4-Aminobutyric-acid usage (GABA)

I want to update this thread to let you know that I am doing really well now that my period is over! Again, I don't mean to be off the GABA topic, so I'll keep this brief. These two day long killer periods are rare and I do believe getting sick was directly related to the overwhelming pain I was experiencing.

I'm also doing some research on the infrared saunas you all chimed in to tell me about. There are so many different versions of them and I want to find the best one for me. Thanks again for including the link so I can see the type you recommend, Mrs. Peel!

Scarlet said:
I'm also doing some research on the infrared saunas you all chimed in to tell me about. There are so many different versions of them and I want to find the best one for me. Thanks again for including the link so I can see the type you recommend, Mrs. Peel!

You're welcome. I'm actually considering one of the wooden "box" type now. I found I wasn't using the blanket as much because it was a PITA. I didn't have anyplace to store it and it laid on the floor beside the bed and I'd trip over it. Then I'd have to haul it up on the bed when I wanted to use it, then clean it afterwards and fold it up and move it. It was hard to fastened it up by myself once I was in it. Now that I have more room, I'd put the box unit in the spare bedroom, and I can just turn it on, go in, and sit down!

I'm all about lazy, er, easy. :lol:

Mr. Premise said:
I just started taking GABA last week as an experiment, and I felt an immediate difference! I can't believe those reports that say it doesn't pass the blood-brain barrier.

I was starting to get stressed out and feeling negative and it bounced me right out of that. I have been taking 600 mg a day divided into three 200 mg doses a day. I didn't feel much of an effect with taking 5-HTP alone, so I stopped when the bottle ran out, but tried GABA alone then bought more 5-HTP. The first day of 5-HTP with GABA seemed almost lilke too much serotonin, so I probably don't need 5-HTP, I'm thinking.

Just a quick question. I'm taking 3 X 100mg 5-htp a day which seems to be beneficial to me. I'd like to keep taking my GABA which at the moment am taking aprox 300-500mg throughout the day in 3 split doses. I can't find any advice on the net about any contraindication for taking GABA and 5-HTP. I'd like to up the GABA a little but not stop the 5-htp.

Is it as Mr Premise posted a matter of self observation? Or is there a recommended combined 5-htp/GABA limit?

Any thoughts as always appreciated. :)

Hi slowone,

You can add 500mg of GABA twice a day. Dinner time and before bed is the favored timing, but you can experiment with that. I heard how some had needed more. But the recommended dose for a GABA imbalance is 500mg x 2. If it energizes you before bed time it might be due to sluggish liver issues, then you know that you need to take the GABA during the day.

Mrs. Peel said:
I'm all about lazy, er, easy. :lol:

Me too, but in a different way. I have so much pain that to just sit, fighting gravity, and cook my eyeballs is NOT easy.

I keep my blanket folded in thirds right under my bed. I pull it out, flip it open, get in and have the TV remotes handy. It's easier for me to fasten it now than it was, but before, Ark would do it for me. I set the timer, turn on my movie, and lie back and cook at a low heat.

When I'm done, I kick it open, I have a spray bottle and sponge beside my dressing table and I just spray on the disinfectant, wipe, and leave it open to dry while I take a shower. Then, I come back, unplug it, fold, with the control and plug and stuff in the center, slide it back under the bed, and presto! All done.

Different strokes! I'd be so miserable sitting upright in a box I would NEVER do it.

Psyche said:
Hi slowone,

You can add 500mg of GABA twice a day. Dinner time and before bed is the favored timing, but you can experiment with that. I heard how some had needed more. But the recommended dose for a GABA imbalance is 500mg x 2. If it energizes you before bed time it might be due to sluggish liver issues, then you know that you need to take the GABA during the day.

Thank you. Will experiment :)

Laura said:
Different strokes! I'd be so miserable sitting upright in a box I would NEVER do it.

Yeah, I'd rather lie down, but then I doze off and can't sleep at bedtime. At least in the box I can read and in this one you can curl up on the bench and lean against the wall. I've also got colored light therapy! Woo-hoo! The Mister is putting the finishing touches installing the cup holder, towel rack, and such tomorrow morning and then time to take it for a test drive. :)

That sucker came on a pellet, bound together in three boxes which weighed like 450 lbs! Had to wait till this past sunday for his buddy to come help carry it upstairs and put it together. I was downstairs and head him explain to his friend, "dude, it's NOT a phone booth!!" :lol:

I've started taking GABA and 5-HTP 4 days ago.
I didn't score low on any of the quiz tests (although it's been some time that I took them) but have been suspecting serotonin deficiency, so the main thing was 5-HTP, and due to Laura's remark in USD thread I also included GABA cause I've noticed that lately, while making more changes in my diet, I crave sweets heavily. Not that I'm on USD yet, still need to deal completely with sugar and coffee, but I make progress. Baby steps but it's moving in right direction. At least it looks that way to me. I'll post details about that and other things in different thread(s).

Laura said:
The more we observe and experience, the more I think that nobody should undertake a detox diet without having a supply of 5-htp and GABA on hand, and melatonin, too, to assist with stopping cravings and to help sort out the sleep cycle. Eating properly is one leg of this program, and sleeping properly is another.

Since it's veeery difficult to find these stuff in Croatia (as I've written before), I found only one place where they can be bought over the counter and they are not optimal, ie. 5-HTP comes as 100mg - 30 capsules _http://www.vitasprings.com/5-htp-100-mg-30-capsules-lifetime.html - ~15€ and GABA is GABA-PLUS with Inositol and Niacinamide - 50 capsules _http://www.twinlab.com/product/gaba-plus%E2%84%A2-caps - ~15€
I checked on Inositol and Niacinamide and it seems that they are ok but it would make me more calm if someone with more knowledge about it could chime in here.
I have to admit that it took me quite some time to start taking them (I bought them several weeks ago).

I wasn't sure if taking them both at the same time is good way to go, 5-HTP is 100mg and not 50mg, and on GABA label it says to take it before bedtime, so I started with 100mg 5-HTP at dinner time and 1 capsule of GABA (that would make just 100mg GABA, but 600mg Inositol and 200mg Niacinamide) before bed.

First evening after 5-HTP I noticed that I was getting a little bit sleepy (which was strange cause I read that if taking with meal effects won't show until some time has passed) - it could had been an auto-suggestion - and after GABA I experienced a tingling sensation in my legs - before reading this thread I would have described that sensation as "running legs" - while in bed. That night I had pretty restless sleep and woke up slightly sweaty. Well, the same effect sometimes I get from EE, probably when my machine is slightly intoxicated, so my conclusion was that I was detoxifying (which at other hand confirms for me that EE is really working, if ever there was any doubt about that ;)). I continued taking them like that for next 3 days, no more tingling sensations but each night it was harder and harder to fall asleep, and last night ended laying down for several hours with my mind running (I've "written" several posts on forum during that time; it would be much easier for me, as I'm slow writer, if we could communicate in that way :D) and had to concentrate hard to calm it down to try to fall asleep. And as soon I would slowly fall asleep, concentration would loosen and there it would go again. I got decent sleep only few hours before getting up and had a feeling of being somewhere between sleep and waking state for the most of the night.
Nevertheless, surprisingly, today I wasn't sleepy at all but felt quite energized, just like previous days since I've started taking 5-HTP and GABA. These few days my mind was very sharp and bright and I've been feeling pretty good, both body and emotions as well (being in touch/connected with them).

Anyway, I was concerned about having trouble falling asleep since it's opposite from what I'm trying to achieve and following post stick out:

Psyche said:
Hi slowone,

In another Psyche's post I've recognized some more possible sluggish liver symptoms (together with having slight troubles when I started to use lard) so I'll have to check that issue more in detail.

Regarding GABA and 5-HTP, this evening I decided to swap them, took GABA during dinner and will take 5-HTP before bed.
Shortly after taking GABA I felt a rush of energy but things calmed down not so long afterwards.

Any advice appreciated and will keep you posted how things develop.

These past few days I've taken GABA after lunch.
I've noticed that energy rushes are somehow connected to smoking afterwards of taking GABA capsule. The closer the smoke is to taking GABA pill, energy rush gets more prominent. It could be more about Niacin in my GABA pills then to GABA itself though.
Also I've noticed that I more often go to toilet after taking GABA capsule and that my mouth and tongue get dry very quickly afterwards. I'm compensating it with drinking more water.

I revisited the Ultramind Solution quizzes recently, specifically the neurotransmitter quizzes. I was surprised to find that I had high deficiency scores for all of the neurotransmitters he mentions. I was surprised because I know that I scored myself when I read the book last summer, so I'm not sure why I didn't take action then.

At any rate, I scored highest for GABA deficiency, a 6 or 7 (I used to use alcohol to relax but don't any more) out of 8, so I decided to start there. I suspect that my GABA deficiency may be related to my long habit of using alcohol to relax at the end of the day, and during social situations.

I am following Dr. Hyman's recommendations in chapter 22 of the Ultramind Solution. I have been taking 500mg GABA twice a day, once in the mid afternoon and once before bed on an empty stomach, and 200mg of Theanine first thing in the morning and just before bed.

I am noticing dramatic and immediate results from this supplement. I slept more deeply this week and I had vivid dreams that I remembered the next morning several nights. I generally felt more rested and I found it easier to get up in the morning (less groggy). My muscles and joints seem more relaxed, and general mobility seems to be improving. My body feels achy in a good way, like you might feel after a good stretch, and I feel more aware of sensation all over my body. I feel much more relaxed in general and I felt less overwhelmed in general this past week. I also had the distinct impression that this week was long, and each day has seemed quite long, as if my perception of time passing is altered. It seems that I am more aware of what I am doing, when I am doing it, so the day doesn't race by in the same way. Similarly I noticed a marked decrease in the level of mental "chatter" or discursive thoughts racing through my brain non stop.

I noticed some of the "side effects" others mentioned in this thread once or twice, including shortness of breath and a flushing or tingling sensation around my neck, face and ears. These sensations were pretty minor.

Overall I am amazed at what a difference taking GABA and Theanine made for me this week. I still feel like I'm stuck on a treadmill that is going to fast for me to keep up, but I feel like I can start turning the speed down. What a relief!

The Role of GABA in Health and Well-Being​

Story at a glance:
  • Most modern people live in constant fight-or-flight mode and find it hard to relax. GABA helps put you into parasympathetic mode, thereby promoting relaxation and stress reduction, indirectly
  • Glutamate is the primary excitatory neurotransmitter and GABA the main inhibitory neurotransmitter. These two are always working in conjunction with each other to maintain a balance. Glutamate converts into GABA in your brain. If you have trouble converting glutamate into GABA, you’ll have excitatory-like symptoms, as the glutamate over-accumulates
  • Underlying factors that can prevent the efficient conversion of glutamate to GABA include a lack of cofactors (B6 and magnesium), and a lack of the enzyme glutamate decarboxylase, which is what converts the glutamate to GABA. Two common problems that inhibit the function of this enzyme are infections and chronic stress
  • Mentally, GABA deficiency is associated with anxiety, fear, depression, short temper, phobias, impulsiveness, disorganization, addictions, schizophrenia and OCD. IBS, diarrhea, hypertension, tinnitus, chronic pain, migraines, allergies, frequent urination, flushing, sweating, salt cravings and muscle tension are physical symptoms of GABA deficiency
  • Supplements that help raise GABA include N-nicotinoyl GABA or nanoliposomal varieties of GABA, kava, valerian root and cannabinoids such as CBD and CBG. Other ways to increase GABA include exercise, and things like meditation, mindfulness training, breathing exercises and yoga, which raise GABA by putting you in a parasympathetic state

Attachments

• role-of-gaba-pdf.pdf
    158.6 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top Bottom