Buckwheat - A Super Food!

Patience said:
M.A.O. said:
Any one know what the packing looks like in a French Super Marchi, for buckwheat? :huh: I have yet to find it. Also i would add ground flax seed and shaved coconut to the buckwheat batter for the pancakes that I would make for the breakfast and even dinner. Both organic and always good.

"sarrasin" or "blé noir" I found it in supermarkets in both southwest and central France.

Here's a picture of the buckwheat flour (farine de sarrasin / farine de blé noir) that we buy in Intermarché (flour section).

farine.jpg

It's about 1.55 €/kg

There's also some organic flour (in bio stores) like this one:

103_38344_max.jpg

It's about 3.20 €/kg

Superb, fantastic. Thank you so much. I have a better vision of what to research in the markets, thanks to your photographs. “Thank you again” Belibaste!

Superbe, fantastique. Merci tellement. J'ai une meilleure vision de ce qui à la recherche sur les marchés, merci vos à vos photographies. « Merci encore » Belibaste !

Attachments

• buckwheat_pancakes.jpg
    buckwheat_pancakes.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4094.JPG
    IMG_4094.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 3
I have a question,

I made some buckwheat bread and it looked and smelt great in the tin, but when I took it out to slice it, it crumbled into little pieces lol.

I thought maybe I didn't put enough oil in it to make it hold together properly?? (It still tasted yummy though!) ;)

Carlybee said:
I have a question,

I made some buckwheat bread and it looked and smelt great in the tin, but when I took it out to slice it, it crumbled into little pieces lol.

I thought maybe I didn't put enough oil in it to make it hold together properly?? (It still tasted yummy though!) ;)

You made a buckwheat bread? Nice! If it crumbles I can give you some guidance how to avoid this. How was your recipe?

M.A.O. said:
Superb, fantastic. Thank you so much. I have a better vision of what to research in the markets, thanks to your photographs. “Thank you again” Belibaste!

Superbe, fantastique. Merci tellement. J'ai une meilleure vision de ce qui à la recherche sur les marchés, merci vos à vos photographies. « Merci encore » Belibaste !

I'm pleased it helped you! / Enchanté que ça t'ait aidé ! :)

A French website selling no gluten only products:
http://www.rizen-sans-gluten.com/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=1172033

Thank you Lu'thien for this link . The prices are very reasonable and a great alternative from what Ive had in the past.

Votre thoughtfullness est apreaciated. « Merci » ! ;D

A funny thing is that, here in Italy, it is common to see pasta made of buckwheat, but it is never advertised as a food alternative for people who suffer from celiac disease.

Yesterday, i looked into the ingredients of the said buckwheat pasta, and guess what, only 20% of it contains buckwheat.

Green_Manalishi said:
A funny thing is that, here in Italy, it is common to see pasta made of buckwheat, but it is never advertised as a food alternative for people who suffer from celiac disease.

Yesterday, i looked into the ingredients of the said buckwheat pasta, and guess what, only 20% of it contains buckwheat.

You have to read the labels carefully. A lot of buckwheat prepared foods are half, or more, wheat flour. I am a big fan of Japanese soba noodles. It is really hard to find them from 100% buckwheat, but they are available that way. I have to order them online from a Japanese foods company in the UK. For those who live on the west coast of the US, or in a city with a significant Japanese population, you can probably find a source for 100% soba noodles.

I have a Japanese friend who is going to teach me how to make them the old school way. I sure do miss the Japanese noodle rooms on the west coast in California. They make their buckwheat (soba) noodles fresh, from scratch, every morning.

buckwheat, really trying to get a hold of some and try the recipe in the video, but I never heard of it before and I don't believe it will be easy to find here in Mexico. Have any of our other mexican members come across this superfood?

I was just messing with an internet translator and I was looking up the words for buckwheat. In spanish it seems it's called trigo sarraceno or alforfón. FWIW

3D Student said:
I was just messing with an internet translator and I was looking up the words for buckwheat. In spanish it seems it's called trigo sarraceno or alforfón. FWIW

Yeah, or even "trigo negro" (black wheat). But it seems exotic to find such wheat around here.

broken.english said:
Carlybee said:
I have a question,

You made a buckwheat bread? Nice! If it crumbles I can give you some guidance how to avoid this. How was your recipe?

Hey :)

I used the following:

500g Buckwheat Flour
1 tblsp yeast
1 teasp bicarb soda
200g Olive Oil
55ml Distilled water
1/3 cup of mixed sunflour seeds, flaxseeds and pumpkin seeds

Kneaded the dough a little and put it in 2 oiled bread tins to rest for 50 mins then I baked for another 50 mins at 200 degrees C.

To be honest it turned out more like a crumbly cake lol. Any help appreciated! Ta :)

Carlybee said:
I used the following:

500g Buckwheat Flour
1 tblsp yeast
1 teasp bicarb soda
200g Olive Oil
55ml Distilled water
1/3 cup of mixed sunflour seeds, flaxseeds and pumpkin seeds

Kneaded the dough a little and put it in 2 oiled bread tins to rest for 50 mins then I baked for another 50 mins at 200 degrees C.

To be honest it turned out more like a crumbly cake lol. Any help appreciated! Ta :)

I thought we were trying to get RID of yeast? ;D

Back
Top Bottom