'Missing 411', by David Paulides: Tracking unusual missing persons cases

Here is something potentially interesting to think about. Years ago I came across some of Scott Carpenter's videos on Bigfoot on YouTube. Back then it didn't take long for me to "conclude" that what he is "seeing" in those videos is at best "pattern recognition run amok". I basically thought that he is seeing faces where there are none in very blurry and pixelated videos. So I basically dismissed it out of hand and thought that he is some kook or something.

So, recently, after having listened to one of the previous Paulides Bigfoot 101 classes, where Carpenter was mentioned, I looked him up again on YouTube and only then realized that I saw some of his stuff years ago. But, I basically came to the same conclusions again and quickly dismissed it.

Fast-forward to Paulides latest Bigfoot 101 Class on DNA: I listened to it and noticed again that Paulides mentioned Scott Carpenter and his work, and that very seriously and favorably. Paulides basically explained that he worked closely with Carpenter for years, went out with him to the areas where Carpenter is studying Bigfoot activity, saw and experienced many strange things on that occasions with him. More than that, Carpenter's research and Carpenter himself was a key aspect of how they were able to get many of the DNA samples of Bigfoot. Carpenter and Paulides found ways to get those samples by using unusual and low tech means. In short, they were able to get many of those hair samples etc. (reliably and quickly) because they did things not in the way most researches do it. Including trying to catch it on camera by unusual methods and technics. Apparently Bigfoot is able to sense stuff like modern cameras and either avoid it and/or block it. So, Carpenter is one of the key people that made those DNA studies possible in the first place. Paulides also mentioned that Carpenter has a great website, with much interesting information in it, including the DNA stuff.

So, here I was: For the third time I checked out Carpenter's stuff. I looked at his website. And specifically, the Video section. Again I was thinking that many if not all the videos he presents there (and apparently recorded himself) can be easily dismissed by him "seeing faces where there are none". But then I saw this video, which is quite a bit harder to dismiss in that way:

And a follow-up video where Carpenter attempts to estimate the size of this "Bigfoot" with the conclusion of a conservative estimate of a 14.23 feet (4.33meters) in height!

An estimate that seems about right to me in the way he tried to estimate it!

So then I thought, maybe Carpenter isn't that kooky after all and at least in some videos what he has captured is indeed legit and not just "pattern recognition run amok"? Without what Paulides said about Carpenter in his latest Bigfoot DNA Video, I'm sure I would have dismissed it again. But with that additional information, I'm kinda seriously questioning my convictions there.

Then I came across the following two videos where Carpenter is seen to film himself within a "Bigfoot" hot spot area, claiming that he feels that "something" (aka. probably "Bigfoot") is bombarding him with low level infrasound type waves/noises right now, which makes it hard for him to concentrate, hear or speak. Also claiming that he is being able to sense from which direction he is bombarded with, with that infrasound. Later on you will see that he does his usual investigation of the footage and discovers that "faces" look at him through the wood, at the places he felt that they do, but couldn't see himself with his own eyes at the time! In the first of the two videos he even mentions that if someone is watching this video and doesn't know what he is talking about, that that person will probably think he is a loon. I certainly would have thought so as well. But not anymore:

Then I came across another of his videos where you could easily conclude that he is "seeing things that are not there". But notice how at the end he is standing between those trees himself at daytime, and you can start to imagine that what he "has captured" with a much worse low light video/picture in the middle of the night, might in fact be real:

Spooky to say the least! It should be noted that Carpenter also seems to think that there is a substantial paranormal element to that "Bigfoot" phenomena.

Anyway, another interesting thing Carpenter (and I also think Paulides) mentioned is a very consistent finding in their research. "Bigfoot" seems to create tree structures like you see here. Sometimes those structures can be made of big trees as well, like here. What Carpenter found is that usually there is at least one tree branch placed on such a structure that is very delicately balanced against gravity so that it doesn't fall down. So, what Carpenter did in many "Bigfoot areas" is building such tree branch structures himself while also putting up one such delicately balanced tree branch. The very consistent finding is this: Almost every time he does that, he finds that that that delicately balanced tree branch will be taken out and snapped in two or more pieces and thrown away. Carpenter speculates that "Bigfoot" somehow doesn't like you doing the balanced tree branch thing, for some reason.

I think part of the reason why it seems to be so hard to see "Bigfoot" even if it is right next or in front of you (apart from the paranormal angle) might be an ability of "Bigfoot" to merge/camouflage itself into the environment. What I mean by that is the following: If you ever have gone to a Zoo you will have noticed that many creatures that live in the wild can almost perfectly merge into the surroundings and become very difficult to see, even if they are right in front of you! That camouflaging ability is often so good that you simply can't see them at all. And that is true for small and even big creatures. I recently saw that phenomena at a zoo in quite a number of cases again: I was looking into terrariums, aquariums and cages, and quite often I couldn't see a thing, even though the creature is right in front of your eyes! And even if someone else spotted it, and you then start to see the creature as well, it becomes easy for our senses to lose the sight of it again, even though you know it is right there.

Also, the idea of any large creature out there, who might even predatory in nature, not being able to sustain itself foodwise unless it eats enormous amounts of food, and therefore "it can't exist", is not the best argument IMO. The reason for that is because the biggest KNOWN land predator on earth, is the polar bear. The polar bear can way up to 1,540 pounds (700kg) and it is well known that that bear can fast/survive without any food for up to 8 months! Apparently surviving on his fat reserves. And he is able to go without any food for those eight months while moving around normally and not sleeping that time through or anything like that.

Also, if we are dealing with a pretty intelligent, closely human like creature, things might get even more complicated and interesting at the same time.
IMO, that white Bigfoot video above is nothing more than the foliage/flower on the tree in the foreground moving with the camera. Both seem to be moving in the field of view at the same time and speed.

I’m not quite sure what to make of this. I’ve watched a few different videos on this Tik Tokker Andrew Dawson. Dawson posted a video about seeing a “giant” on top of Whistler’s Peak in Jasper National park in Alberta, Canada. He then posts more videos of trying to get up to the park to investigate the area and being turned away by government officials. He reports being stalked, then posts a video that everything he had posted was fake. He then later posts that he’s scared, and everything he posted wasn’t fake but was real. He then quit posting and a month later an obituary with his death was found.

I don’t know if the original video was a “giant” or not, but it appears something was up there that wasn’t in the other videos. The whole thing seems strange culminating in his death.

Also, if we are dealing with a pretty intelligent, closely human like creature, things might get even more complicated and interesting at the same time.

Interesting analysis. I personally don't have much time for videos that have to make a big effort to "see" something in foliage/trees. It just gets waaay too subjective and loses any real value other than passing interest (if you have the time). I'm happy to let "bigfoot" keep hiding or popping in and out of densities or whatever for as long as it likes. I'm content to wait until it/he/his owners decide that he can reveal himself more clearly and save me the bother of trying to pick him out of a bunch of jumbled leaves.

I’m not quite sure what to make of this. I’ve watched a few different videos on this Tik Tokker Andrew Dawson.

Watched it out of curiosity due to being somewhat familiar with the area (never heard of the guy of focus or the YT narrator). It seemed, overall, that the video was making many assertions without real detail; choppy bits etc., with general lack of evidence or other collaborating witnesses and his narrative, which seemed to be a somewhat unconvincing of a story - if he is dead, and it is not assured, no, I'm sorry.

The really big scene takes place at 2:06 from far away - easily 10 km., then at 2:09 it pans in:

No man:
1672643386040.png

Within the same time stamp (2:09):

Something:
1672643446885.png

At 2:10 he pans well back and on the same 2:10 frame there is a super fast cut to up close.

On a still it shows this:

1672645239703.png

Kind of looked like a radio repeater station at first glance.

🤷‍♂️ Someone with film experience could sequence it better, yet it seemed off.

In one choppy scene the car outside his house was speeding away (3:34), with a near identical car - it looked the same based on the taillights (7:17) - like a Chevy/Charger, that was suppose to be an official that Dawson does not describe other than CIA hints, yet he turns around and bows out after the guy says the road is closed, turn around. There are only two officials that close a road, the RCMP and Parks Canada. As for the helicopters that he makes a big deal about (could not even see Whistler’s Peak - could have been well away or a whole different location), this area would have many helicopters going back and forth, with long-lining not at all usual. Again, no context here other than whatever it was being flown and his words, which is left to the imagination.

Like almost all these resort towns of this nature (Jasper in this and Banff is the same), there are indeed stories of high strangeness paranormal activities, and the YT guy makes effort to link past stories to Dawson's accounting. Moreover, the YT guy finds some clips of people discussing BFoot tracks, saying they were not like a bears - hikers who never bothered to take a picture (like I forgot).

Back to Dawson, one Reddit user (looked there as there is not much else on this), said:

Y’all this was thoroughly debunked. The military base that appeared overnight is a ski lift west of Calgary, AB on the way to Banff. Many people on the internet have commented on that.

It is very clearly a TikTok scam and is in no way indicative of whether or not giants are real.

On Know your Meme:

The Andrew Dawson Giant On Mountain Sighting is a viral video posted by TikToker @andykapt in April 2022 in which he records what appears to be a giant person standing on Whistlers Peak mountain in Alberta, Canada. The video was proceeded by several other videos where Dawson attempts to see the giant again and claims he's being followed by the CIA. In May, he claimed the video was fake but took that claim back later in the month, making one final video of a building now standing where the giant was before disappearing from the platform. Later that year, unsubstantiated rumors that Dawson died after the final video started to spread online, leading to a conspiracy theory revolving around the event.

No Jasper residence jumped in on the story that can be seen.

Here is wider discussion of it all:

My 2 cents

Finished the latest and last episode of Paulides Bigfoot Class. There is one pretty interesting account I want to highlight because it sheds some more light on the apparent ability of the phenomenon to interfere with cameras. You can see it below.

Paulides recounts one of his personal experiences with his wife in regard to "Bigfoot". As Paulides explains earlier in the clip, his wife was pretty skeptical and/or not open about the phenomenon before she had any personal contact with it and saw things with her own eyes. Anyways, Paulides and his wife were out hiking in area where a missing person case happened about 60 years ago in Wyoming. Paulides wife was ahead of him and found one single giant human like foot imprint in the ground (aka. likely from "Bigfoot"). So his wife took out her phone to make a picture of the imprint besides her own foot for scale. But, even though her phone was fully charged and presumably functional before they started the trip, the phone went dead as soon as she tried to take the picture= So, she couldn't take a photo. So then, Paulides took out his own phone to take the picture, and the same thing happened: His Phone went dead as soon as he tried to take the picture= No picture could be taken. Next Paulides took out his expensive dedicated camera from his backpack to try to take a picture of the Footprint. As soon as he tried to take the picture, the camera showed a "lens flare error" warning, that never occurred in the 4 years he owned the camera in which he took a couple of thousand pictures= He couldn't take a picture of the footprint with that camera either.

Other strange things seemed to happen. They both saw about 10 dead elk carcasses all in this one area just about 30-50 feet away, in the form of very old whitened bones. That was something Paulides never saw before. Later on, after they had hiked a couple of miles further, all three cameras worked again and they took pictures. What are the chances of that happening by accident? I would say that is a typical example of what seems to happen when people try to take pictures or videos of Bigfoot or things related to it:

Somehow, whatever is going on seems to interfere with camera equipment almost every time people try to capture the phenomenon. Or something about the phenomena seems to affect camera equipment. As Paulides rightly points out later, something quite similar seems to often happen in UFO cases, and I would personally say, more generally speaking, often in cases that seem to have some kind of high strangeness attached to it.

Last edited:
I’m not quite sure what to make of this. I’ve watched a few different videos on this Tik Tokker Andrew Dawson. Dawson posted a video about seeing a “giant” on top of Whistler’s Peak in Jasper National park in Alberta, Canada. He then posts more videos of trying to get up to the park to investigate the area and being turned away by government officials. He reports being stalked, then posts a video that everything he had posted was fake. He then later posts that he’s scared, and everything he posted wasn’t fake but was real. He then quit posting and a month later an obituary with his death was found.

I don’t know if the original video was a “giant” or not, but it appears something was up there that wasn’t in the other videos. The whole thing seems strange culminating in his death.
One thing in this interesting story doesn’t make sense. As far as i know CIA doesn’t have jurisdiction in Canada. And this guy claims he was stopped by CIA agent.

The video offers a good look at the terrain (ends with a Ukraine virtue signal).

The family posted this at the end of the year :-((don't know why it comes up in German):

Today marks two months. Dad has done multiple searches in December on and off the trail with no findings. With winter hitting the park hard, all we can do is wait for spring and hope Laura is found in 2023.
I planted these paper whites after returning home from WA, they bloomed this week.

Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 05-39-09 David Paulides on Twitter.png

Mount Baldy California. Hmm, talk about the song of the sirens.

January 18
A search for the 65-year-old 'The Killing Fields,' 'A Room With A View' and 'Warlock' actor was temporarily called off due to dangerous conditions in the area
British actor Julian Sands has gone missing while hiking near Mt. Baldy in the San Gabriel Mountains northeast of Los Angeles.

The 65-year-old, who is known for his roles in "The Killing Fields," "A Room With A View" and "Warlock," was reported missing on Friday in the Baldy Bowl area around 7:30 p.m., a representative for the San Bernardino Country Sheriff's Department confirmed to Fox News Digital.

The spokesman said that ground crews conducting a search for Sands were called off on Saturday evening due to avalanche risk and the weather conditions in the area.

Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 05-11-31 Actor Julian Sands identified as missing hiker in California.png
"However, we did continue efforts by helicopter and by drone as the weather permitted," the representative said. "We will schedule another ground search when the weather improves and when it is safe for the conditions of our ground crew."

‘DAYS OF OUR LIVES’ ACTOR JAMES LASTOVIC HAS BEEN FOUND AFTER REPORTED MISSING IN HAWAII

He added, "We recommend that other hikers do not go into that area as even experienced hikers are having a hard time." The representative noted that forest services were responsible for the area but the San Bernardino office was working in conjunction with them on the search.

A representative for Sands did not immediately respond to Fox News Digital's request for comment.

Sands was born in West Yorkshire, England, but currently resides in North Hollywood, California, per authorities. He has appeared in dozens of films and TV shows, including "Ocean's 13," "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo," "Arachnophobia," "Boxing Helena," "Medallion" and "Leaving Las Vegas."

Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 05-13-08 Actor Julian Sands identified as missing hiker in California.png

His television credits include roles in "Smallville," "Dexter," "Gotham," "Banshee" and "What/If."

Due to a series of recent winter storms, authorities have warned that conditions in the Mt. Baldy area are extremely dangerous.

The San Bernadino Sheriff's office said that they have conducted 14 search and rescue operations in the past month and two hikers were fatally injured in falls, per KTLA.

Missing Cases from Colorado and California
Jan 18, 2023

Since the end of December 2020, there have been at least 3 and maybe 4 strange missing 411 cases on the Portuguese island of Madeira.

images

From wikipedia: Madeira Portuguese:, officially the Autonomous Region of Madeira, is one of two autonomous regions of Portugal, the other being the Azores. It is an archipelago situated in the North Atlantic Ocean, in a region known as Macaronesia, just under 400 kilometers (250 mi) to the north of the Canary Islands and 520 kilometers (320 mi) west of Morocco. Madeira is geologically located on the African Tectonic Plate, although its people are descended from Portuguese settlers. Its population was 251,060 in 2021. The capital of Madeira is Funchal, which is located on the main island's south coast.

When the C's said in the last session that especially German genes are in high demand by STS, i thought of having read about these cases in the newspaper and decided to check it out some more. It appears that David Paulides did a video on them some 2 weeks ago! Here it is:

At 24:30 he goes into the cases. It is known that 3 of the missing men were world level elite runners. Some 15,000 hectares of the 27,000 hectares large natural park on Madeira was declared an Unesco World Heritage Site, and consists of primary laurel forest. Paulides says that many cases happen on these kind of Unesco sites, which to him are a red flag.

The first case concerns fit German runner Jasha Paul Hardenberg, 28, who was running on 29th December in the mountains, when he disappeared without a trace. At 2pm on December 29 he sent a friend his georeference, saying he was lost – since then, nothing. Police conducted a 4 day search, and after finding nothing they gave up. David Paulides mentions finding it strange that one can not find a lot about this case online.

Next case concerns experienced mountain trail runner Michal Kozek (35), who is Polish but lives in Switzerland, and who disappeared on 7th July 2021. He was on holiday in Madeira with his wife and kids, and went running on a planned running route. But other than a ‘ping’ from his phone logged on a telecommunications mast at 8pm, there has been nothing to help searchers at all. In this case the search went on longer, with Michal's brother actively participating. They found absolutely nothing.

Then on 11th December 2022, ultra elite athlete Darren Kay (52) from the UK went missing, while running on a trail. He had some 20 years of running experience at elite level under his belt. When he went missing, the police launched a massive search. They were hindered by high altitude winds which were keeping flights down. After 10 days of fruitless searching, they called it off. Nothing was found.

With respect to the possible 4th case, Paulides mentions Benoit Way in the video but couldn't find much evidence that his case is part of this missing 411 'new cluster' on the island of Madeira (as he calls it, and he btw says that many missing runners were on islands surrounded by water), but in this online newspaper report there was an article about it. It concerns 35 year old French guy Benoit Way. He was hiking and was not an elite trail runner, and went missing on 1st September 2021.

There isn't much information and the main stream media do not connect the cases. It could be that Madeira doesn't want to scare off tourists, there were 1,5 million of those in 2019, and after the severe covid measures they has in place there, i can imagine they didn't want to jeopardize that income. At 42:20 in the video, Paulides wonders why residents of Madeira who are long runners are not going missing, perhaps it is because their genes are not useful for the nefarious purposes of STS...

Some more details from the Julian Sands case:

The search for British actor Julian Sands continues nearly a week after he was reported missing while hiking in a treacherous area of California’s San Gabriel Mountains, where at least two other hikers have already perished this winter.

The search for the 65-year-old actor is currently being conducted “via helicopter only”, the San Bernardino county sheriff’s department said Friday afternoon, because the risk of avalanches around Mt Baldy has continued to make on-the-ground rescue efforts too dangerous.

There is currently no timeline for ending the search for Sands, department spokesperson Gloria Huerta said on Friday.

The Mt Baldy bowl area where Sands was hiking has been a deadly one this winter, with at least two hikers killed in the area after falling and injuring themselves in the past month, according to the sheriff’s department.

One of the two hikers who died, identified by local media as Crystal Paula Gonzalez, was an experienced hiker, known to family and friends as “the hiking queen,” CBS News Los Angeles reported. Authorities said that Gonzalez, who had previously summited Mt Whitney, one of the highest peaks in the United States, slipped and fell more than 500ft while hiking on 8 January, and died of her injuries on the mountain.

Search and rescue teams have responded to more than two dozen different incidents of lost or injured hikers in the Mt Baldy area over the past month, with authorities this week warning even experienced hikers to stay away from the mountain during “extremely dangerous” conditions.

Sands, an avid hiker and longtime resident of the Los Angeles area, was reported missing around 7.30pm last Friday. Pings from his cell phone logged in subsequent days only showed his movements on 13 January, the sheriff’s department said late Friday.

Initial ground and helicopter searches of one of his possible locations that day did not locate any evidence of Sands, the department said. Further analysis of Sands’ cell phone location data is ongoing, but, “Thus far, no workable leads have been developed”, the department said.

At this point, there is no data that indicates Sands’ whereabouts after Friday, the day he was reported missing, Huerta said. His vehicle was located in the Mt Baldy area, and has been towed by his family, she said.

“Additional air searches will be conducted,” the department said.

As California has been buffeted by winter storms, weather conditions in the mountain have inhibited attempts to assist missing and injured hikers, including Sands. Rescue crews looking for Sands on the ground had to be pulled off the mountain on Saturday night because of the dangerous weather. Weather conditions also inhibited the efforts to evacuate Gonzalez, the injured hiker, off the mountain to a hospital, a medic told CBS News Los Angeles. She left behind five children, the news outlet reported.

More than 21 people have died across California in the storms of the past few weeks, and others, including a five-year-old boy swept away in flood waters, remain missing.
So he's gone missing in a place, and at a time, where bad weather has caused other experienced hikers to die recently, so it's too early to say whether it's a likely 'Missing 411' case.

Back
Top Bottom