What's the weather where you are?

A little addition
Stockholm, Sweden, 15 July 2022 @ 18:30

The temperature at our main airport, Stockholm-Arlanda, has just fallen to a mere 9.5°C (48.2°) Now that is really cold, I would say. Here in the median distant southern suburbs, it is raining cats and dogs (temporarily), and the temperatures fell to 14°C (57.2°F). I think i am going put on my thick autumn leather jacket for work tonight. :whistle:

_-2022-07-15-at-18.42.44.jpg

A heat wave is forecast across much of Europe and the UK has issued severe warnings. Where I am, Northern England, is forecast currently to reach 37 degrees Celsius by Tuesday. I have never experienced temperatures like this where I live. The South may reach 40 degrees. This country is simply not prepared for heat like this, schools will close, railway speed limits are planned and power companies expect disruption.

I'm sure this is not news to UK members but please take care!

Seems like we’re stuck in a permanent heatwave since late spring. Small gardens are cooked, and yards are dead with wild fires here and there. Must be a nightmare for cattle and other farm animals that are stuck outside.
Oh boy, I also read that this heatwave will cause sever strain on the electrical grid... which means air conditioner will become difficult to keep on. I've also read that "La Niña" is partly to blame for the unusually high temperatures in the Northern hemisphere.

Stay hydrated and in the shade as much as possible. And for the record, those high temperatures would translate to about 49 degrees C.

Just moved to northern Louisiana. Just about sharing the same weather as Texas. The whole time I’ve been here and it has only rained once. Plants are getting cooked (and so am I). It’s been average 100 every day (I think around 42C) I can’t help but think about all the moisture on our lands and ocean evaporating, floating above us and going…north… I mean, just look at Yellowstone…jeeze. There are storms too that just pass above us but never drop any rain. Too hot to condense is my guess. WELL…. That’s better than future glaciers I guess.

In the area where I am located (Melbourne, Florida) have most of the day with a chance of thunderstorms and thunder but no rain, even today for most of the day the temperature barely reached 30 degrees Celsius and then dropped to 24.
293356078_458707429061481_4779038127049789781_n.jpeg

293686258_1703454313349424_3855549196053056219_n.jpeg
293282649_598184531657338_850999887608766134_n.jpeg
*the colors are approximate, quite close, but could vary in intensity, because they are taken from a cell phone.

Stockholm, Sweden
19 July 2022

Noctilucent Clouds ☁️

And while there have been plenty (and beautiful) images of noctilucent clouds [posted by people at Spaceweather.com] - most of them came from lower latitudes (in comparison to Stockholm). While up here, I had only seen a few here and there, but nothing really worth writing home about.

Until last midnight as I went home - while looking towards the north horizon... it looked so much brighter than usual ! Like a false dawn. After all, midnight is quite a bit darker now, one month after summer solstice. But all of the sudden i had the feeling of being back to the light levels of summer solstice around midnight.

It wasn't until I reached home, getting out of the glare from street lights - I could really see how bright and beautiful the noctilucent clouds where. They didn't have any spectacular radiating patterns (like the images I posted 1 year ago, 21 July 2021), but it was the combination of brightness with small, undulating details, which felt startling to watch.

2022-07-19-00-28-14-Noctilucent-Clouds,-Stockholm.jpg

2022-07-19-00-29-52-Noctilucent-Clouds,-Stockholm.jpg

2022-07-19-00-32-21-Noctilucent-Clouds,-Stockholm.jpg

2022-07-19-00-32-35-Noctilucent-Clouds,-Stockholm.jpg

2022-07-19-01-17-24-Noctilucent-Clouds,-Stockholm.jpg

The Netherlands is experiencing a short heatwave at the moment. It started yesterday and will probably expire tomorrow afternoon or early evening with rain and thunder. Today was the hottest 19th of July ever measured with 39.5° C. in Maastricht, an absolute record. The previous record was in 2006 in Westdorpe with 37.1° Celsius and -curiously- this little village/hamlet was also the hottest place yesterday with 35.4° C. The heatwave isn't locally generated but imported from the South of Europe where it has been very hot much longer.

All other details here:
First official "tropical" day of the year
First tropical night in Vlissingen; Highest temp measured in Westdorpe yesterday
Temps up to 40 expected in Netherlands today: Code Orange
Hot hot hot: Thermometers top 30 in most of Netherlands, some hitting 35
Record-breaking 39.5 degrees in Maastricht, as asphalt reaches 52 degrees; People flock to the movies
Climate change making hot days even hotter: KNMI

Heatwave in NL: smog alarm and die-hard four day marchers - DutchNews.nl

Stockholm, Sweden
20 July 2022

Nothing dramatic to write home about from Stockholm itself, which showed a temperature just a bit over 29°C (85°F) in the city center. While where I live in south of the city, we had rather pleasant 26.5°C (79.7°).

On a personal note: Yeah, I'll leave my leatherjacket at home tonight when going to work :lol: (referring to very cold nights we had just a couple days ago. That stupid jacket by the way, as beautiful and tough it looks, showed to have nickel buttons: so my hands looked nasty; as if hit by aggressive "monkey pox" rashes all over, after work in the morning. I glued those buttons over with tape - tadaaa... problem solved. It usually does the trick with nickel buttons :whistle: ).

Back to temperatures: Higher ones were registered inland, like in Eskilstuna to the west (of Sthlm), where it reached 32.2°C. If we move towards the southeast of Sweden - it get's more unusual: In the town of Målilla, the temperature reached a whopping 35.3°C (95.54°F) at around 17:00, which was quite late during the day.

_-2022-07-20-at-20.49.24.jpg

That is a pretty high, relatively unusual - but I have no references at hand to check - I mean - if we reached temperatures above 35°C during the past 4 decades (somewhere in the country) ? Perhaps it happened during the highly exotic July 1994 somewhere in Sweden, where it already had hit 34°C in Stockholm. Or, I would have to go all the way back to the hot second part of summer 1975 in order to find higher temperatures: up to 36.8°C measured on 9 Aug 1975 in Holma.

Tomorrow - the Peak

The prognosis tomorrow calls for the peak of this short but intense heat; with 33°C in Stockholm, and possibly above 35°C somewhere in the southeast region again. Will we reach or break the all-time record in Sweden ? That would require a whopping 38.0°C (100.4°F) measured in Ultuna in on 9 July 1933, and Målilla on 29 June 1947, also with 38.0°C.

I just hope they don't tinker around with the numbers, just to make our wicked times even more dramatic. You know, like in Star Wars "I have a baaad feeling about this..." Because... (Oh, that temptation in the wicked, right ?) :umm:

Note: Germany hot - but also very dry air

The temperatures over Europe, which peaked over Germany today, somewhere in the region of 38°C, perhaps 39°C (I have no exact numbers over which station registered the highest of them all) - but noticed that the air was VERY DRY over Middle and East Germany: at times down to a mere 10-15%.

Stockholm, Sweden
21 July 2022

Well, Sweden did not get a new all time high temperature record today (meaning; it didn't reach 38.0°C / 100.4°F) - but it came up pretty high in Målilla with a fascinating 36.6°C / 97.34°F. [preliminary]; which makes it one of the highest temperatures ever measured in Sweden.

Also Stockholm went pretty high with 34.0°C / 93.2°F in the city center, and somewhere around 32°C where I live - which in the shadows felt comfortable. So; Stockholm was hotter than Sicily. Who would have thought... ;-)

_-2022-07-21-at-19.21.08.jpg

Very dry air

The humidity has been noticeably low in the area with the highest temperatures (SE Sweden) down to just 18% today. (While yesterday in the same area they reached 35-40%)

The low humidity of this hot airmass could explain the lack of thunderstorm clouds popping up during the past days - because there just wasn't enough humidity for them to unfold (except a few along fronts). Speaking of cold fronts; the southern one over Germany-Poland looks rather skinny.

SATELLITE.jpg

As of now in the evening

the sky is almost clear. Correction; a flurry of clouds have emerged in the haze at the NW-N horizon, I just realize. That is the upper front over Europe you can see in the satellite chart above; which is a mix between warm & cold front, basically stationary (albeit the clouds within that front are moving fast towards NE).

It also appears, that it is starting to get more active, e.g. with rain and T-storms forming along two thin streaks.

_-2022-07-21-at-20.23.49.jpg

Additional weather info
21 July 2022

The Swedish Weather Service SMHI has come out with the official finals of today's MAX temperatures, which are a notch higher, and writes following:

37.2°C

The heat has peaked today in southern Sweden with around 35°C in several places. The highest temperature was reached in Målilla with 37.2 °C (98.6°F). Not a Swedish record, but the highest temperature recorded in Sweden since 1947.

Some station records:

36.9°C
highest temperature since the start in Linköping/Malmslätt.
35.6°C highest temperature since the start in Norrköping.
35.3°C highest temperature since the start in Jönköping.
35.5°C degrees highest temperature since the start in Gladhammar/Västervik.

Back
Top Bottom