4-Aminobutyric-acid usage (GABA)

All NSAIDs (Naproxen) are evil. If you must take it for intractable pain, make sure it is on a full stomach and just occasionally. The diet can completely control the pain (works for me). You just have to eliminate everything that is inflammatory for you, specifically.

Waking several times a night is part of the syndrome and possibly relates to adrenal fatigue. I take 5-htp during the day - lunch and dinner time (50 mg)- and then 6 mg of melatonin at bedtime and that usually does it for me. I'm also using bioidentical plant progesterone cream with excellent results.

When I do take GABA, I take lower doses because I don't like the flushing side-effect.

Shane said:
I don't know what is behind the cause of you waking up several times a night, but a couple of additional things you could experiment with, if you haven't already, is melatonin and magnesium malate. Melatonin is produced by the pineal gland and is basically what makes us sleepy (its a good anti-oxidant too). Less melatonin is produced as we age, but electromagnetic pollution also hardens the gland, which in turn decreases melatonin production. If you're not familiar with it there's tons of stuff on the forum. You just want to be careful with it cause too much will make you groggy.

I was also pretty amazed when I first started taking 5-HTP, and then I was astounded when I added in magnesium malate. It may just be that my body was sorely lacking in magnesium, but the malate, more so than any other form of magnesium, seems to provide a really restful sleep.

My night time supplements include 3 mg meletonin, 200 mg 5-HTP, 5,000 mg Magnesium Malate, 750 mg GABA, 100 mg B6. I also have recently begun taking adrenal support supplements, which I'm hoping will help with my fatigue (which has improved drastically since doing the diet) and hectic sleeping patterns. Getting to bed early is one heck of a routine for me to adjust to, but I feel like a different person when I do.

Hi Shane, Thanks for the tips on melatonin and magnesium malate. I will consider melatonin and I take magnesium malate right now, but only 400mg a day. You take SO much more than I do! I did just order some magnesium lotion for the first time, (_http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RGPZ4S/ref=oss_product), and I hope that will help too. I also plan to order magnesium citrate and also to up my dose! I read up a bit on the magnesium thread on here and started to think that maybe I've been deficient on it all my whole life. I seem to always have struggled with depression and anxiety no matter how wonderful my life has been. Both have virtually vanished since I started taking 5-HTP and doing the USD diet has really helped me as well..:)

Mrs. Peel said:
Naproxen is evil. One of those anti-inflammatory drugs like motrin that kill your liver. I used to take it years ago when I had a deviated septum operation, really upset my stomach. I hope you don't have to take it daily long-term. I'm noticing the Ulta Simple Diet is helping my joint pains. Do you have a FIR sauna blanket? That could help arthritus also. You may want to seek out natural cures and perhaps be able to cut out the prescription drugs or cut down.

But yikes, sure sounds like an interaction reaction to me! :scared:

Hi Mrs. Peel, I am scared to be taking Naproxen and told my doctor a few weeks ago that I wanted to stop it. I have been taking 500mg twice a day since last November....... :cry: I was just in so much pain over the arthritis in my hands and feet that I finally let my doctor dose me up on meds. My chiropractor said I could get an ulcer from it even if I do eat food when I take it. For the past few weeks I have felt so good from the USD diet that I stopped taking it at night. Now I only take 500mg a day, but I feel I no longer need it. I'll see my doctor again in a few weeks and tell him I'm done with it. I'm just scared to go off of it without seeing my doctor again, because I've been on it for so long now... :-[ I've put up so many buffers regarding this, but I'm starting to learn that what I eat can potentially help me much more than Naproxen. Also, I don't know what a FIR sauna blanket is, but I am going to look into it. Thanks!!

brainwave said:
It's not a good idea at all to mix the valerian root with GABA. It is believed to act as an agonist for GABA receptors, so actually taking it with GABA gives you a double whammy. It's like a milder form of taking alcohol with a benzodiazepine or barbituate, all of which act on GABA receptors. The latter with alcohol is an especially dangerous mixture. Good thing ya didn't have a drink too :). On the other hand, GABA and 5-HTP together are ok as they have different modes of action.

brainwave

Thank you Brainwave! I'd thought I had taken Valerian Root with GABA back in June when my brother gave me some, but now I think I must have been mistaken. I will NEVER take these two supplements again at the same time!

Laura said:
All NSAIDs (Naproxen) are evil. If you must take it for intractable pain, make sure it is on a full stomach and just occasionally. The diet can completely control the pain (works for me). You just have to eliminate everything that is inflammatory for you, specifically.

Waking several times a night is part of the syndrome and possibly relates to adrenal fatigue. I take 5-htp during the day - lunch and dinner time (50 mg)- and then 6 mg of melatonin at bedtime and that usually does it for me. I'm also using bioidentical plant progesterone cream with excellent results.

When I do take GABA, I take lower doses because I don't like the flushing side-effect.

Hi Laura, I really appreciate you and Mrs. Peel telling me how horrible Naproxen is for me. I don't even take it for pain anymore because I have been pain free for months now. I just take it because my doctor told me not to stop and I respect this man greatly. I could go on about how wonderful this doctor is, but in the end it would just be one big buffer I've created that I can use as an excuse for continuing this medication. Besides, he DID tell me that taking 5-HTP was a waste of money, but I took Paxil and Prozac before and I feel the same as I do when I was on those medications.

I did some research on progesterone cream after reading part of the USD thread and I decided to order some. I look forward to trying it out and also will be considering melatonin supplements. I woke up at 2AM today and couldn't get back to sleep. :( I think I'll do some research today and consider uping my magnesium malate dose greatly. Thank you all SO very much again for taking the time to read my post and making the effort to offer your input. I thought you you all this morning at 2AM when I could not sleep..:P :flowers:

brainwave said:
It's not a good idea at all to mix the valerian root with GABA. It is believed to act as an agonist for GABA receptors, so actually taking it with GABA gives you a double whammy. It's like a milder form of taking alcohol with a benzodiazepine or barbituate, all of which act on GABA receptors. The latter with alcohol is an especially dangerous mixture. Good thing ya didn't have a drink too :). On the other hand, GABA and 5-HTP together are ok as they have different modes of action.

brainwave

Thanks brainwave, I've been taking a Valerian herbal tea at a similar time to taking my evening GABA powder. I've now cut out the herbal tea and substituted it with water instead.

Scarlet said:
Hi Mrs. Peel, I am scared to be taking Naproxen and told my doctor a few weeks ago that I wanted to stop it. I have been taking 500mg twice a day since last November....... :cry: I was just in so much pain over the arthritis in my hands and feet that I finally let my doctor dose me up on meds. My chiropractor said I could get an ulcer from it even if I do eat food when I take it. For the past few weeks I have felt so good from the USD diet that I stopped taking it at night. Now I only take 500mg a day, but I feel I no longer need it. I'll see my doctor again in a few weeks and tell him I'm done with it. I'm just scared to go off of it without seeing my doctor again, because I've been on it for so long now... :-[ I've put up so many buffers regarding this, but I'm starting to learn that what I eat can potentially help me much more than Naproxen. Also, I don't know what a FIR sauna blanket is, but I am going to look into it. Thanks!!

Yes, do some research on FarInfrared saunas. Dr. Sherry Rogers recommends them in Detoxify or Die. You will find information about them here on the forum, if you do a search. It has helped Laura and a lot of other immensely with their pain.

Scarlet said:
Hi Laura, I really appreciate you and Mrs. Peel telling me how horrible Naproxen is for me. I don't even take it for pain anymore because I have been pain free for months now. I just take it because my doctor told me not to stop and I respect this man greatly. I could go on about how wonderful this doctor is, but in the end it would just be one big buffer I've created that I can use as an excuse for continuing this medication. Besides, he DID tell me that taking 5-HTP was a waste of money, but I took Paxil and Prozac before and I feel the same as I do when I was on those medications.

You continut to swallow liver poison when you don't have pain just because a doctor told you not to quit? It's just prescription Motrin, basically, not like coming down off anti-depressants. He also told you that 5-HTP was a waste of money? Hmmmmm. I don't care how much you "respect" him, he's giving you faulty information. Western medicine is notorious for this. Somehow, we all cling to our beliefs that the "doctor" knows best and follow their orders like sheep without doing our own research.

The Diet and Health Section (and Dr. Psyche) here has some invaluable advice and research. I'm glad you are reading some of the threads there.

Naproxyn is eeevil for sure.
As others have said the FIR sauna as well as pipe breathing will help.
FWIW, my mom has arthritis pain and she cut out wheat flour and white rice and started taking NAC, reduced glutathione and milk thistle three times a day. She said it made a huge difference.

Hi Scarlet,

When you eat anti-inflammatory foods, you don't need the anti-inflammatory effects of naproxen. Naproxen actually enhances gut permeability ("punches holes in your intestines") which then perpetuates the problem instead of dealing with it. It just doesn't make any sense. I could understand if you take naproxen when you have bad pains. But if you are pain free, then why take it.

I understand your doctor wants to help. But knowledge protects, ignorance endangers. And it sounds like he would benefit from medical education that is not heavily sponsored by Big Pharma :)

I took Naproxen for years. It's like taking aspirin or tylenol - equally evil - but non-narcotic and there are no side-effects to quitting as far as I know.

Hello everyone and thank you for helping me to see what I should have been able to see on my own. I decided this morning to not take the Naproxen. This is the first time I have not taken that pill in the morning in almost 10 months. I thought a lot about what you all had written and the lies I have been telling myself. Then I left the pill in its bottle and closed the medicine cabinet. Deep down I fear the inflammation will return and the pain will be great when the winter comes, but I am going to fight it with the information I am learning on this wonderful site. My doctor will be disappointed, but that will not matter because I am proud of myself for stopping it.

I looked into the sauna and wow they are pricey, but I'm going to consider getting one. Thanks Mrs. Peel and Brainwave for telling me about it!

Also, thanks Laura for mentioning that you took Naproxen for years, because I don't feel so alone with this now, as I have been.

I woke up in a great mood today and found myself humming and singing for the first time in a long time. Now I am a bit teary-eyed, but feeling empowered.

Knowledge protects. So true, indeed. Thank you, Psyche.

Sending virtual flowers to you all!

:flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

Scarlet said:
My doctor will be disappointed, but that will not matter because I am proud of myself for stopping it.

Yay, Scarlet! Taking responsibility for your own health is a HUGE step forward. Unfortunately, most Doctors are basically brainwashed by Big Pharma to the point that they won't even consider the effects of diet on pain, so we have to find out for ourselves what actually works.

Scarlet said:
I woke up in a great mood today and found myself humming and singing for the first time in a long time. Now I am a bit teary-eyed, but feeling empowered.

Knowledge protects. So true, indeed. Thank you, Psyche.

Sending virtual flowers to you all!

:flowers: :flowers: :flowers: :flowers:

Glad to hear this. And remember, a step toward empowerment for one of us, is a step forward for us all!

Scarlet said:
I looked into the sauna and wow they are pricey, but I'm going to consider getting one. Thanks Mrs. Peel and Brainwave for telling me about it!

Hi Scarlet,

Kudos to you for not taking the Evil Pill!!! If you keep eating antiimflammatory foods and taking supplements, your pain may not come back. And yes the FIR saunas are expensive, some people use a portable sauna bag which is a bit cheaper. Not sure where you live but people here have purchased one like this in the States.

Mrs. Peel said:
Scarlet said:

Hi Scarlet,

Kudos to you for not taking the Evil Pill!!! If you keep eating antiimflammatory foods and taking supplements, your pain may not come back. And yes the FIR saunas are expensive, some people use a portable sauna bag which is a bit cheaper. Not sure where you live but people here have purchased one like this in the States.

Scarlet, I just wanted to say that we go on holiday to wales and the gym there has a FIR infrared sauna. It might be worth checking your local gym/gyms to see if they have one you could use if it made it an affordable option for you.

I use the blanket type at home and it is really very good as you can lie down and relax at the same time. Hope you find one. :)

Thanks so much for the support, everyone! Your comments mean a lot to me. :) The blanket ones do look like they would be comfy. I really appreciate you including the link, Mrs. Peel! I live in California, USA, so it is very helpful! :D

The blanket is a MUCH better idea/product because it is SO relaxing to just lie there enveloped by heat.

Laura said:
The blanket is a MUCH better idea/product because it is SO relaxing to just lie there enveloped by heat.

Yeah, I look forward to it when I'm cold or in the colder months. I often just fall asleep in it.

WOW, I had no idea how many of you actually have this blanket! I don't know anybody who has one and I have never even seen it before. I'm definitely going to seriously consider purchasing one in the next week or so. Oh I hope it helps and thank you to everyone for chiming in to tell me about it!

My hands were aching again yesterday for the first time in a long while. I always write notes on my students' work and noticed that old arthritis pain coming back when I did. I also started my period days before I was due yesterday and I was in a tremendous amount of pain. While I was teaching in the morning I felt I was going to vomit, faint or both! I took a Naproxen in an effort to kill the pain...:-[

Then last night I actually did throw up and felt much better. I didn't eat anything differently than I normally do (following the USD diet), so I don't know what caused this. My mother wonders if my period came early and is so heavy because of something I am missing in my diet. I suspected it was the cheese cake I ate at my cousin's wedding last Saturday. I only had a couple bites, but it really set my progress back. I wish I knew what was going on and I can't wait to try out the progesterone cream when it comes in the mail!

Well, I didn't mean to get so off-topic on this GABA thread...I didn't take GABA last night because I didn't want anything in my stomach. I woke up every couple hours and have been getting night sweats, which is unrelated to the GABA usage, but related to my period, I think. Actually, these night sweats have been becoming day sweats too. I feel so hot and prone to sweating at certain moments even when it's not hot. I looked up hot flashes yesterday online and am not sure if that is what I have been experiencing or not. I'm only 31 so who knows..?

One thing I did notice is that I remember some of my dreams from last night and when I take the GABA I seem to forget them.

I'm so glad it's Friday! I need a nap, but I'm off to teach instead. I feel much better today and know I can do it.

Also, I think I'm going to call my rheumatologist and tell him I'm stopping the meds. I told him the last time I saw him that I wanted off of them, but he told me to wait 8 more weeks. I feel so weird over these sudden health issues that I think it's important to at least check in with him.

Well, I apologize for hijacking this thread. Clearly, I am extremely concerned about my health issues and I just wanted to post this update since we have been discussing them on here and your information has been so helpful!! Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!

Back
Top Bottom