Aspartame

Epilepsy Study Incriminates Aspartame in Medications

Dr. Glen Mabson OpEd News Fri, 18 Jul 2008 00:00 EDT
The Pacific Epilepsy Society in affiliation with the Epileptic Foundation of Maui has completed a seven year study on Epilepsy and Seizures, finding that epilepsy is at an all time high in Hawaii and the western states and Pacific Ocean Territories. There has been a 100% increase over the two previous years. See EFM Survey, Freedom of Info Act 2000-2008 & EFM Survey 1999-03.

The most profound reason for the spectacular increase in seizures is the inclusion of the drug Aspartame in with the new larger sized anti-seizure drugs: Dilantin, Depacoat, Tegratol and several others produced by major pharmaceutical corporations.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm more than a bit puzzled about this article. I read it with a great deal of alarm - it would be really insidious to put aspartame in anti-seizure drugs - unconscionable, really.

I stewed on it a couple of days and then went to check the package inserts for Dilantin and Depakote. -- as I understand it, by law, they have to include all the ingredients in the pill, including inactive ingredients like food color and flavorings. --

The puzzling part is that aspartame is not listed on any of the dilantin pill (including chewables) or Depakote pill inserts. the new dilantin 100mg pill looks as described in the article, and it does have a sweetener listed - but the sweetener is confectioners sugar.

Could this article be based on pills made for non-U.S. markets? Am I missing something here?

This is a pretty inflammatory article (at least it got me pissed off) -- what purpose would it serve if it's untrue?

On the other hand, it might serve a purpose to hide aspartame being in commercial medications - but I don't know how one could legally do that.

anyone else have thoughts or input on this?
dj

That's a rather old topic, however no link was provided to a very good documentary about aspartame including patients testimonies, scientists interview, history of the FDA agreement...

The title of the documentary as mentioned in the first post of this thread is Sweet misery.

I know this thread is kind of old, but I am so glad I read it.

My mom has been trying to get me to stop drinking Diet Coke for a while now. I started drinking it instead of Coke to lose weight about 3 years ago maybe. I have been wondering why it is so hard for me to stop drinking it. I thought it was the caffeine but I have a huge craving for the Diet Coke even when I drink other things with caffeine.

Well, since I have noticed how fast I am going through the Diet Cokes and how I will go out of my way to get one, I have decided as of this moment, to stop drinking them. I just poured out the diet coke I was drinking and asked my mom to please help me stop drinking them. It was even hard for me to pour it out! I kept thinking, well I should just drink this one last one, but I knew if I gave in there I would quit after the next one and the next one and the next one. I know this is something I need to stop drinking so here it goes.

Brenda86 said:
Well, since I have noticed how fast I am going through the Diet Cokes and how I will go out of my way to get one, I have decided as of this moment, to stop drinking them.

Great, another step in favor of a better health. :thup:

And you must know now after reading that thread that aspartame is very bad for our health.

Bohort (Namaste) said:
Brenda86 said:
Well, since I have noticed how fast I am going through the Diet Cokes and how I will go out of my way to get one, I have decided as of this moment, to stop drinking them.

And you must know now after reading that thread that aspartame is very bad for our health.
Bohort (Namaste) said:
Brenda86 said:

Definitely. I can't believe I've been ingesting the stuff so long. I was also disappointed to find out my water filter does not remove the fluoride from my water. Not sure what to do about the fluoride, though, cause I drink a lot of water, too, and I really cannot afford bottled water and I've been reading that even some of those are fluoridated. Oh and I do know for certain that the water where I'm at is fluoridated.

Brenda86 said:
Definitely. I can't believe I've been ingesting the stuff so long. I was also disappointed to find out my water filter does not remove the fluoride from my water. Not sure what to do about the fluoride, though, cause I drink a lot of water, too, and I really cannot afford bottled water and I've been reading that even some of those are fluoridated. Oh and I do know for certain that the water where I'm at is fluoridated.

Well, it is very important to not drink fluoride water. So, i am not 100% sure about it but you could verify it but i think the Brita filter eliminates the fluorine and they are not very expensive.

but i think the Brita filter eliminates the fluorine and they are not very expensive.

It is my understanding that Brita Filters do not eliminate fluoride. The only successful methods to remove it are reverse osmosis and distillation.

AminoSweet new name for Aspartame

Received this morning from Dr Mercola's newsletter:

America's Deadliest Sweetener Betrays Millions, Then Hoodwinks You With Name Change
Posted by: Dr. Mercola
March 02 2010 | 67,914 views

Aspartame producer Ajinomoto is launching a new initiative that will rebrand the sweetener as “AminoSweet”.

Aspartame is used in many foods and beverages marketed as low calorie or sugar-free. However, its reputation has been clouded somewhat by studies that have investigated reports of ill effects.

Just to remind you, the side effects of aspartame can include:

Headache
Change in vision
Convulsions and seizures
Hallucination
Nausea and vomiting
Joint pain
It can cause many, many other problems as well.

From: _http://www.foodbev.com/news/ajinomoto-brands-aspartame-aminosweet

Note from Dr Mercola:

Aspartame is the most controversial food additive in history, and its approval for use in food was the most contested in FDA history. In the end, the artificial sweetener was approved, not on scientific grounds, but rather because of strong political and financial pressure. After all, aspartame was previously listed by the Pentagon as a biochemical warfare agent!

It’s hard to believe such a chemical would be allowed into the food supply, but it was, and it has been wreaking silent havoc with people’s health for the past 30 years.

The truth is, it should never have been released onto the market, and allowing it to remain in the food chain is seriously hurting people – no matter how many times you rebrand it under fancy new names.

The Deceptive Marketing of Aspartame

Sold commercially under names like NutraSweet, Canderel, and now AminoSweet, aspartame can be found in more than 6,000 foods, including soft drinks, chewing gum, table-top sweeteners, diet and diabetic foods, breakfast cereals, jams, sweets, vitamins, prescription and over-the-counter drugs.

Aspartame producer Ajinomoto chose to rebrand it under the name AminoSweet, to “remind the industry that aspartame tastes just like sugar, and that it’s made from amino acids – the building blocks of protein that are abundant in our diet.”

This is deception at its finest: Begin with a shred of truth, and then spin it to fit your own agenda.

In this case, the agenda is to make you believe that aspartame is somehow a harmless, natural sweetener made with two amino acids that are essential for health and present in your diet already.

They want you to believe aspartame delivers all the benefits of sugar and none of its drawbacks. But nothing could be further from the truth.

How Aspartame Wreaks Havoc on Your Health

Did you know there have been more reports to the FDA for aspartame reactions than for all other food additives combined?

In fact, there are over 10,000 official complaints, but by the FDA’s own admission, less than 1 percent of those who experience a reaction to a product ever report it. So in all likelihood, the toxic effects of aspartame may have affected roughly a million people already.

While a variety of symptoms have been reported, almost two-thirds of them fall into the neurological and behavioral category consisting mostly of headaches, mood alterations, and hallucinations. The remaining third is mostly gastrointestinal symptoms.

This video will familiarize you with some of the terrifying side-effects and health problems you could encounter if you consume products containing this chemical.

Unfortunately, aspartame toxicity is not well-known by doctors, despite its frequency. Diagnosis is also hampered by the fact that it mimics several other common health conditions, such as:

Multiple sclerosis Parkinson's disease
Alzheimer's disease Fibromyalgia
Arthritis Multiple chemical sensitivity
Chronic fatigue syndrome Attention deficit disorder
Panic disorder Depression and other psychological disorders
Lupus Diabetes and diabetic complications
Birth defects Lymphoma
Lyme disease Hypothyroidism

How Diet Foods and Drinks CAUSE Weight Problems

In recent years, food manufacturers have increasingly focused on developing low-calorie foods and drinks to help you maintain a healthy weight and avoid obesity. Unfortunately, the science behind these products is so flawed, most of these products can actually lead to increased weight gain!

For example, researchers have discovered that drinking diet soda increases your risk of metabolic syndrome, and may double your risk of obesity – the complete opposite of the stated intention behind these “zero calorie” drinks.

The sad truth is that diet foods and drinks ruin your body's ability to count calories, and in fact stimulate your appetite, thus boosting your inclination to overindulge.

Unfortunately, most public health agencies and nutritionists in the United States recommend these toxic artificial sweeteners as an acceptable alternative to sugar, which is at best confusing and at worst harming the health of those who take their misguided advice.

Even More Toxic Dangers of Aspartame

Truly, there is enough evidence showing the dangers of consuming artificial sweeteners to fill an entire book -- which is exactly why I wrote Sweet Deception. If you or your loved ones drink diet beverages or eat diet foods, this book will explain how you've been deceived about the truth behind artificial sweeteners like aspartame and sucralose -- for greed, for profits, and at the expense of your health.

As mentioned earlier, almost two-thirds of all documented side effects of aspartame consumption are neurological.

One of the reasons for this side effect, researchers have discovered, is because the phenylalanine in aspartame dissociates from the ester bond. While these amino acids are indeed completely natural and safe, they were never designed to be ingested as isolated amino acids in massive quantities, which in and of itself will cause complications.

Additionally this will also increase dopamine levels in your brain. This can lead to symptoms of depression because it distorts your serotonin/dopamine balance. It can also lead to migraine headaches and brain tumors through a similar mechanism.

The aspartic acid in aspartame is a well-documented excitotoxin. Excitotoxins are usually amino acids, such as glutamate and aspartate. These special amino acids cause particular brain cells to become excessively excited, to the point that they die.

Excitotoxins can also cause a loss of brain synapses and connecting fibers. A review conducted in 2008 by scientists from the University of Pretoria and the University of Limpopo found that consuming a lot of aspartame may inhibit the ability of enzymes in your brain to function normally, and may lead to neurodegeneration.

According to the researchers, consuming a lot of aspartame can disturb:

The metabolism of amino acids

Protein structure and metabolism

The integrity of nucleic acids

Neuronal function

Endocrine balances

Furthermore, the ester bond in aspartame breaks down to formaldehyde and methanol, which are also toxic in their own right. So it is not surprising that this popular artificial sweetener has also been found to cause cancer.

One truly compelling case study that shows this all too well was done by a private citizen named Victoria Inness-Brown. She decided to perform her own aspartame experiment on 108 rats over a period of 2 years and 8 months.

Daily, she fed some of the rats the equivalent (for their body weight) of two-thirds the aspartame contained in 8-oz of diet soda. Thirty-seven percent of the females fed aspartame developed tumors, some of massive size.

How to Ditch Artificial Sweeteners, and Satiate Your Sweet Tooth

If you suffer from sweet cravings, it’s easy to convince yourself you’re doing the right thing by opting for a zero-calorie sweetener like aspartame. Please understand that you will do more harm than good to your body this way.

First, it’s important to realize that your body craves sweets when you’re not giving it the proper fuel it needs.

Finding out your nutritional type will tell you exactly which foods you need to eat to feel full and satisfied. It may sound hard to believe right now, but once you start eating right for your nutritional type, your sweet cravings will significantly lessen and may even disappear.

Meanwhile, be sure you address the emotional component to your food cravings using a tool such as the Meridian Tapping Technique (MTT). More than any traditional or alternative method I have used or researched, MTT works to overcome food cravings and helps you reach dietary success.

And, if diet soda is the culprit for you, be sure to check out Turbo Tapping, which is an extremely effective and simple tool to get rid of your soda addiction in a short period of time.

Non-Acceptable Alternative Sweeteners

I have written a few articles on fructose earlier this year, and I will be writing many more, so please be aware that I am absolutely convinced that fructose ingestion is at the core of our obesity epidemic.

And I’m not only talking about high fructose corn syrup, which is virtually identical to table sugar. The only major difference between the two is HFCS is much cheaper so it has contributed to massive increase in fructose ingestion, far beyond safe or healthy.

Please understand you need to keep your fructose levels BELOW 25 grams per day. The best way to do that is to avoid these “natural” sweeteners as they are loaded with a much higher percentage of fructose than HFCS.

Fruit Juice

Agave

Honey

Please note that avoiding these beyond 25 grams per day is crucial, even if the source is fresh, raw, and organic. It just doesn’t matter, fructose is fructose is fructose…

Acceptable Alternative Sweeteners

For those times when you just want a taste of something sweet, your healthiest alternative is Stevia. It’s a natural plant and, unlike aspartame and other artificial sweeteners that have been cited for dangerous toxicities, it is a safe, natural alternative that's ideal if you’re watching your weight, or if you’re maintaining your health by avoiding sugar.

It is hundreds of times sweeter than sugar and truly has virtually no calories.

I must tell you that I am biased; I prefer Stevia as my sweetener of choice, and I frequently use it. However, like most choices, especially sweeteners, I recommend using Stevia in moderation, just like sugar. In excess it is still far less likely to cause metabolic problems than sugar or any of the artificial sweeteners.

I want to emphasize, that if you have insulin issues, I suggest that you avoid sweeteners altogether, including Stevia, as they all can decrease your sensitivity to insulin.

Lo han is another sweetener like Stevia. It’s an African sweet herb that can also be used, but it’s a bit more expensive and harder to find.

So if you struggle with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes or extra weight, then you have insulin sensitivity issues and would benefit from avoiding ALL sweeteners.

But for everyone else, if you are going to sweeten your foods and beverages anyway, I strongly encourage you to consider using regular Stevia or Lo han, and toss out all artificial sweeteners and any products that contain them.

Re: AminoSweet new name for Aspartame

When the population starts to understand a toxic situation, the PTB renames the culprit and surprisingly STILL sells poison.

A few years back, there was another food additive used for making potato chips. The company responsible wanted the term "FAT FREE" posted on their products. Problem was that while eating the chips, many enjoyed dysentery, and other harmful intestinal blockages, perhaps a few deaths if I remember correctly. I believe it was taken off the market. Seems I'm just like everyone else and forgot about this till a moment ago. Anyone remember the name of that poisonous food additive?

How many products have been slammed into the market until people report problems, deformities, and death.
"They" only care about profit. Anyone disagree?

Hey Al, I think you're referring to Olestra.

from the wiki page:

Olestra was approved by the Food and Drug Administration for use as a food additive in 1996 and was initially used in potato chips under the WOW brand by Frito Lay. In 1998, which was the first year Olestra products were marketed nationally after the FDA’s Food Advisory Committee confirmed a judgment it made 2 years earlier, sales were over $400 million.[5] However, by 2000 sales slowed to $200 million, largely caused by the unappealing side effects described on the FDA-mandated health warning label "This Product Contains Olestra. Olestra may cause abdominal cramping and loose stools. Olestra inhibits the absorption of some vitamins and other nutrients. Vitamins A, D, E, and K have been added."[6]

This condition (normally occurring only by excessive consumption in a short period of time) led to a condition known as "steatorrhea", which can be embarrassing. Sales were so slow that P&G gave up on attempts to widen the uses of Olestra, and even sold off their Cincinnati-based Olestra factory to Twin Rivers Technologies in February 2002.[4]

The FDA removed the warning requirement in 2003 as it had "conducted a scientific review of several post-market studies submitted by P&G, as well as adverse event reports submitted by P&G and the Center for Science in the Public Interest (a particularly outspoken critic). The FDA concluded that the label statement was no longer warranted",[7] in spite of having received over 20,000 complaints.[8] When removing the Olestra warning label, the FDA cited a 6-week Procter & Gamble (makers of Olestra) study of more than 3000 people showing that an Olestra-eating group experienced only a small increase in bowel movement frequency.[7]

P&G also worked hard in its publicity campaigns to highlight the positives of the additive, even working directly with the health-care community.[9] But, outside of the popular culture disapproval of the product, many consumers simply did not see the speedy results for which they had hoped from a product they saw as being a cure-all. This was because Olestra only addressed the fat component of the overall dietary pattern of Americans. Foods containing olestra do contain calories from fats and many Americans believed that they could just eat more of them to compensate for the fat calories "saved".[10] Eating olestra chips was not a particularly effective way to improve one's diet overall.

Olestra is banned in many countries, including Britain and Canada.[11][12]

Puck said:
Hey Al, I think you're referring to Olestra.

YES... That's the poison.!.!.! I have no doubt there is more to come. They just can't frikkin leave us be.

Gandalf said:
Note from Dr Mercola:

Aspartame is the most controversial food additive in history, and its approval for use in food was the most contested in FDA history. In the end, the artificial sweetener was approved, not on scientific grounds, but rather because of strong political and financial pressure. After all, aspartame was previously listed by the Pentagon as a biochemical warfare agent!

I think the last sentence sums it up as to why it was approved: biochem warfare on the population.

My brother was just telling me about a guy he knows that one day just went somewhat catatonic and ended up in the hospital. With every kind of test run on him the only thing they could find was quite a lot of brain inactivity and it left the doctors puzzled. With all my brother hears about health from me (mostly from discussions here on the forum and some FB) he immediately questioned the man about his diet only to find out that the man doesn't really eat much. As a matter of fact he survives mostly on soda and chewing gum! My brother straight away lead into explaining the damaging effects of aspartame and told him he definitely sounded like a victim.

This stuff is truly poison and its saddening that they're currently pumping it into the kids with all the gum commercials they're pushing now and many other products I'm sure. Ever since I found out about it I've been checking products to see what exactly is in them and much to my surprise I've been finding aspartame in all kinds of foods. My mother is finally starting to pay attention to some of the advice I give her about foods and now a days she has me checking her foods for her to see whats in them. I found aspartame in the cottage cheese she has with her crackers for a snack sometimes!

After much info I've assimilated here on the forum I'm happy to say my doctors visit the other week went awesome. He said I'm in the best shape hes ever seen me in and that felt great. It was only a routine checkup but he ran a few extra tests and couldn't even really tell that I still smoke although I thank diaphragmatic breathing for that! :cool2:

I'd like to thank all who contribute to this wealth of knowledge of a forum that I learn from and I will continue to spread the knowledge to those in need in return. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom