Allergy Elimination

dugdeep said:
Odyssey said:
But again, if you didn't have the allergic reaction to the harmless almonds one would miss the clue that there is a leaky gut problem. Maybe it's not so much that the body is misidentifying the almonds as harmful. When you have a leaky gut lots of harmless foods become harmful. In these types of cases healing the gut with a simple diet is needed not eliminating the allergic reaction.

The body sends out lots of clues and signals and signs but IMO they shouldn't necessarily be read as mistakes.

Right, good point. I guess I'm being a bit myopic, not thinking about reading those allergic reactions as signs of deeper issues. It's easy to fall into the habit of looking at them as individual problems to be overcome, rather than as indications that the whole system needs to be corrected; for me at least.

My whole reason for looking in to these sorts of techniques is that I seem to have difficulty actually identifying what foods I'm having problems with. During the elimination portion everything seems to go fine, but reintroduction always seems to go poorly. Right now I'm eating everything but wheat, dairy, sugar, processed foods or caffeine but there are obviously issues with other things (I suspect corn, eggs, nightshades and possibly some legumes but it's difficult for me to tell for sure). I've considered doing blood tests to find out what foods I'm reacting to for sure, but they are expensive and somewhat unreliable, according to some sources.

I'm ramping up for another round of the UltraSimple diet including Laura and Psyche's recent modifications with regards to lectins (http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=13241.msg153781#msg153781). Hopefully I'll be able to get definitive answers this time around.

Thanks Odyssey. You've helped me put this into perspective. :)

I just got my results from Alcat blood testing today, as I was in pretty much the same place you describe, having deleted many probable problematic foods, like dairy and grains, but pretty sure from the symptom level , that I am still eating something that's not agreeing with me. And you mentioned some specifics that I was also concerned about, eggs, citrus, nightshades for me. I am not surprised that all those things came back as reactive, but was surprised at how many other things I eat regularly that were also reactive, the high coffee reaction has to be the biggest blow. So today I am starting on the elimination diet, eating only the completely safe foods. You stay on that for a month, then add one of the least reactive foods every 3 days to see how you tolerate it, if you react to it, it goes onto the most reactive list. The most reactive things you never eat again, so coffee and strawberries will be enjoyed vicariously- through aroma only. And even though the Alcat testing says I can tolerate legumes, I think I'll skip the lectins anyway. I'll try to remember to post back in a month to relate if this diet improves the IBS.

monksgirl said:
I just got my results from Alcat blood testing today, as I was in pretty much the same place you describe, having deleted many probable problematic foods, like dairy and grains, but pretty sure from the symptom level , that I am still eating something that's not agreeing with me. And you mentioned some specifics that I was also concerned about, eggs, citrus, nightshades for me. I am not surprised that all those things came back as reactive, but was surprised at how many other things I eat regularly that were also reactive, the high coffee reaction has to be the biggest blow. So today I am starting on the elimination diet, eating only the completely safe foods. You stay on that for a month, then add one of the least reactive foods every 3 days to see how you tolerate it, if you react to it, it goes onto the most reactive list. The most reactive things you never eat again, so coffee and strawberries will be enjoyed vicariously- through aroma only. And even though the Alcat testing says I can tolerate legumes, I think I'll skip the lectins anyway. I'll try to remember to post back in a month to relate if this diet improves the IBS.

Given what we know now WRT a low-carb paleo diet, I really think this is the best way to go. Eliminating problem foods and going high meat/fat seems to be the best way to heal a leaky gut. I think the combination of high protein, low fibre and low digestive irritants gives the gut a chance to heal itself. After 3 months on low-carb, previously problematic foods like eggs seem to be working fine for me (although I am going in moderation). Certain foods should obviously never be added back, of course. Note that coffee, for instance, causes digestive havoc and should probably never be added back in for anyone. I was also trying to do heavy cream in small amounts and eventually had to give that up since it takes excessively long to digest and leave my stomach, leading to reflux, especially in the evening. I think you're right about the legumes, too - best to give them a rest, at least until the gut is healed.
FWIW

now that I've been on the Alcat elimination diet for a month, I am very happy with the results. I have virtually -0- IBS symtoms, and I feel great. Sleeping well. The diet is not too restrictive if you stick to the things you can have rather than pining away for the forbidden ones. Sugar cravings disappeared, and I lost 5 pounds without thinking about it. Don't know if that has anything to do with eliminating inflammatory foods. I am eating grains that I was not reactive to, mainly corn and rice, but only small amounts. Having teas instead of the coffee. For now eating all the fruit I want and ignoring the glycemic index until I am used to the foods list. The Alcat people do say to rotate items in the diet on a 4-day basis to prevent getting new reactions to foods.

monksgirl said:
now that I've been on the Alcat elimination diet for a month, I am very happy with the results. I have virtually -0- IBS symtoms, and I feel great. Sleeping well. The diet is not too restrictive if you stick to the things you can have rather than pining away for the forbidden ones. Sugar cravings disappeared, and I lost 5 pounds without thinking about it. Don't know if that has anything to do with eliminating inflammatory foods. I am eating grains that I was not reactive to, mainly corn and rice, but only small amounts. Having teas instead of the coffee. For now eating all the fruit I want and ignoring the glycemic index until I am used to the foods list. The Alcat people do say to rotate items in the diet on a 4-day basis to prevent getting new reactions to foods.

That's really good, monksgirl. I am wondering if you've had a chance to read the "Life Without Bread" and "Vegetarian Myth" threads?

Yes, I had read those, and applied the knowledge therein and changed my diet, starting about 5 years ago. But I would eliminate these problem foods and still be having IBS reactions. Interestingly, there are foods that the forums here say to avoid completely, like all grains, but according to the Alcat testing there are some I tolerate fine, so I have started eating them again, and have no problems. It was all the other stuff I was actually sensitive to that were still in my diet that were causing me problems constantly. Coffee, strawberries, mushrooms, oranges and mussels I can never eat again. And then a very long list of items I might be able to tolerate every once in a while, and a good size list of things I can eat whenever I- want that includes rice, corn and quinoa as well as buckwheat. Oddly, if one is sensitive to wheat gluten, coffee is a strong cross-reactive. I have no explanation for the lectin thing and being able to tolerate some grains with no side effects. But I keep consumption of these low. And for me the huge bonus is that my rosacea has almost completely disappeared since being on the elimination diet, so it is effective in reducing underlying inflammatory processes. And aren't all chronic disease states inflammatory in nature?

monksgirl said:
Yes, I had read those, and applied the knowledge therein and changed my diet, starting about 5 years ago. But I would eliminate these problem foods and still be having IBS reactions. Interestingly, there are foods that the forums here say to avoid completely, like all grains, but according to the Alcat testing there are some I tolerate fine, so I have started eating them again, and have no problems. It was all the other stuff I was actually sensitive to that were still in my diet that were causing me problems constantly. Coffee, strawberries, mushrooms, oranges and mussels I can never eat again. And then a very long list of items I might be able to tolerate every once in a while, and a good size list of things I can eat whenever I- want that includes rice, corn and quinoa as well as buckwheat. Oddly, if one is sensitive to wheat gluten, coffee is a strong cross-reactive. I have no explanation for the lectin thing and being able to tolerate some grains with no side effects. But I keep consumption of these low. And for me the huge bonus is that my rosacea has almost completely disappeared since being on the elimination diet, so it is effective in reducing underlying inflammatory processes. And aren't all chronic disease states inflammatory in nature?

If you are into allergy tests, you should find out about Cyrex Labs (www.cyrexlabs.com) which are more accurate. Alcat testing and other tests are no more than 30% accurate. False negatives are the rule rather than the exception.

Another possibility are the tests of enterolab (www.enterolab.com). In Primal Body, Primal Mind this is covered pretty well. The experience is that indeed, if you are sensitive to gluten, you will be sensitive to coffee, but also buckwheat and most grains as well are generally involved in cross reactions.

Unstoppable Mom Uncovers Allergy Fix, Could It Help You?​

Story at a glance:
  • Zen Honeycutt, founder of Moms Across America, is the author of “Unstoppable: Transforming Sickness and Struggle Into Triumph, Empowerment and a Celebration of Community”
  • Her book delves into the state of the world’s food supply, how to navigate through the many hazards of the standard American diet, and how you can become a powerful change agent yourself
  • Her health activism grew out of her struggle with her three children’s food allergies, autoimmune problems and autism symptoms. All of her children successfully recovered their health after switching to an organic diet to remove GMOs and glyphosate-contaminated foods
  • Peer-reviewed, independent studies have found glyphosate to be a carcinogen, a DNA mutagen, a chelator of important minerals, an antibiotic, an endocrine disruptor and more
  • Research found that among children born of women with high exposure to glyphosate during pregnancy the rate of autism spectrum disorder with intellectual disability was 30% higher than among those born of mothers who lived further from highly-sprayed areas

Attachments

• glyphosate-exposure-health-hazards-pdf.pdf
    182.3 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom