Which romantic songs do you like?

IronFloyd

Jedi Master
FOTCM Member
Despite the fact that lately I'm not listening to much music, sometimes I take the time to listen some of these songs that are often classified as "guilty pleasure" as call it here where I live, but they have something very beautiful, and that is the encounter or the longing for the soul mate, deep down, of the spiritual search. 💞

I liked this song, and I like it a lot since I heard it in my adolescence:
The Bangles; "Eternal flame".

And this one that everyone surely knows is "Katiusha", from 1938, composed by Matvéi Blánter and the lyrics were written by Mikhail Isakovsky, and which is almost the second Russian anthem. I understand that it's inspired by a love letter written by a girl with that name (Katyusha), and that she dedicated it to her absent love, a russian soldier in World War II.

I liked this song, and I like it a lot since I heard it in my adolescence:
Maybe because you mention your adolescence, it brings back this memory of mine:
I was around 12 at that time. On open markets there was a guy selling compilation of songs on cassette tapes. They where called Top 12 or something. I learned later that they where cover versions.

One of the song I had repeatedly listen to and learned to sing was La Gitane by Félix Gray - 1987. link

One teacher one day asked the classroom if anyone new a song and I went on to sing this song which permitted the other children to have a laugh, a little bit to my expanse. Interesting experience.

That is more one I liked than one I like, though.

#1. I always was a hopeless romantic.

#2. I have almost always despised romantic songs.

(Ironic, I know. I have my contradictory reasons: To avoid feeling my emotions but also to avoid manipulation - then again, it is an automatic reaction with even deeper roots)

That said, in this life, after 35 years of avoidance, I embraced giving my heart to a geeky, vibrant, immature Polish cutie with a big heart and smiling, hopeful eyes... Probably a Disney imprint! LOL!! (From Fantasia - saw it when I was 5 or 6 on the big screen)

1690573227486.png

So many romantic songs are expressing utterly dysfunctional relationships, especially these days.
The older ones are better and also reflect a very different social milieux. Torch songs...Billie Holliday, etc.
Romantic songs are, of necessity, idealized, I think. They sidestep the day-to-day mundane vicissitudes.
But the songs that do factor in realism, complexity and experience, then... well, they are no longer romantic! They become more an awkward pathetic bummer to endure! Ultimately, hope springs eternal even after the confirmation of a jaded outlook. I would rather live it and feel it myself rather than listen to someone else's idea of it. Color me an abnormal weirdo, then, I guess. and give me bonus points for, once again, saying more than you wanted to hear! But, it does all relate to the thread title.

This is kind of an interesting topic because songs invoke in us such strong feelings and working through the challenges of these feelings is the purpose of the romantic reading project. Perhaps some songs are relatable to some of these stories. I’ll need to think a bit more in this…

Maybe because you mention your adolescence, it brings back this memory of mine:
I was around 12 at that time. On open markets there was a guy selling compilation of songs on cassette tapes. They where called Top 12 or something. I learned later that they where cover versions.

One of the song I had repeatedly listen to and learned to sing was La Gitane by Félix Gray - 1987. link

One teacher one day asked the classroom if anyone new a song and I went on to sing this song which permitted the other children to have a laugh, a little bit to my expanse. Interesting experience.

That is more one I liked than one I like, though.
Good song, I didn't know it, thanks for sharing @Goemon_

Conserning the adolescence, I think that at that age precisely (around 12 or 13 years old) I had a group of friends from the neighborhood. From time to time parties were held at someone's house, whether for a birthday or just because, and we played "blues" or "lentos" which were romantic songs to dance "chick to chick".

Among them I remember "Careless whisper" by Wham, "Against all odds (Take a look at me now)" by Phil Collins and one called "Honestly" by a group called Stryper, and that we also danced romantically, until someone told us that It wasn't a romantic song, but a christian praise dedicated to God or something like that.

It was funny because after that, when the song started to play, some didn't dance it, because the song wasn't about romantic love, so every time that I danced it, that was something very "ad hoc" because in generally the next day I had to go to church. :-D

AZALEA FLOWER
Jorge Negrete

the song lasts 3.05 min.

Like foam that inert carries the mighty river
Azalea flower, life swept you away in its avalanche
But by saving you, you were able to find protection and shelter
Where to heal your heart wounded by pain
Your smile reflects the passage of black hours
Your look, the most bitter despair
Today forever I want you to forget your past sorrows
And that your heart only has serene hours
I would like to be the swallow that at dawn