Buckwheat - A Super Food!

Hi Infiniteness,

Also if you live in the US, you can buy buckwheat in bulk at Sprouts Farmers Markets or at Central Market. Some HEB stores may also have it as well.

_http://sproutsfarmersmarket.com/home.php

_http://www.centralmarket.com/

I have bought it from both stores and it seems fine. I have been unable to find buckwheat groats at any of my local stores, though.

aleana

Galahad said:
Have you tried any of the health food stores in your area? You might have better luck looking there than in a commercial grocery or supermarket.

Hi Galahad,

The health food store that I usually go to doesn't have none, but I decided to Google some other health food stores in a near my city/called them and they did have some so I will check it out.

c.a. said:
Hi Infiniteness, If your in the United States, www.wholefoodsmarket.com carries a line of organic as well as non organic buckwheat. One of the product line's they carry for buckwheat is by www.arrowheadmills.com

aleana said:
Hi Infiniteness,

Also if you live in the US, you can buy buckwheat in bulk at Sprouts Farmers Markets or at Central Market. Some HEB stores may also have it as well.

_http://sproutsfarmersmarket.com/home.php

_http://www.centralmarket.com/

I have bought it from both stores and it seems fine. I have been unable to find buckwheat groats at any of my local stores, though.

aleana

Hi c.a. and aleana,

I will surly check out the links that you have given and the health store, and see whats the best deal. Thank you for the help.

c.a. said:
Posted by: Infiniteness
Hi all,
I was wondering dose anybody have any good online sites where they buy there buckwheat flour, I went looking for it in many of my grocery stores but no luck.

Hi Infiniteness, If your in the United States, www.wholefoodsmarket.com carries a line of organic as well as non organic buckwheat. One of the product line's they carry for buckwheat is by www.arrowheadmills.com

Just FYI. The bulk buckwheat Whole Foods sells, seems to be really organic. I was able to sprout buckwheat kernels they sell overnight with high success rate. I'd figured, that sprouting is one of the ways to check if seeds are really organic or not.

3D Student said:
Hey Infiniteness, also try http://www.bobsredmill.com/. You can buy stuff online and they ship out of Washington state.

Hi 3D Student,

I will surly check it out. Still undecided were to buy, but today's my supplement and food shopping day, so I will have to decide today.

agni said:
c.a. said:
Posted by: Infiniteness
Hi all,
I was wondering dose anybody have any good online sites where they buy there buckwheat flour, I went looking for it in many of my grocery stores but no luck.

Just FYI. The bulk buckwheat Whole Foods sells, seems to be really organic. I was able to sprout buckwheat kernels overnight they sell with high success rate. I'd figured, that sprouting is one of the way to check if seeds are really organic or not.

Hi agni,

Thanks for the input, I am also looking for organic.

Just made muffins with fresh ground buckwheat and they were delicious, I made my own sourdough starter - it was ready yesterday so I made a mix 1/2 starter + buckwheat + some make + sea salt. left it overnight to rise. Fantastic taste.

Reading through thread I see people have attempted bread with yeast. I will make up a bread mix using just buckwheat / salt / oil + some sour starter and let you know if it crumbles or not.

Has anyone tried a flatbread with it I used to make pancakes with it years back but never tried pitta type or paratha - more experiments await.

Ok, it is obvious this morning that my sourdough buckwheat bread recipe is not going to work in a bread tin loaf , too heavy and not enough air, probably the lack of gluten therefore no elasticity. I the flour by grinding fresh dried buckwheat. I wonder if others who have made this used a flour from toasted buckwheat.

Stevie Argyll said:
Ok, it is obvious this morning that my sourdough buckwheat bread recipe is not going to work in a bread tin loaf , too heavy and not enough air, probably the lack of gluten therefore no elasticity. I the flour by grinding fresh dried buckwheat. I wonder if others who have made this used a flour from toasted buckwheat.

In order to give any advice I would need your recipe in more detail.

As I've said before, after a couple years of experimentation, I gave up entirely working with yeast with buckwheat and other less glutinous flours. If you decide that bread does not have to be yeasty, you can get along fine with using baking powder and baking soda, depending on what you are making.

I've also given up the idea of loaves mostly, unless I'm making a cake-like break, because these flours, once again, don't have the stickiness for loaves. We make small blinis for sandwich purposes, breads for meals, muffins, etc. In fact, the blini sized cake fried in good fat serves all our general bread purposes. You don't have to slice the bread because it is already the right size and shape.

If we lived in a world where there was no glutinous wheat flour, no yeast, how would we think about bread? Obviously, very differently. So that is the world I live in by choice.

broken.english said:
Stevie Argyll said:

In order to give any advice I would need your recipe in more detail.

Hi Broken English

I used my spelt loaf recipe which I make up by eyeball and texture - but I reckon its about 6 to 4 flour to water. I converted a spelt sourdough starter which I have had for years to buckwheat - I use the buckwheat starter for a buckwheat muffins mix which is just frech ground buckwheat, 1 egg, sourdough starter and some milk. I leave it overnight - next morning my muffin mix has risen. so for my buckwheat bread recipe I ground around 500 g buckwheat, added salt, a tablespoon of oil and water until slighty sticky. I never measured water , I usually add liquids to the texture I want.
When making a rye sourdough I have a much wetter mix than if making a spelt, i tried to make the buckwheat resemble the splet dough, perhaps I should have tried a rye type instead.

I have an idea I might try in next couple of days. My buckwheat muffin mix is full of air and risen after a days proving, therefore the buckwheat/egg mix is able to trap co2 given off by sourdough so I might go for a brioche type bread once I have used up the failed bread recipe which I converted to batter for pancakes.

Hi Stevie,

I have to guess a bit as I don't have the precise quantities of your ingredients. Some ideas:

- Water: total quantity for 500 gr flour should be 520-550 ml water
- The main dough should be slightly above medium density
- For more elasticity consider making a Brühstück. For more details please check my buckwheat sourdough bread recipe in this thread:
http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=16675.0
- For more rising power add 1 tsp baking soda to the main dough
- Ground flax seed plus same quantity of water is probably more helpful than oil
- Rising time for the main dough is hard to predict. You may have to experiment a bit.

broken.english said:
Hi Stevie,

I have to guess a bit as I don't have the precise quantities of your ingredients. Some ideas:

- For more elasticity consider making a Brühstück. For more details please check my buckwheat sourdough bread recipe in this thread:
- Ground flax seed plus same quantity of water is probably more helpful than oil
- Rising time for the main dough is hard to predict. You may have to experiment a bit.

Far more water than I tried Broken English, more like a rye dough / cake mix. Will give it a go next week, thanks V much !

Laura said:
I've also given up the idea of loaves mostly, unless I'm making a cake-like break, because these flours, once again, don't have the stickiness for loaves. We make small blinis for sandwich purposes, breads for meals, muffins, etc. In fact, the blini sized cake fried in good fat serves all our general bread purposes. You don't have to slice the bread because it is already the right size and shape.

Yeah, definitely. I've started cooking the small pancakes in animal fat I procured from my butcher, along with using a cast iron pan. I've got to say, it makes cooking the cakes much, much easier and quicker. Have you guys tried making a biscuit recipe from the buckwheat? I'd love try some biscuits and gravy with the bison sausage we get here. Would the muffin recipe suffice for that? Sorry I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to cooking different kinds of breads.

Stevie Argyll said:
broken.english said:
Hi Stevie,

Far more water than I tried Broken English, more like a rye dough / cake mix. Will give it a go next week, thanks V much !

Yes, but the water quantity of 520 ml includes the water for the Brühstück, which is 230 ml. Without the Brühstück you cannot get that much water into a buckwheat bread.

Back
Top Bottom