Are Cass names a Code?

Re: Cassiopaean's Names in Sessions

So I do have something to say now that I have had some time to analyze the names of the C's. I don't think I have seen everything there is to see yet, but the system that the names are built on is pretty systematic, with a few exceptions that I will note at the end of this post. As an initial caveat, I want to remind everyone of this recent quote from the C's that Anart mentioned earlier today:

A: Hello!

Q: (L) And who do we have with us?

A: Groilla of Cassiopaea unified thought.

Q: (L) Why did you add the extra to the introduction?

A: You sometimes forget that a "name" is just a convention for your convenience. We thought a reminder was in order.

So remember, the C's seem to be providing names at every session as a kind of courtesy to Laura et al (and probably the rest of us as well, indirectly). There is no reason to believe that the names are 'real' in the sense that they belong to 'individual' Cassiopaeans, and we have no idea where they get the names from -- for all we know, they just make them up on the spot. Regardless, as I said, their choice of names does seem to have some kind of order behind it, and that's what I'm going to explore now.

Note that there is only one name that is recognizable in English: Poinsettia (Corsoca is mentioned as a name taken from a piece of literature: see Luthien's post below). Another word, Fortunaea, seems like it could be a possible name, although it isn't actually as far as I can tell.

(Also, quick note to SAO -- I haven't had a chance to try _http://textalyser.net/ yet because I wanted to get the initial analysis up tonight, but I am going to play with it in the next couple of days and see what I can figure out -- thanks for the site address).

I am going to go through the Cassiopaean names in kind of the same way that I did the planet names a couple days ago -- I'll try to be thorough, but not get so technical that it becomes boring. Questions and comments always welcome.

Phonology

In analyzing the sounds from which the names are constructed, I am keeping in mind that they are being spelled out over a spirit board, which means there is a restriction to the 26 letters of the English alphabet -- that means that if there is a sound that be signified by a single letter from the English orthography, it will have to be spelled out using a digraph (a combination of two letters). Otherwise, I make a blind assumption that the letters used by the C's correspond closely to the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA). And speaking of which, if you are curious you might want to take a look at the following link to an interactive IPA chart for comparison with what I lay out below -- its fun in its own right:

_http://www.paulmeier.com/ipa/charts.html

Consonants

The following is the chart of consonants used in the names. Any consonant that occurs only once, I place in parentheses:

p t c k (q)
pp tt (cc) (kk)
ph th kh
b d j g
gg
(tz)
f s (sh) x h
(ff) xx hh
v z
(zz)
m n
mm nn
hm hn
l
ll

w r y
rr
hr

There are a few interesting things about this consonant inventory. One is the fact that there are pervasive geminates, which are consonants that are held for a duration that is nearly twice as long as long as their short counterparts (so, for example [pp] would be held about twice as long as [p]). Geminates are usually related to word stress, and almost always occur in the middles of words, which is true here.

Another interesting fact is that there are voiceless sonorants [hm, hn, hr] which from an English point-of-view are very exotic.

There are two phonemes which are conspicuously absent -- one is the velar nasal, which is spelled /ng/ in English -- it never occurs once, so it seems safe to say that the C's don't use it. The other is voiceless [hl], which would be expected to occur if there is also voiceless [hm, hn, hr].

Phonotactics

Consonant clusters are pretty normal from the standpoint of English. It is however interesting to notice the occurrence of one more 'exotic' consonant cluster, [xy], as in the following names (the phoneme x is a sound many English-speakers associate with German or Scottish -- its the same sound you probably make during E-E when you breathe out during pipe-breathing):

Xyorra
Xyenri
Vinxyoh

Vowels

The following is the chart of vowels:

i y u
ii
e o
ee oo
a
aa

This is a six-vowel inventory which is pretty normal typologically except for the [y], which is a vowel written in European languages as /u/ with an umlaut (two dots above it), and it sounds like the vowel i except you round your lips. Vocalic /y/ has to be distinguished from consonantal /y/ based on its position in the word. This shows up in the following names:

Yxorra
Yxtorra
Yzgorra
Sycoritia
Lynostieah
Yloloh

The one other interesting feature of the vowel inventory is vowel-length. As with geminate consonants, a long vowel is about twice as long as a short vowel. There is one gap in the system above: an absence of long [uu] and [yy] (these are both of fairly low frequency to begin with).

Prosody

It is difficult to infer much about the prosody (which is how stress is assigned and how words are divided into syllables), with one possible exception. It is clear that the C's love vowels, and aren't afraid to parse several of them in a row, for example:

Teiurannea
Yeaionnia
Ohellieae
Xiooira

Languages of this sort usually have a timing system described as 'moraic' (the best-known moraic language is probably Japanese). What this means is that every vowel gets an equal count, and so the first name above would be divided into syllables like this:

Te.i.u.ran.ne.a

Morphology

As has already been observed, the C's have a propensity for certain endings on their names, the most common of which is /-a/ (Anart already mentioned a subtype of this, /-aea/). Cassioapaean names have a strong tendency to end in vowels (there are obviously exceptions), and there are a few of these endings that occur often enough that it is likely they represent some sort of suffix which occurs commonly in name formation. By far the most frequent is /-a/, and I list examples below with the suffix segmented (note: please excuse some of the very long name lists below -- I had severe alignment issues, and will try to get it fixed later if I can figure out how):

Wonnap-a
Wisom-a
Maranatt-a
Vort-a
Corsoc-a
Sorron-a
Loxacc-a
Koork-a
Soroc-a
Yon-a
Jozz-a
Enduand-a
Lopsiatz-a
Jemmon-a
Daohh-a
Eommn-a
Dedeb-a
Tir-a
Nomihh-a
Uru-a
Vedeeb-a
Vir-a
Wasann-a
Oppono-a
Ellag-a
Xor-a
Nilionn-a
Lio-a
Batuv-a
Tor-a
Winyonn-a
Hifa-a
Anoov-a
Ior-a
Kionn-a
Lorskva-a
Honaz-a
Rolor-a
Roll-a
Wamph-a
Gorror-a
Jopall-a
Lourith-a
Eggedor-a
Groill-a
Wonikh-a
Sorrillor-a
Leijoo-a
Emorrih-a
Pamthor-a
Azah-a
Xiooir-a
Shour-a
Noniger-a
Bayreer-a

Since /-a/ occurs very frequently after /-rr-/, I had originally considered /-rra/ a separate suffix, but this is probably not correct because (1) [rr] is very frequent in general and (2) to segment it this way would leave many of the roots very short (only CV), so I now consider this to be part of the above category (a name with a (2) after it means it occurs twice in the transcripts):

Sorr-a (2)
Xyorr-a
Cederr-a
Honnorr-a
Torr-a (2)
Yxorr-a
Donarr-a
Jimmorr-a
Vorr-a
Yxtorr-a
Decorr-a
Nuthurr-a
Vurr-a
Yzgorr-a
Lomarr-a
Urturr-a
Lorr-a
Alorr-a
Lomorr-a
Kiolorr-a
Marr-a
Olorr-a
Lororr-a
Vostorr-a
Hnorr-a
Hidorr-a

A similar suffix is /-ia/:

Sycorit-ia
Poinsett-ia
Astas-ia
Yeaionn-ia
Wikij-ia
Lorienn-ia
Olonnag-ia
Gioll-ia
Riv-ia
Sorr-ia
Wokuh-ia
Larr-ia
Prom-ia
Tomorr-ia
Kolon-ia
Ixthorr-ia
Poron-ia
Gronnio-ia
Calon-ia
Kourn-ia
Hiperion-ia
Onoko-ia
Poinon-ia
Elmino-ia
Biomin-ia
Orothe-ia
Fiil-ia
Toyji-ia
Tiklor-ia
Koroi-ia
Tor-ia
Olimp-ia

Another is /-ea/ (or, since there are fewer of these, its possible that the correct analysis is /e-a/):

Rolig-ea (or Rolige-a)
Romomm-ea (or Romomme-a)
Ropponi-ea (or Ropponie-a)
Zan-ea (or Zane-a)
Teiurann-ea (or Teiuranne-a)
Haili-ea (or Hailie-a)
Porson-ea (or Porsone-a)
Fonorr-ea (or Fonorre-a)
Lori-ea (or Lorie-a)
Bader-ea (or Badere-a)
Opl-ea (or Ople-a)
Wonni-ea (or Wonnie-a)
Wosarri-ea (or Wosarrie-a)

And a variant of this is /-a-ea/ (a la Cassiopaea). Or, based on the names Ammiliwae and Ohellieae, these could alternatively be segmented as /ae-a/:

Fortun-a-ea (or Fortunae-a)
Giff-a-ea (or Giffae-a)
Sonori-a-ea (or Sonoriae-a)
Sikelor-a-ea (or Sikelorae-a)
Roll-a-ea (or Rollae-a)
Riahonoi-a-ea (or Riahonoiae-a)
Kilo-a-ea (or Kiloae-a)
Gurs-a-ea (or Gursae-a)
Figli-a-ea (or Figliae-a)
Leahri-a-ea (or Leahriae-a)

There are several names that end with [h], but only those with /-ah/ endings are statistically common enough to be analyzed with a suffix:

Kinnem-ah
Timm-ah
Zon-ah
Laopinn-ah
Zollan-ah
Zall-ah
Rommol-ah
Kroll-ah
Honnor-ah
Feorrall-ah
Nimommar-ah
Ponoll-ah
Verri-ah
Jarr-ah
Ekoki-ah
Morr-ah
Sori-ah
Uturr-ah
Lynostie-ah
Uthurr-ah
Yort-ah
Higurr-ah
Mohn-ah
Rinirr-ah
Piliann-ah
Siann-ah
Mann-ah

Exceptions

There are a handful of names that seem odd (sometimes really odd) for one reason or another, and I'll briefly list these below.

First, there are a couple of words with what are called syllabic sonorants, where a sound that usually acts as a consonant occupies the place in the word normally reserved for vowels:

Mahijm
Rindr

This is true of the final [m] in the first word and the final [r] in the second. This is not as unusual as it looks -- it actually happens in English (it just isn't written that way), although some languages do encode this in the orthography -- one example is Heimdallr (where the final [r] is a syllabic [r]). More extreme examples of this are the following two names (geminate [ll] in both cases, and [n] additionally in the second one):

Sijll
znsllsos

The following ending [-hk] is not impossible, but pretty marked:

Torrillahk

Its also unusual to have a voiced sonorant [r] clustering with a voiceless sonorant [hn]:

Klorhn

Geminates also don't normally occur in word-final position:

Aldronn
Votorr

And speaking of geminates, they don't usually participate in consonant clusters:

Viaggmor
Eommna

Fogorrh
Njorrg

Both of these rules are violated in the place name 'Neormm' mentioned in session 4/29/95:

Neormm

The initial cluster in the last name above ([nj]) is rather marked, and the one in the following name ([jx]) is just kind of weird:

Jxoin

And finally, there is the infamous vowel-less name which Oxajil mentioned:

Xtqf

This one was so strange, I actually looked the session up, and discovered that it was the session where Terry and Jan had returned after a long hiatus and everything in the first part was screwy, so this particular name is probably not representative of the kind of name that our vowel-loving C's would usually choose.

Edited: vowel section (included the vowel [y]); added more examples of 'exceptions'; reanalyzed /-rra/ and gave alternatives for /-ea/ and /-a-ea/

Re: Cass name's and The Protennoia

Hi Ana --

In case you are still interested in this question, you can check out the following new thread:

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=14310.0

It doesn't answer your specific inquiry, but it does address the pattern that you noticed in your initial post.

Re: Cass name's and The Protennoia

shijing said:
Hi Ana --

In case you are still interested in this question, you can check out the following new thread:

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=14310.0

It doesn't answer your specific inquiry, but it does address the pattern that you noticed in your initial post.

Yes I have seen it, thank you shijing :)

piliannah

Any like a***h or with the ?? you can just put "Anna" in - I sometimes do find and replace for personal names and it doesn't always work out well.... It's really bad when you do find and replace for an entire folder of files and realize that you SHOULD have selected "for it to recognize capital letters and whole words only. This has created some interesting glitches in the transcripts.

Piliannah
Siannah
Mannah

shijing said:
Note that there is only one name that is recognizable in English: Poinsettia (Corsoca is mentioned as a name taken from a piece of literature, although I don't remember which at the moment).

See here:
http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=9016.0
July 16, 19941
Frank, Candy and Laura

Q: Hello.
A: Hello.
Q: Do you have any messages for us?
A: Keep doing what comes naturally.
Q. (L) In what respect?
A: Study.
Q: (L) What is your name?
A: Mucpeor.
Q: (L) Are you an alien from another planet?
A: Alien from your perspective, yes.
Q: (L) What is your group called?
A: Corsas.
[...]

Q: (L) What planet are you from?
A: Corsoca.
Q: Where is that?
A: 2 DILOR. [Some confusion about this as the planchette had begun to mover rather quickly and this is not complete.]

Laura said:
Notice:
1) In response to the question "are you an alien from another planet", the response did not confirm that assumption, but rather was "alien from your perspective."

2) Then, the assumption was pushed with the question: "What planet are you from?" Keep in mind that this was our first interaction with the Cs and we were not yet familiar with their way of "teaching" that developed over time. Anyway, the answer was "Corsoca." This was the first "coded message" from the Cs.

You see, I was, at that point in time, reading Jacques Vallee's book "Revelations". At the beginning of each section, there are quotes from Cassilda's Song in The King in Yellow, Act 1, Scene 2, by Robert W. Chambers. The Song goes:

Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is... Lost Carcosa.
Songs that the Pleiades shall sing,
Where flap the tatters of the King,
Must die unheard in ... Dim Carcosa.
Along the shore the cloud waves break,
The twin suns sink behind the lake,
The shadows lengthen... In Carcosa.

So, of course, having just read this poem, I was immediately struck by the similarity of Corsoca to Carcosa. In fact, I can't even swear that the Cs did not spell out Carcosa because the unusual nature of the event of the first contact with the Cs was a bit disorienting and I wasn't the one writing the notes. It should be remembered that we did not tape the sessions at this point, so there was no way to confirm what was said except from the notes written by a person who was dyslexic!!!

And:
Wikipedia:
Carcosa is a fictional city in the Ambrose Bierce short story "An Inhabitant of Carcosa" (1891). In Bierce's story, the ancient and mysterious city is barely described, and is viewed only in hindsight (after its destruction) by a character who once lived there.
Its name may be derived from the medieval city of Carcassonne in southern France, whose Latin name was "Carcaso".

anart said:
shijing said:
I actually thought about this passage last night when we first got going on this, and I agree -- based on what you quote above, there is no reason to necessarily believe that these are the 'real names' of the C's per se, or anything like that. It is interesting to see what the patterns are behind what they choose, for whatever reason, and I'm not expecting anything profound to emerge -- if it does, it will be icing on the cake of an otherwise fun exercise :)

Yes, and another aspect to possibly consider is how they spell the word Cassiopaea - that 'aea' ending is also present in many of the names. (As I'm sure you know, Cassiopaea is traditionally spelled Cassiopeia.) I mean, if you're looking at letters and all that... ;)

I was thinking about this as well. When I looked up Cassiopeia, I found that the name means "she whose words excel". It says this about the person:
The Queen Cassiopeia, wife of King Cepheus of the mythological realm of Ethiopia, was beautiful but also arrogant and vain; these latter two characteristics led to her downfall.

So perhaps, one reason they chose the different spelling is to separate themselves from the more familiar one...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassiopeia_%28mythology%29

Thank you shijing for this interesting analysis!

Most of these names sound like real names to me. Unusual, yes, but ... They are qualitatively different from random names. I generated random letter combinations with length of 6, 7, 8, and 9 letters for you to compare:

Inzsab
Ymoorc

Aslhfeg
Nxfabsn

Ohctzphu
Ubehxzhy

Zvampbghv
Bdvfvqvye

[quote author=sh]Exceptions

There are a handful of names that seem odd (sometimes really odd) for one reason or another, and I'll briefly list these below.[/quote]

I decided to look up some of the odd names too just to see if there were any patterns or anything that stood out in these sessions. I didn't find anything striking other than most of these came from earlier sessions where Frank and others were present, but not always. Despite this, I did find a couple things that may be of note:

[quote author=sh]
The following ending [-hk] is not impossible, but pretty marked:

Torrillahk

[/quote]

It appears that there may have been some obstruction in the board during the beginning part of this session.

January 21, 1995 Frank, Laura, TR, JR, S, D, Chuck
Q: (L) Who do we have with us?
A: Torrillahk.
Q: (L) And where are you from, Torillahk?
A: Cassiopaea. [(L) Let's get the ridge out of the board.]
Q: (L) Do you have any messages?
A: Thank you. [Apparently for getting the ridge out of the board.]

[quote author=sh]And speaking of geminates, they don't usually occur at the ends of words:

Vostokokk[/quote]

I believe this one may be a typo. Should have an 'i' at the end.

February 3, 1996 F***, Laura, SV, PZ, SZ, MM, S., Tom F., C. D.., Pk. Z
Q: (L) Hello.
A: Words mean little.
Q: (L) What does that mean?
A: Your commentary.
Q: (L) My commentary?
A: SV's.
Q: (L) Okay, who do we have with us this evening?
A: Vostokokki.
Q: (L) Where are you transmitting from?
A: Cass.
Q: (L) Why are you not spelling Cassiopaea as is usual?

Laura said:
Any like a***h or with the ?? you can just put "Anna" in - I sometimes do find and replace for personal names and it doesn't always work out well.... It's really bad when you do find and replace for an entire folder of files and realize that you SHOULD have selected "for it to recognize capital letters and whole words only. This has created some interesting glitches in the transcripts.

Aha, that solves that -- thanks for the explanation Laura, and I will update accordingly.

RyanX said:
Most of these names sound like real names to me. Unusual, yes, but ... They are qualitatively different from random names.

Thanks for the examples you generated of random names to compare, Data -- I agree that they do have the feel of 'real' names. Actually, what struck me as I read through them is how much they resemble the kinds of names that kids will invent when they are making up characters for a story. They already have a sense of the constraints that have to be present for something to sound like a name, but they also create something novel, and the end result is something that we can tell sounds like it should be a name, but also sounds 'made up'. That isn't to say that the C's names necessarily sound juvenile, but it produces the same cognitive dissonance of 'I recognize that this should be a name, but its completely unfamiliar'. This is especially true with the 'suffixed' names, which have endings that are the same or similar to ones we are already familiar with (and some of which have kind of a Greek flavor to me, for whatever reason).

Hi RyanX,
Thanks for spotting the spelling error in "Vostokokki." I've corrected the error in the main list. :)

Just a quick note that 'Ormethion', the name of the thought center that created the Lizards (10/18/94) is consistent with the structural principles described above for the C's names, as is the place name 'Neormm' (although the ending is highly marked) mentioned in the session on 4/29/95.

shijing said:
Just a quick note that 'Ormethion', the name of the thought center that created the Lizards (10/18/94) is consistent with the structural principles described above for the C's names, as is the place name 'Neormm' (although the ending is highly marked) mentioned in the session on 4/29/95.

Ormethion - interesting that it contains the word Orion, which has links to "origin" linguistically that have been explicitly pointed out by the C's. And they use the name for the thought center that created the Lizards.

970621 said:
Q: Well, I think that a HUGE key is in the tracking of the
languages...
A: The roots of all languages are identical...
Q: What do you mean?
A: Your origin.
Q: You mean Atlantis?
A: Is that your origin?
Q: You mean Orion?
A: Interesting the word root similarity, yes?

Q: Well, the word root similarities of a LOT of things are
VERY interesting! It is AMAZING the things I have
discovered by tracking word roots...
A: The architects of your languages left clues aplenty. And,
you have the rare opportunity to learn far more of this by
being taught to speak and understand other languages. WE
suggest you work to penetrate the STS implanted resistance
in this area.

shijing said:
Note that there is only one name that is recognizable in English: Poinsettia (Corsoca is mentioned as a name taken from a piece of literature: see Luthien's post below). Another word, Fortunaea, seems like it could be a possible name, although it isn't actually as far as I can tell.

Fortunaea is pretty close to Fortuna - the goddess of fortune, or luck, in Roman mythology.

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortuna

I don't know if this has anything to do with all of this, but thought I put it in here just in case.

2-23-02 said:
Q: (L) Hello.
A: Yes. Hello.
Q: (L) And who do we have with us this evening?
A: Fiilia.
Q: (L) And where do you transmit through?
A: Yes. Cassiopaea.
Q: (L) They're not use to having so many people.
Alright who wants to start off? (group silence) Well
then I'll start off! Did you have a question? (B) Is there
any correlation to the names ending in "A" or sounding
like "A" that has been discussed on the list?
(L)
Correlation to what? (B) The veracity of the source.
(L) Ah!
A: Close, generates frequency.
Q: (B) Is the lack of that an indicator of anything?
A: Can be indicative of fractured energy.
Q: (V) Huh. (B) One of the people on the list had
made an indication that the sessions that had seemed
most accurate were delivered from a "name" that either
end in an "A" or ended in a combination of vowels that
had an "A" sound in the English language. At the same
time, some of the sessions that seemed a bit off,
including a consideration of Frank's involvement didn't
have that.

fwiw

Well isn't that something, NE! The excerpt you quote had gone right past me, but it seems like could be a really interesting thing to look into. It would be pretty easy to categorize the names accordingly, the more involved part would be inspecting the individual sessions. Hmmmm....

Back
Top Bottom