Buckwheat - A Super Food!

Rabelais said:
Laura said:
We had buckwheat pancakes for breakfast yesterday and they were deee-licious! Here's what I used:

2 cups buckwheat flour
2 rounded teaspoons baking powder
salt
enough rice milk and water to make the batter the right consistency.

That's it.

No oil?

I've done it without oil and it's worked fine.

Heimdallr said:
Rabelais said:
Laura said:
We had buckwheat pancakes for breakfast yesterday and they were deee-licious! Here's what I used:

2 cups buckwheat flour
salt

That's it.

No oil?

Needs oil - lots of. Even melted butter. And plenty of salt because otherwise, it tastes rather bland.

Laura said:
Heimdallr said:
Rabelais said:
Laura said:

2 cups buckwheat flour
salt

That's it.

No oil?

Needs oil - lots of. Even melted butter. And plenty of salt because otherwise, it tastes rather bland.

Thanks. I was researching this in another thread. Perceval mentioned lots of raisin seed oil and when I didn't see it here ... uh oh.

I am going to make my first sarrasin crepes for breakfast tomorrow. Topped with banana, some fresh Reunion Island pineapple chunks and a very tasty local organic cherry syrup I found today. I'm hungry already.

I don't believe I ever ate buckwheat before.... not that I recall. Last Sunday, I made the buckwheat pancakes with rice milk and they were delicious! Buckwheat pancakes are replacing the evil donuts I used to have every Sunday. Now the Sunday staple will be buckwheat pancakes! :D

Thanks Laura to remind us that Buckweat is gluten free. I have done the mistake.

Hi. I would like to ask a question.
I saw in the date bread video that the flour was white, i bought some Buckwheat flour (which is called here Saracen wheat, i'm actually in Italy) but it it dark, like whole flour. Does anyone know if there is different kinds of buckwheat flour, maybe there is a difference between buckwheat flour and saracen flour?

Hi Green_Manalishi

In my experience, from all the bags of Buckwheat flour that I buy in the UK, from different suppliers, are on the white side of colouring, as is the flour in the bottom of the bags of Organic Buckwheat Flakes. I haven't come across any saracen flour, so I am unable to comment on that.

Green_Manalishi said:
Hi. I would like to ask a question.
I saw in the date bread video that the flour was white, i bought some Buckwheat flour (which is called here Saracen wheat, i'm actually in Italy) but it it dark, like whole flour. Does anyone know if there is different kinds of buckwheat flour, maybe there is a difference between buckwheat flour and saracen flour?

In France, buckwheat = sarrasin. The stuff I get is slightly darker than wheat flour.

This is the flour colour i get around here, some brands are a bit darker, or have more dark pieces in it (because as you can see it is spotted in appearance).

farina%20di%20grano%20saraceno%20500g.jpg

A funny thing is that, here in Italy, it is common to see pasta made of buckwheat, but it is never advertised as a food alternative for people who suffer from celiac disease.

Thanks for the overview. Though buckwheat plays significant role in my diet, along with millet, I've never done significant research into its health and nutritional properties, although in Central Europe it is common knowledge that buckwheat is beneficial to the cardiovascular system and is recommended to be eaten by people with cardiovascular disease. It's one of the great foods for replacing gluten containing foods.

As was said already it's good on its own for breakfast in porridge or use it to fortify soups or broths for example.

Hi Green_Manalishi,
The Buckwheat that we eat almost daily looks very much the same as your pic.

It's by Frankferd Farms(organic) and for anyone in the states, and is highly recommended.

Santa brought down a 6-month supply for us this Christmas. :D

Any one know what the packing looks like in a French Super Marchi, for buckwheat? :huh: I have yet to find it. Also i would add ground flax seed and shaved coconut to the buckwheat batter for the pancakes that I would make for the breakfast and even dinner. Both organic and always good.

Green_Manalishi said:
A funny thing is that, here in Italy, it is common to see pasta made of buckwheat, but it is never advertised as a food alternative for people who suffer from celiac disease.

Hi GreenM, I can confirm this too, is quite an oddity and you can't find a shelf of it on the local 'farmacia' where people supposedly go to find any gluten-free flour - it's almost all de-glutenized wheat flour only there.

Besides Italian sites on alternative nutrition know about buckwheat.

The only supermarket that has it it's the 'COOP' one so far. It's usually a white package, and it shares the same look with rice and kelp flour. It should be the same with any COOP s.m. all around Italy.

M.A.O. said:
Any one know what the packing looks like in a French Super Marchi, for buckwheat? :huh: I have yet to find it. Also i would add ground flax seed and shaved coconut to the buckwheat batter for the pancakes that I would make for the breakfast and even dinner. Both organic and always good.

"sarrasin" or "blé noir" I found it in supermarkets in both southwest and central France.

Back
Top Bottom