4-Aminobutyric-acid usage (GABA)

chenhongxia

A Disturbance in the Force
4-Aminobutyric-acid (GABA) is the chief inhibitory neurotransmitter in the mammalian central nervous system. It plays a role in regulating neuronal excitability throughout the nervous system. It’s an important inhibitory neuro transmitter in the mammalian central nervous system, with the functions of nerves calming, cerebral blood circulation stimulation, enhance brain energy, providing nutrition for the nerve cell, increasing the secretion of growth hormone and improve liver and kidney health etc. Meanwhile, 4-Aminobutyric-acid can also help relieve and prevent the hypertension.

In addition, GABA as an important functional ingredient for food & beverage, has already be extensively applied to tea drinks, dairy, leavened food, cake, soup and others for healthcare and medical purposes.

As GABA has wide compatibility, fruit wines or health wines contained adequate GABA can satisfy more GABA consumers’ demand. For example, fruit with adequate GABA can be made into various medium-to-high grade wines for women, middle-aged, the elderly people and white-collar personage.

Edit: Disabled spam links.

Re: 4-Aminobutyric-acid usage

Hi chenhongxia– It is customary here for new members to post an introduction in our Newbies section. It isn’t necessary to post personal information, just how you found the forum, what your interests are, etc.

I was about to open a new thread on GABA, and just noticed this one.

I have taken 5htp for about one and a half month, and didn't really notice a difference. I am a good sleeper, so wasn't expecting any difference in my sleeping patterns but in mood. So I decided to try GABA one week ago. So far I am taking 500mg of GABA in powder with its synergist Theanine, and wow! I am noticing a great difference. It really came in good time, as February was one very tense month (as it seems to also have been for many members).

However, and here is my question, a couple of seconds to 1m after having taken GABA I notice shortness of breath, as if my lungs were being constricted, and sometimes tightness in the chest. It isn't really major and only lasts for a few seconds to 1m, but I can still feel it. Is this normal, or would anyone know what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance!

ADDED:
Searching through the net, it seems this is actually a common experience to many people. I haven't yet found a reason for that, but will keep searching.

Gertrudes said:
I was about to open a new thread on GABA, and just noticed this one.

I have taken 5htp for about one and a half month, and didn't really notice a difference. I am a good sleeper, so wasn't expecting any difference in my sleeping patterns but in mood. So I decided to try GABA one week ago. So far I am taking 500mg of GABA in powder with its synergist Theanine, and wow! I am noticing a great difference. It really came in good time, as February was one very tense month (as it seems to also have been for many members).

However, and here is my question, a couple of seconds to 1m after having taken GABA I notice shortness of breath, as if my lungs were being constricted, and sometimes tightness in the chest. It isn't really major and only lasts for a few seconds to 1m, but I can still feel it. Is this normal, or would anyone know what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance!

ADDED:
Searching through the net, it seems this is actually a common experience to many people. I haven't yet found a reason for that, but will keep searching.

Same goes with me too. And since I don't know what is with this shortness of breath I've quit taking GABA until I gather more info. I have also question about GABA's storage life after opening. In my case I have noticed some discolouration and solidification of GABA powder few weeks after opening, so I thought that this may be the cause of "sideefect".

Well, I found a couple of interesting things. First of all, it seems that those side effects are very frequent when taking GABA, at least that's what it seems after finding so many pages on the net describing it. The common opinion seems to be:

www.betterbodz.com/library/gabaquest.html said:
Aside from the positive side effects of building lean muscle mass, some individuals may experience some of GABA's other unique qualities. Some people report a skin surface tingling sensation for a few minutes after taking GABA. This is not uncommon and can be likened to a "niacin flush". Some also report a slight shortness of breath for a few minutes after taking GABA. This also is not uncommon and its nothing that is of serious concern. These are common yet unexplainable characteristics of GABA.

These symptoms occur in some people but not in others. Some people will experience one or both of these sensations every time the use GABA. Others will experience it sporadically with the use of GABA, and yet some will never experience it when using GABA. These temporary sensations are not indicative of the effectiveness of GABA nor are they harmful in any way. These are just inherent characteristics of supplementing GABA.

Also, as posted by chenhongxia, GABA stimulates growth hormone and apparently has anti ageing properties! Most sites recommend a dosage of 5g per day which I think might be way too much to start with. I have started with 500mg as read in a few threads on the forum, and could already feel the side effects, plus great benefits. But of course, everyone's body behaves in very different ways.

Also, not completely related to the current discussion, but I thought it could be of some interest: apparently GABA has been banned from the UK. I ordered mine from the states (despite living in UK) because I usually get them cheaper, so I hadn't really noticed it had been banned.

sherdog.net/forums/f15/gaba-banned-uk-671541/ said:
Officially in the UK GABA's production and sale as a supplement was banned last autumn by the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA). It can still be produced for scientific analysis work. Many companies are still selling it, but I am certain this will be short lived. It is also banned in many other countries including the USA. GABA is not classed as a 'drug', merely its sale prohibited because the MHRA claim it to be 'body altering' (a claim which stirs up huge controversy with a wide range of supplements).

/uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071008114424AAMjbK6 said:
GABA was originally used in bodybuilding as it stimulate the IGF-1 gland that produces testosterone. This has been banned as it is classed as a pro hormone. At the same time half the reason for its banning is that its been proven to help anxiety and sleep patterns. So instead of selling this as a supplement theres more profit from selling it over the counter as a pharmaceutical product. You can still get GABA in its different forms and breakdowns for its different uses.

Gertrudes said:
Also, as posted by chenhongxia, GABA stimulates growth hormone and apparently has anti ageing properties! Most sites recommend a dosage of 5g per day which I think might be way too much to start with. I have started with 500mg as read in a few threads on the forum, and could already feel the side effects, plus great benefits. But of course, everyone's body behaves in very different ways.

Also, not completely related to the current discussion, but I thought it could be of some interest: apparently GABA has been banned from the UK. I ordered mine from the states (despite living in UK) because I usually get them cheaper, so I hadn't really noticed it had been banned.

I've noticed the same problem in the UK, I have only come across three sites that sell it, and one of those has stopped. And, I suspect that one of the others will stop when supplies run out, as I had a lot of problems getting them to deliver the NOW Foods product, True Calm, and the other site takes three weeks to deliver. Just out of interest, Gertrudes, where (website) do you get your powder from?

For some time now I have taken 400mg in the late afternoon and 400mg mid evening, and have experienced a lack of side effects.

Trevrizent said:
I've noticed the same problem in the UK, I have only come across three sites that sell it, and one of those has stopped. And, I suspect that one of the others will stop when supplies run out, as I had a lot of problems getting them to deliver the NOW Foods product, True Calm, and the other site takes three weeks to deliver. Just out of interest, Gertrudes, where (website) do you get your powder from?

For some time now I have taken 400mg in the late afternoon and 400mg mid evening, and have experienced a lack of side effects.

As you know, we have a thread here for some good websites where you can order vitamins.

Perso, most of the time, I ordered form Iherb and i have an excellent service. I have no problem to receive my NOW food products. If i choose the free shipping (minimum order), i have my products within 10 days. And if I choose the special delivery from DHL, I have them within 4 days.

Thank you Gandalf,
thanks to Psyche I do use Iherb, and take advantage of the free postage :) DHL is automatic for delivery to the UK, as is paying duty on top. :P

I also ordered GABA through Iherb. I have been ordering trough them for a while now and as Gandalf, I find their service to be excellent. I once even e-mailed them a question a got an answer within minutes.

Trevrizent said:
thanks to Psyche I do use Iherb, and take advantage of the free postage Smiley DHL is automatic for delivery to the UK, as is paying duty on top. Tongue

Free postage? I've always payed for postage plus DHL on top of that :( Trevrizent, how do you get free postage?

Coincidentally, today I went to a shop here in UK called Revital. I have been going there over the past weeks because they have plenty of interesting products, including organic food and supplements and, as I noticed today, lo and behold, Gaba. So I'm not really sure of what's happening with the banning issue.
There are a few Revital stores within UK. To find out whether you have one where you live, you can check store location (as well as their products) at their website: _http://www.revital.co.uk/

Gertrudes said:
Free postage? I've always payed for postage plus DHL on top of that Sad Trevrizent, how do you get free postage?

My apologies, Gertrudes, I do pay postage :(, which is substantially offset by a minimum order discount. :) - That was my confusion in thinking of free postage.

I too, have found their service excellent, including speed of delivery.

I've been using GABA for a few weeks. I wasn't noticing anything different with just 750mg a day, so i've bumped the dose in the past few days.

I'm getting 1500mg after i wake up, and take another 750mg after work.

I'm noticing a serious decrease in negative thinking. I suspect I was highly deficient in GABA, because my brain could never shut up.

Now my brain does keep quiet. At work today and yesterday, i didn't get annoyed with every other customer like usual. In fact only one or two have been an actual

annoyance. It feels fabulous to actually have the capability to "put on the brakes" when you want or need to. I read over 50% of the population is GABA dominant, so if you

think you have a nuerotransmitter deficiency, GABA is a good place to start. It keeps you evened out.

I used to think i had seretonin deficiency, because i had depression. It seems that my seretonin levels are fine, but my GABA was deficient, allowing runaway thoughts

and mood swings, paranoia, etc.

I just started taking GABA last week as an experiment, and I felt an immediate difference! I can't believe those reports that say it doesn't pass the blood-brain barrier.

I was starting to get stressed out and feeling negative and it bounced me right out of that. I have been taking 600 mg a day divided into three 200 mg doses a day. I didn't feel much of an effect with taking 5-HTP alone, so I stopped when the bottle ran out, but tried GABA alone then bought more 5-HTP. The first day of 5-HTP with GABA seemed almost lilke too much serotonin, so I probably don't need 5-HTP, I'm thinking.

Glad to see some of ya'll doing a little experimenting to find out what works individually. Everyone is different and will need slightly different supplements and amounts. And also remember that your tank can get topped up on some of these things so you have to pay attention and know when to back the dosage down, or cut it out entirely. Then you need to pay attention to what is going on in your life so that if you have a special situation, special stress, you know how to supplement for it.

Obviously, none of this would be necessary if we got all the nutrients we needed from our food AND were not exposed to constant, unnatural stress 24/7 AND were not being poisoned by the food we do eat more than half the time. But, those are the conditions we live with, and we have to figure out ways around them. We've got a few rough years ahead of us, we don't know what is going to happen, so we need to be the best we can be and know how to cope through whatever happens.

Recently I've been having trouble sleeping throughout the whole night. Usually I take 500mg GABA + 100 mg 5HTP before bed, but this time decided to take 600mg GABA so it will have a better effect on me. As a note, the 500mg came from Now GABA, and the 600 mg came from another company (Webber Naturals) because the Now bottle was done. And after taking it I had drowsy, even a bit nauseous sensation with slight tingling in the extremities. I thought that my liver was acting up, but then read somewhere on the net that tingling can be a side effect of taking GABA. So it seemed to me that I simply took too much. But then, when I looked for the link of Now Gaba product, apparently it comes with B6 Mood Support, and I was told that B6 actually keeps one awake. If so, no wonder I had such a reaction to the dosage of 600mg of only GABA! Gotta read the labels. ;)

I'm one of those who definitely benefits from GABA rather than 5-HTP. Fact is that GABA's work is almost immediate, and in a few minutes - sometimes it's really about seconds - give relief out of a stressful day's job.

Have to use it once a week or two now; before the EE's breathing program came in I used it like drug ;)

Can't say that 5-HTP doesn't work at all, it just takes a lot of hours before I start noticing any improvement in my mood, and because of that it's difficult to for me to say 'that was it'.

Back
Top Bottom