weird incident involving my cat

knowledge_of_self

The Living Force
Ok so, sometimes late at night my cat starts running up & down the stares for no reason. She's an in-door cat so I assume it's just to entertain herself and it doesn't bother me so I let her be.

But last night, it was really late and I was watching TV and all of a sudden I hear this really loud THUMP. I figured the cat is running up & down the stares again but just to make sure I go to check what happened. I see my cat standing in front of a pool of blood and there is trails of blood all over the floor.

At that moment my heart literally skipped a beat. :cry: I was SO worried so I started to tend to her to see if she's broken anything or what was bleeding because considering she was bleeding she was acting pretty normal.

So I start to pet her very gently all over, feeling for bruises/cuts etc...
First thing I noticed was that her own nail was poked into the ridge of her nose. Which was odd, I took it out but the blood wasn't coming from there. Then, I kept feeling around but I couldn't find any sort of wound. The only thing I could tell was that her tail had a lot more blood on it, so I assumed she did something to her tail. I cleaned her up with a wet cloth- but she didn't seem to mind when I petted her on her tail or anywhere near there. Her paws are fine too. So anyway, I cleaned her up & let her be and went to sleep.

Today when I woke up she seemed fine- except her tail can't seem to straighten the way it usually does. It just kind of goes limp from the middle-down. I sat down and petted her, she didn't seem agitated and she seems like her cheery, normal self. So I don't know what to do. Should I be taking her to the vet? Vets cots at least $85 for check-up which I'd like to not pay if I don't have to, but a part of me is kind of worried. I've never seen blood come from my cat before so I don't know what to do... :/

Has anyone had anything like this happen and what is your advice?

Yes, take her to the vet - today. It sounds like she might have broken her tail, for goodness sake!

Cats purr when they are in extreme pain, as well as when they are happy - so you might be mistaking 'her happy self' for 'her terribly in pain self'.

anart said:
Yes, take her to the vet - today. It sounds like she might have broken her tail, for goodness sake!

Cats purr when they are in extreme pain, as well as when they are happy - so you might be mistaking 'her happy self' for 'her terribly in pain self'.

Absolutely... and the blood could have been from her rectum if she got her tail caught in something and pulled really hard to get it loose. She REALLY needs to see a vet!

Hey, just got home from the vet.

She had x-rays done and the tail wasn't broken. However, the doctor did see a little bit of inflammation and shaved a bit of her tail to see the spot more clearly. And there were 2 holes on there that she was bleeding from. It almost looked like bight marks- the doctor asked if we had any other animals in the house and we don't.

He ended up giving her a couple of shots, penecilin and tolfedin.

When I came home, I checked everywhere for any lose nails or anything around, and couldn't find anything. This whole situation is really weird, I can't find a reason or cause why she would have these holes on her tail. Unless she bit her self... but why would she do that? So i don't know... :/

Anyway, we're supposed to give her medicine for the next 4 days and going to get her checked out again on Tuesday morning. Hopefully she'll be better/healed by then.

I can't find a reason or cause why she would have these holes on her tail. Unless she bit her self... but why would she do that?

Dunno... good question. But if she also had done this...

First thing I noticed was that her own nail was poked into the ridge of her nose.

...then it is quite possible that she did indeed bite her own tail. Definitely mysterious. Maybe a 4D attack?

Edit: any chance the distance between the 2 holes in her tail matches the distance between her 'cainines'? (perhaps they should be called 'felines' in this case :P )

Hi,

Maybe when your cat was running through your house she whacked her tail on a door jam or a piece of furniture.

Just a thought.

I hope she is feeling OK!

Glad you took her - better safe than sorry any day. Glad her tail isn't broken, and that is very odd ...

Deedlet said:

She had x-rays done and the tail wasn't broken. However, the doctor did see a little bit of inflammation and shaved a bit of her tail to see the spot more clearly. And there were 2 holes on there that she was bleeding from. It almost looked like bight marks- the doctor asked if we had any other animals in the house and we don't.

Lauranimal said:
...then it is quite possible that she did indeed bite her own tail. Definitely mysterious. Maybe a 4D attack?

Edit: any chance the distance between the 2 holes in her tail matches the distance between her 'cainines'? (perhaps they should be called 'felines' in this case :P )

It's really hard to tell if the distance between the holes match the 2 holes of her 'cainines' but having closer looked at it, it really doesn't seem like it. I have no idea what it could be so I'm not ruling out the 4D thing, that's for sure.

Rhiannon said:
Maybe when your cat was running through your house she whacked her tail on a door jam or a piece of furniture.

I looked around all over, to find the place where she could have done this and I can't really find any so I don't know. It's a possibility of course, but I don't know...

anart said:
Glad you took her - better safe than sorry any day. Glad her tail isn't broken, and that is very odd ...

[

Absolutley! I completely agree that it's better to be safe than sorry. I'm glad we took her, because I was really afraid for her tail being broken, and I'm glad that it wasn't but the holes are still a mystery...

Anyway I gave her some medicine and some food so she's relaxed now and just chillin- I hope the holes get healed by Tuesday or sooner-

One thing I will note- last night, around the time I heard the THUMP and this happened there was a HUGE storm going on outside and she was pretty spooked. She kept cuddling real tight with me, cause she was scared of all the noises outside. I kept her company for quite a while and calmed her down before I was able to be calm enough myself to go to sleep.

I just can't help but think about the weather thing being related to 4D activity, which is interesting imo.

A couple of thoughts. The last time I saw our cat near a pool of blood, it had caught a mouse and made quite a mess with it. We only knew it was a mouse by what he vomited up a while later - parts of mouse head and innards.

Also, the cat might have been hiding under furniture, afraid of the weather, and got stuck. Upon trying to free itself, the cat might have gotten stabbed on a staple from the upholstery and bled a little. Although, it sounds like there was a considerable greater amount of blood than one would expect from a scrape or small puncture wounds. Perhaps you might find a little blood under some furniture or anywhere else you might find staples (mattresses, some cardboard boxes, etc.).

You need one of those lamps and spray solution they use on tv shows like CSI to reveal traces of blood that you normally wouldn't be able to see.

Hope things turn out OK.

Gonzo

Deedlet said:

She had x-rays done and the tail wasn't broken.

Glad kitty is gonna be ok :) :) :) :)

I once saw a young dog chase his tail, catch it, bite it hard enough to draw blood, then run screaming through the house...but never a cat. Odd.

Deedlet said:
But last night, it was really late and I was watching TV and all of a sudden I hear this really loud THUMP. I figured the cat is running up & down the stares again but just to make sure I go to check what happened. I see my cat standing in front of a pool of blood and there is trails of blood all over the floor.

At that moment my heart literally skipped a beat. :cry: I was SO worried so I started to tend to her to see if she's broken anything or what was bleeding because considering she was bleeding she was acting pretty normal.

I am glad that your cat is ok and nothing was broken.

But I do have couple of questions about her. How old is she, and if you changed her food lately. The reason I am asking is because we have a cat living with us and she is very old (don't know exactly how old, the owner say above 10 years). And almost a year ago she started to exhibit signs of neurological problems that affected her movements. We first noticed it after hearing a loud THUMP and seeing her body falling on a side when she walked up the stairs. It lasted for several seconds only, but repeated itself from time to time. She was also shaking sometimes, similar to a person who has Parkinson. Well, we didn't really know what to do (and the owner said that vet's check was ok and she might be just old) and the issue was just coming and going. The situation now is that for several months now it is completely gone. In fact, the cat seems to be much happy and active, also thanks to some catnip. ;) So one of us speculated that maybe specific type of food that was given to kittie (but discontinued for several months now), and the one she greatly disliked had a particularly strong and poisonous effect on her. It was some kind of shredded meat, while she likes pate textures (unless she was given the shredded meat even before we met her, and it's just a coincidence). That's the only reasonable idea that came to mind, others are more along evil frequencies and 4d interventions. :D

So, I am not saying that your cat might have something similar, just that the THUMP when she was on the stairs sounded familiar.

Keit said:
How old is she, and if you changed her food lately.

Hey Keit,

Luna is 10 y.o. (got her late 2000 and she was only a few weeks old) And no, I haven't changed her food lately. She's been eating the same thing for over a year now. Before then, I used to just give her dry food and she kept throwing up and had bad problems with hair-balls, and was very overweight. Even though I gave her hair-ball/weight control IAMS cat-food. So I did a bit of research on the net and found out that dry food and the brand IAMS suck! :mad:

So I started feeding her Organic wet-food, and through trying different ones, she was VERY clear about not liking the beef flavors so I never get her beef. Always chicken, turkey, or fish. She loves those - It's funny because I don't like or eat red meat much, so I find that interesting :P

After starting to feed her wet-food she lost weight, quit throwing up, and her coat became all shiny and she's so much more happy than before.

At the vets, she seemed to have a bit of a temperature, which the vet said could be due to the shock/excitement of going to the vet and also maybe due to experiencing some pain over the tail. Other than the temperature and the tail injury, nothing else was mentioned during her physical. Taking her for another check on Tuesday so hopefully she'll be ok. I think she's feeling better, though her tail is still bending- but I'm sure that's going to take a bit longer to get healed.

We have noticed that she's been going through some cabinets lately in the kitchen so my boyfriend (neema) says maybe her tail got caught on something in one of the cabinets. I'm not sure if that's the case, just because there was no blood at all in any of the cabinets or the kitchen floor. It was outside of the kitchen by the stairs, which makes no sense. Could she have cut herself in the kitchen and walked out of the kitchen before she started to bleed? And also what was the THUMP sound? So this theory is a bit unlikely imo.. but who knows?

Anyway thanks for all your well wishes and thoughts, it has helped me through this time. :)

Deedlet said:
We have noticed that she's been going through some cabinets lately in the kitchen so my boyfriend (neema) says maybe her tail got caught on something in one of the cabinets. I'm not sure if that's the case, just because there was no blood at all in any of the cabinets or the kitchen floor. It was outside of the kitchen by the stairs, which makes no sense. Could she have cut herself in the kitchen and walked out of the kitchen before she started to bleed? And also what was the THUMP sound? So this theory is a bit unlikely imo.. but who knows?

Just a guess, but if this is the case, then a cupboard door could have shut on her tail. This could have hurt it enough that it was painful for her to lift her tail. And this would also be enough pain for her to purr deeply because of the pain. It could also have cut through the skin enough to make it bleed.

fwiw

Dido that your cat is feeling better. And salute your compassion and love for her well being ! ;D

Nienna Eluch said:
Deedlet said:

Just a guess, but if this is the case, then a cupboard door could have shut on her tail. This could have hurt it enough that it was painful for her to lift her tail. And this would also be enough pain for her to purr deeply because of the pain. It could also have cut through the skin enough to make it bleed.

fwiw

Hey All- a quick update-

Yeah what you wrote above is a possibility. I don't know for sure what happened but I know this is a possibility. So we've been trying to bar off all the cabinets she goes to- putting different things in front of them to block off her way of getting in there. I may have to make a trip to the baby store, and buy and install some sort of cabinet lock. Like the way, they do for babies so they don't get in there and start drinking stuff they shouldn't.

Last night I noticed that the cat was in pain and was licking her tail a lot. She re-opened it and it was bleeding for a little bit. I tried cleaning it, but she would barely let me near her. So I gave her some pain killers which calmed her down- and I was able to clean her wound. We took her to the vet this morning, and he said she's doing ok, and gave us a cone for her. I asked him if he should wrap up the wound with a gauze or something, and he said the wound should remain open, because air helps it heal faster and to continue giving her the medicine on time to stop the wound from getting an infection which could lead to an abscess. He also said that since the tail wasn't broken, he doesn't see a reason why the cat shouldn't make a full recovery, but there are times that the nerves are too damaged to fully recover and that her tail may stay bent forever, even though it's actually healed... This made me quite upset but at least it's better than having to amputate her tail due to it being broken.

We have another appointment, next Tuesday for another check-up. This has been a really tough week for me and I'm very emotional today. I can't help it, but the thought of her tail staying bent forever just breaks my heart. Today, I broke down crying because while going to the vet, my boyfriend was talking to me about what's going on in Haiti, and how even people from Gaza are sending aid for the people of Haiti. And it got to me, that I have been so occupied with feeling bad for the cat that I've forgotten what some people are feeling in places like Haiti, Gaza, Iraq. There is just so much wrong these days... I'm feeling so blue. :cry:

Thanks again everyone for your continues support & love :-[

Back
Top Bottom