcomed :)

Re: Recurrent flying dream

I also have recurrent dreams about flying. In the last one an elderly couple watched me jumping off the ground and floating in the air. They were displeased about such outrageous behavior and I was also because I could not get real high and my flying was as slow as swimming.

What is the lesson? I don't know, but it reminds me of the story of the evil magician. He tells his sheep that they are eagles and can fly. My current abilities are such that I am still a sheep.

Hi Gertrudes
Dream action is about the dynamics of your own life (hopes, fears, questions, conflicts, way out of difficulties, possibilities, etc.) The dream action may use images from experiences of the previous day or so before, as well as others. The dream symbols may be both literal and symbolic interpretations – be curious and naïve in your interpretation.

Here are some questions to ask your-self, they may help. Or not.

When you re-experience the experiences in the dream, do they remind you of anything in life?

The setting, what does it feel like there? Does it remind you of anything in current life, any situation in life?

What does the ‘supernatural abilities’ mean to you? How does it ‘work’? What is it used for? (ask on the basis that I know nothing about it)

What is the ‘supernatural abilities’ like in your dream? How do you feel about it?

Does ‘supernatural abilities’ in your dream remind you of anything, any part of you, or anyone in your life? How?

As your dream appears to be mostly about action –

The action, events in the dream, what do they remind you of in your waking life?

What does the ‘learning to move things around without touching them’ mean to you? How does it ‘work’? What is it used for? (ask on the basis that I know nothing about it)

Ditto questions with – floating myself off the ground; floating and almost flying; work very hard to achieve; and getting better at it with practice.

Think about the dream as you go through the day, and test insights and ideas gained. Understand obvious metaphors. Keep using language and images of dream whenever possible. Interpretations may spring to light. String descriptions together to bridge dream experience to any situation in life. (Ref: adapted from Living Your Dreams by Gayle Delaney)

This may help, or not.

Hi Gertrudes,

Flying in dreams is generally associated with freedom (or the desire for it) from the mental and emotional things that tend to weight down one's spirit.

You may be aware on some level of progress in the Work.

Just a thought.

Thank you all for your insights.

Trevrizent said:
When you re-experience the experiences in the dream, do they remind you of anything in life?

Mmmmm, I think they do... what I think I can relate to is the feeling of doing effort to make something happen. Well, at this precise moment I am indeed making efforts to make several things happen at the same time. I feel that I have my hands full.

The setting of the dream seems to be irrelevant, as I can barely remember it. Just some houses and the sky. The same with supernatural abilities. It is something that I find curious, but to which I am not really drawn to. I feel that supernatural abilities in the dream, as in flying, are simply skills of a fantastic nature that I suddenly find myself doing.

Trevrizent said:
What does the ‘learning to move things around without touching them’ mean to you? How does it ‘work’? What is it used for? (ask on the basis that I know nothing about it)

Ditto questions with – floating myself off the ground; floating and almost flying; work very hard to achieve; and getting better at it with practice.

Well, the moving things around in the dream strikes me as an action that could be substituted by anything else of a "fantastic" nature. Perhaps I picked it up from the psi section of the forum because I never dreamt of it before, just flying. But the type of effort applied to perform these two actions was exactly the same. And that seems to really be the constant of these dreams: the effort I make.

Trevrizent said:
The action, events in the dream, what do they remind you of in your waking life?

The action itself, on a first thought, does not remind me of much. But once again, the intense effort applied, feels familiar. Also familiar is perhaps part of the nature of the action, something freeing, something that I am surprised to achieve.

Trevrizent said:
Think about the dream as you go through the day, and test insights and ideas gained. Understand obvious metaphors. Keep using language and images of dream whenever possible. Interpretations may spring to light. String descriptions together to bridge dream experience to any situation in life.

Will do, thanks!

Jerry said:
Flying in dreams is generally associated with freedom (or the desire for it) from the mental and emotional things that tend to weight down one's spirit.

You may be aware on some level of progress in the Work.

Now that you mention it, I have indeed gone through a few changes in my interior life recently. I posted it a couple of days ago in the EE thread, and it basically has to do with letting go of the past and of a part of me that I no longer seem to need.
I had not linked this with the dream....

I will give this further thought, I think there is more to the dream that you have just awoken me to. Thanks again!

I like your dreams Gertrudes!

I am impressed that your unconscious mind allowed you to fly and have supernatural abilities, but also communicated the message that it takes work and effort of some kind. It is perhaps trying to say that anything is possible, but it is not free.

Do you remember this from Laura:

"There is no free lunch in the universe. If you think there is, then you are lunch".

Your dream could be your unconsciousness or something that is playing with this idea of the universe as lessons with unlimited possibilities but nothing is free or without some effort. And it can be fun.

Ok, maybe that was not worth much, but those are the thoughts that your sharing awoke in me.

Gertrudes said:
Since I was a child I've had several dreams about flying. However, the ability to fly in my dreams is not freely given, I always have to make a great effort to learn the skill....

....I have to do a great effort to lift off and stay in the air. It feels good, new, and I know that I need to keep working and working in order to master it. As I practice, flying becomes a little easier and I am able to stay in the air for longer. Those dreams always finish with me flying a little bit better, but aware that I need to work a lot more in order to be able to stay in the air.

2 days ago I had a slightly different dream, but once again, a similar "flavour". In the dream I discovered that I had some supernatural abilities and was learning how to move things around without touching them, as well as floating myself off the ground. The dream had that same theme of having to work very hard to achieve it, and getting better at it with practice. Eventually I ended up floating and almost flying. The dream finished there, as it always does, with me getting better at it and the prospect of getting even better with plenty of practice.

Hi Gertrudes

I experience the exact same thing. Flying is a relative common theme in my dreams and like you, I had learn to fly over a very long period. First, it was like to swim through the air, paddling with my arms. Very tough and strength-sapping. With the years, it become easier and then I could fly only through my thoughts. One time I had some kind of air battle with a super futuristic jet fighter and back then I could fly as fast as I want and make any move I want (even take people with me). That was pretty cool and the feeling, just fantastic.

To move things with the thoughts is, too, something I try to do, but with much less success. This is still very difficult and needs very much energy (it almost hurts). Only small things seem to be movable with less effort.

To learn to fly and to move things with thoughts is like a learning process, but what to learn? I have no clue. It seems there is some progress, but in what area? If these things are reflections of the daily struggle, then, for me, its a mystery in what respect.

Sorry if I can not add something usefull, but I want to let you know that you are not the only one who's learning these things in the long run. :)

I've had a couple of flying dreams, 4 that I can remember.

One was more like having extraordinary jumping ability and feather weigth, and the dream was really fun, playing at how high and far I could jump overcoming the fear of sudden drops or loosing ability.

The most recent two where situated in the park outside the school I attended in childhood (age 3-17), a park with alot of emotional weigth to me; childhood depressions imprinted there, not enjoying school and seeing others play and not feeling secure or adequate enough to join, etc. In the dream I also have to flap my arms and learning to relieve myself of weigth/gravity in my center body, a practice I try to show the kids who pass but who are just not interested. I remember after the last time of dreaming that one; a thrill, not just the memory of fun dreamtime but the feeling of having lost some emotional cargo bound to that park.

Back
Top Bottom