What is Your Personal Antiviral Protocol?

I rarely get sick but did come down just a little recently (and when I do get sick, it lasts forever, so I'm not the best responder). I remember thinking that what I actually needed, but didn't have, was some sort of antacid at the earliest stage.

Instead I had to use ivermectin and vitamin c. I don't have a foolproof protocol; my symptoms always come and go for about a month, probably old viruses exploiting new vulnerabilities. Oily and fatty foods seem to worsen symptoms for me, which was inconvenient due to that being pretty much all I had in stock. I did get cauliflower at some point, though.

I had a flu with mild progression into pneumonia last month and I used what I normally do:
Full spectrum multivitamin plus high dose C, D, zinc, magnesium, NAC, milk thistle and goldenseal. Oregano oil as antibiotic (3-5 times a day) and strong black tea with a table spoon of homemade raspberry jam dissolved (family remedy) as fever reliever. Also, don’t forget the benefits of a hearty chicken soup and drinking lots of water 😊

Thank you for starting this thread and your comments.

If there are cold symptoms, different things prove well at different times for me too. I did have quite persistent symptoms over the last few months, and what has helped me most during this time is a homeopathic remedy called "Metavirulent" (drops). It had been a recommendation by my family doctor originally. 10 drops have to be given on the tongue every half an hour, every hour or every other hour, depending of the strength of the symptoms - that's what I eventually came down to working for me after following the instruction leaflet and the recommendation from a pharmacy where I bought the drops. For those interested, here is a list of the ingredients and against which symptoms they act in particular.

Sometimes I took another homeopathic remedy (Lymphdiaral, for which I haven't found information available in English thus far) for compensatory treatment of the lymphatic system. It contains goldenseal, echinacea, calendula and other ingredients.

What helped me too to actually press the symptoms down (as it is currently) was taking following supplements on a regular basis: Zinc once or twice per day (30 mg per capsule), vitamin D3 (5.000) drops (combined with K2), magnesium (combination of 7 forms in one capsule), selenium (combination of several forms in a tablet) and vitamin C (liposomal) 4000 mg, as well as a general vitamine juice (multi vitamins). As for eating, I had bone broth (from marrow bones) several times, sprinkled with moringa (which is said to have a much higher nutrition profile than a host of other types of food) and was careful to provide myself with more substantial foods while drinking much more than normal (e.g. teas containing ginger) as well. And then trying to go to bed earlier than usual to catch more quality sleep.

Edited: Typos

Last edited:
Yes! It is a very extreme rarity that I get a cold sore, but L-Lysine does seem to work to stop it, and is widely recommended for that. It's one of the 50 supplements I keep at home. I also mentioned on the Hyperbaric Chamber thread that using HBOT seems to have have stopped me from feeling vulnerable to colds in the October time frame when the temperature changes rapidly. That feeling was annual for years but is now gone since I've had the chamber.

he has been consuming raw garlic in the mornings, and he has never had even a slight cold
Correlation is not causation, of course, but @mkrnhr did say raw garlic works for him and I have seen this recommended before.

mouthwashes (and inhalations) of hydrogen peroxide

I actually keep forgetting that I have a nebulizer and have used H2O2 in it before but did not experience solid results. Because my protocol works for me, I just don't think about it, but perhaps should, as yet another tool.

I should mention that I typically also make a special point, if I feel a virus coming on, of taking iodine, Lugol's Solution, though I do use it fairly regularly anyway. Again, as Laura said, "nuke it." Just pile on everything that you know won't hurt you.

Thank you for starting this thread and your comments.

Just forgot to add the following to my previous post: What also has been proving helpful so far when cold symptoms approached or got stronger was warming up some elderberry juice (not cooking it, for preserving the valuable ingredients), filling it into a cup, sweetening it with 1/2 tsp (or more) of ginger honey (getting this from an organic store) and then drinking it. Sometimes I use 100 ml (3.5 oz) of chokeberry juice instead.

Have propolis drops available on my bedstand, and if the throat starts getting sore I put some into my mouth. This helped mostly with the infections from the last winter, and to some extent with the recent ones.

Sometimes use Japanese herbal oil (mint oil), by putting a few drops of it in a glass of warm water and drinking it down. It soothes a sore throat.

Such an informative thread! If I feel something coming on, my go-to protocol will be; 4 d3 tablets, 1 cranberry tablet, 2 multivitamin tablets and 2 oil of evening primrose capsules, plenty of water and I replace my usual tea with green tea. I haven't had a cold for a year and a half (touch wood!) So far, I haven't needed anything else, so I'm sticking with it!

I take Ivermectin once a week and if I feel a virus beginning, I use Hydroxychloroquine, zinc lozenges and extra D-3. I always have Lugal's available as well. Goldenseal sounds like an interesting option. Some things on your list, PopHistorian, I don't recognize.

Usually, chamomile with lemon, lots of water, loratadine, Vitamin C, Ibuprofen, cetirizine, rest and cold water towels and compresses depending on the presence of fever.

In my personal case, cold water bath, chamomile with lemon (rarely), rarely sunbathing because I don't like lying in bed unless I have a lot of body pain, Ibuprofen if the headache is strong, but sleeping a full cycle of sleep is more restful for me. If there is no headache and only mild discomfort of body pain, I just sleep and drink a lot of water.

Ibuprofen if the headache is strong

A Reuters article opened with the following stunning sentence:

a"Long-term high-dose use of painkillers such as ibuprofen or diclofenac is 'equally hazardous' in terms of heart attack risk as use of tahe drug Vioxx, which was withdrawn due to its potential dangers, researchers said."
INFLAMED: Our Default Bodily State

Why are so many folks taking NSAID drugs like ibuprofen anyway?

Pain and unhealthy levels of inflammation are fast becoming default bodily states in the industrialized world. While in most cases we can adjust the underlying pro-inflammatory conditions by altering our diet, and reducing stress and environmental chemical exposures, these approaches take time, discipline and energy, and sometimes we just want the pain to stop now. In those often compulsive moments we find ourselves popping an over-the-counter pill to kill the pain.
The problem with this approach is that, if we do it often enough, we may kill ourselves along with the pain.

a"Long-term high-dose use of painkillers such as ibuprofen or diclofenac is 'equally hazardous' in terms of heart attack risk as use of tahe drug Vioxx, which was withdrawn due to its potential dangers, researchers said."
(Article by Sayer Ji republished from GreenMedInfo.com)

The 2004 Vioxx recall, as you may remember, was spurred by the nearly 30,000 excess cases of heart attacks and sudden cardiac deaths caused by the drug between 1999-2003. Despite the fact that scientific research had accumulated as early as 2000 linking Vioxx to increased heart attacks and strokes, the drug's manufacturer Merck, and the FDA, remained silent as the death toll steadily increased.

The Reuters report focused on new research published in Lancet indicating the risk of heart attack increases as much as a third and the risk of heart failure doubles among heavier users of NSAID drugs.

INFLAMED: Our Default Bodily State

Pain and unhealthy levels of inflammation are fast becoming default bodily states in the industrialized world. While in most cases we can adjust the underlying pro-inflammatory conditions by altering our diet, and reducing stress and environmental chemical exposures, these approaches take time, discipline and energy, and sometimes we just want the pain to stop now. In those often compulsive moments we find ourselves popping an over-the-counter pill to kill the pain.

The problem with this approach is that, if we do it often enough, we may kill ourselves along with the pain...

Brighteon.TV

Ibuprofen really is a perfect example of this. As mentioned above, this petrochemical-derivative has been linked to significantly increased risk of heart attack and increased cardiac and all-cause mortality (when combined with aspirin), with over two dozen serious adverse health effects, including:
  1. Anemia.
  2. Anemia[1]
  3. Hearing Loss.
  4. DNA Damage[2]
  5. Influenza Mortality.
  6. Hearing Loss[3]
    Ibuprofen is, in fact, not unique in elevating cardiovascular disease risk and/or mortality. The entire category of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) appears to have this under-recognized dark side; cardiovascular disease and cardiac mortality score highest on the list of over 100 unintended adverse health effects associated with their use. See also our analysis of the rarely acknowledged dark side to aspirin: The Evidence Against Aspirin And For Natural Alternatives.
So, what does one do? Pain is pain. Whether it happens to you, or you witness it in another (which can be worse), finding relief is a top priority.
Here is some evidence-based research on alternatives to ibuprofen, sourced from the National Library of Medicine:

Research on Natural Alternatives To Ibuprofen
Here is some evidence-based research on alternatives to ibuprofen, sourced from the National Library of Medicine:

1. Ginger - A 2009 study found that ginger capsules (250 mg, four times daily) were as effective as the drugs mefenamic acid and ibuprofen for relieving pain in women associated with their menstrual cycle (primary dysmenorrhea). [7]
  2. Topical Arnica - A 2007 human study found that topical treatment with arnica was as effective as ibuprofen for hand osteoarthritis, but with lower incidence of side effects.[8]
  3. Combination: Astaxanthin, Ginkgo biloba and Vitamin C - A 2011 animal study found this combination to be equal to or better than ibuprofen for reducing asthma-associated respiratory inflammation.[9]
  4. Chinese Skullcap (baicalin) - A 2003 animal study found that a compound in Chinese skullcap known as baicalin was equipotent to ibuprofen in reducing pain.[10]
  5. Omega-3 fatty acids: A 2006 human study found that omega-3 fatty acids (between 1200-2400 mg daily) were as effective as ibuprofen in reducing arthritis pain, but with the added benefit of having less side effects.[11]
  6. Panax Ginseng - A 2008 animal study found that panax ginseng had analgesic and anti-inflammatory activity similar to ibuprofen, indicating its possible anti-rheumatoid arthritis properties.[12]
  7. St. John's Wort - A 2004 animal study found that St. John's wort was twice as effective as ibuprofen as a pain-killer.[13]
  8. Anthocyanins from Sweet Cherries & Raspberries - A 2001 study cell study found that anthocyanins extracted from raspberries and sweet cherries were as effective as ibuprofen and naproxen at suppressing the inflammation-associated enzyme known as cyclooxygenase-1 and 2.[14]
  9. Holy Basil - A 2000 study found that holy basil contains compounds with anti-inflammatory activity comparable to ibuprofen, naproxen and aspirin.[15]
  10. Olive Oil (oleocanthal) - a compound found within olive oil known as oleocanthal has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties similar to ibuprofen.
There are, of course, hundreds of additional substances which have been studied for their pain-killing and/or anti-inflammatory effects, and there are also aromatherapeutic approaches that do not require the ingestion of anything at all, but there is also a danger here. When we think of taking an alternative pain-killer to ibuprofen, we are still thinking within the palliative, allopathic medical model: suppress the symptom, and go on about our business. It would behoove us to look deeper into what is causing our pain. And when possible, remove the cause(s). And that often requires a dramatic dietary shift away from pro-inflammatory foods, many of which most Westerners still consider absolutely delightful, e.g. wheat, dairy, nighshade vegetables and even wheat-free grains, etc.

The problem with this approach is that, if we do it often enough, we may kill ourselves along with the pain.

We have certainly been taking it more often, just a few hours ago I arrived from the clinic with my mother who is sick again, now she has dengue and a bad headache that comes and goes and the Ibuprofen started to draw my attention to something that I had read was dangerous and just in time you send me the information. The prayers have arrived, thank you very much! 🙏

Ibuprofen really is a perfect example of this. As mentioned above, this petrochemical-derivative has been linked to significantly increased risk of heart attack and increased cardiac and all-cause mortality (when combined with aspirin), with over two dozen serious adverse health effects, including:
  1. Anemia.
  2. Anemia[1]
  3. Hearing Loss.
  4. DNA Damage[2]
  5. Influenza Mortality.
  6. Hearing Loss[3]
    Ibuprofen is, in fact, not unique in elevating cardiovascular disease risk and/or mortality. The entire category of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) appears to have this under-recognized dark side; cardiovascular disease and cardiac mortality score highest on the list of over 100 unintended adverse health effects associated with their use. See also our analysis of the rarely acknowledged dark side to aspirin: The Evidence Against Aspirin And For Natural Alternatives.
There is another take on Aspirin (Acetylsalicylic Acid and Salicylic Acid) from studies examined by Georgi Dinkov.
It seems that NSAIDs created by the pharmaceutical industry only take one portion of Salicylic Acid, and make a change so they can patent it. Salicyclic Acid has many more benefits than just pain relief, but you do have to be aware that ASA(aspirin) often come with coatings, or in a time release format, which negates a lot of the benefits of ASA. Try to find Aspirin that is not coated, i.e. 'quick release' or source Salicyclic Acid itself.

for example

NSAID drugs, except aspirin, linked to heart failure

haidut November 2, 2022 Posted in Science

Share: TwitterFacebookLinkedin

The link between NSAID usage (except aspirin) and heart attacks is not new, but I decided to still post this study due to the fact that it is the first to suggest those non-aspirin NSAID may actually damage the heart themselves rather than cause CVD events indirectly. Notably, once again, aspirin is missing from this list and this uniqueness of aspirin’s benefits was recently also seen in a COVID-19 study as well, where only aspirin did not increase mortality risk in COVID-19 patients. So, whatever aspirin does, it is beneficial for many conditions while the synthetic, selective COX inhibitors prescribed by doctors like candy have once again been proven to be dangerous.
Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs May Trigger Heart Damage
“…The current study10, presented at the European Society of Cardiology in Barcelona, Spain, demonstrated that short-term use of NSAIDs is associated with heart failure in individuals with Type 2 diabetes.11 The scientists wrote12 that a previous association had been made between NSAIDs and an increased risk of heart failure in the general population.13 14 They sought to determine if using NSAIDs with Type 2 diabetes could increase the risk of heart failure, given that people with Type 2 diabetes have twice the risk of heart failure without using NSAIDs.15 The researchers included 331,189 participants whose average age was 62 years. Those who used NSAIDs claimed to have prescriptions of ibuprofen, diclofenac, naproxen, and celecoxib.”

Aspirin lowers all-cause mortality

haidut September 7, 2023 Posted in Science

Share: TwitterFacebookLinkedin

A fascinating study, which highlights once again that there is a lot more to aspirin than “COX inhibition” (as medicine would have us believe). The study was done on ICU patients only, but I view that as an even stronger evidence in favor of aspirin, since ICU patients are in a very precarious position and even benign things such as a little extra water or the wrong type of food (if they are even able to eat by themselves) can easily kill them. Thus, a substance that has such a strong effect on decreasing all-cause mortality in ICU patients should work even better on people who are not in the ICU. Another strong point of the study was that it included ICU patients with a plethora of conditions, not just heart disease (CVD). Unfortunately, the patients were all given just a baby aspirin dose since this is the only “preventive” dose the medical protocol in ICU (or hospitals in general) allows for, so we cannot make a direct claim that higher doses would have worked even better. However, other humans studies with severe chronic conditions (e.g. multiple sclerosis) have demonstrated that 2-4 tablets of aspirin lower mortality in those patients too, and there is also a yeast study showing that the human-equivalent dose (HED) of about 1g aspirin daily increased maximum lifespan by 400%! So, there does seem to be a dose-dependent benefit for aspirin dosage and for most people the benefits for overall health and lifespan probably continue to increase up to 2-3 tablets (325mg each) daily. For those who are prone to bleeding or concerned about aspirin’s pro-bleeding effects, taking 1mg vitamin K2 (MK-4) or 100mcg MK-7 for every tablet of aspirin taken daily should negate most of those bleeding risks (which are overblown by Big Pharma to start with).
Aspirin Therapy and 28-Day Mortality in ICU Patients: A Retrospective Observational Study From Two Large Databases - PubMed

“…Study limitation include it being a retrospective analysis where not all participant characteristics are recorded. There is also no record of the rationale for administering aspirin to participants. The investigators recommend future randomized controlled trials to further study the effects of aspirin in ICU patients. “…aspirin treatment in ICU patients, particularly those with SIRS symptoms and those without sepsis, led to lower 28-day all-cause mortality,” the study authors wrote.”

from PubMed link:

Observational Study

Clin Ther

. 2023 Apr;45(4):316-332.
doi: 10.1016/j.clinthera.2023.02.005. Epub 2023 Mar 25.

Aspirin Therapy and 28-Day Mortality in ICU Patients: A Retrospective Observational Study From Two Large Databases​

Luhao Wang 1 , Bin Li 2 , Lingyun Zuo 3 , Fei Pei 3 , Yao Nie 3 , Yongjun Liu 3 , Zimeng Liu 3 , Jianfeng Wu 4 , Xiangdong Guan 3

Affiliations

Abstract​

Purpose: Aspirin is widely used in patients in the intensive care unit (ICU); nonetheless, its effects on these patients remain controversial. This retrospective analysis of data from clinical practice investigated the effects of aspirin on 28-day mortality in ICU patients.

Methods: This retrospective study included data from patients in the Medical Information Mart for Intensive Care (MIMIC)-III database and the eICU-Collaborative Research Database (CRD). Patients aged 18 to 90 years and admitted to the ICU were eligible and were assigned to one of two groups according to whether they were given aspirin during their ICU stay. Multiple imputation was used for patients with >10% missing data. Multivariate Cox models and propensity score analysis were used to estimate the association of aspirin treatment with 28-day mortality among patients admitted to the ICU.

Findings: In total, 146,191 patients were enrolled in this study, and 27,424 (18.8%) used aspirin. Aspirin treatment in ICU patients, especially in nonseptic patients, was associated with a lower 28-day all-cause mortality on multivariate Cox analysis (eICU-CRD, hazard ratio
= 0.81, [95% CI, 0.75-0.87]; MIMIC-III, HR = 0.72 [95% CI, 0.68-0.76]). Aspirin treatment was associated with lower 28-day all-cause mortality after propensity score matching (eICU-CRD, HR = 0.80 [95% CI, 0.72-0.88]; MIMIC-III, HR = 0.80 [95% CI, 0.76-0.85]). However, on subgroup analysis, aspirin therapy was not associated with a lower 28-day mortality in patients without systemic inflammatory response syndrome (SIRS) symptoms or with sepsis in either database.

Implications: Aspirin treatment during the ICU stay was associated with a significantly reduced 28-day all-cause mortality, particularly in patients with SIRS symptoms but without sepsis. In patients with sepsis and with/without SIRS symptoms, beneficial effects were not clear, or more careful patient selection is required.

Keywords: anti-inflammation; aspirin; big data; critical care.

[...]
The problem with this approach is that, if we do it often enough, we may kill ourselves along with the pain...
NSAIDS are even worse than I thought. Thought debated, it appears they may have a potential, stealth, negative impact on fertility.

Ibuprofen linked to male infertility, study says

And on women: Non‐steroidal anti‐inflammatory drugs as a possible cause for reversible infertility

And other medications, too, against men. Quite a potential attack.

Try to find Aspirin that is not coated, i.e. 'quick release'
or source Salicyclic Acid itself.
That's pretty interesting research. My doc wants me to take low dose aspirin, but the only ones available are enteric coated.

I wonder about something like this:

And I wonder how much you would need to take to match the 81mg dose.

BTW, I was in a hospital just last year telling a doc that I took aspirin for some pain and she was rather startled and told me, "Oh, we don't recommend aspirin for pain!" "No?" "No!" And she proceeded to push a high-dose ibuprofen prescription at me.
I had a nurse do the same to me a few months back...on the table in her treatment room was a folder titled WARFARIN...its prescribed quite heavily in the UK. I think in the US, Pfizer and Bristol Meyers Squibb (Blackrock/Vanguard etc) came up with a better drug than Warfarin.

Back
Top Bottom