As an exceptionally smart person commented to me about the movie Avatar:

So what we have here is the idea that it is cool for an alien race (from the native perception) to essentially inhabit genetically created bodies of the native race and infiltrate that race in an effort to convince them (or force them) to move off their land so that it can be mined by the alien race.

Sound familiar?

Just watched and thought it was great. After watching Palestinians Dress as Avatar Navi to Protest Israeli Wall we can see how the imagery of the Navi can be a powerful way of highlighting the Palestinian cause.

Interesting article below on how parallels with current wars and Palestine:

Avatar: Planet Pandora or Palestine?

Monday, March 08, 2010
Dr Bouthaina Shaaban

Despite the technological effects with which the director of “Avatar” crams his movie, the reason behind its popularity is not only these technological effects but the themes which touch every human conscience. This is in addition to the symbolism of the movie: details of the conflict between peoples and their invaders form Iraq to Afghanistan, Pakistan, and first and foremost, Palestine. The source of all these conflicts is, as usual, the greed which is usually masked by other pretexts and justifications.

It is not true that the theme of the movie is simple or that it addresses “the rupture in the link between man and nature,” as the movie director James Cameron says. It symbolically portrays the essence of conflicts in today’s world and their physical, moral and human implications in cinematic language without the blood scenes that the world can no longer stand.

Through this movie I lived the story of the Palestinian, Iraqi, Afghan and Lebanese peoples and the brutal wars waged against them; where the West treats these peoples as if they were the children of the “Navi” tribe with their blue clothes in their planet Pandora. Viewers all over the world can see the essence of the conflict which is masked by games that have become facts in the minds of Westerners in order to purge their consciences of the necessity of fighting for justice and the human rights of the natives who are being robbed, destroyed and distorted everyday. Viewers are made to feel the need for the Western Value systems to be developed so that they accept the existence and diversity of other cultures.

Settlers landed on planet Pandora driven by the greed for its wealth. Their calculations were focussed on the material gains which they can only get through possessing the land and its natural resources. To be able to do that they had either to kill or expel the Navi who strongly belong to their land, nature, holy tree and their customs which show equal respect to human life and nature in utter contrast to the attitude of the invading settlers who mock sanctities and human respect for nature. They only see the things which give them large amounts of money.

This contrast between the values of the two cultures is at the essence of the creation of Israel. For 70 years, it has killed the Palestinians on a daily basis, Judaized their holy places, settled their land, confiscated their water, uprooted their trees, mocked their beliefs, their commitment to their land and their lifestyle. Those who created this settlement, armed to the teeth with hatred, and provided it with the weapons of destruction are well known for their greed for oil.

The movie needs only the Navi natives of planet Pandora to raise the Palestinian flag and the invaders to carry the Israeli flag to become a detailed reading of the Israeli settlement of Palestine with modern cinematic technique, but also with symbolic nuance that illustrates the nature of this conflict. This applies to the American invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan in the same way it applies to the fate of peoples and tribes annihilated in the United States, Australia and Latin America.

I suggest that demonstrators against Israeli occupation wear the blue shirts of the Navi tribe in order to make it easier for westerners to understand their cause. Invaders always target the people’s beliefs and holy places; that is why Israel is committing another robbery by confiscating Islamic holy places in the Sanctuary of Abraham (al-Haram al-Ibrahimi) in Hebron, Bilal Mosque, which like al-Aqsa Mosque, are branches of the holy tree for hundreds of millions of Muslims who defend them in as much as they defend their land.

What Israeli occupation authorities are doing, in addition to spreading war and terrorism throughout the region and the world, is the destruction of a civilization, a people, a value system, a lifestyle and a coherent natural and social environment in order to control resources, water and land, to the extent that the Israeli prime minister says that these Muslim holy places he is usurping to be Jewish are “as important as the Israeli Army.” This is because the objective is to destroy the original identity of the land and the population and replace it with the identity of the settlers which knows nothing but looting, and is willing to commit the ugliest crimes for this objective.

No American movie can address such a subject without resorting to symbolism. The destruction of a civilization makes it necessary for the invaders, as usual, to accuse the natives of the ugliest crimes. Although the movie included hints made by the invaders about “the brutality of the natives” and the mocking of their sanctities and lifestyle, the translation of this part in the context of today’s conflicts constitutes an important part of the political and media reality on planet earth today. How can waging a war on the Iraqi people, who are steeped in civilization, tradition, knowledge and moral values, be justified? And how could massacres be committed for over seven decades against civilians in Palestine and their leaders assassinated in all corners of the globe? This is in addition to distorting the image of the natives in the media, the natives who are in this case Arabs and Muslims, so that killing or persecuting them because their women wear headscarves becomes justified. They claim that killing the native is “necessary for saving Western civilization from a great danger.” Even an architectural element like a minaret becomes a “dangerous threat.”

The media machine divides people into two types: the first is definitely a native, strictly a Muslim Arab; and the second is the Israeli settler who cannot be touched by the charge of terrorism even if he committed the most heinous terrorist crime in full sight of the whole world. Otherwise, how can we explain that Muslims are accused of terrorism and assassinated for mere suspicion, while those who converged in Dubai from different capitals of the world, armed with cutting edge technology and equipped with European and Australian passports to carry out a terrorist operation are not accused of terrorism?

Avatar tells the story of the natives of planet Pandora and shows the injustice meted out by the greedy invaders against the Navi people. Who would dare produce a movie about Palestine which tells the story of Arabs’ struggle for justice and freedom on planet earth and for salvation from the oppression of Israeli settlers and their biblical pretexts.
http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article.asp?edition_id=10&categ_id=2&article_id=112442

Puck said:
-SPOILER-
I also tend to see the movie being about personal transformation, and don't really understand the whole 'great white savior' bit. In point of fact Jake goes on to become a Na'vi in body as well as mind, so the fact that he started out as a white marine really was unimportant imho.

I couldn't agree with you more. This 'racist' aspect of Avatar is totally uncalled for. People who wanna see 'The white savior' will see it in the movie, they'll project it into it.

As for the STS-STO depiction, the way the Na'vi are in the movie is too fantastical for some viewers. I couldn't imagine what word they would use to describe a tribe that can bring down an entire US fleet with the power of a rock or two.
Or they might only need one, like Rambo. Toss it against the helicopter and of course it's going to crash and burn.

fwiw, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I have cried many times as well as others. Even though it was the first film I saw in 3D, I had no problem adjusting to the glasses or the screen. It was beautiful.

The plot might be familiar for some, might be conventional or unoriginal for others but it definitely hasn't been told this way before.

Pob said:
Just watched and thought it was great. After watching Palestinians Dress as Avatar Navi to Protest Israeli Wall we can see how the imagery of the Navi can be a powerful way of highlighting the Palestinian cause.

Interesting article below on how parallels with current wars and Palestine:

Avatar: Planet Pandora or Palestine?

Monday, March 08, 2010
Dr Bouthaina Shaaban

Despite the technological effects with which the director of “Avatar” crams his movie, the reason behind its popularity is not only these technological effects but the themes which touch every human conscience. This is in addition to the symbolism of the movie: details of the conflict between peoples and their invaders form Iraq to Afghanistan, Pakistan, and first and foremost, Palestine. The source of all these conflicts is, as usual, the greed which is usually masked by other pretexts and justifications.

It is not true that the theme of the movie is simple or that it addresses “the rupture in the link between man and nature,” as the movie director James Cameron says. It symbolically portrays the essence of conflicts in today’s world and their physical, moral and human implications in cinematic language without the blood scenes that the world can no longer stand.

Through this movie I lived the story of the Palestinian, Iraqi, Afghan and Lebanese peoples and the brutal wars waged against them; where the West treats these peoples as if they were the children of the “Navi” tribe with their blue clothes in their planet Pandora. Viewers all over the world can see the essence of the conflict which is masked by games that have become facts in the minds of Westerners in order to purge their consciences of the necessity of fighting for justice and the human rights of the natives who are being robbed, destroyed and distorted everyday. Viewers are made to feel the need for the Western Value systems to be developed so that they accept the existence and diversity of other cultures.

Settlers landed on planet Pandora driven by the greed for its wealth. Their calculations were focussed on the material gains which they can only get through possessing the land and its natural resources. To be able to do that they had either to kill or expel the Navi who strongly belong to their land, nature, holy tree and their customs which show equal respect to human life and nature in utter contrast to the attitude of the invading settlers who mock sanctities and human respect for nature. They only see the things which give them large amounts of money.

This contrast between the values of the two cultures is at the essence of the creation of Israel. For 70 years, it has killed the Palestinians on a daily basis, Judaized their holy places, settled their land, confiscated their water, uprooted their trees, mocked their beliefs, their commitment to their land and their lifestyle. Those who created this settlement, armed to the teeth with hatred, and provided it with the weapons of destruction are well known for their greed for oil.

The movie needs only the Navi natives of planet Pandora to raise the Palestinian flag and the invaders to carry the Israeli flag to become a detailed reading of the Israeli settlement of Palestine with modern cinematic technique, but also with symbolic nuance that illustrates the nature of this conflict. This applies to the American invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan in the same way it applies to the fate of peoples and tribes annihilated in the United States, Australia and Latin America.

I suggest that demonstrators against Israeli occupation wear the blue shirts of the Navi tribe in order to make it easier for westerners to understand their cause. Invaders always target the people’s beliefs and holy places; that is why Israel is committing another robbery by confiscating Islamic holy places in the Sanctuary of Abraham (al-Haram al-Ibrahimi) in Hebron, Bilal Mosque, which like al-Aqsa Mosque, are branches of the holy tree for hundreds of millions of Muslims who defend them in as much as they defend their land.

What Israeli occupation authorities are doing, in addition to spreading war and terrorism throughout the region and the world, is the destruction of a civilization, a people, a value system, a lifestyle and a coherent natural and social environment in order to control resources, water and land, to the extent that the Israeli prime minister says that these Muslim holy places he is usurping to be Jewish are “as important as the Israeli Army.” This is because the objective is to destroy the original identity of the land and the population and replace it with the identity of the settlers which knows nothing but looting, and is willing to commit the ugliest crimes for this objective.

No American movie can address such a subject without resorting to symbolism. The destruction of a civilization makes it necessary for the invaders, as usual, to accuse the natives of the ugliest crimes. Although the movie included hints made by the invaders about “the brutality of the natives” and the mocking of their sanctities and lifestyle, the translation of this part in the context of today’s conflicts constitutes an important part of the political and media reality on planet earth today. How can waging a war on the Iraqi people, who are steeped in civilization, tradition, knowledge and moral values, be justified? And how could massacres be committed for over seven decades against civilians in Palestine and their leaders assassinated in all corners of the globe? This is in addition to distorting the image of the natives in the media, the natives who are in this case Arabs and Muslims, so that killing or persecuting them because their women wear headscarves becomes justified. They claim that killing the native is “necessary for saving Western civilization from a great danger.” Even an architectural element like a minaret becomes a “dangerous threat.”

The media machine divides people into two types: the first is definitely a native, strictly a Muslim Arab; and the second is the Israeli settler who cannot be touched by the charge of terrorism even if he committed the most heinous terrorist crime in full sight of the whole world. Otherwise, how can we explain that Muslims are accused of terrorism and assassinated for mere suspicion, while those who converged in Dubai from different capitals of the world, armed with cutting edge technology and equipped with European and Australian passports to carry out a terrorist operation are not accused of terrorism?

Avatar tells the story of the natives of planet Pandora and shows the injustice meted out by the greedy invaders against the Navi people. Who would dare produce a movie about Palestine which tells the story of Arabs’ struggle for justice and freedom on planet earth and for salvation from the oppression of Israeli settlers and their biblical pretexts.
http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article.asp?edition_id=10&categ_id=2&article_id=112442

Finally just watched this film last weekend without the 3-d option that people have talked about. Thanks Pob for the article, "...the reason behind its popularity is not only these technological effects but the themes which touch every human conscience."

The Palestine analogy and so many many more through our human history come to mind. Surly this film must spark consciousness into seeing through the veil of these things; can it be carried over into our human reality is another question, maybe it will for some, but perhaps it will just be another in a continual line of film entertainment that helps one to disassociate from reality.

Dr Bouthaina Shaaban is on track when asking the question, "Who would dare produce a movie about Palestine which tells the story of Arabs’ struggle for justice and freedom on planet earth and for salvation from the oppression of Israeli settlers and their biblical pretexts."

Who indeed, hence our works in fiction telling of great truths.

I'd have to agree Parallax.

We watched the film recently and the Native American theme was high on my mind.

Could've likely been done better, but very thought provoking(what if it would have turned out this way for the Native Americans?) and entertaining as well.

There also seemed to be an element of 4D in there. Or maybe a 3D STO world?

I guess there will be a sequel?

cholas said:

James Cameron has admitted himself that Avatar is basically 'Dances with Wolves' in Space. However it doesn't make it a bad movie, there is still a lot to take away from it.

cholas said:
I'd have to agree Parallax.

Could've likely been done better, but very thought provoking(what if it would have turned out this way for the Native Americans?) and entertaining as well.

There also seemed to be an element of 4D in there. Or maybe a 3D STO world?

I agree with you Cholas. My first impression was that when the soldier shed his old body and entered the body of the Avatar at the end of the movie, it represented to me the possibility that the message was meant for those who are candidates for 4D. The 3D bodies will be shed and the souls will enter the bodies in 4D. Or the 3D bodies will transform into 4D bodies. Who knows how it will be when the changes do occur, I am just a 3D human who loved the movie and was a little too emotional about it. Hey, I would even go for the bug that turned into a glowing umbrella when touched. The bug seemed to be more free than many of us humans are in 3D.

Finally got to see this the other night. My impression of it was that the “native american theme” could be applied; but so could the Palestinian genoside in gaza and the war in Iraq. I think it’s a metaphorical movie for any full out invasion where people with more technology have the upperhand and destroy and defile the land of the ‘natives’ that live on that land.

*Spoiler Alert*

I have to admit that I got emotional when the humans attacked and destroyed the big tree. And I couldn’t help but think of all the injustices and all the invasions throughout mankind’s history.
The movie had some very corny moments such as the name of the mineral they were after, “unubtainium”. But all in all, I really enjoyed the visuals on Pandora and the graphics.
Story could have been better- but I don’t expect much of story from any big budget Hollywood movie.

cholas said:

Yup- It's set to come out in 2014.

Some more info on this site including Jame's Camron's comments about Avatar 2.

"I've had a storyline in mind from the start -- there are even scenes in 'Avatar' that I kept in because they lead to the sequel," Cameron said. "It just makes sense to think of it as a two or three film arc, in terms of the business plan. The CG plants and trees and creatures and the musculo-skeletal rigging of the main characters -- that all takes an enormous amount of time to create. It'd be a waste not to use it again."

Cameron has also hinted that the heroes will venture to some of Polyphemus's other moons in the film and possibly the planet as well. He also confirmed that Avatar 2 will explore the Na'vi culture more than Avatar.

On April 20, 2010 Cameron confirmed that Avatar 2 will explore the oceans of Pandora. [4] Three days after, it was confirmed that Avatar 2 will be several years after the events of the original film

Also this http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1630029/

I will say this. First of all, I liked it a lot.

When I came out of the movie, I felt like i was drugged. I thought it was the 3-D effect and coming back to reality.

We bought the movie last week and watched it as a family. Non - 3D. When the movie was over, I again felt like i was drugged or coming off a drug or something.

It was just enough to concern me that there may be something under the surface. Anyone else feel that? SJ

I watched it today, reminded me of native Indians, but it wasn't realistic like most Hollywood movies. When he asks for help of nature at that tree this woman says to him that it's all about balance, that nature doesn't interfere which is true, and in reality they would be wiped away and died fighting colonists like natives did, this happened, it will happen always, and it's happening right now, it's the way it goes. But then people don't go to cinemas to watch movies that reflect reality because they have enough of that, happy ending gives them some kind oh false hope and good feeling to make their lives tolerable, it's the conditioning that only positive ending is good but in reality it's grey. I think D9 is closer to Palestinian situation then this movie, but they didn't have to go to some far planet to show this.

danny, I didn't feel like I was drugged but I do remember feeling profoundly sad; I absolutely balled when the big tree went down. And I've read a lot of blogs/posts on other forums that describe that same thing from other people regarding feeling sad. Their sadness, and in truth mine, came from really wanting the world to be like it was for the Na'vi. Many posts talked about how they sort of woke up from a haze after the movie and realized how much they really hated our world. I'd even heard of people feeling suicidal. I can't say for certain whether there was something underneath the movie or not, but my feeling would be probably not, simply because James Cameron obviously has a desire to wake people up to the realities of the world as we know it. I thought his movie did an UNBELIEVABLE job of that. Maybe I'm being naive but I hope not. ;)

SilverJeep said:
I will say this. First of all, I liked it a lot.

When I came out of the movie, I felt like i was drugged. I thought it was the 3-D effect and coming back to reality.

We bought the movie last week and watched it as a family. Non - 3D. When the movie was over, I again felt like i was drugged or coming off a drug or something.

It was just enough to concern me that there may be something under the surface. Anyone else feel that? SJ

I watched the movie last night, first time, at home, no 3d... My thoughts during the ordeal:
- have they crammed every(bad) cowboy vs. indian-movie into one?
- without the special effects would this be a film at all?
- the people who watched this at the theaters(big screen, 3d and all) must have been flabbergasted and not able to see it for what it is - rubbish(at best)

notes:
- my spouse couldn't bare to watch the tree scene(had to go elsewere), she had seen the film at the theaters with my elder daughter...
- felt feelings felt "forced"(the little there was due to lack of 3d)

conclusion:
- the 'real deal' at the theaters must have been a "squishfest"

3D, 3D imax & regular dvd (blah) Blueray (nice better than 3D)
:halo: (they annoyed me until I went, environmentalist how could I not go see it with them? they paid for it too, I know bad excuses)
my first 3D - a world where butterflies run on batteries - Terminator at FL Universal
they reused some of the robots & helicopter things form it.

Didn't disassociate, to me it was an environmental childrens' movie with violence.
movie was just like a video game storyline on a movie screen nothing new for me
(Naussica, Final Fantasy Movie, lots of other animes, trees are interlinked with humans/aliens, machine city against nature people, planet is sentient, I wanted to be a planet TMI - Too Much Information)

ack my thoughts seem so disorganized, will things get better the more I post?

It was the first time some people watched 3D.
I have to admit it was funny watching them jump
paid more attention to their faces and actions then the movie

Approaching Infinity said:
It could have been a good anti-war film, but instead it glorified violence as an acceptable means of conflict resolution, like most Hollywood movies.

yep like V, V for vendetta, Matrix the only solution presented for general audience is violence

Adobe said:
Large 12‘-14’ aliens = good, and human race = bad. I would like to mind melding and be with them and leave the humans. I don’t want to be here anymore, I want to become one of them.

Afraid of my self...
:-[ Was Guilty of that during age 0 - 22 didn't want to be here, what changed? this site and other things helped me change. Now its the other way around I belong here. (yikes! the things I wrote [deleted] and came to my mind, and a real live scorpion was trying to go down my sleeve indoors that's crazy) Polarity Principle I have so much to learn...

:rotfl: ROTFLMAO a few years ago I would have been in lalaland and be like this nut:
Hello all. Would anyone of you be interested in forming an actual Na'vi Tribe?
I would like for it to actually be a physical organization with live people, and a Tribal Council. For it to start, you have to be physically located in the Gulf Coast region of the United States.

You will need to be in Pensacola, Florida to become a citizen of the tribe. Here is the detail: You must remember that we are trying to set up an actual tribe. This is not an Avatar Fan Club (even though you can start one after our tribe is established)!
The goal of the tribe is to form a new ethnicity that anyone can be a part of, irrespective of politics, corruption and other issues. It is not a role playing group.

_http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1242409/The-Avatar-effect-Movie-goers-feel-depressed-suicidal-able-visit-utopian-alien-planet.html#ixzz0pqzF9MUH

Ana said:
I think of it as different units of consciousness interacting, if there is a consciousness unit more aware and alert interacting with a group of sleeping units, the chaotic energy of the sleeping ones and the energy of the more aware unit will interact as two opposing forces.
The only one noticing the impact is the more aware unit, too much noise and chaos together OSIT :P

yep that happens to me.
Also watch out for people who are awake on the other side.
They know that you are different and you know that they are different too.
Only ran into one that tried to instigate a verbal fight (he must have been a new herder a sheep that thinks he's a shepherd, I'm guessing that's why he was intimidated by my presence) I just acted stupid like I didn't know. Most leave me alone or don't have a chance to get that close to me.

:wow: I must learn when to stop writing so much? I wonder how much of this is useful. So many posts here are so eloquently written (express themselves so well with words) and mine seem so skitzo :(

wasn't going to post this but then I remember Board Lurker? Read this!!!
so I'm going to hit the post button

The story was disappointing because it was just too simplistic. It felt like an 80 minute feature spread out over two and a half hours. However I did find it profoundly moving in places.

I find it interesting that many of us have been moved to tears by the suffering depicted in this film, the destruction of nature, I know I was. But I haven't been moved to tears by seeing the destruction of people and countries in real life! True, I get angry, but it troubles me that a movie can get me crying and reality of the suffering of others does not. :( I need to really ponder that.

Also, whilst I can see some room for metaphorical interpretation, it reminded me far more of a kind of will to power thing, particularly reminiscent of the C's quote on the fate of the native Americans and how that relates to us all. The ending seemed a false high as well. Surely more ships will be coming to Pandora at a later date?

I find Approaching Infinity's point about the question of the neccessity for violent resistance very interesting, as it relates to my viewing of the youtube vid linked by Laura on the Helen Thomas article on today's sott. There's a point in the film where you see a woman with a loudspeaker attempting to reason with a tank. Would any of us have done that in Nazi Germany? Maybe the glass is always half empty with me, but does this method ever work? You can't reason with a tank, or a psychopath. But you can expose them. This ties in nicely with another teary eyed moment for me in Avatar, when I pondered my uselessness, shuffling about, worrying about how I'm going to restructure my diet. It was when the Navi tribe were hunting, brave warrior souls. And I contrasted it with my own reality and I just felt pathetic, and I blubbed again. I think the point I'm trying to make here is a sense of impotence in the face of horror. I'm gonna use it as fire to gee myself up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom