Wildlife and Natural Photography Pics

987baz said:
some really nice pics there Yas :D are you shooting on a DSLR camera or just a point and shoot?

I'm using one of those mirrorless cameras. I don't know much about the technical properties but it seems to be a very good camera with full manual control. So far, it's very good!

I took some other pics yesterday :)

Attachments

• PC310023sm.jpg
    PC310023sm.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 154
  • PC310041sm.jpg
    PC310041sm.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 152
  • PC310043sm.jpg
    PC310043sm.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 149
  • PC310049sm.jpg
    PC310049sm.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 146
  • PC310096sm.jpg
    PC310096sm.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 8
  • PC310011sm.jpg
    PC310011sm.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 156
I'm using one of those mirrorless cameras. I don't know much about the technical properties but it seems to be a very good camera with full manual control. So far, it's very good!

I took some other pics yesterday :)

yeah the mirrorless cameras are pretty good, manual control is a must IMO, that way you can use the camera the way you want and craft the image to your liking. If you can put different lenses on it even better!! I find one of the best things about the mirrorless is their size and weight, much easier to carry with you than my giant DSLR. Happy snapping, looking forward to seeing more of your work :D

like the kitty pics :) looks like a little lion! and the butterfly is cool too!

I've been inspired to go through all my old work (over 20,000 pics) and find some more nature based images, I think I need to get back out there and take some more, so thanks everyone for your inspiration :) Here are a few I had forgotten about.

Attachments

• dsss-1.jpg
    dsss-1.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 10
  • cwf-1.jpg
    cwf-1.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 9
  • csr-1.jpg
    csr-1.jpg
    531.9 KB · Views: 7
  • cbtr-1.jpg
    cbtr-1.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 8
  • cbrnch-1.jpg
    cbrnch-1.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 8
Thanks Yas and 987baz for sharing the cool pics :)

987baz, the posted pics seem to have a very artistic "touch" to it. May I know what software you use for processing the RAW files ? I normally use Lightroom.

I'm inspired as well to post a few more pics - will go through more of my archived pics, and look to post soon :)

Mr.Cyan said:
Thanks Yas and 987baz for sharing the cool pics :)

987baz, the posted pics seem to have a very artistic "touch" to it. May I know what software you use for processing the RAW files ? I normally use Lightroom.

I'm inspired as well to post a few more pics - will go through more of my archived pics, and look to post soon :)

Thanks My Cyan, yeah I use Lightroom too, some of the pics I also use Photoshop, when I need to add some extra layering. I also used to shoot a lot of HDR (3 bracket) pics so there's more dynamic range to play with, obviously it works better with a tripod and landscape stuff, but you can also use the raw processing of Lightroom to make duplicates and bump the extra shots up a stop and down a stop, then process them as HDR which also works quite well :)

I have made a heap of presets for Lightroom so it's easier to just drop them on then fine tune. Happy to send you some to play with if you like?

I look forward to seeing more of your pics!!

987baz said:
Thanks My Cyan, yeah I use Lightroom too, some of the pics I also use Photoshop, when I need to add some extra layering. I also used to shoot a lot of HDR (3 bracket) pics so there's more dynamic range to play with, obviously it works better with a tripod and landscape stuff, but you can also use the raw processing of Lightroom to make duplicates and bump the extra shots up a stop and down a stop, then process them as HDR which also works quite well :)

I have made a heap of presets for Lightroom so it's easier to just drop them on then fine tune. Happy to send you some to play with if you like?

I look forward to seeing more of your pics!!

Thanks 987baz for the info - I've never really done bracketing before, but i know lots of photographers who have tried it. My preference for wildlife photography is to utilise natural light, settings, and taking action shots of animals with (hopefully) good composition - just the simple and sweet method :)

About the presets, sure i would be interested to try them, and ill PM you my email add.

Attached a just a few more pics to share with the Forum. Still going through my pics from the last 5 years.

Attachments

• African Green Pigeon 1.jpg
    African Green Pigeon 1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • Egyptian Goose 1.jpg
    Egyptian Goose 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • Zebra 1.jpg
    Zebra 1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • Vultures 2.jpg
    Vultures 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • SG Little Spiderhunter 2.jpg
    SG Little Spiderhunter 2.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 2
  • SG Little Spiderhunter 1.jpg
    SG Little Spiderhunter 1.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Giraffe 2.jpg
    Giraffe 2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
  • Blesbok 1.jpg
    Blesbok 1.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 3
  • African Jacana 1.jpg
    African Jacana 1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
A few more...

Attachments

• Red Faced Prinia 1.jpg
    Red Faced Prinia 1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • SG Straw headed bulbul 1.jpg
    SG Straw headed bulbul 1.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 10
  • White Fronted Beeeater 1.jpg
    White Fronted Beeeater 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • Giraffe 1.jpg
    Giraffe 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • Pied Kingfisher Kruger 1.jpg
    Pied Kingfisher Kruger 1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
Thanks 987baz for the info - I've never really done bracketing before, but i know lots of photographers who have tried it. My preference for wildlife photography is to utilise natural light, settings, and taking action shots of animals with (hopefully) good composition - just the simple and sweet method :)

About the presets, sure i would be interested to try them, and ill PM you my email add.

Attached a just a few more pics to share with the Forum. Still going through my pics from the last 5 years.

Yeah everyone has there own style, your natural style is IMO much more "realistic" where as my pics tend to be more hyperreal. I really like this latest set, some really wonderful pics in there. You must have done a fair bit of traveling to get such a diverse range of animals! thanks for sharing :)

Hi! I'll share a few more pictures! :D

I don't know if an eclipse counts as "wildlife" but it's nature hehe, so I'll put a picture of the solar eclipse on February, 26th. :lol:

Edit: added "solar" to eclipse. hehe

Managed to spend some time photographing wildlife in Hokkaido, northern Japan earlier this year in winter.

The iconic red-crowned crane live up to its expectations. I have been birdwatching for a few years now, but have never felt such "inner calm" when watching a bird. It felt really "contented" and at times even "happiness" watching the cranes dancing in the snow - almost like an "instant" connection with Mother Earth......

Attached an except from Wikipedia describing the significance of the crane in East Asian mythology

China

In China, the red-crowned crane is often featured in myths and legends. In Taoism, the red-crowned crane is a symbol of longevity and immortality. In art and literature, immortals are often depicted riding on cranes. A mortal who attains immortality is similarly carried off by a crane. Reflecting this association, red-crowned cranes are called xian he (traditional Chinese: 仙鶴; simplified Chinese: 仙鹤; pinyin: xiānhè; literally: "fairy crane" or "crane of the immortals""). The red-crowned crane is also a symbol of nobility. Depictions of the crane have been found in Shang Dynasty tombs and Zhou Dynasty ceremonial bronzeware. A common theme in later Chinese art is the reclusive scholar who cultivates bamboo and keeps cranes. Some literati even reared cranes and trained them to dance to guqin music.

Because of its importance in Chinese culture, the red-crowned crane was selected by the National Forestry Bureau of the People's Republic of China as a candidate for the title of national animal of China. This decision was deferred due to the red-crowned crane's Latin name translation as "Japanese crane".

Japan

In Japan, this crane is known as the tanchōzuru and is said to live for 1,000 years. A pair of red-crowned cranes was used in the design for the Series D 1000-yen note (reverse side). In the Ainu language, the red-crowned crane is known as sarurun kamuy or marsh kamuy. At Tsurui, they are one of the 100 Soundscapes of Japan. Cranes are said to grant favours in return for acts of sacrifice, as in Tsuru no Ongaeshi ("crane's return of a favor").

Given its reputation, Jerry Huff, an American branding expert, recommended it as the international logo of Japan Airlines, after seeing a representation of it in a gallery of samurai crests. Huff wrote “I had faith that it was the perfect symbol for Japan Air Lines. I found that the crane myth was all positive—it mates for life (loyalty), and flies high for miles without tiring (strength).”[31]

Korea

In Korea, the red-crowned crane is called durumi and it is considered a symbol of longevity, purity, and peace. Korean seonbis regarded the bird as an icon of their constancy. The red-crowned crane is depicted on the in Korean 500-won coin and is the symbol of Incheon.

Attachments

• Ballerina 1.jpg
    Ballerina 1.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Ballerina 2.jpg
    Ballerina 2.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Blizzarding Kussharo.jpg
    Blizzarding Kussharo.jpg
    479.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Crane 1.jpg
    Crane 1.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Crane 2.jpg
    Crane 2.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 12
  • Crane 3.jpg
    Crane 3.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 12
more pics...

Attachments

• Crane 4.jpg
    Crane 4.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Fox 2.jpg
    Fox 2.jpg
    457.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Fox 1.jpg
    Fox 1.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Crane 6.jpg
    Crane 6.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Crane 5.jpg
    Crane 5.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 10
last batch of pics...

Attachments

• Its my  Fish !.jpg
    Its my Fish !.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Stellers Eagle.jpg
    Stellers Eagle.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 20
  • The Walk of the Sika.jpg
    The Walk of the Sika.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 22
  • White Tailed.jpg
    White Tailed.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 20
I agree with 987baz, these photos are absolutely stunning Mr.Cyan! Thank you for the Wikipedia excerpt with additional cultural information about the crane. I learned something new!

Mr.Cyan said:
(...) The iconic red-crowned crane live up to its expectations. I have been birdwatching for a few years now, but have never felt such "inner calm" when watching a bird. It felt really "contented" and at times even "happiness" watching the cranes dancing in the snow - almost like an "instant" connection with Mother Earth...... (...)

It's interesting Mr.Cyan because it feels like some of that emotion almost "shines through" the photos. It must have been much more intense in person!

The crane photos are gorgeous, my favourite ones are the ones that kind of look black-and-white in the snowy scenery with the only exception being the red feathers on the cranes' heads.

I went through this entire thread over my breakfast this morning and it's full of really stunning photos! 987baz's photos in this post are gorgeous too, I love the ones titled "Wish", "Butterfly" and "Cactus". Colours in these photos are absolutely stunning!

Yas's photos here are gorgeous as well, I love the "little_bug" and "dandelion"!

I'm a complete softie when it comes to all animals so I really enjoyed every single kitten, piglet, horse or squirrel, like the one in liffy's post here. Or Mr.Cyan's little fox licking snow :love:

My grandparents had a farm when I was little so I just couldn't help but go 'awwww' looking at these.

There are plenty of really good photos of the sky in different combinations too. I love the colours here or here. Or Mr.Cyan's photo "The Walk of the Sika".

I've also noticed that cat photos on average have gotten more clicks than other images :lol: These cuties have been particularly popular :)

I think I'll stop there cause otherwise I'll end up linking the entire thread to this post - but thank you for sharing everyone! :thup: It just goes to show that not everyone with a camera is a photographer, I'm sure I myself would not be able to take such stunning photos and capture colours so well.

Back
Top Bottom